Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002

3.2

Reviews: 240 | Ratings: 550
4.57/5  rDev +42.8%

Got 12 for a New Years Eve party to give it a try.

A - The bottle has two Rams butting heads. Interesting. Pours a dark brown.

S - Smells just like what you would expect from a doppelbock.

T - Very surprised when I tried it. I have had many Leinenkugel brews before and all seemed a bit skunked to me but this was not. Very, Very Tasty.

M - Very smooth, no offensive aftertaste.

D - O boy, Slammed all 12 and was sad I didn't have more. This is an exceptional drinker. All night type beer. I am saddened that it is only a seasonal brew.

4.57/5  rDev +42.8%

I got this beer with a friend, just to see how it was. Plus we were making the best BEER BRATS you probably can imagine.

I opened one and took a big wiff of it. The smell was great.

Unlike most of the other users I dont have an extensive vocabulary when it comes to describing these types of beers. The smell was very I dont know how else to say, home-y.

The smell was somewhat comforting. And stronger than the actual taste.

The taste blew me away, the smell was way stronger than the smell. I feel like I tried this beer before, There was somthing about it. The after taste was kinda flower-y. I dont know how to describe it.

Mouth feel was great also, not too punishing for my first beer out of the pack, not to mention that after 2 sips we started pouring them on the Brats.

Drinkablilty, Let me just say I could drink this everyday. Its a great tasting, great convo starter (Big Butt lol) and a decently priced beer.

It deserves my rating. And I shall come back to this one on Bratwurst day.

4.51/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Draft pour in a large snifter.
Pleasing reddish caramel color with no head and light lacing.
It has a citrus/cardamum smell. Very nice.
I really like the flavor and it drinks very easily.
Perfect for a bonfire.

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

brownish color with little head. Went down smooth and tastes of chocolate, caramel and hops. To be honest i had bought this beer because of its name but it was declicious beer

4.49/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Just tried this beer and enjoyed it immensely!!

Sorry, I enjoy beer, but I dont really care about the smell of vanilla or the essence of breadiness, yada, yada, yada, yada,yada - give me a break!!!! If ever there was a more clear example of how men have lost their balls in the last 70 years, beer is it. Grow a pair men and actually enjoy the taste, not all the superfluous silliness. Got floral notes in your beer? Then you arent drinking a beer, you are drinking a marketing guy's idea of what his mom liked about tea.

This offering, from one of my favorite brewers from the great State of Wisconsin, has about all that I like in beers. Good beer taste, good head when poured, decent aroma (although not overpowering) when sniffed and a great mouth feel when drank. This beer drinks like a silk glove (not that I have ever done so) it goes down so smoothly.

If I may ask this brewer to please make their brews more available in the southern states. I havent had a Trad Leinie in years. This Doppel sure makes up for that drought!! I enjoy their Canoe Paddler as well. Another great offering from a brewer who understands that beer, when made the way Germany makes it, is pretty much as good as it will get.

As for you floral note sufferers, I feel your pain, but I dont drink your expensive water. Grab a German beer, drink it without a napkin and get a pair.

Enjoy!!

6/29/2016 - follow up note - I just enjoyed a Spaten Optimator, will review momentarily. This Leinie Doppelbock is decidedly less powerful than the Spaten offering. This "big butt" (the goat is the symbol of the doppelbock - get it??!!!) is very good, but pales in comparison to the Spaten. If you prefer a lighter taste, get this beer. If you want liquid bread - get the Spaten. The Spaten is good, dont misunderstand, but it is MUCH more strong in flavor and tastes. Enjoy!!

4.48/5  rDev +40%

It has been a while since I bought this one; it's probably been 6 months'ish and I don't recall what I paid for it. I think that I got it from The Wine Garden in Blackfoot, but don't "me;) Good beer. Nice and beer tasting. A bit on the lite side as far as mouth feel goes, but a good drinker. Extra frothy head for a dopple bock I think and it stuck around for a good 15mins. Oddly little lacing;) Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +35%

Always one of my favorite Leine's beers. I've never found it on the East Coast, but always grab one when I'm back in Wisconsin. Here's the breakdown...

Appearance: Excellent color, good head, poor lacing, though.

Smell: Nice, malty smell.

Taste: The maltiness of the smell doesn't quite live up in the taste department, but most definitely there with a good amount of caramel malts and probably chocolate. More hops than your typical dopplebock, but it doesn't overpower the malt.

Mouthfeel: No real aftertaste (remarkable for a malt-heavy beer), carbonation is excellent and it plays well on the palate.

Drinkability: Quite good. Goes well with food, passes the ballgame test with flying colors, and I've drank it as a session beer as well.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

A refreshing, drinkable doppelbock. Not exactly words you hear used together on this forum. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing qualities of this beer and the lower ABV that made it go down very easily. Beautiful (cola) dark in the glass with a decent, if short-lived head. All malt (the chocolate kind) in the nose with the same in the first sips. A subtle tartness follows and then a touch of bitter roasted flavor that is really a great change of pace from the heavy flavor I expected. This is not a sweet beer and that makes it even better. I'm glad I ran into this at the store. I wish it were more readily available. Leinenkugel's could really make a dent in our local market if they'd send more things like this our way. It will become a regular in my fridge.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

Ordered this one from a bar/restaurant in northeastern Minnesota.

Bartender poured into a towering 22oz glass. Nice head retention throughout my dinner. Aroma was strong on the malty side with very little hop influence. I enjoy a malty beer so it appealed to me. Carbonation was right on as far as I was concerned which led to a smooth mouthfeel. Hints of chocolate were evident upon the initial taste and then the roasted malt flavor took over. I really enjoyed this brew with a fresh walleye dinner. Outstanding.

I heard Leinenkugels will not be brewing this Big Butt again. I'm glad I had the chance to experience the Big Butt.

4.24/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer was around a couple years back and has sense been re-crafted, I must say I rather enjoy it. Taste's like it is mixed with a new castle and oatmeal stout very rich in flavor. You can't drink more then a couple because its really filling, but the taste is good if you like strong beer.

Dark beer
Strong flavor

4.15/5  rDev +29.7%

This was a great doppelbock. It had a fantabulous mixture of hops and malt. There was a subtle hint of hops followed by a nice caramely malt flavor. The color was a nice brown with amber hue. A very good beer, I would definitely order this one again.

4.06/5  rDev +26.9%

If for nothing else, this is the beer that got me off of macro beer and experimenting into microbrews. While this isn't the prime beer for connoisseurs it is an excellent gateway beer for newbies. Liked the roastiness when I had it back in the mid 90's in dark body. Maximum respect. Tell your friends to try this one before offerings like Rasputin... they may not be ready for that yet.

4.06/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance.
Body : Actually pours much darker than anticipated with mahogany and walnut browns dancing together. A touch of copper also shines through when the light hits.
Head : Very creamy, very dense, lasts awhile. 3 fingers, recedes to a creamy ring, stable. Lace sticks to the head and follows it down.

Aroma.
Initial : Darker grains, mostly stale and then overbaked; light plum and tobacco.
With agitation : More bavarian influence with some persimmon and various fruits.

Taste.
Front : Malt assault with rye and caraway. Some tobacco starts to fade behind.
Back : Figgy notes faintly creep in and the smoke and kiln comes out here, ending with a high malt note with some dusty wheat.

Feel.
Creamy and a touch overcarbonated, but still very enjoyable. A distinct dryness on the finish.

Overall : This one surprised me. I like Doppelbocks if they aren't overdone on bubblegum or burnt by alcohol. This one does neither and manages to be sessionable on top of it, therefore nominating this one a winner. Will have again.

4.05/5  rDev +26.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. pours a deep chocolate brown with brilliant garnet highlights. an ephemeral head tops it off, without any lacings.

aroma is of caramel malts above all else, with notes of cinnamon, chocolate, and a touch of alcohol. a rather simple aroma, though well balanced.

taste is of caramel malts as well, joined by cinnamon. a nutty base becomes an undertone for the palate, with a well proportioned profile.

the brew of medium bodied, with a smooth texture and a bit of CO2. no alcohol is present, and the body is rather thin for a doppelbock.

this brew is well balanced, but remains thin in the mouth. the flavor profile is bold enough for a good bock, but the texture is somewhat lacking. one of Leinenkugel's better offerings, but a few steps short of a great brew.

4.02/5  rDev +25.6%

This beer is a dark cola color with two fingers of tan head that vaporized quickly with noisey, soda-like fizzing. It holds steady at a thin layer. Nose is brown sugar, cinnamon, and nut.

I am struck first by a big earhty hop flavor, then bitter deeply rasted dark malt, then sweet sweet nutty-toffee malt. There is a strong cola character and a slightly alcoholic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a little out there I admit. It is oddly light and thin fizzy, stingy carbonation that wafts up into the sinuses.

I really love this beer. It is an odd one, and almost resembles soda more than beer, but what an awesome soda it is eh? I feel its low rating probably comes from the unfortunate name of "Dopplebock" surly it is no mach for any "-ator". It is cheap and damn delicious though.

4.02/5  rDev +25.6%

Another Leinenkugel that I enjoyed for the most part, but was left only a tiny bit (this time) wanting.

I am the sort who prefers Bocks, Doppelbocks, Porters, and Stouts. When I saw a sixer of this at the local supermarket I had to give it a try. Out of the glass it pours a dark but still not completely opaque brown with a dark tan head that has no staying power. The scents from the brew are mild and distant, but I prefer that from some others who are simply too overpowering. Across the board I felt the beer was above average in taste and feel and do believe it is an above average beer overall. I will say this though, it did remind me to the Ayinger Celebrator I had awhile back, not quite in the same league, but still a tasty brew.

4.01/5  rDev +25.3%

pours a very dark and to me pleasing color with a fairly good head that does'nt stay long.smell is kinda malty and very slightly spicey.
mouth-feel for me is just right; not too fizzy or not too bland.flavor is a nice roasted carmel flavor with a slight chocolate flavor hint. goes down real good with the exception of a lingering after-taste
that i didn't care much for. i found that as it warmed to room temp the flavor intesifed somewhat which i like. i also discovered the after-taste issue is not a problem if you are munching on somthing also. over-all i would recommend it if you like a dark hearty beer.
i will sure buy some more.

Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 5.7% This Doppelbock pours out a nice brown color with a nice light brown head. Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock looks like cola. This brew smell rich with grains and malts. You also pick up some sweetness in this brew. The taste is bold with flavor and malts. There is a mild sweetness to this brew. The mouthfeel is bold but smooth. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a solid 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

I found this to be a good little bock for a good little price.
It pours a nice rich, dark color. The head is tan that does fade to only leave slight lace. Not as thick and hardy as other Doppels, but the 5.7% aids or shows a balance to a thinner bodied bock.
The aroma is carmelized malts and dark breads.
The taste is dark roasted malts, toffee, alittle hop but all makes for a good creamy mouthfeel. There are bolder bocks yes, but drinkable thisone is.

3.98/5  rDev +24.4%

I've drank a couple various Dopplebock, and in my opinion they all have about the same taste/ after taste... I seem to be a fan of dopplebock, and i really like this Big Butt Dopplebock.. And were i am from this seems to be pretty popular cuz they cant keep it in stock.. I would recommend trying it.. For about $5.50 a six pack.. u cant go wrong.. Has a nice dark color.. creamy dark tint head.. and i personally love the taste of this beer..

3.95/5  rDev +23.4%

poured a deep mohogany with a short head that fell in a hazy sheet and a tease of belgian lacing.
the aroma is very malty, carmelized malt, hint of hopsack, ever so slight hint of chocolate.
the flavor is rich with malt, noble hop flavor, clean middle, slightly spicy finish. the after taste is very pleasent, i can not put my finder on the flavor but i like it.
the mouthfeel is pretty good.
this beer is rather good, not a big fan of leinie products, but i do like this. even though i think it is a little low on the alcohol. its still a reat tasting beer.

3.92/5  rDev +22.5%

Not a world class beer but nice for the price. Nice ruby color with a small pinkish head with lace tracing on the glass. Aroma is deep sweet malty with medicinal tones. Flavor is straight forward sweet malt, good stuff. Body is thin for a dopple, but drinkable, none the less. Finish is sweet malt all the way with malty aftertaste. Nice beer for the price.

3.92/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured from bottle to tulip glass, dark a a Coke. Decent head retention. Aroma is very nice, roasted malt, and a wiff of citrus? maybe? Taste is mellow, sweet malts. and a bit of licorice, and a definate maple finish. It is not a Celebrator, but, and decent domestic Doppel. Funny, but, if Leinies wasn't owned by MillerCoors, I guarantee this beer would be rated higher. WAY too many raters look at the ownership, and let that get in the way of a true sampling, and rating. Just read some of these ratings, of ANY beer brewed by BMC. No matter if it is a decent beer, the blinders put on by industial beer haters get in the way of true ratings. Again, not an Asam, Celebrator, or Tucher, but, it is a $6/sixer, that is a good alternative to fizzy yellow domestics.

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up as a single in Ohio somewhere due to their lack of choices. However, I was not disapoointed in the selection in the least. Great malt characteristics, balanced by slight chocolate and caramels flavors. Enjoyed this one a bit colder than usual, but it held up well with some North Carolina BBQ. Liked this style as well.

3.88/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Once again, out of the singles cooler at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop, into my reefer and now, into my glass! Man, I love popping in there just to see what's goody in the singles coolers.

From the bottle: "Spring Seasonal Inspired By The Bavarian Tradition With Five Varieties of Malted Barley Brewed With Pride By the Leinenkugel Family Since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "Carefully Brewed By The Leinenkugel Family For Six Generations".

Of course, this beer is being accompanied by Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back" with the review in tribute to Robby Rob Johnston.

I screwed the cap off without difficulty and began an aggro pour that created two-plus fingers of foamy, light-tan head with moderate retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity and garnet highlights. Nose had a chocolaty malty sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was unexpected, almost like a fountain-era Cherry Coke. Mmm. I was just a wee one when the last of the drugstore ice cream fountains closed in the early-1970's, but I have never felt like Cherry Coke in bottles or CANs really hits the mark. This, however, does. I know that there are better iterations of the style out there, but anything that evokes pleasant childhood memories has to be given props. Finish hovered somewhere between semi-sweet and semi-dry. The yeast really did a number on this beer and I am surprised that they held it under 6% ABV. I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone curious about the style, thanks to a) its relatively low ABV and b) its relatively low price point.

Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company