Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002

Liked:
3.27/5
Alströms:

Dark beer that pours perfect in a beer mug, i suggest mug and nothing else besides straight from the bottle. This beer is dark and tastes caramelly, molasses, and has a kick of harsh alcohol bite. This beer should only be consumed in Feb-Apr. When snow is melting. You see grass but there's still patches of snow and ice. You feel spring but not quite there yet, too early for a canoe paddler. This beer is brewed in Wisconsin where lots of snow pours so if you live in a climate where this weather doesn't happen then you more than likely will not appreciate this beer. But these brewers brewed this beer perfectly for what it is so I give it a 5.

4.79/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just bought some, simply because of the name mind you, and was pleasantly suprised and pleased with it

4.75/5  rDev +45.3%

4.75/5  rDev +45.3%

4.65/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

This is definitely a delicious beer

4.57/5  rDev +39.8%

Got 12 for a New Years Eve party to give it a try.

A - The bottle has two Rams butting heads. Interesting. Pours a dark brown.

S - Smells just like what you would expect from a doppelbock.

T - Very surprised when I tried it. I have had many Leinenkugel brews before and all seemed a bit skunked to me but this was not. Very, Very Tasty.

M - Very smooth, no offensive aftertaste.

D - O boy, Slammed all 12 and was sad I didn't have more. This is an exceptional drinker. All night type beer. I am saddened that it is only a seasonal brew.

4.57/5  rDev +39.8%

I got this beer with a friend, just to see how it was. Plus we were making the best BEER BRATS you probably can imagine.

I opened one and took a big wiff of it. The smell was great.

Unlike most of the other users I dont have an extensive vocabulary when it comes to describing these types of beers. The smell was very I dont know how else to say, home-y.

The smell was somewhat comforting. And stronger than the actual taste.

The taste blew me away, the smell was way stronger than the smell. I feel like I tried this beer before, There was somthing about it. The after taste was kinda flower-y. I dont know how to describe it.

Mouth feel was great also, not too punishing for my first beer out of the pack, not to mention that after 2 sips we started pouring them on the Brats.

Drinkablilty, Let me just say I could drink this everyday. Its a great tasting, great convo starter (Big Butt lol) and a decently priced beer.

It deserves my rating. And I shall come back to this one on Bratwurst day.

4.52/5  rDev +38.2%

4.51/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Draft pour in a large snifter.
Pleasing reddish caramel color with no head and light lacing.
It has a citrus/cardamum smell. Very nice.
I really like the flavor and it drinks very easily.
Perfect for a bonfire.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

brownish color with little head. Went down smooth and tastes of chocolate, caramel and hops. To be honest i had bought this beer because of its name but it was declicious beer

4.48/5  rDev +37%

It has been a while since I bought this one; it's probably been 6 months'ish and I don't recall what I paid for it. I think that I got it from The Wine Garden in Blackfoot, but don't "me;) Good beer. Nice and beer tasting. A bit on the lite side as far as mouth feel goes, but a good drinker. Extra frothy head for a dopple bock I think and it stuck around for a good 15mins. Oddly little lacing;) Cheers!

4.44/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev +35.8%

4.41/5  rDev +34.9%

Great beer. Glad they brought it back

4.36/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smooth easy drinking beer. Great for having a few and not filling up while your buddies drink their crap beer :)

4.32/5  rDev +32.1%

Always one of my favorite Leine's beers. I've never found it on the East Coast, but always grab one when I'm back in Wisconsin. Here's the breakdown...

Appearance: Excellent color, good head, poor lacing, though.

Smell: Nice, malty smell.

Taste: The maltiness of the smell doesn't quite live up in the taste department, but most definitely there with a good amount of caramel malts and probably chocolate. More hops than your typical dopplebock, but it doesn't overpower the malt.

Mouthfeel: No real aftertaste (remarkable for a malt-heavy beer), carbonation is excellent and it plays well on the palate.

Drinkability: Quite good. Goes well with food, passes the ballgame test with flying colors, and I've drank it as a session beer as well.

4.31/5  rDev +31.8%

Great look, aroma, and flavor. Nice and Smooth finish. Very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

This beer just pops. It's crisp, smooth, and has a great malty secondary (aftertaste)

4.26/5  rDev +30.3%

Pretty tasty beer, few days late on the review, but I would recommend this for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

A refreshing, drinkable doppelbock. Not exactly words you hear used together on this forum. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing qualities of this beer and the lower ABV that made it go down very easily. Beautiful (cola) dark in the glass with a decent, if short-lived head. All malt (the chocolate kind) in the nose with the same in the first sips. A subtle tartness follows and then a touch of bitter roasted flavor that is really a great change of pace from the heavy flavor I expected. This is not a sweet beer and that makes it even better. I'm glad I ran into this at the store. I wish it were more readily available. Leinenkugel's could really make a dent in our local market if they'd send more things like this our way. It will become a regular in my fridge.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

Ordered this one from a bar/restaurant in northeastern Minnesota.

Bartender poured into a towering 22oz glass. Nice head retention throughout my dinner. Aroma was strong on the malty side with very little hop influence. I enjoy a malty beer so it appealed to me. Carbonation was right on as far as I was concerned which led to a smooth mouthfeel. Hints of chocolate were evident upon the initial taste and then the roasted malt flavor took over. I really enjoyed this brew with a fresh walleye dinner. Outstanding.

I heard Leinenkugels will not be brewing this Big Butt again. I'm glad I had the chance to experience the Big Butt.

Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company