Leinenkugel's Apple Spice | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Added by battlekow on 11-03-2005

3.31/5  rDev +5.8%

A buddy of mine from work gave this to me after he said he didn't like it. "Here this tastes like crap, why don't YOU drink it"....lol

It poured pale light yellow with no head. It looked like a bud the minute I poured it.
Aroma's of apples and cinnamon reached my nose I it was pleasent. Along the same lines as Dogbrick, "if it was a canle, I'd burn it".
The taste was way too sweet and syrupy. It was like a malt beverage from the likes of Bartles and James. Too much apple and cinnamon not enough beer.
Felt very carbonated like champagne and was just too much for me so I gave to my wife who enjoyed the rest.
If I'm offered this I'd drink it again but I doubt I'll ever buy it.

1.96/5  rDev -37.4%

Disappointing. Toured their brewery in Oct '05 & the Lienies staff was hinting ab this great new seasonal beer. My wife and I actually agreed on something...this beer was unacceptable.
A: OK, average, nothing impressive or stand out-ish.
S: Not impressive, almost a stale spice smell, an old Xmas decoration funk.
T: Unpleasant. I actually made a face (my wife told me). Was like a stale, cardboardy, spice, but
M: Average, nothing exciting
D: Again, not impressed. Didn't finish the one I had poured, and the remainder of the sixer sits in the 'fridge for emergency/desperation use only.

2.96/5  rDev -5.4%

It poured an active golden clear brew with a good size, soft pillow like, white head. Good carbonation as the glass remains very active while little to no fizz was noticed.
The aroma was of fresh apple cider. The taste broke it down as sour apple, cinnamon, orange peel and spice.
The mouthfeel was soft as a slight dry finish was left.
This is something you would have to be in the mood for.

3.04/5  rDev -2.9%

Clear golden color with a medium thin and fizzy white head. Thin, spotty lacing. Great apple archard smell really goes with the season. Dry, crisp body with a cinnamon applesauce flavor that unfortunately does not live up to the smell. Tastes pretty much like an apple soda. The finish is dry, short and apple-y. If this were a candle I’d burn it, but I won’t drink it again for awhile.

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%

Got this on tap at The Barryland Pub. It was a golden brew. It had no head. It made no lace. It was not very bubbly. The smell was of apple and cinnamon. A bit like cheap wine. The flavour was apple and cinnamon. With a bit of cheap wine thrown in. It was really much too sweet for my liking. Light in body. I am fairly sure this beer was not developed for a target group of people like me. One serving at most. Maybe one split between me and some skank. Just not my cup of apple flavoured chick juice. It was free though.

3.36/5  rDev +7.3%

Holy Appletini batman, this is a beer? High points for creativity for those 97 people who care, but man, this is a beer? This tastes more like apple cider than strongbow!!! I'm honestly not even sure how to review this beer. If you want to know taste and mouthfeel all you have to do is carbonate some good apple cider (the brown kind) and throw in a ton of cinnamon and there ya go. Wow. Personally,I didn't like it, it was just too out there, but I see how someone could dig it. Particularly if that someone were an attractive 16 year old . . . Hmmm . . . .yesss . . . .
Cool to try, not worth the buy.

2.97/5  rDev -5.1%

From the makers of Berry Weisse, we present Apple Spice - your holiday season equivalent.

Pours a hazed pale yellow with a sudsy white head. Strong cidery, spiced apple aroma is detected a few feet from my pint. Inviting, if you like that sort of thing, which I don't mind. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and with ample carbonation. Sweet sugary apple front with hints of cinnamon. Malt flavor turns sour toward the back and leaves you with a seltzer-like finish.

Overall, it's not half-bad. Not as well crafted as say, New Glarus' Apple Ale, but not offensive either.

3.27/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz bottle. Slightly hazy, lemony appearance with a fast receding head and moderate lace. Aroma is of apples and spice - natch - but not cloyingly so. The taste hits the back of the tongue with a tangy and tart apple cider flavor. The spice flavors emerge as the apple recedes, and then fades away. A lingering hop flavor remains.

As other reviewers have noted, this actually tastes better as it warms up. Not your normal Leinie phenomenon. My wife took a sip, made a face, and called it "alco-pop". I actually kind of like it. I don't think I could drink several of these, but once in awhile would be good. An interesting diversion.

1.8/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was very unimpressed with this Leiny offering. An extremely light pale yellow color on the pour. Small off whitish head. Smells strong on apples but it has this fakeness to it which throws me off. Flavor begins with that fake apply taste then turns super sweet and cloying instantly. Cinnamon and sugar come across in the finish. Terrible beer. Almost more like a very poorly made apple cider. A good beer for people who don't like beer.

3.79/5  rDev +21.1%

12 ounce bottle. Leinenkugel's Apple Spice pours out a clear yellow color with a small, white head. Sweet apple aroma, like a candy apple. A little bit of cinnamon in the aroma too. The flavor is dominated by the apple flavor. Sweet, but also a little tart, which I like. Very candy like. Behind the apple flavor, there is some grain. The grain flavor is just a little off, but it provides a beery flavor. Otherwise, this beverage is very unbeer-like. Light to medium mouthfeel. The drinkability is actually pretty good considering the sweetness. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I enjoy this beer.

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

Light lemony yellow, clear with some steady bubbles. Solid inch high bright white foam on top. Settles to a thick skim always present and a nice curtain of lace starts it off as it dwindles into inky strings.

Aroma is pretty nice with mushy brown apple parts, a bit of fresh redness and skins, pleasing little touch of cinnamon and sugar. A bit like the apple pies from McDonald's.

Taste is quite light, smoothingly crisp in its own sort of appley way, watery apple mix upfront, gets a partial sugaryness in the middle. The cinnamon floats in across the finish helping with a nudge of pie filling type mushyness and light doughy breadyness, which helps add some depth to this otherwise fairly average taster.

Feel is fairly smooth with a fair and favorable carbonation, not brisk nor too lively, body is a tender shade of lighter sided. But keeps a small push into some rounded malty sweetness behind the apple flavors.

Not a bad beer really. About what I was expecting out of Leine's. Drinkability is good, perhaps it could get a bit tiresome with the flavors after awhile. I found it to be a simple, well made brew that would possibly please any fan of apples or apple pie.

4.11/5  rDev +31.3%

COLD
Pours a rather unappealing color (reminds one of a certain bodily fluid) with a sticky 1/2 head that hangs around for awhile. Smells great, kind of like apple juice.

Taste: If you are excpecting a "cider" you're in for a disappointment. This is definately beer, albiet an unusual one. Tastes like a macro light lager infused with apple, a little cinnamon, and maybe honey. Mouthfeel is nice and fairly lively. This an extremly drinkable beer.

HOT
I warmed some and dropped in a cinnamon stick and got an entirely different experience. Color same, got a monster head, but oddly not until I added the cinnamon. Some sort of chemical reaction? Smell actually can be a bit much when heated, becomes very kind of sour and pungent.
Tastes more complex, cinnamon makes the apple taste different, more like a cooked apple than a fresh one, honey flavor of the chilled beer gives in to a slight malt character. Pretty nice. I reccomend getting some of that Cinnebon popcorn to go with, pretty indulgent.

Also cooked with this beer and it was great! This beer is lots of fun to play with even if its not exactly a masterpiece. At a pre-tax price of less than 5 dollars a sixer, Lienies has never let me down.

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz brown longneck with the flashy holiday label. No freshness dating.

The beer pours a lighter than expected lightly hazy gold with a decent head.

The aroma is strong. Lots of apple juice and a bit of spice. Some malt/grain is present underneath.

The taste is very apple like, but the beer roots seem to keep it a bit in check. Its sweet, but not overly so. Cinnamon is present (it reminds me a bit of a bear claw, for you non Midwesterners, that is a large glazed apple cinnamon pastry). A bit dry and cider like late.

Decent almost crisp mouth. This is a once in a while type beer. May be worth trying mulled as the commercials suggest. Glad to see Leinies try something new.

3.24/5  rDev +3.5%

Pale, light gold color. Slightly hazed. Airy, white head. Frothy and small. Nose is thick with sweet apples and cinamon. Actually smells really good. Better than most ciders I've smelled. Sweet apples mix with a grainy malt base to form a bit of an awkward overall impression. Seems like a honey type of dryness is present as well. When I think back to the Apple Ale from New Glarus, this one really doesn't compare. The slight grainy astringency just doesn't meld with all that apple sweetness. Light-medium body with an overall fizzy type of mouthfeel. Glad I found this as a singel cuz I wasn't about to get a sixer of this.

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours slightly cloudy, with a very faint yellow color.
Acidic cider scent with a very faint cinnamon backdrop.
Cloying sweet dominates the flavor. Creamy cinnamon end. What the fuck.
Highly carbonated and way artificially full bodied, too sweet to session.

3.35/5  rDev +7%

A: Light golden yellow, head pours thick and quickly recedes into thin ring around the glass.

S: Pretty much smells like Honey Weiss with apples and cinnamon added. Not a very complext smell, still moderately inviting.

T: So here's where I think this one loses a couple points. Not a bad taste, but most definitely not what I was expecting or hoping for. I picked up essentially three tastes from this: 1) Honey Weiss, 2) apple/cinnamon flavor (a little fake tasting I might add), and 3) a slightly yeasty bread at the finish with lingering chemical apple taste. I don't want people to say that I think this is a horrible beer, it's not. Just not quite up to par with other Leinie's beers.

M: Not a bad mouthfeel, moderate carbonation on the tongue, smooth, medium body... I think this is the best part of the beer which it seems was pretty much just a product of their basic Leinie's base...

D: I could maybe have a couple of these a night every now and again. Maybe keep a sixer around for the occasion, but this isn't something I could drink a lot of or often.

Overall, I'd say it's worth a shot, nothing extraordinary, but different enough from most beers to try it out.

2.13/5  rDev -31.9%

On-tap at Old Chicago Eden Prairie. This beer poured much lighter than what i was exoecting, a hazy gold color with a little white head. Smell was very sweet and appey, as was the flavor. The taste was reminiscent of so many fruit beers, with the uncontrolled sweet flavor of the fruit covering up the flavors that make a beer beer. Light grain, with very sweet apple cider flavors and some cinnamon, but it is easy to tell that this is not a well-made beer. A good transition beer for alcopop lovers.

2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Beer poured a pale yellow with ample fluffy white head. It quickly receded to a small ring. The aroma was mostly apple, almost like apple cider. The taste is like a bad cider. Apples then spice then apples. I almost gave the beer a lower rating for the taste. This is a light bodied beer. I will not be getting this beer again.

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

For some reason, this beer has been sparking my curiosity since I read about it. I am not the biggest fan of fruit beers, but for some reason, this was one that I wanted to try really bad. Maybe it's the feeling of the fall season and it just seems to fit in this time of the year.I finally found this beer in Sioux City after looking all over Omaha for it.

The aroma of apples hit me as soon as I twisted off the cap. I poured it into a goblet style glass (Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass). A nice hazy appearance with a white head about two fingers wide. Head disappeared after a few minutes.

A light to medium feel that can be really drinkable and refreshing at first, but the apple flavor tends to get overbearing half way through. I think this beer would be good during the summer months as well.

Nice in small doses, though I think this is more for those who enjoy ciders more than beer. The apple is dominant in this drink and doesn't allow enough of the beer to make an appearance.However, I do think it is a decent offering from Leinenkugels and I am glad to have the opportunity to try this sparkling brew.

3.62/5  rDev +15.7%

The Leinenkugel's Apple Spice pours from the bottle a clear light golden yellow with a half inch of spritzy, bubbly white head on top. Some nice patchy lacing forms on my glass as the bubbles fall. Aromas of pale grainy maltiness collide with a suprisingly fresh pressed apple aroma along with a big dose of ground cinnamon. Not overpowering...actually quite nice.

First sip brings an interesting mix of sweet cereal grains along with an equally sweet burst of apple cidery flavors. Definetly a sweet fruit beer but it doesn't become cloying. Spicy cinnamon notes run wild all over the place as the brew finishes with a appley grainy huskiness. An interesting collision between apple cider and beer.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a bit of creaminess and steady carbonation throughout. Goes down smooth with both an odd and unique flavor profile. It's nice to see Leinenkugel's throwing something new out there..overall I'd say this is a good fruit beer that captures the holiday season. If you don't like apples & cinnamon or apple cider...stay away...but if you do then give this one a shot.

Upon mulling the rest of my bottle the apple and cinnamon in the nose seems to jump out even more and the carbonation becomes more effervescent. Wow....this is the first beer I've ever warmed up and it's really quite enjoyable. If you pick this one up make sure to try it heated up. I'm glad I ended up picking this up out of sheer curiousity!

2.86/5  rDev -8.6%

Had one at a buddy's house while playing poker. Served in an imperial pint glass.

Appearance -- Light, hazy, gold color with a nice, clean white head.

Smell -- Initial smell is pleasant . . . sweet apples. Take another whiff and it begins to smell like Apple Pucker. The smell is the most interesting aspect of this beer, but I wasn't overly impressed due to the artificial Pucker scent.

Taste -- Way too sweet and artificial tasting. From what I've read, the brewery uses fresh Wisconsin apples. That may be, but the taste doesn't feel natural to me at all. Berry Weiss is by far a superior tasting fruit beer. No comparison.

Mouthfeel -- Not bad. Medium feel to it. You can chew on it.

Drinkability -- I'm happy I had the opportunity to try this beer and happy that I didn't have to spend my own money to try it. The appearance and smell are intriguing, but they grow old real quick. Taste is artificial and overly sweet. It's kind of what I expected. I don't plan on having this beer again. If given the chance, I'd have to respectfully decline.

3.35/5  rDev +7%

Pours to a slightly hazy golden color with a decent size white head. Leaves a bit of lacing when sipped down. The aroma is sweet of sour apples and a touch of cinnamon. It reminds me of sour apple Jolly Ranchers. The flavor is sweet with a green apple flavor throughout. There is also just a touch of cinnamon as well.

It is almost like an overly sweet cider, except there is a slight malt flavor in the back. It is light in body and a bit cloying. The apple aroma and flavor seem to be more of an additive then actual apples.

Unique, not terrible, but not something I would session due to its sweetness. The radio ad says to try it "heated up". I might try to mull one, but I won't expect too much.

2.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Medium greenish yellow, slight chill haze, small compact head of white color. Laces pretty well on the glass. Its aromatic and the smell travels, but its a lot like a sweet cider or even Apple Jacks cereal. Mouthfeel is lighter, carbonation prickly. A reasonable apple flavor starts out the flavor profile but its immediately undercut by a wallop of a sugary cinnamon note that's almost like a stool being kicked out from under it. Deteriorates from there, finishes with odd scratchy tones, pencil lead, and an anti-perspirant flakey flavor. Drank this one cold, I can't imagine the spice characters getting better on mulling, but I suppose it could be boiled down as a marinade for pork. This stuff is selling very well locally.

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Mediocre pale gold color is saved by a wonderously large and retentive head and a decent haze.

Smells like apple spice cider and malt liquor. Not bad, surprisingly, thought not good. No complexity. Just candy sweetness.

Warm apple spice flavor upfront, mixed with cinamon, growing into sweet, tart apples in the middle, and then dying on a note of smooth adjunct grain. The whole product is strange. Not good, really, but certainly not bad. Just strange. Certainly puts me in a Christmas mood.

3.46/5  rDev +10.5%

A friend gave me a bottle to try...not sure I would have purchased this myself. Doesn't make a good first impression..pours a cloudy yellow color with a thin white head..pretty much nothing for lacing due to the bubbly, white head. The smell is light apple and (what do ya know, spices). Not overly complex, but smells fresh and festive. The cinnamon character comes out a bit in the taste as well, and blends in well with the fresh taste of apple. I'm not sure if I could have more than a couple of these in a sitting, but it was pretty nice to try, at least. This was a fairly unique beer for me, as I can't remember trying an actual apple beer before. For $5.99 a sixer, it's actually a Leine's offering that may be worth purchasing. I'm a bit reluctant to have one warm, like the box suggests, but I may just give it a try.

Leinenkugel's Apple Spice from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company