1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Belgian Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Ratings: 2,417 |  Reviews: 911
Reviews by tut2528:
3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%

This is arguably the cheapest Witbier one can get. At Wal-Mart, six packs in my area sell for a little under six dollars. So if this is a winner, it's gonna be a winner on several levels.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (4.25) : I'm already impressed. I just reviewed Wasatch's lame attempt at a witbier (twice as much and harder to find) and this one is already looking better. Nice three fingered creamy head with a thick, hazy mango nectar appearance. I love the depth, and the opacity is about 70%. The haze tells me there's genuine unfiltered wheat here. The head stays put quite well and has only receded a little bit to a two fingered head within the last minute of starting this review. Lacing is left in licks and rings on the glass.

Aroma (4.25) : Oh dear. Honey, ginger, orange, a little coriander. It's all here. Some toffee and caramel notes...it just smells heavenly. It's like orange sherbet from when I was a kid at grandma's house. Just...wow.

Taste (3.5) : A bit watery, with hints of wheat, and then at the end there's an orange dreamsickle punch that just hits the back of your tongue sweetly. Finishes with a club soda/orange sherbet finish. I would have liked more body and depth but for a $6 six pack, I can't be too upset.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, medium bodied - if a bit watery, and a yeasty finish.

Overall (3.81) : For as cheap as it is, it's an easy drinking wheat beer. It scratches the surface of the witbier style but can't quite compete with the likes of Hoegaarden or Weihenstephaner. I would buy this beer again, and yes by the six pack. It's easy drinking and very sessionable.

4.61/5  rDev +36.8%

OK.... let's get this out of the way. This is a hot summer day or night "I wish I had a beer right now" kinda beer. I love the fruityness of this beer! I'm a shandy-wheat beer kinda guy. Let's put it this way. I haven't met a wheat or shandy that I couldn't drink...ever! If you haven't figured it out for yourself, it's blueberry! And orange! It's awesome. On the list of top 5 beers for this guy. It's great all year round, every single person, at every BBQ at our place has said " hmmm....thats good. Period!

2.52/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured hazy orange..smell is citrusy...taste is of orange peel with slight hint of licorice...don't really detect any hop presence here...mouthfeel is about what u would expect from a wheat beer.
Overall, I wasn't really "feelin" this beer...the licorice taste turned me off a bit...and honestly, I would have done better buying a nice German Hefe....This one is NOT for me...

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a pint glass pours an incredibly cloudy dark golden liquid. Looks thick, like a deeeep hefeweizen. Very thick and pillowy white head. Light only barely passes through. It's substantial! Thick swath of lace remains on the inside of the glass.

Massive aromatic combination of wheat and fruity lemon. It is unique. Not quite a wit, not quite a hefeweizen; it's exactly halfway.

The taste is a strong wheat smell with a combination of some lemon and orange peel. Major orange sherbet flavor; who woulda thunk that? Almost like a dessert beer. The sweetness is really overwhelming toward the end.

The feel is creamy and nice. None of the chewy orange juice feel of a hef, but all the fruity flavor. It's a unique beer; like a smooth, creamy hefeweizen. Has the taste of a hef and the feel of a witbier. Very solid selection.

2.46/5  rDev -27%

Got this in a 6 pack from the Grub Mart here in J'ville. 12oz bottle poured into a pint tumbler.

A: A light golden (golden might be a stretch), with a weak head that vanished quickly.

S: Smelled first and foremost like candied fruit extract. Then you get a little of the wheat.

T: Glad I am not the only one that noticed it tasted like fruity pebbles. Wasn't expecting this and it really turned me off. All I could taste was fruity pebbles.

M: Has a creaminess to it that I wasn't expecting after the taste. This is the only redeeming factor of this beer to me.

D: Not for me. Was not expecting a fruity beer and then I got slapped in the face with one. Not impressed and won't drink again.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

"Pull date" stamped on bottle neck. In this case, 10110 = 10-11-2010.

Pours completely hazed dark straw, with a nice, creamy white head. Smell is grainy fresh and fruity as all get out - Fruit Loops and Fruity Pebbles come to mind. Taste is a little more mellowed out than the smell, but seriously, this tastes like beer cereal. I suppose it's carbonated ok.. but the finish is a little thin, quick, and sour for my taste. A novelty, but interesting, also for the fact that this beer seems to be pretty popular. Enough for it to replace Leinies I liked, such as Big Butt and Northwoods.

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.86/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer is exceptional. This is hands down the best beer I have ever had. It provides a delicious, malty sweetness and a powerful citrusy aftertaste. This beer is not bitter at all so if you're looking for that this isn't the beer for you but if you want something sweet and delicious, this is the beer for you.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Fairly genuine blueberry flavor comes through very distinctly and blends well with some of the tart wheat flavors, but sort of clashes with the yeasty banana/bubblegum character.

It’s sweeter than most American wheats and quaffable at first, but, personally, I found the blueberry flavor to eventually become cloying.

Not terrible, but I got tired of it quickly.

1.76/5  rDev -47.8%

Beer poured a very cloudy banana color with very little head. The smell is a bit of yeast and very strong citrus flavoring. It is the same in taste. It almost tastes like they used some super citrus candy extract to create this flavor because it is almost unnatural. Not pleasant at all and I really wanted to like this beer. Carbonation was sharp, and in pair with the flavor really sealed the deal on this brew not being worth it. I am shocked to see the ratings that others have given it. Lord I just hope the lines were dirty at the bar.

1.46/5  rDev -56.7%

I feel dooped. The package is so inviting! However that is where the fun time ended... The cap twisted off and the fruity aroma hit my nose. I poured my cloudy beer into an imperial pint glass and noticed the lumps of things free floating. I know unfiltered is unfiltered but whoa! A fork may be needed. But always an optimist I began the quaff and felt my tastebuds getting mugged! Fruit explosion! More than should be in any beer! UCK! There was one brief moment when I thought I could taste pepper or maybe corriander but then the fruit overwhelmed it once and for all...

Over all this beer is a major disapointment. I was hot & thirsty. I was looking forward to

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This goes down smooth and leaves blueberry after taste. The fruity flavor is pretty good, but it depends on your preference - I'm not a huge fan of the fruit flavor.

I've also had Wild Blue which has a similar taste but more alcohol.

1.) Wild Blue - Similar, kool-aid flavor, 8% alcohol.

2.) Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat - Nice, smooth, 4.9% alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

Sampling right now on 10/18/14, though I had it on tap back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Leinenkugel's" shaker pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden-amber in color with a good 1+-finger creamy/foamy white head that settles down to around 2-3mm that lasts the whole drink. Decent sheets of lacing is seen that slips back down the sides of the glass except a few small areas that stick. The aroma is of grains and some citrus zest with a hint of spice. The taste starts out sweet with a slight bitter lemon/orange zest but finishes decent and doesn't last. Seems to be a hint of pine in the mix also. Lighter+ bodied with average carbonation. Overall, it was decent and drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured a hazy amber color with modest white puffy head. Smell is a nice combination of spices, bananas, and some summer fruits (apricot, peaches) . Taste is also fruity with someotes of raspberry and lemon to be found. Finished is summer refreshing with nice mothfeel, though a bit thin. A nice drinking beer, very refreshing.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a pint.

A: Dark cloudy straw. Almost opaque. Light carbonation pours into a 1 finger bubbly white head. Settles quickly into a thin layer of bubbles on surface. A little beer clingage to the sides of the glass, but the very little lacing retreats quickly into the body of the brew.

S: Strong wheat and honey aroma.

T: Wheat is prominent, some yeast, a little sweet, hint of hops, hint of citrus.

M: Wheat initially, sweet honey aroma filters up into the nose. Leaves a subtle hoppy aftertaste, lemon, and honey.

D: Good drinkabilty. Flavorful, light, refreshing.

This brew has a nice nose, and an pretty good palette. Nice combination of flavors, good balance, no strong alcohol taste. Overall, nice quaff.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company