Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,378 |  Reviews: 907

I actually bought this by accident. I meant to get Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and this just happened to be in the wrong spot, but I didn't notice until I got home because the packaging color is the same. I usually like wheat beers, but this was pretty awful in my opinion. This is one of only two beers that I haven't been able to finish. (Which is saying something because if I start drinking a beer, regardless of it's my favorite or not, I'm going to try my best to finish it).

1.06/5  rDev -68.5%

First, let me say my benchmark for a wheat style beer is
Hacker Pschorr Weiss (with no lemon).
Spied the Leiny at the store. Looked interesting.
I drank and liked other Leiny products in the past, but this stuff was awful. Nowhere on the packaging or label does it mention anything about a fruit taste or hint of fruit.
The blueberry taste was overpowering. Blech. So sorry, Leiny. I've always considered you a reputable brewery and still do, but this stuff is just plain bad.

1.15/5  rDev -65.9%

The apperance is the only thing that impressed me (or should I say "fooled" me) about this beer.

Poured into a frosted mug, this beer looked beautiful. Dark golden-wheat...thought I was in for a treat.

Smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability AWFUL!!!

All I can say for all catagories is "perfume".

Yuk! Not even sure I would wear it as a cologne.

Sorry Leiny...I normally love your beers; but someone screwed up o this one.

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

1.4/5  rDev -58.5%

A- Cloudy golden appearance with very little head

S- Heavy citrus, near overpowering

T- I didn't know Tang (tm) made beer. The orange citrus flavor completely dominated any other flavors trying to compete.

I was very surprised by the flavor of this beer. I guess my first sign should have been the orange slice on the tap handle. The beer was far too sweet for my tastes, and failed to satisfy as a wheat beer.

1.42/5  rDev -57.9%

Terrible beer... if you can call it that. It was like drinking fermented pop. I generally like Leine but this was just an awful one to try and finish. Almost no head, any foam at the beginning fizzed away in seconds like a club soda. Doesn't even taste like hops were used in making it.

1.44/5  rDev -57.3%

I'm reviewing this beer from "notes" (consisting, in part, of vivid nightmares!!). I try really hard to like a beer, and have found few that I couldn't drink, but this execrable potion is one. I like most Leinie beers, and wish that some of them were more available in my area....But, when I try to find some Leinies, its usually this stuff that stares me in the face, or some variety pack wherein this "beer" figures prominently.

There's enough sediment in this beer, that it goes way beyond hazy and into the realm of "tainted". The sediment in one bottle was definitely discolored (as in decay). To compare the taste of this beer to Fruity Pebbles, as some have done, would be an insult to Fruity Pebbles. It's more like that old terrible cereal "Boo Berry" (yuck and double yuck)- really fakey fruit taste infused into puffed rice- this sounds not too far off, actually....

I have fond memories of Leinie's in the returnable longnecks-- I wish breweries would bring back this custom. Nowadays, I really like the amber lager, if available, and would really like to try the "creamy dark". But, they really miss with this one. Maybe if they get enough of this crap sent back, they'll replace it with something decent.

1.44/5  rDev -57.3%

A hazy, golden body is topped by a foaming head about 2 1/2 fingers. Looks like beat eggs poured into a glass.
Aroma: Fruit Loops and some floral hops. Is this a cereal? Very sweet
Taste: Fruit Loops again, with a touch of blueberry. A bit odd. Syrupy or fake flavors. Just bad.
Some stale socks aftertaste. This is bad a pint is almost too much. Wouldn't have two. Not sure what this would pair with either. won't have it again.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company