Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,386 |  Reviews: 909
4.11/5  rDev +22%

JLBC has done it again. Very good beer. I drank this beer on 97 degree day in the mid west. This was the most refreshing beer I'd drank all weekend. I wish I'd picked up a 6 pack.

A- Pours a malty golden color with just under an inch of head.

S- Berries, Berrries and more Berries

T- A refreshing taste, even more berry taste than I thought when I smelt it. Full body.

M- Thick full body

Overall: I am not typically a fruity beer type, but this was a very good summer beer. Refreshing.

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours golden with a foamy white head. No lacing and fair retention.

Sweet wheat and yeasty nose. Some spice and fruit.

Ugh - Berry up front. Blackberry? Blueberry? An artificial edge to this. Here comes the wheat, which is husky and has a bitter finish. Some yeast, some...lemon notes. Spice. Some sweet grain, and the ever-present berry in every sip. What a mess.

Lighter bodied, good carbonation.

My hatred for a beer is generally measured by my ability to consume it. This beer has nice structure, appropriate body, and has good color. But the taste is not getting me there--there's alot to this that I am having a hard time consuming. I finished 3/4 and got sick of being lazy, dumped it, and got something else from the cooler. This might be the second one from this brewer that I've really disliked. They obviously know how to brew beer, they just make some very bad choices in the process.

4.16/5  rDev +23.4%

Incredible beer. What a beer of this style should taste like. Refreshing, Smooth, with a hint of Wheat and Citrus.

A - Cloudy gold looking with nice lingering head that never fully dissipates ( or I didnt give it the time to ) .

S - I do average on every beer.

T - Pure bliss. Wheat and Citrus with a smooth feeling.

M - Pure, not bitter, very over powering. every drink leaves you with a desire to drink more before you set your glass down

O - Nearly Perfect.

I poured this one into a pint glass, it has a cloudy golden color body with a nice fizzy white head, which hangs around for a little bit, then faids down to a thin lace. The smell is fruity, i sence some lemon and blueberry and a little bit of wheat. The taste of the first sip is like fruit loops, then the lemon comes out and the blueberry. Then a little bit of hops hits the back of the tongue. Great mouth feel and smooth going down. Overall i think this is a good beer and could drink it more often.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer enjoyed at the abner pub in Norman, ok. This beer pours a hazy golden color with a trace of white bubbly head that retains a little bit, but laces poorly. The aroma is strong with orange, orange, orange, some blueberry an a little spiciness. The taste has wheat notes with an abundance of orange, blueberry and finishes with some spiciness. The mouthfeel is somewhat empty. Overall an ok wheat during summertime... But a little too fruity for my taste.

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%

I had this last night at a friends housewarming party, 12 ounce bottle served into a pint glass, mainly for the curiosity of it. Sunset Wheat... doesn't sound too bad.

A: Hazy golden yellow body with a thick and fluffy white head. Surprisingly it's pretty nice looking though the overall color of the body looks a bit artificial to me. Still, a pretty beer.

S: Lemon, anise, blueberry and some residual bubblegum left in the latter aroma. A fruity, summer and rather confusing nose with the anise becoming more evident as this warmed.

T: Fruity pebbles on the first sip all the way. Really, there's no other way to describe it. Subsequent sips reveal some lemon and artificial blueberry flavoring. When this beer warms, a huge and gross licorice flavor comes through and essentially overwhelms the beer. It turned from something light and fruity to quite disgusting. I can't help but give this a low overall score for the taste, despite it starting with promise.

M: Thin, bubbly and really carbonated. It's pretty light and refreshing as far as the body goes, something you'd enjoy on a hot day for thirst quenching.

Well, I figured this was going to turn out quite bad and it did. I didn't drink this beer fast enough and ended up with a licorice laden blend of fruits and anise. Not enjoyable to me, really, but okay, well I tried it.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

On-tap at the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, "Beers of the World" concession stand (Third Base entrance). Served with a wedge of lemon.

A - Very bright and cheery. Looks light. Small head which dissipated quickly, leaving a bit of lacing behind.

S - Fruity. I don't know about the "fruit loops" smell of the other reviewers here, but it is at least a citrusy-sweet smell. Like an orange. Possibly some coriander, as mentioned in the 'notes' section above.

T - Light - no doubt about it, it's a wheat beer. Also sweet, the lemon slice helps balance it by adding a bit of a tart kick. Quite refreshing.

M - Smooth, but unfortunate sweet film coats the mouth after a while. Eat something with this - peanuts, Cracker Jacks, you know the drill.

Summary - Definitely not a beer to swoon over, but as far as the Ballpark goes, this is one of the better choices. Better than any light beer, refreshing, and a good drink on a hot day. I would drink it again, at the ballgame, but not from a six-pack at home. Recommended with a slice of lemon.

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Recently picked up a Leinenkugel's summer sampler 12 pack for a day of golf. Well, the golf didn't pan out, so I figure I may as well review a few of these.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Lost Coast pint glass.

A) A nice looking inch of white head, perfectly topping off this hazy orange brew. The head was gone quickly. No lacing noted.

S) Really fruity, mostly oranges and blueberry. I actually find the smell very pleasing.

T) Smells better than it tastes. It's wheaty, and fruity, maybe some very, very light hops. Not a fan of the finish.

M) Light to medium body, seems lighter than other wheat beers I've had the pleasure of drinking recently. The carbonation is slightly off for my palate. It just seems a bit fizzy.

O) I don't mind drinking this on occasion, usually with an orange slice. This beer is okay. I would have rather had it golfing, which would have saved me from thinking about what I'd rather be drinking. Oh well, could be worse.

12oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Hazy amber color with a one finger head
S: Smells like a dry sugar-free lemonade mix, with hints of coriander and a slight bubblegum/spearmint gum mix.
T: I agree with those below who mention the fruit loops/fruity pebbles. Primarily what influenced, with just a bit of hops bitterness.
M: Average. Nothing stands out good or bad.
O: An okay beer, but one better suited for drinking cold out of the can after mowing the lawn on a hot day rather than sitting and contemplating.

It should also be noted I get none of the blueberries mentioned in the 'notes' section above, nor does the brewer's info on the box (which does mention the beer being brewed with coriander).

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

appearance- slight yellow to orange coloration with white head that quickly faded away to lacing, murky and cloudy

Smell- alot of fruit and citrus on the nose with touch wheat, overall i pull mostly orange

Taste- the flavor profile of this beer has always reminded me of one thing most clearly above all other fruit loops, it really reminds me of that lol, its mostly mix of citrus /orange notes that linger with moderate level sweetness and end out with with wheat and faint bitterness, the flavor is all right nothing incredible but decent

Mouthfeel- light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability/overall- this beer is all right its nothing i could really session that much cuz to me its just to sweet to really pound away, the flavor is a bit over the top to me in terms of citrus and fruit notes, its just a bit to much for my liking but dont get me wrong this is not a bad beer but just not one i could usually see my self sitting around drinking often

For me this was a completely average wheat beer. I liked it ut nothing stood out. It would be a good baseline wheat beer to try. It is decent all the way around but not great. I consider it a good value beer - not as good as Tom Brady in the 6th round but still good. A beer that you can have a case of.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light orange color. Eggshell colored head bubbles up from the brew then recedes fairly quickly. Just a few spots of lacing.

Fruity aromas. Just like a fresh box of Fruity Pebbles cereal. Different.

Flavors follow the smell for the most part. Complex fruit bouquet of orange, lemon, blueberry and raspberry. Honey and apple sweetness. Not much hop flavor to speak of.

Lighter bodied with just a little texture from the yeast. Lively bubbles.

This stuff isn't too bad. The berry flavors add something a little different. Just a tad better than Blue Moon in my opinion.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%

No CANQuest (TM) reviews for almost a week and THIS close to # 500?!? My allergies had really been acting up and I mistook them for the onset of a cold that hit me harder than it should have and put me OOC during that time. I'm back on the bus, though, Gramma, and I'm ready to roll!

Big ups to BeerWolf77 for being a man of his word and hunting down some Wisco beers in a CAN that I had had on my Wants for a while. CAN the man get some love from a brother? I CAN always use some more CANs for this nonsense. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "Beer with natural flavors"; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel family for five generations"; "Belgian-style Witbier with malted wheat and Cluster hops".

Direct from the Leinie Lodge to my glass, the Crack & Glug produced two fingers' worth of thick, burbling, bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a very cloudy orangish-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was very fruity and cereal-like and previous reviewers' mentions of Froot Loops and Fruity Pebbles were spot on. I have not had that type of cereal in years, but the nose definitely conjured up memories. I even got hints of anise underlying all of the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a riot of fruit flavors on the tongue, a citrusy-lime being the one that stood out. Finish really had a cereal taste to it and for a second I really thought that I was in-taking children's breakfast cereal. I have had better examples of the style, but it was not bad, just kind of odd and sometimes that CAN be good. I would put some in the cooler as a lower ABV alternative and as a refreshing alternative to the many IPAs that I would want for myself.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

This is by far my favorite from Leinie's, I had this beer for the first time at Ozzfest 2007. I was probably charged out the ass for it there but at the time I wanted a beer and I wanted something other than Miller or Coors. This beer was perfect for that blistering hot summer day out in the elements of my least favorite season. Had these been cheaper there I would have gotten a lot more.

The beer had been on my mind till I came across it again at a local bar on tap. I was really stoked to have it again. I ordered up a pint and they dolled it up with an orange slice which I tossed into the glass once I got it. I figured why not?

The beer was a really nice hazy golden orange color with a foamy white head on top what gave off a pretty good lacing. The smell is so refreshing, It's got orange, melon, blueberries, lemon and the some nice grainy aromas coming through. The taste is a sweet but not disgustingly sweet. It's got a great balance in my opinion between the fruity sweetness and the grainy base of the beer. The fruit flavors are dominant throughout the beer but maintain their strength and don't become bland. The mouthfeel is very smooth and lightly carbonated. This beer could easily be drank very quickly. This is my "goto" beer for the summer season. Seldom will I pick something other than this one if it's available.

2.07/5  rDev -38.6%

A - Poured into a weizen glass out of the fridge. Poured a cloudy, golden yellow, looks great. after the large foamy head dissipated there was a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S - Sweet and a bit strange at first, quickly revealing its chemical fruitiness of citrus and artificial blueberries. Really terrible after a few sips.

T - A bit of graininess and a lot of citrus, however once I pinpointed the "fruity pebbles" smell that this beer is infamous for I could only taste these artificial fruity notes.

M - Nothing out of the ordinary here for this style of beer.

O - Really just an okay to subpar beer. The smell really kills it for me, waiting for it to warm up a bit to try it again at a warmer temperature. I wouldn't buy this beer again but it may be a good one to try if you are easing your way into the Wit style.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This goes down smooth and leaves blueberry after taste. The fruity flavor is pretty good, but it depends on your preference - I'm not a huge fan of the fruit flavor.

I've also had Wild Blue which has a similar taste but more alcohol.

1.) Wild Blue - Similar, kool-aid flavor, 8% alcohol.

2.) Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat - Nice, smooth, 4.9% alcohol.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

A-Pours a very hazy ginger ale hue. A loose, bubbly head is born from the pour. It recedes but leaves a small film atop the beer. The lacing is better than expected.

S-A pretty heavy dose of blueberry. The blueberry smells artificial. Also a bunch of lemon too. Citrus, a hint of grain and coriander.

T-The often used "This beer tastes like Fruity Pebbles" is accurate. A bit harsher on the tongue than in the nose, which actually is not a bad thing seeing that the nose did not smell much like beer. A good kick of blueberry, orange, and lemon. Some light grains are present too.

M-Lighter bodied with high carbonation. Not as watery as expected.

O/D-A bunch of my friends who are not beer savvy love this one. It is not as bad as I was expecting but overall I would not purchase it. It sits a a bit rough in the stomach for some reason. But better than expected.

2.52/5  rDev -25.2%

First had: on tap at the TLA, Philly, PA

Poured a cloudy golden with some carbonation, and a foamy two fingers of white head. Garnished with an orange wedge. Citrus and sweet sugars in the aroma. Sweet malty taste, and very citrusy, almost juice-like. Some hop bitterness makes its way through. Light mouthfeel, and fairly drinkable, but a bit on the sweet side for my taste, and lacking the crispness that--to me--defines a good witbier.

2.52/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured hazy orange..smell is citrusy...taste is of orange peel with slight hint of licorice...don't really detect any hop presence here...mouthfeel is about what u would expect from a wheat beer.
Overall, I wasn't really "feelin" this beer...the licorice taste turned me off a bit...and honestly, I would have done better buying a nice German Hefe....This one is NOT for me...

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

This is an above average beer. I gave it 7.3/10, or a C. A very citrusy and “fruit-peel” tasting beer. Has an excellent head and excellent retention, yet the mouthfeel is just right. It’s odd to note that the bubbles in the head are white and much tinier than suds in other beers. Almost like a fine soap bubble. ..I hope there isn’t soap in this beer. This beer is like a cross between beer and orange juice, the wheat is somewhat masked by the coriander. Perhaps it would go good with breakfast. I’d drink it again.

1.91/5  rDev -43.3%

This 12 ounce can of Sunset Wheat came from a Summer Sampler 12-Pack. What a novel idea. "Best" by June 27, 2011. From the label: "Beer with natural flavors." That natural flavors part always worries me. Regardless, I cracked the can open and poured into a weizen glass. A careful pour produced three fingers of foamy white head. Retention is not impressive; however, a lot of lacing is sticking to the glass. The brew is hazy golden with little translucence. Active carbonation can be seen through the glass.

The aroma worries me a bit. The can describes this as a Belgian-style witbier so I was expecting some yeasty orange and coriander. What I'm getting is mostly blueberry with hints of blackberry and a lingering aroma of Froot Loops. It smells sweet although a touch of alcohol can also be noticed on the tail end. I'm not having a good feeling about this.

This is a really weird tasting brew. Have you ever drunk the milk that was left over in your dish after eating a hearty bowl of Froot Loops? This isn't far off from that. If the can was branded "Froot Loops Wheat" then I would say that they nailed it. However, as a Belgian-style wheat they've really missed the mark. The artificial tasting "natural flavors" are pierced by a sharp stinging carbonation that aims to strip away any remnant of beer by liquefying your taste buds. If you can look past all of that, there is somewhat of a wheaty beer underneath it all. Everything within me wants to say that it is terrible; but out of sheer disbelief I cannot stop drinking. Its tastes like fricking Froot Loops!

In the mouth Sunset Wheat is light and lively. It is highly carbonated and surprisingly flavorful (for better or worse). 4.9% ABV is well hidden and not likely to knock you over. Make no mistakes; this is not good beer. I didn't think Leinenkugel could top Summer Shandy in terms of head-scratching awfulness, but this Sunset Wheat is head and shoulders below that mark. Yet somehow I am compelled to crack open another can, if only to reassure myself that I am indeed drinking what I think I'm drinking. Leinenkugel has become the Edward D Wood Jr of brewing.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Sunset Wheat. However, I will be giving out six packs as gag gifts in the foreseeable future. Did I mention that it tastes like Froot Loops?!

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle neck stamped JUN 06 11. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance - Big white head with moderate retention and great lacing. Light foggy amber body.

Smell - Strong orange. Moderately depth and sweetness.

Taste - Slight bitterness and a touch of alcohol in the finish. Considering the sweetness of the smell, it has surprisingly little sweetness in the taste. Almost none in the body, and a small touch in the aftertaste. Very balanced malt to hop here. Slightly more on the light side but not watery.

Mouthfeel - Decent heady texture on top of a good medium body.

Overall Drinkability - Refreshing and balanced. Good overall drink.

A - Creamy two-finger white head. Cloudy orange-yellow body.

S - Very sweet...almost too sweet - blueberries, bananas and sugar. Maybe a little bit of orange as well.

T - I'm relieved that the taste isn't overly sweet. Slightly sweet but nice and tart as well, especially in the aftertaste. Grapefruit and blueberries.

M - Nice carbonation and creaminess. Very well balanced.

O - The first time I had this beer was on tap in a bar in Austin and I was blown away. I'd love to try it on tap again. Still a solid beer when bottled. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

I purchased a six-pack of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat on a whim because it was on sale. I had never (and still haven't) tried another Leinenkugel, so this was my first experience with the company.

The "Sunset Wheat" is a refreshing little beer. It pours a nice golden color similar to its contemporaries. There is indeed a little bit of a head, but it isn't massive. After pouring, I was struck by the strong aroma of a blueberry muffin. I can not adequately articulate just how much like a blueberry muffin it tastes like, but take my word for it.

What's more is that it tastes exactly like it smells: a blueberry muffin. However, I'm sure that this is a good thing. I'm not one who generally enjoys "fruit" tasting beers, but this is an exception. I actually enjoyed the blueberry flavor.

Is this a beer that I'd want to drink every day, year-round? No, certainly not. But, on a warm summer day, it could be enjoyable.

Give it a whirl.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on-tap tonight at the Cavs game. I was originally going to wait until the middle of the summer to give this one a try because I figured it would be a great summer beer and I was right. I won't give it a full review but I agree with what has already been said this beer tastes like fruity pebbles. The beer is on the sweet side but for me the berry / fruit flavor didn't make the sweetness a turnoff. Overall I enjoyed it and it would be something I would only drink again in the summer.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company