Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,378 |  Reviews: 907
3.32/5  rDev -1.2%

Does anyone else taste Fruity Pebbles when drinking this beer? It certainly is a refreshing summer beer, but I can't get over the fact that it tastes like my favorite childhood cereal. I personally wouldn't buy more than a pint or so, but my parents seem to enjoy it.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

The pour in my pilsner glass resulted in a two finger head of rich white foam which settled down to a light covering of wispy lace on the surface and sides of the glass. Color is a cloudy amber, rating a 8 on the SRM beer color chart. Rich aroma of berries and wheat, with a hint of spices. The taste was not expected from the smell. A rich cascade of rose flavored spices, light orange, mulberry, and rich malt and aged wheat. Full body rush over my tongue and palate, ending with a sort of raspberry finish on the back of my throat. Yes I would like to drink this again. I would like to share this with my drinking buddies, as they would be in for a surprise in wonderful taste.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at the Yardhouse in Dedham. Served in a standard pint glass. Cloudy yellow body with a fizzy white head. Smell had a bit of citrus to it. Taste was a bit unusual. I find it odd that there was a hint of blueberry in a witbier. I still cannot figure out why every Leinie beer I try has some weird Fruity Pebbles cereal fake fruit flavor in it. I guess that's their marketing angle. Mouthfeel was decent for the style; fairly smooth. Drinkability was just average in my book. I wanted to have something easy at the end of the night, and I end up with this fruity beer. I should have just ordered a witbier that I knew was good. This just re-enforces my belief that I have not found a Leinie beer that I like yet. Will I keep searching? Not sure.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this at my local beer store just for the heck of it. Actually got up to around 90 today and is still mid 80's so it seems like a great time to have a Witbier before the temperature really starts to drop in the next hour or two.

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a hazy golden color. Over two fingers of quickly dissipating head is achieved with a moderate pour, leaving little lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - A rather surprising smell. I immediately get a citrusy, candy like smell. At first I couldn't put my finger on what berry smell I was getting but after reading the info it made perfect sense it was blueberries. Besides that there is little else besides wheat and slight sweet malts.

Taste - Similar to the nose. Very blueberry - it reminds me of blueberry eggo waffles - which is not a good thing seeing as those nasty things are so processed and fake it's no wonder our kids are obese today. Honestly, that is all I get. Tastes like fruit loops or fruity pebbles (as others have noticed) which is not really what I look for in a beer...

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied, a bit thin, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Relatively so, however, I could never drink multiples of this. Too sweet for me. Glad I was able to buy a single instead of a six pack.

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured into a standard tumbler

A - This beer pours a bright orange color, with a bright white 2 finger soapy head that quickly dies off, but does keep some retention. The complexion of this beer is extremely hazy, and the unfiltered sediment creates a wild lava lamp effect. This beer has a good amount carbonation, but is not one of those beers that makes you want to burp after every sip, which is NOT a downfall at all.

S - The smell of this beer took my by surprise. It is straight up Fruit Loops!! The smell is an amalgamation that comes together as the smell of blueberries and passion fruit. So not what i expected from this beer, but what a treat indeed!!

T - This beer tastes almost exactly like it smells. Like Blueberries/Passion Fruit and Wheat. The taste of this beer is extremely refreshing and is not to mild and not too overpowering.

M - The mouth-feel of this beer is on the thin side, but thats more so what you'd want from a wheat beer like this. The lack of carbonation towards the end is not a detriment to the mouthfeel either. Although this beer is very fruity and juicy, it is not very sticky, so its rather soft and does down smooth.

D - The drinkability of this beer is very high, and would be deemed sessionable. Although, this beer is soo good I don't know why anyone would want to just slug them down and waste them. But even if you drank and entire 6 pack, I dont think it would make you feel all that full. But one or two would be the perfect amount to truly enjoy this beer, especially on a hot summer day.

Final Thoughts: For an impulse 6 pack buy, this beer gets Two Huge Thumbs Up!!! This beer surpassed my expectations and is something that I would certainly by again.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle marked best by October 21st into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks great directly poured, gets two fingers head and is a hazy orange-straw color. The head goes away very quickly though with only a bit of retention around the edge.

Smell: Smells like Fruit Loops, straight up. Not that it's the most terrible thing in the world, it actually smells pretty decent. Doesn't smell much like a beer though unless I take a really deep sniff, where I can catch some malts.

Taste: It tastes like malted Fruit Loops! There's really not too much to it, go ahead and imagine fruit loops, and there you have it. I love fruit loops though, so it's not really a negative. It just doesn't taste a witbeer, there's just hints of wheat and malts that separate it from the "malt beverages" of the world. Just a hint of hops at the very end cement that you did indeed just drink a beer.

Mouthfeel: Fairly well carbonated and goes down smooth.

Drinkability: This goes down very easy. A great thirst quencher for the summer heat. Almost enough to make me wish I had a lawn to mow.

Again, this is not a beer to pick up if you're looking for a Witbier. It's a fruity beverage that has a lot in common with "malt beverages." I rather like it though.

3.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this randomly at the market for a party. Was quite popular with the people there, but I found it a little odd.

Poured a cloudy orange/yellow with a decent looking head.

The smell of this guy is straight oranges. It smells artificial to me, although it's probably not. A little disconcerting.

Ok flavor which mutes the oranges and fruit a little bit. Quite sweet and lacking general complexity, but decently flavorful.

Fine enough mouthfeel. Body and carbonation are about right for the style. Probably would get a little cloying after several of these but went down easy.

2.48/5  rDev -26.2%

Smells very fruity....sort of like orange candy. Very sweet, and somewhat artificial.

As for the taste....well I'm going to grade this as a wit, which is what its style purports to be. It's very overwhelmingly orange and blueberry....but in an artificial way. I feel like I'm drinking liquid Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles. It just doesn't taste right. I think that non-beer drinkers may like it more, but to me, I know what a wit can taste like and this just isn't going to satisfy me. There's a hint of wheat on the backend, which is welcomed, but it's faint.

Again, this will probably go over well with people who like malt beverages and who don't like beer all that much. But for me, as a person who loves wits, I know there are many that are better.

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

The pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867 just set my sun. Actually, it sunset my dreams. But the question is, who will crop my wheat. Sunset Wheat. It's good. Very good.

Sunwheat's apperance...the look of Sun Wheat, is no less seductive as it is thirst-quenching. From first glance, the liquid floats a light brown honey shade/glimmmer...something along those lines. Perhaps resembling a dark urine yellow. The density of the color gives off the impression of an equally heavy taste or uh...an equally heavy, yeah...an equally heavy...an equally heavy, eh, slathering of natural flavor. Foamy and cloudy head resembled Grandma's bosomy pillows as much as it nearly visualizes, uh, feathery angels floating on a wonderous cloud of cumulous.

Smell's like grapefruit. Smells like blueberries. Smells like oranges. Smells like a goddamn poppouri of citrus, smooth-over with stomach shots and indian burns, bingo. The aroma is rather nice, and makes you want to keep drinking; it keeps you thirsty.

Tastes like it smells. Smells like it tastes. Tastes good. Tastes like a dream. Tastes almost...almost like chilled, melted Ricola...Ricola? You know what, there's definitely a significant honey taste as the beer warms. The nectar of bees...the sperm of flying insects. Meagerly bitter with a stinging bite of...maybe some sort of Asian wood beetle; not strong, but noticeable.

Although delightfully pleasant to the nasal appendage, this brew left a little to be desired to the tongue. Not to say, I had the urge to brush my teeth but something was happening at the back of my mouth; that's what she said.

Drink it up, drink it down, lucky lips all year round. Certainly drinkable, certainly tasty. Good with filet mignon and hot dogs for sure. Hold the ketchup but lay on the mustard. Little pricey, but definitely suck it down.

3.92/5  rDev +16.7%

Had in a pint glass at Miller's Ale House, Babylon NY.

A - Light orange with a light foam. A little cloudy.

S - Sweet, and with noticeable tratia of fruit. Lemon and orange are clearly present.

T - Very pleasant to drink. There is the the taste of wheat along with the sweet citrus taste. This is a classic beer to drink in the summer.

M - Not heavy at all, and the sweet taste does not disappear in the finish.

D - You can drink this quite often. A definite go to brew when you want to have a few beers, and enjoy them as well.

I've tried this one a while back, and was glad to review again before the summer ended.

3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Golden and a little cloudy when held up to the light. Decent amount of white head.

S: Probably the fruitiest beer I've smelt to date. Many fruits are present here: orange, peach, and maybe pear.

T: This brew tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Distinct taste, quite fruity, but nothing too special.

M: Light-bodied and weak.

D: This is easy to drink for the most part, but it does get sweet after awhile. A session beer, but you can find better.

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%

A-darker than other witbiers but not as cloudy

S-Nice citrus aroma (dominated by orange) plenty of coriander spice

T-Too much orange creates an imbalanced flavor

M-thinner than others of this style

D-Okay for a few but astringency and fruitiness overwhelms if looking to knock down a pile of these.

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%

Had a six pack of this left over from my wife so it's time to finally review this one.

A: Wow - cloudy orange, nice head that lingers and lace left behind.

S: Smell is fantastic - smell is of orange, blueberry, malt, citrus, and really just summer in a bottle!

T: Blueberry tart comes through with some citrus and a bit of zest. Really tasty and just easy to drink

M: Goes down smooth - medium carbonation

D: All day

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden color. One and a half finger white head that shows good retention. Sticky sheety lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink it down.

S- To be honest this has a light grainy hint to it along with Fruity Pebbles. I know others have said that but it does plain and simple.
This is overall a light aroma which is my only real complaint because it doesn't smell bad at all.

T- Pretty much tastes like Fruity Pebbles as well with a hint of wheat in the background. Interesting how they get this flavor.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is fizzy for this beer but I expect it. Fruity Pebbles taste left on the palate and into the aftertaste...long into the aftertaste. Flavors were one sided at best. Light alcohol drying of the palate.

D- It is easy to drink a ton of this no problem. Kind of might get sick though from the sweetness. Overall though a easy drinking summertime beer. This is what is was suppose to be....mission accomplished.

4.06/5  rDev +20.8%

A:
Pours slightly cloudy and light gold. A two-finger head appeared, but quickly dissipated leaving a sparse but delicate network of lacing.

S:
What smell? I smelled nothing from the four of these I had, so I'm confused by the rating system: there weren't any "bad" smells, but there weren't any "good" smells either. So, I guess that qualifies it as unimpressive. Drinking this beer is really the only way to unlock any scents, after they work their way into your nose after you swallow. I'm left with the impression of the scent of sunscreen after a hot day-- but I should stress it doesn't smell unpleasant like sweat or body odor. It's hard to describe, but the scent I'd put it close to would be coconut.

T:
if summer had a taste-- if you could take a sunset over a muggy shoreline, with cicadas, frogs and crickets all chorusing in one glorious din and lick it, this would be that taste. Very light carbonation, it only dances on your tongue for an instant before disappearing and leaving you with a smooth, mildly tart taste of wheat, with subtle citrus notes underneath. This is a good thing since it's a wheat beer, but the overall taste is very breezy, very summery.. Even when consumed warm, this beer has a very "cooling" feel to it.

M: Clean, refreshing and mildly astringent.

D: Exceptional. This is perfect on a hot summer day to cool off, or in the middle of the winter to remind you of summer.

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle marked Sep 13 2010. It pours a somewhat hazy, golden yellow with a decent enough white head. The aroma is full of red or black raspberry along with the wheat. The taste also has a nice wild berry type flavor with a nice wheat quality and thin hops. A refreshing beer.

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice hazy appearance, good carbonation and looks like some particles that hang.

Not really impressed with aroma, hard to discern much.

Taste is very fruity, hint of clove, other fruits maybe, hard to place. It does have a sweeter taste, which overshadows the typical yeasty taste that a lot of wheat beers have. Probably a bit too sweet for me.

Thin feeling in the mouth.

Easy and quick to drink, taste does seem to get a little bitter towards the end.

Probably would choose another wheat beer like a Bell's Oberon over this one.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%

"Pull date" stamped on bottle neck. In this case, 10110 = 10-11-2010.

Pours completely hazed dark straw, with a nice, creamy white head. Smell is grainy fresh and fruity as all get out - Fruit Loops and Fruity Pebbles come to mind. Taste is a little more mellowed out than the smell, but seriously, this tastes like beer cereal. I suppose it's carbonated ok.. but the finish is a little thin, quick, and sour for my taste. A novelty, but interesting, also for the fact that this beer seems to be pretty popular. Enough for it to replace Leinies I liked, such as Big Butt and Northwoods.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

One of my favorites, and I am picky. Nice, creamy thick head that hangs out for a few minutes. The smell makes me want to swallow more. Slighly cloudy, good color. My first drink of this beer surprised me, the mouthfeel is surprisingly thick. I like my porters and stouts but this is always in the fridge.

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured into Weihenstephaner glass...

A: Pours a buttery, hazy old gold with a big, fluffy head. leaves big sticky arches of lacing on the way down.

S: smells like fruity pebbles, peaches, oranges, pineapples, and banana. Smells like a tropical sunset. I love the nose on this one.

T: orange muffins immediately leads into a pallate of the aforementioned fruits. finishes with banana, peach skins, and lemony hop bitterness

M: velvety, light-medium body with low carbonation, finishes off-dry

Overall, Sunset Wheat is one of my favorite domestic wheat beers. It's always a great beer to recommend to someone just getting into the craft brew scene, if they like fruity pebbles that is, but who doesn't. Glad they keep this in stock at the local gas station.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Being a fan of Witbier, I thought that this rumored to be "overly fruity" beer would leave me disappointed. Instead I was only moderately satisfied. Overall I had a good time drinking this beer. Its taste and appearance were nothing too special. In fact I did not taste as much of the fruit flavors as others did who tried this before me. This might because I was expecting a lot more fruitiness and was pleasantly surprised when it was not as strong as I had been told it was. After finishing the bottle, I realized that this beer was texturally smooth and drinkable beyond my expectations. If I had tasted it in proper glassware I might have been even more pleased. All in all, an okay choice for a summer afternoon.

4.62/5  rDev +37.5%

Poured a 12 oz bottle on a 16 oz pint and it created a nice 3 inch head. The head slowly faded away and left behind a nice lace on my glass. The aroma is very appealing and the taste is very satisfying. Mild citrus flavors bounced around in my mouth as I savored this beer. There was very little to no aftertaste in every sip and that makes you want to take the next sip.

4.89/5  rDev +45.5%

The leinenkugels sunset wheat is dark in color but does taste like most dark beers it has a great blueberry or mixed berry flavor to it that makes it my favorite of all of the leinenkugel family of beer it has a great mouthfeel and smell I would say anyone if they like beer or not would most likely enjoy one of these

Yes it smells and tastes like Fruity Pebbles as others have mentioned, but it's not a bad summer beer. The taste is light and refreshing and I'd try a few before buying a twelve pack first.

Not sure it qualifies as a Witbier, but an interesting taste makes this one I would try seasonally.

4.57/5  rDev +36%

Excellent fruity wheat beer. One of my favorites on the commercial market.

Great fruity aroma, Great hop aroma, but low bitterness (how I like it), on the sweet side but I would still say it's balanced. Pours a great head, but doesn't keep it long (normal with the style)

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company