Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,388 |  Reviews: 909
3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

Thin but lasting head, leaves a white coating of lace. The broth is a cloudy Orange-light amber.

Raisin and raspberry aroma. People around me smelled blueberries. Generally sweet nose.

There's a citrusy flavor initially. decent body with a lower level of carbonation. The finish is mildly sour. light stone fruit finish of alto of and cherry.

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter.

Pours with two fingers of white head that diminishes down to a thin white layer which lasts and lasts. Body is slightly cloudy light orange with small bubbles rising.

Smells primarily of blueberries, which smell fresh and not from extract. Underneath those are some lager-type malts and slight noble type hops. A bit of what may be attributable to lager yeast is present.

Blueberries dominate this flavor from front to back, but as in the nose they seem authentic and not just a flavoring. Pale malts a ever-so-slight hop bitterness form the backbone of the flavors. Sweet and nice. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel is creamy and on the light side. Not much to say here, but I like the lower carbonation. Drinkability is quite good.

Conclusion: A very enjoyable blueberry flavored wheat. I would categorize it as a fruit beer because the blueberry is so strong, but because I love blueberries that doesn't hurt the score.

4.58/5  rDev +35.9%

Pours a cloudy orangeish gold color. The smell is that of fruity pebbles oddly enough but you do smell the beer alcohol afterwards. First taste is that of fruity pebbles and then fades off into a medium beer taste and is followed by the after taste of fruity pebbles. Feels zesty in the mouth almost like the feeling, without the taste, of lemonade. Easy to drink in moderation to sweet to get carried away.

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Reviewed from notes

A-Pours tangerine and gold with an ultra white head made of foamy bubbles. Not lace on the glass and quite a few carbonation bubbles inflating the head a bit.

S-citrus fruity sweetness dominates the nose with some other interesting spice. But not really all that much here. Banana and wheat are there in short supply.

T-Only real flavor her is an overpowering sweetness and nothing to back it up. Not enough malt at all and the flavor seems added.Where the hell is the wheat?

M-Overcarbonated and thin but not to the point of me not being bale to finish it.

D-Better than some other sad options and I would for sure drink it over any macro. It kind of has its place in the world for a cheap summer beach beer I guess. Sure beats Corona.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

A~Dark orange/ tanish color. Full 1 finger head, doesnt seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Can see the carbonation coming from the bottom of the beer.

S~Smells like fruity pebbles, as soon as I poured the beer into my glass the smell was very strong.

T~ Tastes similar to fruity pebbles, definitely some lemon in there. I personally like the taste a lot, but can see how it would be far too sweet for many people.

M~ Moderately carbonated, a pretty light feeling beer.

D~ Can definitely drink a 6 pack of these without any problems, doesnt fill me up too fast.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz bottle, BBD Jan 14 2011.

Pours a cloudy, darker orange; nice color and a small amount of soapy head & lacing.
Wheat and lemon with juice of blueberry to the nose.
Breaded, fruity flavor. Unfiltered wheat meets blueberry and orange with a hint of the coriander spiciness which is associated with a witbier. A bit thin overall, and too heavy on the fruit.
Initial crispness in body thins out as it goes down, leaving one desiring a snappier finish.
Drinkability suffers from over-pronounced fruit flavors, particularly the blueberry. May be satisfying on a warmer day, if nothing better is available.

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

I just finished off a 6 pack of this beer, I'd absolutely buy it again.

A: Poured into a pint glass it has a nice cloudy golden color, with a small head that dissipates quickly.

S: There is a lovely aroma about this beer. mostly I noted wheat and a faintly citrus aroma that isnt overpowering, but definitely there.

T: Some faintly lemonade like flavor, with a hint of orange, and some well hidden alcohol in there.

M: I found it pretty smooth with a hint of citrus aftertaste.

D: very enjoyable as a session beer, for me, its a nice brew that I fully intend to purchase more of.

I forget what I paid for a 6 pack, but I honestly enjoyed every bottle of it.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%

A - pours into a murky, dark golden yellow with a small head

S - a previous post noted that it smells like Fruity Pebbles...and thats EXACTLY what it smells like....this is because of the wheat and blueberry

T - It kind of tastes like Fruity Pebbles too...as weird as that sounds it has a fruity, hoppy taste that creates an interesting taste

M - hoppy mouthfeel, creates a bitter carbonation

D - pretty drinkable, the taste drive you for more but not overwhelming...

Despite the Fruity Pebble esque taste...I like this, they could have ruined this beer by adding just a little bit more of the blue berries or hops and it would have probably be horrendous but this is perfectly balanced: not too bitter, not too fruity....i would buy this again

3.27/5  rDev -3%

First impression, yup that smells like blueberries. Traditional cloudy wheat beer look. White foamy head that doesn't last long. Taste is definitely of some blueberries, even though the "fruity pebbles" comments may be overstated some. Light and fizzy in your mouth, and easy to drink. I would recommend this for a nice summer beer, but I wouldn't seek it out regularly. For my first Leinie's tasting, not bad and I'll keep an open mind about their other brews.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

appearance: pours a cloudy brownish gold color with heavy carbonation, bubbly foam leaving moderate bubbly lacing.

smell: forward notes of blueberry complemented with a bold wheat smell.

taste: consistently clean wheat taste throughout the beginning and middle, very light hop bitterness is notable at the finish, which gives a light citrus note with the more predominant blueberry aftertaste.

drinkability: well balance and not overly infused with wheat flavor, pleasant to drink without overdoing on the berry flavor.

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

Does anyone else taste Fruity Pebbles when drinking this beer? It certainly is a refreshing summer beer, but I can't get over the fact that it tastes like my favorite childhood cereal. I personally wouldn't buy more than a pint or so, but my parents seem to enjoy it.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

The pour in my pilsner glass resulted in a two finger head of rich white foam which settled down to a light covering of wispy lace on the surface and sides of the glass. Color is a cloudy amber, rating a 8 on the SRM beer color chart. Rich aroma of berries and wheat, with a hint of spices. The taste was not expected from the smell. A rich cascade of rose flavored spices, light orange, mulberry, and rich malt and aged wheat. Full body rush over my tongue and palate, ending with a sort of raspberry finish on the back of my throat. Yes I would like to drink this again. I would like to share this with my drinking buddies, as they would be in for a surprise in wonderful taste.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

On tap at the Yardhouse in Dedham. Served in a standard pint glass. Cloudy yellow body with a fizzy white head. Smell had a bit of citrus to it. Taste was a bit unusual. I find it odd that there was a hint of blueberry in a witbier. I still cannot figure out why every Leinie beer I try has some weird Fruity Pebbles cereal fake fruit flavor in it. I guess that's their marketing angle. Mouthfeel was decent for the style; fairly smooth. Drinkability was just average in my book. I wanted to have something easy at the end of the night, and I end up with this fruity beer. I should have just ordered a witbier that I knew was good. This just re-enforces my belief that I have not found a Leinie beer that I like yet. Will I keep searching? Not sure.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this at my local beer store just for the heck of it. Actually got up to around 90 today and is still mid 80's so it seems like a great time to have a Witbier before the temperature really starts to drop in the next hour or two.

Appearance - Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a hazy golden color. Over two fingers of quickly dissipating head is achieved with a moderate pour, leaving little lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - A rather surprising smell. I immediately get a citrusy, candy like smell. At first I couldn't put my finger on what berry smell I was getting but after reading the info it made perfect sense it was blueberries. Besides that there is little else besides wheat and slight sweet malts.

Taste - Similar to the nose. Very blueberry - it reminds me of blueberry eggo waffles - which is not a good thing seeing as those nasty things are so processed and fake it's no wonder our kids are obese today. Honestly, that is all I get. Tastes like fruit loops or fruity pebbles (as others have noticed) which is not really what I look for in a beer...

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied, a bit thin, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Relatively so, however, I could never drink multiples of this. Too sweet for me. Glad I was able to buy a single instead of a six pack.

4.32/5  rDev +28.2%

Poured into a standard tumbler

A - This beer pours a bright orange color, with a bright white 2 finger soapy head that quickly dies off, but does keep some retention. The complexion of this beer is extremely hazy, and the unfiltered sediment creates a wild lava lamp effect. This beer has a good amount carbonation, but is not one of those beers that makes you want to burp after every sip, which is NOT a downfall at all.

S - The smell of this beer took my by surprise. It is straight up Fruit Loops!! The smell is an amalgamation that comes together as the smell of blueberries and passion fruit. So not what i expected from this beer, but what a treat indeed!!

T - This beer tastes almost exactly like it smells. Like Blueberries/Passion Fruit and Wheat. The taste of this beer is extremely refreshing and is not to mild and not too overpowering.

M - The mouth-feel of this beer is on the thin side, but thats more so what you'd want from a wheat beer like this. The lack of carbonation towards the end is not a detriment to the mouthfeel either. Although this beer is very fruity and juicy, it is not very sticky, so its rather soft and does down smooth.

D - The drinkability of this beer is very high, and would be deemed sessionable. Although, this beer is soo good I don't know why anyone would want to just slug them down and waste them. But even if you drank and entire 6 pack, I dont think it would make you feel all that full. But one or two would be the perfect amount to truly enjoy this beer, especially on a hot summer day.

Final Thoughts: For an impulse 6 pack buy, this beer gets Two Huge Thumbs Up!!! This beer surpassed my expectations and is something that I would certainly by again.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle marked best by October 21st into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks great directly poured, gets two fingers head and is a hazy orange-straw color. The head goes away very quickly though with only a bit of retention around the edge.

Smell: Smells like Fruit Loops, straight up. Not that it's the most terrible thing in the world, it actually smells pretty decent. Doesn't smell much like a beer though unless I take a really deep sniff, where I can catch some malts.

Taste: It tastes like malted Fruit Loops! There's really not too much to it, go ahead and imagine fruit loops, and there you have it. I love fruit loops though, so it's not really a negative. It just doesn't taste a witbeer, there's just hints of wheat and malts that separate it from the "malt beverages" of the world. Just a hint of hops at the very end cement that you did indeed just drink a beer.

Mouthfeel: Fairly well carbonated and goes down smooth.

Drinkability: This goes down very easy. A great thirst quencher for the summer heat. Almost enough to make me wish I had a lawn to mow.

Again, this is not a beer to pick up if you're looking for a Witbier. It's a fruity beverage that has a lot in common with "malt beverages." I rather like it though.

3.29/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this randomly at the market for a party. Was quite popular with the people there, but I found it a little odd.

Poured a cloudy orange/yellow with a decent looking head.

The smell of this guy is straight oranges. It smells artificial to me, although it's probably not. A little disconcerting.

Ok flavor which mutes the oranges and fruit a little bit. Quite sweet and lacking general complexity, but decently flavorful.

Fine enough mouthfeel. Body and carbonation are about right for the style. Probably would get a little cloying after several of these but went down easy.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Smells very fruity....sort of like orange candy. Very sweet, and somewhat artificial.

As for the taste....well I'm going to grade this as a wit, which is what its style purports to be. It's very overwhelmingly orange and blueberry....but in an artificial way. I feel like I'm drinking liquid Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles. It just doesn't taste right. I think that non-beer drinkers may like it more, but to me, I know what a wit can taste like and this just isn't going to satisfy me. There's a hint of wheat on the backend, which is welcomed, but it's faint.

Again, this will probably go over well with people who like malt beverages and who don't like beer all that much. But for me, as a person who loves wits, I know there are many that are better.

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%

The pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867 just set my sun. Actually, it sunset my dreams. But the question is, who will crop my wheat. Sunset Wheat. It's good. Very good.

Sunwheat's apperance...the look of Sun Wheat, is no less seductive as it is thirst-quenching. From first glance, the liquid floats a light brown honey shade/glimmmer...something along those lines. Perhaps resembling a dark urine yellow. The density of the color gives off the impression of an equally heavy taste or uh...an equally heavy, yeah...an equally heavy...an equally heavy, eh, slathering of natural flavor. Foamy and cloudy head resembled Grandma's bosomy pillows as much as it nearly visualizes, uh, feathery angels floating on a wonderous cloud of cumulous.

Smell's like grapefruit. Smells like blueberries. Smells like oranges. Smells like a goddamn poppouri of citrus, smooth-over with stomach shots and indian burns, bingo. The aroma is rather nice, and makes you want to keep drinking; it keeps you thirsty.

Tastes like it smells. Smells like it tastes. Tastes good. Tastes like a dream. Tastes almost...almost like chilled, melted Ricola...Ricola? You know what, there's definitely a significant honey taste as the beer warms. The nectar of bees...the sperm of flying insects. Meagerly bitter with a stinging bite of...maybe some sort of Asian wood beetle; not strong, but noticeable.

Although delightfully pleasant to the nasal appendage, this brew left a little to be desired to the tongue. Not to say, I had the urge to brush my teeth but something was happening at the back of my mouth; that's what she said.

Drink it up, drink it down, lucky lips all year round. Certainly drinkable, certainly tasty. Good with filet mignon and hot dogs for sure. Hold the ketchup but lay on the mustard. Little pricey, but definitely suck it down.

3.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Had in a pint glass at Miller's Ale House, Babylon NY.

A - Light orange with a light foam. A little cloudy.

S - Sweet, and with noticeable tratia of fruit. Lemon and orange are clearly present.

T - Very pleasant to drink. There is the the taste of wheat along with the sweet citrus taste. This is a classic beer to drink in the summer.

M - Not heavy at all, and the sweet taste does not disappear in the finish.

D - You can drink this quite often. A definite go to brew when you want to have a few beers, and enjoy them as well.

I've tried this one a while back, and was glad to review again before the summer ended.

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Golden and a little cloudy when held up to the light. Decent amount of white head.

S: Probably the fruitiest beer I've smelt to date. Many fruits are present here: orange, peach, and maybe pear.

T: This brew tastes like Fruity Pebbles. Distinct taste, quite fruity, but nothing too special.

M: Light-bodied and weak.

D: This is easy to drink for the most part, but it does get sweet after awhile. A session beer, but you can find better.

3.37/5  rDev 0%

A-darker than other witbiers but not as cloudy

S-Nice citrus aroma (dominated by orange) plenty of coriander spice

T-Too much orange creates an imbalanced flavor

M-thinner than others of this style

D-Okay for a few but astringency and fruitiness overwhelms if looking to knock down a pile of these.

4.23/5  rDev +25.5%

Had a six pack of this left over from my wife so it's time to finally review this one.

A: Wow - cloudy orange, nice head that lingers and lace left behind.

S: Smell is fantastic - smell is of orange, blueberry, malt, citrus, and really just summer in a bottle!

T: Blueberry tart comes through with some citrus and a bit of zest. Really tasty and just easy to drink

M: Goes down smooth - medium carbonation

D: All day

3.64/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden color. One and a half finger white head that shows good retention. Sticky sheety lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink it down.

S- To be honest this has a light grainy hint to it along with Fruity Pebbles. I know others have said that but it does plain and simple.
This is overall a light aroma which is my only real complaint because it doesn't smell bad at all.

T- Pretty much tastes like Fruity Pebbles as well with a hint of wheat in the background. Interesting how they get this flavor.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is fizzy for this beer but I expect it. Fruity Pebbles taste left on the palate and into the aftertaste...long into the aftertaste. Flavors were one sided at best. Light alcohol drying of the palate.

D- It is easy to drink a ton of this no problem. Kind of might get sick though from the sweetness. Overall though a easy drinking summertime beer. This is what is was suppose to be....mission accomplished.

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%

A:
Pours slightly cloudy and light gold. A two-finger head appeared, but quickly dissipated leaving a sparse but delicate network of lacing.

S:
What smell? I smelled nothing from the four of these I had, so I'm confused by the rating system: there weren't any "bad" smells, but there weren't any "good" smells either. So, I guess that qualifies it as unimpressive. Drinking this beer is really the only way to unlock any scents, after they work their way into your nose after you swallow. I'm left with the impression of the scent of sunscreen after a hot day-- but I should stress it doesn't smell unpleasant like sweat or body odor. It's hard to describe, but the scent I'd put it close to would be coconut.

T:
if summer had a taste-- if you could take a sunset over a muggy shoreline, with cicadas, frogs and crickets all chorusing in one glorious din and lick it, this would be that taste. Very light carbonation, it only dances on your tongue for an instant before disappearing and leaving you with a smooth, mildly tart taste of wheat, with subtle citrus notes underneath. This is a good thing since it's a wheat beer, but the overall taste is very breezy, very summery.. Even when consumed warm, this beer has a very "cooling" feel to it.

M: Clean, refreshing and mildly astringent.

D: Exceptional. This is perfect on a hot summer day to cool off, or in the middle of the winter to remind you of summer.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company