Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,382 |  Reviews: 907
4.62/5  rDev +37.1%

Poured a 12 oz bottle on a 16 oz pint and it created a nice 3 inch head. The head slowly faded away and left behind a nice lace on my glass. The aroma is very appealing and the taste is very satisfying. Mild citrus flavors bounced around in my mouth as I savored this beer. There was very little to no aftertaste in every sip and that makes you want to take the next sip.

4.89/5  rDev +45.1%

The leinenkugels sunset wheat is dark in color but does taste like most dark beers it has a great blueberry or mixed berry flavor to it that makes it my favorite of all of the leinenkugel family of beer it has a great mouthfeel and smell I would say anyone if they like beer or not would most likely enjoy one of these

Yes it smells and tastes like Fruity Pebbles as others have mentioned, but it's not a bad summer beer. The taste is light and refreshing and I'd try a few before buying a twelve pack first.

Not sure it qualifies as a Witbier, but an interesting taste makes this one I would try seasonally.

4.57/5  rDev +35.6%

Excellent fruity wheat beer. One of my favorites on the commercial market.

Great fruity aroma, Great hop aroma, but low bitterness (how I like it), on the sweet side but I would still say it's balanced. Pours a great head, but doesn't keep it long (normal with the style)

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Hmm. This beer does taste like Fruity Pebbles like the cereal. I'm sure that wasn't there intention but that how it ended up. It not to bad but it's a Miller Product which sux. If they were by themselves I would give them cuddos on this beer.It does have a good taste it went well with my Chinese food. But it's a summer beer kill the time beer.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a frosted mug.

The color is a hazy gold, with a finger of foamy white head that stays for a short time.

The smell is a little fruity with a berry and lemon flavor mixed with a slight wheat flavor.

The taste was again fruity with some lemon, and a hint of pear. There is a wheat flavor that seems to be the main flavor through out till the end.

This beer was pretty drinkable and went down quite easy. It was a bit refreshing but lacked a bit in overall taste. It had a nice crisp feel and was a good summer beer to have at a cookout or at the beach.

1.44/5  rDev -57.3%

This beer disappointed me enough to write my first review.

Aside from perhaps the color, there was nothing about this beer that reminded me of a traditional wheat beer. In fact, I could taste no wheat in it.

The aroma was very strong and sweet - a very good indicator of what the beer tastes like. Very fragrant, very berry-like.

The beer itself tastes more like a type of Smirnoff Ice beverage. It is VERY sweet and has an extremely strong blueberry taste.

I want to say the carbonation was nicely balanced - but it's hard to say when each sugary mouthful was causing me to wince.

My wife and I managed to finish off a bottle each but it was painful.

The packaging on the bottle does not hint of its "non-traditional" approach to a wheat beer. No mention of its sweetness or blueberry flavor.

Perhaps if this beer was categorized as a fruit beer then I would not be so harsh in my review. But then again, it's the sweetest and least beer-like fruit beer I've ever tasted.

4.92/5  rDev +46%

Very blueberry taste, reminds me of fruity pebbles. good head that goes down but doesnt dissapear, very cloudy. One of my absolute favorites in the Leinenkugel family, great summer beer when sitting at an outdoor bar or by the pool. It is a must have beer and great blueberry/ fruity taste

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

My first impression of this beer was "wow." Now, I agree with some other reviewers, in the sense that it did have a lot of fruit flavor, but I thought it definitely worked with the beer. The predominant flavor was blueberries with wheat, which is a fantastic - if unexpected - combination. Maybe it's not the same as every other witbier, but maybe that's what makes it a good beer.

2.33/5  rDev -30.9%

I picked this beer up for vacation expecting a decent witbier, but was disappointed. The fruity flavors were fine for one 12oz bottle, but I couldn't handle more than 1 bottle.
I like most of the beers Leinenkugel puts out, so I will give this beer another try by the end of summer.

1.82/5  rDev -46%

What do you get when someone brews a witbier and mixes it with a bowl of Fruity Pebbles? Sunset Wheat.

Look: Well, it actually looks pretty decent. Looks enough like a wit.

Smell: Sugary sweet, like kids cereal...

Taste: Total trainwreck. The only reason I didn't pour it out or give it a 1.0 is because it kept me coming back just to see if I was only imagining the taste of Fruity Pebbles. I wasn't, it's there, and it scares me.

Feel: If you can force yourself to look past the smell and taste, it really does have a pretty decent mouthfeel.

Drink: I wouldn't take another one of these for free.

2.73/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazy yellow. Shocking. Aroma was of corn syrup and fruit.

Taste was more sweetness, more than necessary or desireable. Like a liquid pixie stick. Definitely has a lot of "taste" just it isn't the kind I want in my beer, maybe my mixed drink, maybe a fruit salad, but not a wheat beer. This is a wheat beer? Where's the wheat aspect of it, outside of the lemony feel?

And since when did Leinie's become an $8 a 6 pack beer? Rip-off.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A hazy golden color with a singe finger white head. Minimal lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with pronounced berry and sweetness. Some slight yeasty smell but the berry really stands out.

T: Tons of berry fruit with blueberry, raspberry and other berry flavors. Sugar sweetness comes in with a slight yeasty wheat flavor that is squashed by the sweet fruit. Not much finish nor any hops to pick out.

M: Light, not lasting and not full with no alcohol traces.

D: Medium but the sweetness will get in the way of having a few of these.

Overall a decent at best summer wheat beer. It needs more hops and less sweetness.

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

Bought a sixer at a gas station on the way to band practice. This was as craftiest beer the store had to offer. I didn't see anything on the bottle suggesting this had fruit theme, so I was surprised at the berry smell, which seemed more like artificial flavoring than real berries.
The taste is consistent with the smell. I really thought something had happened at the brewery and they had inadvertently mixed one of their berry beers with this. I could only finish about half of one of these. The berry flavor tastes to me like it doesn't belong in there.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

One of my friends is/was all about this beer. I never really liked it. Ive had it on tap served with real blueberries in the glass also.

A- Surprisingly looks quite nice. It holds a nice thick head, the beer is deeply clouded and has a nice light orange hue.

S- It starts to go down hill and get a little gimmicky here. Everyone who said it smells like fruity pebbles or fruit loops werent lying. Really, its very, very strong on blueberry. There is also lots of witbier-like spices. Since they use a lager yeast and not a Belgian yeast some stuff is missing like an earthiness.

T- Very sweet and artificial. Lots of mixed berries, mostly blueberries. Like the nose there is lots of spices as well. This aspect of the beer is actually pretty surprising. I expected something more toned back seeing as how this beer is everywhere.

M- Not good feeling. Very, very carbonated. To the point of being painful. The finish is slick and a bit syrupy.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

this is not my idea of a witbier. nose of fruit loops. a wheat beer with cornmeal in it. color is a bit more orange than expected. made me feel like i was drinking something made for 16 year old's. palate of citrus, corn starch, and sugar cane. as expected a pretty big waste of time. i'm being lenient by calling it average.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

12oz bottle, plastic 20oz cup, July 5, 2010 freshness date. Just in time.

Not exceptional for a Wit or Wiess, but pretty solid. There isn't enough head. It is quite cloudy, golden, and has white froth.

Admittedly, my friend told me it was the fruity pebbles beer; and he's completely correct. There is some lemon citrus and wheat but they are overpowered by the fruity cereal.

Here we go again..if I wanted fruity pebbles cereal in my wheat beer I'd just pour some cereal in. Still lemon citric bite and sweet wheat. What is this?

The mouth is slick. The carb isn't aggressive. This isn't thought provoking but average.

I think the fruity sweetness is too much. This isn't something I'd buy, ever.

2.89/5  rDev -14.2%

Had a few of these on tap at Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber color with a half finger of white head.

Smell: Light, fruity, citrus and blueberry. A very sweet and fruity smelling brew.

Taste: Wheaty (naturally) with flavors of orange, lemon and there is that blueberry again...but subtle. Not bad for a summer refresher when it's served very cold.

Mouth Feel: Light-bodied and thin with a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad for a wheaty summer brew. Not quite the flavor I expect from a true 'witbier'...but not bad either. Maybe just a tad too sweet and fruity.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. twist-off,

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a half finger of white head.

S: It really does smell like Fruity Pebbles, people have said it, it's true. It's actually pretty cool.

T: Fruity Pebbles, strawberry, assorted wheat flavour, orange, banana, nice mix of tastes - fruit salad.

M: Crisp, light-bodied, relatively smooth, but not the cleanest finish.

D: Not too bad. The flavour is quite good, but it's gets a little too sweet at the finish for my tastes. Don't know why people diss this one.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz mixed-six single with a freshness stamp of May 19 10. Pours a very hazy, murky gold color. Fluffed cap of off-white head dissipates rapidly, leaving a few strings of lace on the glass.

It is truly uncanny how closely the nose resembles Fruity Pebbles cereal, pretty much a dead ringer. I guess it is the combination of grains, citrus and yeast that create this unique profile, Fred and Barney would be most proud.

Taste has quite a bit of grapefruit flesh, lemon zest and even concord grape juice flavors. Grainy and bready malt with a little spice and hop zing on the finish. Wheat tanginess gives it a snappy and refreshing aspect. I like this more than I thought I would, easy to drink and my glass is draining rather rapidly. Dont think I will be rushing out to buy a six-pack of this anytime soon, but would I drink it again? Most definitely.

2.36/5  rDev -30%

A - Yellow colored beer that is just a touch hazy with a one finger white head that disappeared to nothing rather quickly, leaving the sides of the glass clean.

S - A pretty fruity smell comes off of this beer, but not in a way it should. Smells pretty artificial and over the top. Kind of citrusy with a grainy backbone.

T - Doesn't taste good. Too sweet followed by some sort of chemically aftertaste. There is a malt backbone on this that is a little bready, but the mix as a whole is just horrible.

M - Light bodied with a bit too mch carbonation.

D - Surprisingly not drinkable, as the taste on this one kills it.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle from a summer mixed 12 pack. drank from a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out a murky golden yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head quickly fizzes away and leaves behind little to no lacing.

S- very sweet and artificially fruity smelling. lots of orange with a little bit of lemon. not much in common with other wit beer smells.

T- the taste is also very sweet and almost candy like. the orange i could smell comes through strong. theres also something i couldnt quite put my finger on until i looked at this site. apparently its blueberry.

M- light bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. maybe a little too high.

D- ive found most of the leinenkugals offerings to be too sweet, and this was no exception. this isnt something ill have too often. it is a nice choice at restaurants that only have the other BMC offerings on tap or in bottles.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

A- A hazy brew with a reasonably nice head on it, especially compared to some other Lienie's products.
S- Smell is of wheat and fruit. Lemon and berry being the chief fruit smells.
T- The taste is more or less all fruit. It's not a terrible beer, but the wheat kinda got lost in there. No real hop presence.
M- Clean and thin. Carbonation seemed low on mine as well.
D- This is another one of lienie's decent beers but nothing that is worth many repeated visits for me. Another one of of those ones that we may owe some credit to for being an intro-to-craft, even if it isn't a great beer in and of itself.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It's been said before, but this one smells exactly like fruity pebbles. One of the more citrusy beers around. Fruit flavor is prominent and completely overpowers the beer. A big fruity pebbles taste. It is a bit of a gimmick beer, but it is tasty and an easy drink

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Cloudy yellow with mild small-bubble lacing if glass-poured.
S: Mild citrus aroma
T: This drink surprises me with Fruity Pebbles every time. I do not think it is the best a wheat beer can taste, but it has a unique flavor. Sometimes can leave a gassy/carbonation after taste.
M: Smooth almost flat feel. Leaves filmy coating on tongue and back of throat.
D: For this style I think it is a little more difficult to drink than others. Contrast against the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy which for its "radler" style is much had good drinkability.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company