Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,384 |  Reviews: 907
3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Doesn't look like a strong wheat beer...cloudy, but not as much as Blue Moon and definitely not like Hacker-Pschorr. More of a dark yellow than anything. There's a good bit of foam and a lot of nice lacing.

Smell: Sunset Wheat emits a pleasant fruity aroma and comes across like a wheat beer here. Very little spice.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Easy to drink. Initially tastes a bit lemony and kind of flowery and then...it arrives...Fruity Pebbles! Like no other beer! I like it. Nice and smooth.

Drinkability: No problems drinking this...not nearly as strong and fruity as Berry Weiss can be for some people.

Overall: Nothing wrong with this beer. It's decent-looking. It smells fine. It tastes good and drinks well. Not bad in the autumn if you ask me.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

my first impressions of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is: is this a joke? is this a new style? the bubblegum wit?

it pours a cloudy pale apricot with a fluffy head that leaves lacing down the glass. it has that going for it, at least.

the smell is sharp with berries and bubblegum, and not much else. i have a hard time detecting any wheat, but i can tell it's there, faintly, hiding behind some bubblegum.

it's true what they say about Sunset Wheat. i had heard that it tasted like fruity pebbles and thought it was an exaggeration.

nope.

the taste, if you can imagine, is like a bowl of fruity pebbles with beer instead of milk. after passing this beer around to my friends, they all agreed that fruity pebbles are in fact the dominant flavor. once it warms a bit, hints of bubblegum caress the palate, as well as slight (very slight) bready undertones.

the mouthfeel is clean, at least, and doesn't leave much lingering tastes.

i avoided buying this beer because i knew what was in it. luckily, my craft fence-sitting friends picked up a six of this. it's mediocre, fruity, unappealing.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into my Zatec glass. Cloudy, typical of style. Poured 2 fingers of head that has started to lace. Smells, like I remember. Fruity pebbles. Bam bam BAM! Tastes very much like berries and other fruits. Fruity pebbles. Bam bam BAM! Mouthfeel is a huge letdown. Nearly flat in the mouth. For a wheat, I like it quite a bit, and could drink several in an hour.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

This brew pours a milky, cloudy liquid with a moderately stable foamy white head. The aroma is pretty nice...good citrus and wheat notes...a little grass, some pale malt, and lots of wheat notes. The taste has the familiar wheat twang, a little fruit juice flavor...lemon and pear? It's fitting, however. Not much hop flavor, but wheat is prominent. Could have more yeast character. Good, firm mouthfeel, yet light enough to be refreshing. This on was better than I expected.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Murky light copper, nice bit white head that leaves to disk fast. Lost of cling lace.

S - Orange peel. Lemon, and a light undertow of green leafy cooking spices. Sweet perfume noticed.

T - Wheat shines; a lemony mixture. Fairly sweeter than I thought. Blueberries? Pepper at end. Perfume quality surrounds back of mouth to nose.

M - Medium body, nice flavors, maybe not as balance as I would like. Aftertaste a little cloying and almost metallic.

D - I liked this better on the first few sips but it became overly perfumed, sweet and cloying. MASSIVE blueberry. One is enough.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

My first Leinenkugel offering, and I'm a tad disappointed. There is something very artificial about this beer and it's just not something that I'm partial to in this style. I'll likely try some more from them though, as I'd hate to discriminate. Review is from notes taken on 4/2/2010 and poured from the tap to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a pale coppery/lemony/honey yellow and starts with no head at all, just a couple of thin white islands on the surface and the ubiquitous ring; body appears cloudy and hazy and there is some strong carbonation present near the sides; loose washes of spotty lacing slide back into the drink leaving the sides of the glass very clean.

Smell: Interesting -- a lot of juicy orange/lemon, some wheat and yeast and a bit of a strange, saccharin candied sweetness...

Taste: Lots of the juicy citrus fruits mentioned above in the smell that are very much of the orange and lemon variety; a pretty strong wheaty flavor, and there is a bit of a unique lavender/floral aspect to it that it's a bit "perfumey" in the mouth; there is also that strange saccharin candied sweetness that reminds me of Smarties... very artificial.

Mouthfeel: Nice and fairly light in the body with plenty of carbonation that is strong as it should be in this style; a pretty clean finish as there is no real stickiness left behind or any type of drying effect.

Drinkability: Overall, it's not terrible, but the sweetness is a bit too artificial as mentioned earlier and I just can't get into it; not awful on a warm night and the ABV is more than manageable at just under %5. There are definitely better available witbiers out there though.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Translucent, cloudy yellowish-amber sunburst color. Highly carbonated. Produced two finger head . Very attractive.

S - Pleasenty overpowering. Citrus and floral came out of the bottle swinging the second the cap was removed.

T - Lienkugels is definatly in a class all of it's own. Honestly, I find it very sweet. This, of course, is a double edged sword as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I enjoy it, and sometimes I don't. It is an odd beer; one that doesn't really fit in anywhere, leaving it very hard to compare with anything else I've tried. With that said I consider the taste, especially the citrus character, of this beer appealing.

M - Lingering. Though, the mouthfeel of this beer has an odd charisma about it.

D - Once again, dependent on my mood. All in all, I couldn't see drinking more than a couple of these at one siting. However, if I am in the mood for it, the experience is always positive.

Lienkugels is a very odd beer. After years of drinking it, I still don't know exactly where I stand with it. Though, as far as witbiers are concerned, I would choose this beer over many. It strange, I have a definite love/hate relationship with this beer that is rather inexplicable. All in all, if you have never tried this beer before, you must. I don't often say that, but its the truth.

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

An overly-spiced, overly sweet mess. Up front, the first note was a bit tart and held promise. Then the heavy-handed spicing kicked in - assertive coriander and some anise, followed by a distinctive, almost candy-like sweetness. Far from ghastly, but equally far from good.

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%

Tried a six pack with my friend who really enjoys this brew. I am trying to remain objective about this one, because it really is better than alot of other beers out there. That being said, Idk if there is any other beer in the world that smells like my cereal. If this isn't fruity pebbles in a bottle... The taste is mildly tart overwhelmingly fruity.

I can drink 3 of these at a sitting but really only did cuz I bought em. Not a terrible beer, but not good either.

2.83/5  rDev -16%

On tap at a local restaurant, weizen glass, hazey orange in color with a thick, foamy head that lingered nicely, excellent lacing.

Intensely fruity, a bit much so. Can't really get much else.

Taste is overwhelmingly fruity, blueberry almost, followed by a lemon/orangey combo. Seems a little artificial.

Pretty balanced carbonation, medium bodied beer.

Not sure how many of these I could handle in a sitting. Drank this bottled several years ago, remembered it as being a little better. I think my palate has just gotten a little more judgmental. Probably didn't help that I had this today on the heels of a SA Noble Pils.

1.6/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours an unimpressive limp orange. Minimal fizzy head. Taste is hollow and cheap. Smell mirrors that. Definitely picking up some blueberry and orange. I hate to say it, but the consistency reminds me of Bud Light Wheat (worse actually). Has no character other than being a very sub-par beer. Clearly inferior ingredients, with a very cheap blueberry/orange flavor happening. On a positive note (and it's not even really that positive), the drinkability factor is slightly redeeming in that the weak taste doesn't linger at all. Although I'd imagine the hangover would taste like you'd been eating rancid fruity pebbles all night. So I guess I could drink a bunch of these if that was the idea, but if you're looking to sit down and enjoy a good wheat, look elsewhere. Drinking this beer is actually making me angry. Possibly the worst beverage I've ever had.

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

poured into an imperial pint glass

pour resulted in a minimal head that left very little lacing, smell was fruitful with strong orange tones, however the orange smelled artificial .

taste was full of wheat and fruit tones but flavors again seemed artificial and left minimal taste on the palate after swallowing.

Overall a the beer is still satisfying and enjoyable to drink, but it is more of an imitation witbier but better than many of its counterparts.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

The beer is pretty good but its a little to fruity. Its tastes mostly like blueberry with a hint of citrus. The blueberry taste is a tad bit overwhelming and kinda makes your forget that your drinking a beer. Although it taste pretty good, I would not buy this again. I just don't like the fruity flavor when it comes to my beer but for those of you who like a fruity beer, I would highly recommend it.

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

16 ounce pint - $3.75 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Slightly hazy, burnished gold body with a thin layering of white fizz which soon dissipates to a very thin white ring.

Smell: A scent of artificial lemons and synthetic blueberries. It doesn't even smell like a beer.

Taste: Lightly sweet, lightly tangy taste of malted wheat trailed by a upsurge of lemon and blueberry flavor, a noticeable carryover of that Fruity Pebbels character from that Berry of theirs. Very small hint of coriander, likely placebic. Not much of a hop presence or apparent bitterness. Lemony, sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-high carbonation, a tad fizzy.

Drinkability: No thanks. It's a bit watery, a bit too fizzy, and, yeesh, there's that artificial-tasting flavoring quality to it -- for me, it's just subpar in all its facets. So, again, no thanks!

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This pours a cloudy golden color. Not much head here and the lacing leaves a little something to be desired. I get a citrus smell with a little bit of sweet malt. This beer tastes sweet. Too sweet for me to be honest. This may be a strange point of reference, but it tastes like alcoholic Booberry cereal (anybody remember that stuff as a kid?). There's a bit of a citrus kick, but not much in the way of mouthfeel. The sweetness hurts the drinkability for me. My wife likes this and buys it because I won't drink all of it. She's a smart gal.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

I first bought this brew with a friend about 4 summers ago. We bought a case for around 13 dollars! Started drinking about 1-2 in the afternoon and convinced ourselves that we had better go back out and get another case. At the time I was living with my parents, and my father was not happy with our foolish second trip. As a result, a huge fight broke out between myself and my parents, and my buddy started mowing the grass to repair his standing with my folks. Kind of funny to look back on, but definitely an important experience in regards to learning about responsibility. Oh, and I emitted blueberry-infused gas from the behind for the next 12-14 hours. On to the beer...

12 oz bottle poured into frozen 9-10 oz mug, little by little. Cloudy wheat beer, contains plentiful traces of mashing. Golden-Amber color. Fizzy lacing!

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat tastes like early morning blueberry muffins on a little hoppy trip. Can't really taste the wheat. It definitely doesn't have the evident wheat content like that which is found in Bell's Winter White Ale.

The brew is very refreshing, any time of the year. Today happens to be a sunny day towards the end of winter, and the brew really counters the temperature outside.

Sunset Wheat smells like an unpeeled orange or a vegetable crisper (in the fridge) stuffed with fresh fruits. Snowflake foam! Pleasantly stable feel to the brew with an unquestionably medium body.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

[Appearance]: Straw color, cloudy, lots of bubbles, foamy head, lacing looks alright on the glass.
[Smell]: Bubble-gum, citrus (orange like), wheat.
[Taste]: Semi-sweet bubble-gum up front, orange citrus, some hint of spice (clove and cinnamon), grainy wheat, mild bitterness at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Light on the body, carbonation is medium, very refreshing and smooth, leaves a nice orangy aftertaste.
[Drinkability]: Drinkability is high, a good summer beer!

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Cloudy gold/orange with a white head about an inch thick. Decent lacing.

S: Super fruity and sweet. Obvious lemon/berry/orange, and strong.

T: A left jab hits with citrusy orange and lemon, and the blueberry right-hook hits as it's going down. VERY sweet and fruity.

M: Light mouthfeel with good carbonation. Decent feel to it overall.

D: Depends on your tolerance for the fruity sweetness. Personally, it was way too much for me to be able to have more than one.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Admittedly been a while since I've had this, but since I never plan to buy it again, here comes the review.

Pours a cloudy dark orange, slightly off-white head. The slightly darker-than-average color nets this a 3.5 score.

Wheat is definitely in the smell, and sunset only is if sunset smells like aggressive spices, lemon, blueberry. This smells incredibly sweet.

The taste is too sweet for me to enjoy. Mixing in the wheat begins to make me feel a little on the sick side. No discernible malt taste, hops are weaker than they need to be.

It's a summer drink so that's fine that it's not heavy. The wheat does provide just enough heft though, and carbonation is at a solid level. The wheat also provides a bit of coarseness, which is nice.

Overall, I can't stomach this beer, and food doesn't help. I'd rather have any number of other styles or other wheatbeers at a barbeque.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Sam Ult. beer glass

A - Cloudy dark yellowish color. Thick fluffy white head that stayed the whole way through

S - Holy cow. This is one of the most intensely smelling witbier's i've ever had. As soon as I popped the cap on this beer I though that someone had smashed a lemon over my head. Very very fruity- lemon/berry scents with a very mild wheat scent trying to fight it's way through.

T - Lackluster compared to the taste. I would have appreciated a more wheaty taste. The initial flavor is fruity, lots of berries and lemon/citrus. It really reminded me of fruit loops. wonder what it would taste like mixed with milk....

M - High carbonation somewhat thin for a witbier.

D - The first beer would go down like the titanic but the next might be a bit reluctant. The fruit flavors are almost too much, sort of masks the taste of the beer.

3.87/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, brown color with a 1 inch head. Smell is very fruity and sweet, lots of berries and lemons. Taste is good, a bit milder than the smell but still sweet with considerable notes of lemon and berries. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall this is an enjoyable beer.

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%

pours a murky gold color with highlights of light orange and amber and thick white head. The appearance is by far the most impressive part of the beer. The smell is super fruity and sweet. berries of all kinds and wheat.

The flavor is bursting with what tastes like artificial fruit flavors. Reminds me of fruity pebbles. Every berry sweetness you can imagine with a cereal wheat backbone is exactly what this beer tastes like. No trace of hops or hop bitterness as the sweetness is just overpowering and kills any other potential flavors. Rather gross.

The mouthfeel is decent. Its thin and well carbonated for its body. The drinkability, for me, is nil. If I had to drink the whole bottle, it would have been a drainpour, but it's my girlfriends favorite beer, so I decided to take a couple of notes for the sake of reviewing.

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Golden. Looks like most witbiers, though the particulate is a bit chunkier than most.
S: Lemony, with a hint of blueberries.
T: Citrusy, with an aftertaste of blueberries. I can't say that I'm digging this blueberry thing. I think "Wild Blue" ruined it for me.
M: A bit lacking in carbonation.
D: I can see this being a very drinkable beer, if you take a liking to it. I didn't, but I think it's more of a matter of personal preference than it is a case of a bad beer.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed 1-21-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - 2 fingers of foam, cloudy yellow, signs of decent carbonation, good layer of lacing

S - Citrus orange/lemon smell

T - Sweet tasting, you can taste the wheat/bready taste, no real after taste, gritty but turns smooth

M/D - An overall good brew from Leinenkugel's, light bodied but a little gritty on the tongue but turns smooth pretty quick. Pretty good wheat brew, not over the top but can taste the wheat. Not a brew I can drink all the time but for sure a good summer sipper. Glad I tried it and recommend it!!

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%

Ahh, Sunset Wheat-- the beer brewed with Froot Loops.

A- A dark golden tan, lightening to pale straw at the bottom. Big almost two finger head with some evident lacing. Quite cloudy from the collected sediment at the bottom, a very appetizing wit. Love-rly, a perfect wit look.

S- Fruit roll ups, gummi bears, wildflowers, oranges and grapefruits, big soft pillow-y scents of sweetness and florals. No discernible hops at all. Quite an extraordinary nose here, unlike most wits. I like it, it smells good, it just feels a bit artificial and overdone; subtler scents of corriander, overripe bananas and cloves are lost under a mountain of kids candy.

T- Strong fruit tastes are dominant here, with a strange flavor I can't quite peg down in the finish-- a sort of earthy taste, some sort of herb maybe? Very tasty, a bit juvenile at the low end though. It's not outstanding at all, very middle of the road, but it does it with such enjoyable, sugary flavors-- it's like indulging on Sour Patch Kids.

M- Light body with a medium thickness to it-- smidge too much carbonation here.

D- The gimmick here might get old after a few. I usually have this beer at concerts, as the first Sunset I had was at a Victor Wooten show. It was so tasty and refreshingly easy to drink I ended up drinking about four or five.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company