Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Ratings: 2,378 |  Reviews: 907
2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

This is a fruity beer meant for casual summer drinking. I picked up a six-pack and pouring into a beer glass, it was highly carbonated and smelled sticky-sweet and fruity.

While this is one of Lienenkugel's better summertime offerings, this beer really isn't anything special to write home about.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Saw this in a mixed 12 pack of other Leinies beers.

Color: Cloudy golden color with a decent fluffy head that fades down to a one-finger head, sticking to the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Coriander, orange peel and a bit of berry. Smooth and refreshing to the nose. Probably helps that it's served at room temperature.

Taste: Starts out somewhat thin and then the coriander, orange peel and berry flavors start to make themselves known. Some hop bitterness upfront. A second sip confirms the same thing.

Mouthfeel: Hop bitterness lingers at the back of the throat. No other flavors are present.

Verdict: This beer seems drinkable at first based on the aroma but I feel that it falls flat once you drink it. It's still very drinkable and would make a good summer beer.

I would still encourage someone to try this beer just for the sake of trying different beers.

1.89/5  rDev -43.8%

Why would anyone want to taste a beer that tastes like this?
I was intrigued to try this beer for 2 reasons 1) it was on sale at the A and P for 6.99 a six pack
2) it had a decent rating on here.

Wow. This stuff is awful.
Maybe my mistake was that I had a Southern Tier Matt and Phinn's Extrodinary ale about 20 minutes before it.
If you put a citus urinal cake in a coors lite, that is what it would taste like.

Maybe, just maybe in the middle of a hot hot day it might be refreshing.. maybe.

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

I've been waiting to try this for some time because my teammate encouraged me to try it out. How will I see it? On to the beer:

What is this exactly? I really want to like it, but I see it as a mediocre beer with high refreshment potential. Fruity Pebbles and blueberry are the most prevailing flavors with a rush of carbonation. I wonder how this would pair with a plate of blueberry pancakes.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This stuff taste just like Fruity Pebbles, of which I am a fan of. The taste is so fun. I like this beer for some reason. I would drink this all the time but it would probably make me sick! The mouthfeel is thin but fun.

Overall, this is a neat find. I like it! :-)

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Cloudy, straw color with little head, overall a pleasing appearance.

S - Definitely a hint of citrus along with a wheat smell.

T - When it first hits the mouth I can taste the citrus, finished off by a slight wheat taste, although I think the citrus overwhelms the taste overall.

M - The beer was pretty smooth overall, but a little too much carbonation for my taste.

D - I like this beer for the most part. I would most definitely drink another one in the future.

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%

a friend of mine suggested I should try this beer. to my surprise it was a very flavorful beer with a golden color and fruity spin. as one of my friends dubbed it the "fruit loop" beer. and i think she is quite right. although not overly fruity as some i have tried, this is a nice blend of beer with a citrus twist.

Draft in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy yellow with little head. I was a little annoyed with the orange wedge. Brewed with fruit, ok but not served with it.

S - Sweet and fruity.

T - Fruity and really smooth.

M - Light bodied and good carbonation.

D - Great beer with a really good clean finish.

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy, orange-yellow color. About 1/2 inch foamy head.

Smells incredibally ciyrusy, almost like orange juice. The fragarance is strong and fruity.

UDecent body with a slight fizz on the tongue, but uggh! It tastes sour/bitter. It smells like orange, but tastes like grapefruit. This bitterness is not like a hoppy bitterness. It took a whole glass for me to realize that it was grapefruit. It tastes like orange pith (the white under the rind). Yuck...

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy, hazy orange with a 1/2 inch foamy white head. Not much lacing on the glass. The smell is really something--fruity, peachy, sweet, & sugary. The taste is very light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Sweet & fruity. This is a great session beer. Very light & very tasty. Not sour or TOO sweet like some witbiers.

3.34/5  rDev -0.6%

Hazy grapefruit juice colored pour on draft with no head. Smell is like a cross of fruity pebbles, orange slice candy, and sweet tarts, yet somehow I like it. Taste is a mild, blandish fruity, candy like, with a big orange flavor and a light wheaty taste in the finish. Definitely unique, and somehow I like it, against my better judgement

3.07/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a bright yellow/orange with minimal white head. Not a bad appearance.

Taste and smell are very artificial. The orange flavor is way too intense. In fact, I can't really taste the wheat beer behind it at all. This is really just an attempt at a Blue Moon clone that went way overboard on the orange flavor. Nothing much else to say.

Overall: Avoid. If you're tempted, go for a Blue Moon instead. It's better in every way (which isn't saying much)

3.74/5  rDev +11.3%

Everyone seems to bitch about this beer and how it tastes like Fruity Pebbles or what not, but I wonder how many actually drink this more often than they like to admit. I actually found it quite pleasant. You have to take it for what is.

Extremely hazy wheat pour with a wonderfully fruity, bready aroma.

Tastes like.... yep, Fruity Pebbles but not in a bad way. It's a sweet beer, no doubt, but it's not at all unpleasant. I actually liked it quite a bit and would and will probably drink it again.

Guess I'm in the minority but what can I say? Sometimes I'm in the mood for this kind of beer and this one fits the bill.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

Citrus is one word that pops into my mind when I think of this beer. The smell is of citrus, as is the taste. In addition to citrus, wheet is also detectable in taste. Golden in color with a decent head. The mouthfeel is quite crisp like and clean similar to a cider. It is a fairly drinkable beer.

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle served at Ditto's in Litchfield, Conn.

A: Poured a light, pale fizzy golden yellow with a bit of sediment and clouded tinge. Had a slightly rocky head of white foam that laced nicely.

S: Smell is a little artificially sweetened limon and wheat. Like a cleaning product, possibly?

T: Taste is very tart lemon-lime with a musty wheat malt finish. I wouldn't consider this a witbier so much as I would an American Pale Wheat. I could see the citrus getting to me after a while, but it's probably dynamite in the hot summer heat.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp, thin, and a little sticky sweet because of the powerful citrus additives.

D: As with most wheats, the ABV is low, and the key to the brew's success is it's light, summery drinkability. Has to the be the right time, place and mood.

I'll give it props for having a clear time and audience in mind. My friend who doesn't drink to much beer was nicely surprised, and my girl was also, so it's more for that crowd. But, I'd through it back with a bucket of Hocus Pocus too.

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

A- Cloudy golden appearance with very little head

S- Heavy citrus, near overpowering

T- I didn't know Tang (tm) made beer. The orange citrus flavor completely dominated any other flavors trying to compete.

I was very surprised by the flavor of this beer. I guess my first sign should have been the orange slice on the tap handle. The beer was far too sweet for my tastes, and failed to satisfy as a wheat beer.

1.15/5  rDev -65.8%

The apperance is the only thing that impressed me (or should I say "fooled" me) about this beer.

Poured into a frosted mug, this beer looked beautiful. Dark golden-wheat...thought I was in for a treat.

Smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability AWFUL!!!

All I can say for all catagories is "perfume".

Yuk! Not even sure I would wear it as a cologne.

Sorry Leiny...I normally love your beers; but someone screwed up o this one.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased as a variety pack from Beer Zoo in Harrisburg, PA.

A-clear and appealing

T- it had a fruity pebble taste to it. They made it work though.

D-This is one of those beers that you have once and awhile because of the taste (see above). I could never just sit and drink this as a six pack or case.

Overall i like the beer just not the fruity raste.

4.3/5  rDev +28%

This beer was on fire special at a new establishment that I have found in Charlotte, so I decided to try one. Served in a pint glass, it is a pale yellow orange color with very little head once it came to the table. On first sniff orange peel is very previlant. Personally, I loved it. Taste also follows that of the smell with a strong orange flavor. The aftertaste does linger for a little while, but I wouldn't say that is a bad thing. It's definitely a beer that I'll enjoy on a regular basis.

2.79/5  rDev -17%

As a regular apologist for Leinenkugel's beers, I was thrilled when I first saw a tap at the bar on the East Coast. However, the beer was one I had not tried before in my Wisconsin days... the Sunset Wheat. While it isn't mired in the mediocrity of the lighter Leine's beers and is not the abomination that the Berry Weis is, this was a grand disappointment. I've since found my old standby Red on occasion at liquor stores in the DC area, but the Sunset Wheat has become all-pervasive and has shut out the far more worthy Creamy Dark and Big Butt Dopplebock.

Appearance: A cloudy, almost reflective yellow. However, the head is great and has excellent retention.

Smell: Fruit. The bane of my existence as a beer drinker. Obviously, I'm biased against fruit beers and don't give them the "fair shake" they probably deserve. But I've never, ever understood why people would drink fruit beer instead of a mixed drink with actual fruit juice. Fruit brings beer down, beer brings fruit down, that's just the way I see it.

Taste: The taste is not as bad as the smell at all. There's an actual beer flavor to it, if the lemony aroma still wafts through the flavor. This would make an excellent wheaty beer with a good hoppiness if it wasn't for the lemon assaulting my palate.

Mouthfeel: The fruit lingers on the tongue for quite a while, but that kind of aftertaste isn't as objectionable as a bad beer aftertaste. Good carbonation, plays on the tongue.

Drinkability: About average. I can see drinking this with my mother (who needs fruitiness to enjoy beer) or on a really hot summer's evening. It could also go well with selected foods (particularly something with lemon in it to help reduce the abrasiveness of the scent), but I'd have a hard time drinking it over the course of an evening or drinking more than one at a ballgame.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of the fringe benefits of having people over for poker is that they sometimes leave beer at your place that you wouldn't normally buy on your own. Somebody left this Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat in my fridge a couple weeks ago.

This beer pours a hazy pale orangey gold and is topped with a lacy and frothy snowy white head. The nose is full of citrus, lemon and orange. Almost mimosa type smells with light a sweet spiciness.
The first taste is quite bitter with over the top orange peel flavors. Crisp but sweetish wheat malt with a spicy finish. A sweetness starts taking over, an orangey sweetness with a extracty kind of taste.

I'm not a fan of American wheat beers as a rule and they tried to do a Belgian wit here but missed the mark.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Very pleasant American wheat ale offering. This would be the ticket on a nice summer evening, perhaps with some minor league baseball. It is a knockout with a spinach, orange, and nut salad -- not too heavy, but enough going on to keep it interesting. Pleasant and fun, not a beer to insult anyone.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

Very refreshing, great "anytime" beer. Has a faint citrus taste and of course a hint of blueberry flavor. Most of my female friends really enjoy this beer. Although one of my girlfriends claims it tastes like fruity pebbles. I have a deep love for witbier and this is a tasty, fairly inexpensive 6 pack.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

This is an enjoyable beer. No, it is not a world class wheat beer, but it is easy to drink and has good taste. If I compare this to another widely distributed spicy wheat this is the clear winner.

I poured this into my favorite glass it has a nice cloudy yellow orange appearance. The head is medium at best and leaves a little lace and foam throughout the drink.

The nose is mostly fruity with a dash of spice. Pretty nice. Easily revived with a quick swirl of the contents.

Taste is fruity, citrus, yeast and some spice. Aftertaste is a little malty not as pleasant. Not far off from the European stuff. It is just not quite as complete as the world class stuff. I would like to try this without the blueberries.

Mouth feel is medium; not astringent. Nice carbonation that doesn't go flat as the beer progresses.

Drinkability is not bad. This may be the part that keeps the review a little lower in score. The intangibles are what makes great beer great. This is an easy one to get and much better than the macros.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

My first leinenkugels was in Austin TX. It was the HOney Weiss and i really liked it so i figured since i can only get the Sunset Wheat up here in NH that id give it a try.

Very orange red in color and smells of orange. Very light hefe taste, strong in orange flavor. Ive found that after drinking other beers its a nice finish beer. It seems to compliment the other beer flavors as a last beer of the night. As a stand alone beer, its a bit ordinary....well as ordinary as an organgeish tasting beer can be. I like the orangeish color and love that it pours with almost no head. Foam just gets in the way for me.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company