Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Sunset WheatLeinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Witbier

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).

Added by jj21 on 03-16-2006

Reviews: 901 | Ratings: 2,361
3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a brown bottle with a freshness date printed on the bottle into a pint glass and I get 1 finger on head. The date looks like Oct 9, 2014.? That doesn't make sense.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color and I get 1 finger of head that dissipates fast to leave a soapy ring around the glass. There is little to no lacing.

S: I smell some lemon and some wheat. Not much but maybe some fruit...berry of some sort.

T: Blueberries upfront and then some lemon zest and then finishes sweet. It's sweet, too sweet. Am I not supposed to taste coriander? It's not there. It tastes mostly of blueberries.

M: Creamy at first with some carbonation and a little bitterness. It goes down good but it is very sweet.

O: I'm not a fan because it is so sweet. It goes down good enough though but I don't want another. However, the girls here seemed to gravitate towards this one. My friend said that she doesn't like beer, generally, but likes this one. Go figure.

3.72/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance:
Poured into a pilsner glass, a pale, hazy orange color greets you with a thin, cream-colored head. A decent amount of carbonation and little bit of lacing with noticeable legs wraps up the welcome appearance.

Aroma:
Very pleasant. A bit of malt, orange and lemon, spiced up with coriander and surrounded by blueberries. Gobs of blueberries. Sweet, crisp, and straight to the point.

Taste:
Not as much blueberry as the nose leads you to believe, but plenty of coriander. Light hints of honey and creamy wheat malts with no detectable hops and a crisp finish. Reminds me of Fruity Pebbles, which is used to love growing up.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy. Medium-bodied with nice levels of carbonation. Easy to drink and highly refreshing.

Overall:
I could easily enjoy multiples of this witbier in one sitting. Incredibly easy to drink. Definitely worth trying.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a hazy orange copper color with a billowy one finger white head. The head fades rather rapidly leaving some light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is on the sweeter side with a variety of fruit smells. Orange and lemon are the strongest, but other light fruit aromas of peach and some berry seem to be there as well. Along with the sweet is some spice of coriander and a decent showing of wheat, overall leading to a fruity wit aroma.

Taste –The taste begins with a more grainy wheat taste accentuated by a larger amount of mixed fruit. As the taste advances some flavors of yeast come to the tongue along with some spice which all in all combined in the end to leave a sweet and fruity wheat taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of its thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is rather average as well. Both are quite fitting for the style and make it a nice summer style beer.

Overall – An alright brew overall. Nothing super out of the ordinary, but nothing wrong with it either.

3.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I haven't been a huge fan of Leinenkugel stuff and so in my tasting session I wasn't expecting much here. I was pleasantly wrong.

AP: much more coppery in color than most wheat beers I'm accustom to.

SM: Although I don't believe it's in there, it has a faint anise smell.

M: effervescence evidence of bottle conditioning

T: the black licorice flavors return and provide a surprising bitter-sweetness.

I had this in a tasting session and compared/contrasted it with Hoegaarden which also has coriander in it. The Sunset Wheat isn't tempered with orange peel however and I think this is what leads to the anise overtones. I enjoyed it.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a cloudy golden color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are decent. There is a hint of wheat with the aroma, but it mainly smells like a cleaner with a citrus aroma. Not a good sign. Taste isn't much better. Citrus cleaner, slight wheat, no hops. Very sweet. Not good at all. Lighter bodied with moderate carbonation. This was really one of my first beers when I delved into the craft scene. I liked it then because I didn't have much experience. I haven't had it in a long time. I hope it is just a bad bottle, but I am afraid, I may be mistaken. It is actually making my stomach feel a little queasy. I may not finish this one. Come to think of it, when I first drank this beer, I had gotten sick that night. Maybe that had something to do with it.

1.44/5  rDev -57.1%

I'm reviewing this beer from "notes" (consisting, in part, of vivid nightmares!!). I try really hard to like a beer, and have found few that I couldn't drink, but this execrable potion is one. I like most Leinie beers, and wish that some of them were more available in my area....But, when I try to find some Leinies, its usually this stuff that stares me in the face, or some variety pack wherein this "beer" figures prominently.

There's enough sediment in this beer, that it goes way beyond hazy and into the realm of "tainted". The sediment in one bottle was definitely discolored (as in decay). To compare the taste of this beer to Fruity Pebbles, as some have done, would be an insult to Fruity Pebbles. It's more like that old terrible cereal "Boo Berry" (yuck and double yuck)- really fakey fruit taste infused into puffed rice- this sounds not too far off, actually....

I have fond memories of Leinie's in the returnable longnecks-- I wish breweries would bring back this custom. Nowadays, I really like the amber lager, if available, and would really like to try the "creamy dark". But, they really miss with this one. Maybe if they get enough of this crap sent back, they'll replace it with something decent.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle to a mug.

Look: You have to pour a bit aggressive to get a nice one finger head going. It pours a golden brown that is hazy throughout. The head diminishes to a thin ring and it leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: Getting some things that I don't generally smell in a Witbier, peach is the most prevalent. Seems to be a bit of coriander maybe? A very pleasant aroma that stay throughout.

Taste: Generally good. Lots of wheat and malt with a bit of the fruit that you smell. Maybe a type of berry as well. Black or blue maybe? Not sure. I generally don't like those type of berries, but it's working out nicely here.

Feel: Very light and refreshing. I wish it was hot out so I could enjoy that a bit more. The carbonation level is right around my preference.

Overall: I was very surprised by this. I picked it up in a mix-six but would definitely grab a full six next time. It's light and fun, and with the lower abv, I could knock a few back in mid-day after some yard work. (Always a plus)

2.87/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am glad I bought one bootle at the store. It is was way to sweet and 'fruity.

Appreance: Golden yellow with a white frothy head
Smells L fruits and whean
Taste YOu can taste fruits, with no balnce ot it '
Mouthful : is very acidic in the mouth

Overall : I would pick up a blue moon any day before this beer. THis is an average beer on hot summer day at best !

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Drank from the bottle, so didn't get a good look.

Smell: Sweet smell.

Taste: Tasted fruity, and a little like Fruity Pebbles. After a while it began to get a more and more bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Was smooth.

Drinkability: Good to drink with a fruit salad, or for breakfast. LOL!

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer seems to kill it with the ladies during the spring/summer time. It is another one of Leinenkugel's extract style fruity beers. It like the others tastes "soda-like". But this one especially tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" of all things. It sounds odd but it really does. This beer will always do well in the spring and especially with the ladies with a sweet tooth for beer.

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Very hazy medium shade of orange and golden straw body, with a fluffy white head. Some lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like fruity pebbles, lemons, and only a hint of hop muskiness pops out in the end. Mostly it smells just like a bowl of fruity pebbles.

T: Some wheat twangy flavor mixed with fruity pebble cereal. It doesn't taste like a wit, but I get what they're doing with it. My only qualm is that the flavor tastes very artificial. I don't know if it has real flavoring or not, but it tastes too harsh. It's hard to pick out the flavors in the beer when my palate is washed with fruit.

M: The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. It is pretty easy to drink, and has a fairly light body. There is some texture to the beer as well.

O: Overall I was not a fan of the beer. I thought that it really didn't taste like a witbier, and seriously was a lot like drinking fruity pebbles. I would have liked to taste more of the beer and less of the fruit flavoring. It's worth trying if you really like fruit beers, but I don't think it's a beer that would draw a person back.

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a tainted copper color with peachy, golden highlights - inevitable witbier haze throughout, capped off with a frothy, almost-creamy white head that settles shortly after the pour and deposits trace amounts of lacing on the glass. Surprisingly aromatic, nice combination of light spices, wheat, and a collection of fruitiness. Lemon zest and orange peels are the most prominent, but I feel like there's some other kind of berry in there. To be completely honest, the aroma draws a striking resemblance to a big bowl of Fruity Pebbles. The dry wheat aroma settles things down a bit. Not getting much of a hop profile, if any, from the nose.

The taste draws from that same fruitiness; lemon and orange zest, again, some type of unidentifiable berry. The spice comes out a bit more, side by side with the bread-filled, wheat laced backbone. Some slightly floral and delicate perfumey aromas and tastes start to jump out - not sure if it's from the hops or from some of the spices used. Wheat stays strong despite the fruit onslaught. Maybe it's just my nose tricking me, but I even get a subtle taste of Fruity Pebbles as well. I'm telling you, try this one and tell me it doesn't smell/taste like Fruity Pebbles. Overall a bit watery at times, it wouldn't hurt to be amped up a bit in terms of robustness and/or flavor, but then again, I guess that's not what you expect from a Leinie wheat beer. Pretty thin body, medium-high amount of carbonation gives it a tight, crispy snap.

This one holds a special place in my heart because it was the first "craft" beer (albeit possible faux craft, but that's beside the point) I ever had, and it was long before my actual endeavor into craft beers. My friends and I used to go to the store and pick up a few six packs of Sunset Wheat and play video games all night. Those were the days. Upon revisiting, I'm definitely not nearly as infatuated with this brew as I once was, but it's not a bad beer at all. Still remains sessionable and nice for a summertime cool-down.

2.67/5  rDev -20.5%

Sunset Wheat

LOOK: Pale cloudy yellow. Soapy white head and little to no lacing.

SMELL: Wheat, grain, and berry like notes.

TASTE: Sweet wheat malt and a blueberry note. Little to no bitterness. Sweet malty flavor rounds out the beer.

FEEL: Light to medium bodied with a fair amount of malt sweetness in the finish.

OVERALL: This is a lager with blueberry flavor. Pretty average for a lager with moderate artificial flavor. Avoid unless you can't handle the flavor of a real beer or if you simply love blueberries.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

First discovered this beer when at a local restaurant was serving it with blueberries. Took a sample and well my better half seems to enjoy the said combination.

Bought this six pack for the holidays from the local Sheetz, and poured into a glass. What a few of the others have said below about a nice head and such - I get none, mine was light if anything and quickly faded to a small foamy rim around the edge of the glass. The color is creamy - like a thick cream ale - yeah I guess that really isn't a color, but the overall appearance doesn't put my off, but it doesn't stand out either.

This being a wheat beer you can smell the fruity'ness, but I don't really get the orange scent or the coriander as you find in others. I definetly can get the blueberry idea though. I'm not saying it smells like blueberry, just that I can see where that would taste well with it. The fruity isn't girly, but it doesn't scream Metal either. Average

Taste I actually like, this is my second one today. Although I don't think I'll have a third. It's fruity, lemon like caramel. (try that with some Jelly Belly's and see how it taste??) Again I don't get the normal corieander spice kick that I find with most wheat beers I've tasted. Above average.

Mouthfeel - in all my reviews I've done, if it's crisp I give it a good rating - this is crisp, doesn't leave a filmy taste on my mouth. I'll go with 4

I will say I don't normally enjoy wheat beers but this one isn't that bad and I will definitly try again and may even shop for it. It's good, not great in my opinion. If you like wheats try it. If you don't it may be different enough that you still may want to try.

4.74/5  rDev +41.1%

Appearance: - Golden wheat color, cloudy. Head was mostly lasting with fair lacing.

Sent: Sweet wheat aroma with lemon zest, blueberry, and some floral notes.

Taste: Very crisp, fresh taste with a hint of blueberry

Mouth feel: : Smooth and light bodied, slightly hoppy at the beginning, giving way to a wheat complexion with the lemon and blueberry.

Overall Impression: Loved the blueberry aroma/taste. It was stronger in the scent than in the flavor. Excellent when cold, okay when starting to get warm.

2.74/5  rDev -18.5%

More poker night leftovers, poured into a Hoegarden glass from the bottle. Seemed to be witbier cicking it all of a sudden.

A light golden dull brass color, a mix of haze and clarity in appearance for the body. Manages some decent retention and a light white sudsy merringue like head. Settles slowly to a good puck. Not much rising carbonation on this,

This nose smells like green melon. Really smells like cantaloupe. Sugary sweet smelling, dime store candy. Smells more like fruit soda than beer.

Strangely in the palate more of that melon character is there, but much more subdued. More finish on the aftertaste, sweet Tang like melon characters with a decent full body. Flattened cola tasting a bit, but lots of sweetness on the finish.

It's sort of a melon thick soda than a witbier. Not feeling the love on this one.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a very hazy straw color with an enormous head and substantial lacing. The smell is floral, lemons, and oranges. Mouthfeel is about overdone with carbonation. If they could dial that back a little it would be much more pleasing. Taste is a fruitiness upfront that seamlessly gives way to a spicy mild bitterness on the finish. A very average beer, but very drinkable. I wouldn't turn one down.

2.77/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a hazed, opaque, slightly pale yellow-gold coloring with a thin, white coating of head. Aromas of fruitcake, with a lemony highlight and a slight roasting. Flavors are sharp, with an effervescence that almost obliterates the flavors. The fruit sweetness is short-lived, and there is a tangy floral end flavor that really sours the palate. The aftertaste is watered down, with a touch of floral dashed in there. Bleh, it's turning into a bit of a mess now. Filmy, cloying finish. Not good.

2.66/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy gold with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, fake citrus aromas, and a perfume-like note. Taste is much the same with an artificial aftertaste. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that is not really all that beer-like in my opinion.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

This is a decent summery beer, more like an American pale wheat ale than a witbier in some regards. It has a distinct wheat flavor, but is also light and mildy spicy. It's a suitable summer session beer for anyone. Those who aren't particularly adventurous with beer, but do like a Blue Moon from time to time would probably enjoy this. For me, it's a little too indistinct to be a regular summer choice.

4.39/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Currently my favorite beer. About a year ago I went to Buffalo Wild Wings where I was introduced to this it. Instead of ordering my usual glass of Hefe I asked the bartender to give me something different. He gave me this and immediately I tasted fruity pebbles cereal and fell in love. Needless to say I was feeling so good when it was time to leave, i forgot to ask what the name of the beer was. After a few more attempts and the same results, I finally asked the name BEFORE I asked for the "fruity pebbles" beer. They told me and I've been buying it ever since....I love this beer!

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, with a pretty nice one-finger fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some yeast notes, lemon, and some nice fruityness. The taste is malty, yeast, fruity, with some citrus notes. Medium body. A nice brew for a hot day.

1.96/5  rDev -41.7%

The body of the beer is fizzy and light but seems to have few flavors native to the fundamental brewing process; almost all of the flavorings seem imported after the fact, and these seem oily and aromatic and thus made this beer taste like furniture polish or something even more industrial; the top notes are falsely fruity, but below that are the more citrusy, Lemon Pledge sorts of effects, with other odd chemical notes. This beer, in its thinness and weird, artificial tang bears no resemblance to a typical Weizen. I tried to get used to it with a gamey sense of experiment, but the sense that I was drinking unpleasant chemicals in the name of beer actually got more offensive as I persisted.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A different taste from the German Weisse beers I’ve been drinking. Very citrusy. Orange peel? Almost like a blend of German weisse and Belgian witbier. Color is orange /gold and hazy. Light and airy head that stays with the drink on the way down. A nice summer drink from Leinenkugel.

3.56/5  rDev +6%

A - a golden orange/light brown, has wheat grains floating in it,

S - Smells somewhat like fruit, can also smell wheat, hops

T - Tastes pretty good, can taste, wheat, hops

M - Refreshing, relaxing, very crisp, clean, a pleasure to sip on

O - Great for a summer afternoon, while it may not be outstanding, it is still very good

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company