Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

leinie.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Darker brown, but transparent. Small tan head that dissipates and has some lacing around glass.

S: Metallic, barley, malt. Not much going on for it smellwise.

T: Roasted malt, some hop, but mostly a earthy barley taste.

M: For being a "creamy" I would say this was awfully watery. Okay coating, odd finish.

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

How curious - a style without any guidelines. In that case, I will review to taste and since I am tasteless guy, anything could happen ...

My pour resulted in just under a finger of light-tan head that wilted quickly in this unrelenting heat. Color was a deep dark-brown with cola highlights at the edges. Nose smelled of licorice and molasses. In a lager?!? Mouthfeel was kind of thin and it tasted like drinking watery cocoa powder mix. WTF? Man, this was one bizarre beer, even for me. Finish was lightly chocolaty with a mild smokiness on the extreme finish. I really have no point of reference on this one. I am not a fan of the Black IPA hybrid style, but this was something different. I guess that what bugged me was its thin mouthfeel and its lack of Ooomph in terms of flavor. It's a neat concept, but it could be better executed, IMHO.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

A - Dark amber, cola like coloring, slight tan head that quickly disappears, slight lacing onthe glass.

S - Slight maltiness and a burnt metallic scent, overall a rather subdued nose.

T - Get some roasted maltiness up front, a bit watery, finish is coffee like

M - Light to medium bodied, mild carbonation.

D - Doesn't do a lot for me, not a lot of depth or character

2.99/5  rDev -11%

A ruddy brew that's clear despite it's deep amber color. The head is a peach fuzz tan and quick to fade. Not a bad looking brew but also unimpressive.

Nose is a fail in my book. It has a subtle malt but consists more of a coppery metallic skunk scent. I'd chalk it up to expired beer but the best by date is Aug. 2011, a full month away.

Taste is a mix of tart fruit to sweet malt. Better then the nose but still less then awesome. At least it doesn't taste skunky as the nose suggests (even a dark lager.)

The mouthfeel is equally as weak with a good carbonation but overlly dry for a sub 5% brew. Just like everything else the feel has little to no character and not much enticing me to drink more. I can finish this bottle and then never expect to have another. Really a simple not so great brew.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

This brew pours out as a really dark brown, almost black in color with a nice looking tan head. The aroma is packed with roasted and burnt malts and some nice hints of hops on the nose. The taste is nicely roasted with a good amount of malts upfront with a rich burnt bitterness in the aftertaste. The hops don't really shine thorugh in the flavor at all. The mouthfeel is lighter than most dark lagers which is ok I suppose. I'd prefer it to be a little thicker. Overall I was happy to have tried this one because it was one of the harder Leinie's to find in my area. I'd drink this one again.

4.06/5  rDev +20.8%

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - Beautiful! 3-finger, thick, mocha-colored head laces the glass very nicely as it goes down. The body is pitch black, but transparent with ruby highlights when backlit.

S - chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of coffee and bitter hops

T - Delicious! The flavor of roasted malts is delightfully complemented by a strong presence of bitter hops. The case and bottle specifically advertise the combination of Cluster, Cascade, and Mt. Hood hops, and I can taste why. This is a well-crafted beer indeed!

M - Thinner than it looks. Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth!

O - This is certainly the best Leinenkugel's offering I have tried. It looks amazing in the glass, the smell is nothing but inviting, the taste is very good, and the smooth consistency is quite pleasant. I highly recommend it!

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

reviewed from notes, this one was poured into a pint glass and given to me by my in laws.

the pour was a decent dark brown with light highlights around the edges and a nice tan head that reached about two inches before settling back down to earth. aroma of artifical chocolate and light roast, some light caramel as it warms but nothing over the top here by any means, flavor was clean, smooth chocolate is well supported by caramel, light bitter coffee and dark malts, hint of dryness in the finish with a touch of vanilla. body is light and seems to be off putting given the flavor.

overall not terrible by any means, and it is what it is.

From notes: Brownish/black pour with a minimal tan head. Aroma is of caramel, roasted malts, a bit of chocolate, and heavy cream. Taste is creamy, malty, a bit of chocolate, and lighter of the style. Palate is sweet, short, and somewhat watery. Overall, It's not the best dark lager I've ever had, but it's about what I expected from Leinenkugels. Decent.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.

Appearance: It has a nice dark color, slightly darker than a coca cola with a hint of red. Off white head that disappears quickly.

Smell: It is a weak smell that is hard to pick up. I smell a sweet coffee and chocolate scent.

Taste: It has a smooth creamy taste that is good. It has toasty caramel and coffee tastes. It has a pretty good flavor.

Mouthfeel: It has a sharp crisp taste initially then settles smooth and creamy. It has a mild to low carbonation.

Drinkability: This is an easy beer to drink. I believe I could only drink 2-3 at most. The coffee taste is good and it has a nice balance that isn't too complex or too boring.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Dark brown with red highlights, with about 1/2 a fingers worth of off white head that settles to a nice ring with some soapy lacing that hangs on until the end.

S: I'm getting a few things here... sweet malt, a hint of coffee, toast and chocolate. The malt gets sweeter smelling as it warms. Aftertaste has a slight bitterness and warmth.

T: The malt is the strongest taste here... The malt is both sweet and roasted with hints of chocolate and very light coffee. Pretty much like the smell.

M: A lot lighter than I was expecting, carbonation is lively at first but mellows as it warms. Creamy it is not.

D: Very easy to drink, good flavors and low ABV so you could drink a few. Again a pretty good little brew from Leinenkugels. Worth a try.

3.16/5  rDev -6%

Good looking beer, but I think that category is given too much weight in the scoring here. Chestnut brown with ruby highlights when backlit, and a fluffy dirty blonde head that stays briefly then fades to film and ring.

Clean, grainy, and a little bit malty sweet. Even a faint bit of roast.. Pleasant is about as strong of a compliment I can come up with. As certainly as It's not bad it is similarly not special.

Just enough malty to balance the vaguely roasty grainy flavor that dominates.

Light carbonation and pretty thin, but there is a little bit of something there. I guess you could fairly say it is on the low side of medium body, and it finishes clean.

This beer has some flavor and it goes down easy. If a guy found himself at a family reunion in the midwest, this would beat the crap out of whatever macro lagers found sharing cooler space with it.

Actually kind of surprised to find this in my parents fridge, where they have (with no small amount of influence on my part) evolved towards Two Hearted, Bell's Java Stout and other very respectable brews. But I can see where it might be the right one for the job, under certain circumstances. Not bad, not great.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

A - dark brown body, 1 finger head that disappears and no lacing.

S - hint of toasted nuts and malt.

T - very mild toasted nuts and roasted malt, bubbly dark lager.

M - light body, too much carbonation for this style.

D: Out of all the Leine's this is one of the few I don't mind. Not a must have, but not awful either.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a mug

Appearance: Dark brown almost with very little transparency. There is a nice foamy tan head as well.

Smell: Not as strong as I would expect but there is a nice nutty smell with a little bit of a sweet malty scent

Taste: It takes a little while to first get a flavorful taste but then it goes from a mild bitterness to a very pleasant nutty aftertaste. I really like the aftertaste of this one and would really enjoy having a few of these.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Well it poured to a half inch thick head and had a transluscent dark body when held up to the light, so ok.

Some lacing, smells like a beer nothing hard core of note, but decent.

Thin mouthfeel, and a raisiny, but not phenomenal nose, tastes like a dark lager.

I am not a big fan of this style, but it is just an ok version of the style. It is easy to drink, but nothing I would seek out again..not bad for the price.

2.01/5  rDev -40.2%

To preface, i did not buy this beer. I was at a party and it was free. To me a fair price.

The smell was malt and generic "dark beer"

The taste was not bad or good for that matter.

For being called "creamy dark" there was no cream. That is to say it was about as creamy as skim milk.

In the end this could be a gateway beer for MGD drinkers ending in a discovery of true stouts.

3.36/5  rDev 0%

Bottle no. 01171-C20956. Sampled on December 14, 2010. It certainly has a handsome looking dark amber-ruby red pour with a little bit of head that never quite goes away. The aroma is rather thin with elements of yeast, grains, and malts. The body weight is around medium. The flavor has a hint of bitterness but it leaves a sour aftertaste. I had it with pizza and it was fine.

3.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured in pint glass.

A - fine looking, mahogany color; clear. Nice off-white head but too short lived.

S - like the taste, main aroma is toasted malts

T - no flaws, yet not an exceptional brew worthy of strong recommendation. Minimal hop presence. malty aftertaste.

M - smooth and, as advertised, a bit creamy.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance - Very dark brown/amber mixed with a deep ruby color. Clear. Had only the slightest off white head that had decent retention and ok lacing. The head settled to a respectable film.

Smell - Some caramel malt in the nose. Some roasted malt. Picked up a miniscule amount of coffee bean. Molasses even. Biscuit aromas pick up as the beer warms.

Taste - Roasted or toasty malt at first with the taste. The caramel is no as present. Getting more of a raisin flavor and also some grain. Even a slight bit of coffee.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel and mostly dry. Coats the throat and tongue modestly. Smooth and creamy.

Drinkability - This beer isn't bad. Decent little change. The brew looked and smelled good enough. Might be more of an entry level dark beer for people looking to expand their horizons. I could drink a few of these for sure.

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%

From the bottle. Amber/dark brown in color. Thin head. Aroma of burnt malt/cooked grains. Malty flavor with a little chocolate and smokey/cooked grain. I would say that yes, it is smooth, and easy to drink. Enjoyable, tasty brew. Worth another purchase.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

This Dark beer from Leinie's while pouring very nicely into my beer mug where I see a dark brownish beer with a small yellowish-white head that has good retention with not much lacing. The carbonation is very good and when smelling the beer I can faintly smell some hops, but nothing that stands out. I will admit that this beer looks and feels a lot better than it tastes, because while it has a nice creamy texture to the mouthfeel and goes down nice and smoothly the taste is not as good as I was expecting. When drinking it I can taste some malts with a slight taste of hops, and even though the bottle says nothing about chocolate being in there I am pretty sure I can taste a slight bitterness of chocolate in the aftertaste. I have learned from this beer that it might not always taste as good as it looks. I don't think this is a bad beer, but not something to go out of your way for either.

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours light brown, appears transparent dark brown in the glass. Small tan head.

S- Big malt and wheat on the nose, caramel malt.

T- Dark caramel malt, slight zest, wheat. Not much going on here.

M- Thin, watery. Nothin special.

D- Malty, easy drinking. Not complex or that tasty overall but not so bad.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer pours a dark amber color. Very little head at all, and what there is appears white/brown. Smell is malty, with some caramel/sweet odor.

This beer tastes very good. It is a bit darker and heavier than others, but nowhere near say a Guinness draught.

2.91/5  rDev -13.4%

A - almost light porter in color, fast falling head.

S - non-roasted malts, some caramel... but mostly just a heavy box box lager.

T - lager with caramel. Not bitterness which is biotech nice, smooth.

M - light coating but good tingle on sides of tongue.

D - I could drink this over basically any other non stout or porter.

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

Some of my favorite beers are dark lagers, and this one doesn't disappoint. I poured this from a bottle into a tall stein.

appearance is dark with medium brown around the edges. head is fairly white slightly off color but probably due to reflection of the beer.

smell is very nice, probably the best point of this beer. it's got some very sweet smelling notes to it and I really enjoyed this beer quite a bit before I had even taken my first drink.

taste was a bit of a let down to me. I expected it to be a little darker then it was. I guess that's the creamy part being a little lighter in flavor but over all it was really a good beer.

mouthfeel is good with a bit of a tingle to the tongue and you can tell you're drinking a good dark lager.

Drinkability is good, I would grab this beer if it was one of 10 beers available.

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark brown with thin head.

S: Very malty with some hints of chocolate.

T: Light chocolate taste with some piney hops. A bit of a smokey finish.

M: Light with some above average carbonation. Not as creamy as I'd hoped.

D: Not too bad.

I didn't get a whole lot out of this beer. Glad I got it in a mixed 6.

Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company