Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Honey WeissLeinenkugel's Honey Weiss

Added by TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Ratings: 1,560 |  Reviews: 466
1.25/5  rDev -57.6%

1.28/5  rDev -56.6%

Pours a clear pale golden color with no head. Isn't thsi supposed to be a wheat beer, and thus have a cloudy appearance with a big head? The stench is of aour piss. The taste is not unlike the stench. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Overall, this is a horrilbe beer. My speculation is that the people at Leinenkugal call corn wheat and wheat corn. There is certainly no detectable wheat in the beer.

1.3/5  rDev -55.9%

1.33/5  rDev -54.9%

I poured myself a Leinenkugel Honey Weiss in a .3L weiss glass. The beer seemed to seperate itself for the glass itself. Mind you I carefully clean my glasses according to accepted beer standards. The pizza glass phenomenon is not for me. So I'm not sure why there was no beer clinging to the glass.

A- Not too bad; golden in color that looks okay under artificial lighting.

S- Not so good; I couldn't differentiate anything relating to Honey or wheat for that matter.

T- Yikes. What happened to the taste? There is nothing that resembles what we call 'flavor' in this beer.

M- Watery- that's being kind too.

O- Huge dissapointment. I expected something respectable. I know I have high standards but even an average beer drinker deserves better then this.

1.57/5  rDev -46.8%

It's a shame to actually call this a beer. So far, the worst Leinie I've had yet.

It pours with no head. There is almost nothing in the smell to indicate it's a beer. Color is something similar to what I flush every morning.

Mouthfeel is like watered-down tea. Little taste, and nothing in the finish.

1.58/5  rDev -46.4%

Available everywhere in the North Midwest. Leine’s Honey Weiss pours a straw colored yellow with practically no head or lacing. Also the beer was filtered and was clear. The smell was non-existent. Some sweeter malt scenes but really not much there. No honey tones nor flowery essence.

The taste was rather plain. Similar to a macro with no hops. The malt was really the only flavor, and it tasted more like pale or base malts. No real wheat flavor and no real weizen flavor. The body was very light and really more of a watery taste to it. I was not impressed with this beer at all.

1.58/5  rDev -46.4%

By and large an unimpressive beer. I know a lot of people who drink this as their beer because it's affordable, but you get what you pay for. It's drinkable, but only as a last resort. The flavor is very bland, with little distinction, but it isn't distinguished or otherwise worthy of note.

1.6/5  rDev -45.8%

I'm usually able to appreciate Leine's ability to make somewhat different pseudo-micro stuff, but this was a disappointment from the get-go. First, It poured CLEAR yellow, with little white, foamy head. Not at all what a wheat beer is "supposed" to be. Very sour, sickly sweet smell, not at all endearing. Tastes vaguely like honey, but overall, more like a honey lager, and not a honey wheat. Mouthfeel is almost greasy, coating the tongue and throat, not enjoyable and definitely making this a one time beer.

1.65/5  rDev -44.1%

Extremely pale straw yellow. My experience is still on the limited side, but I don't think I've seen a beer this pale before. The head is bright white, almost the color of cotton, is short-lived and leaves negligible lace.

The nose is honeyish and somewhat sweet. I also smell an underlying unpleasantness that I'll call 'musty' for want of a better term. Looks like the flavor could be in trouble.

Wow, it's even worse than anticipated. LHW actually tastes like a macro. It's sort of stale and sour with an unpleasant bitterness that tweaks my tongue and makes it beg for good beer. Sweetness is noted, but it sure doesn't taste like honey. The mouthfeel is abysmally thin and watery.

It can't be that hard to brew decent beer, can it? Give Honey Weiss a wide berth.

1.66/5  rDev -43.7%

Very clear and light golden color. Two fingers of starch white foamy head settled quickly into a thin soapy film. No lacing.

The nose has small hints of banana and a grainy malt profile.
The flavor is a dose of the same, but with a sweet aftertaste... In fact, the beer is too sweet. The overall flavor reminds me of sweetened cereal grains.

The body is thin, very thin. Very bubbly. This is practically Miller Lite in nearly all aspects.

Overall... Well, after not having one of these for 7 or 8 years, I can pmfortably say that I will go at least double that before reaching for another (except in those dire situations, perhaps at a BBQ?!)

1.66/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured with a rather creamy 2 finger head that appeared to have substance but then quickly collapsed back into the beer. Very light gold color, very clear and only subtle visible carbonation. A nice looking beer actually.

Aroma is of two things sweetness and the grainy smell of wheat. Not sure I would identify the sweetness if it wasn't in the name, so I'll try not to be led and say it smells like honey.

The taste is quite empty actually. I'm not kidding. I'm getting a slight sweetness and a bit of a wheat finish. But before that, I really do not get much flavor at all. My gosh, this tastes like I describe Coors light. (Water like) Not very good at all. You have to literally hold the beer in your mouth to get a sensation of any hops.

I guess it's a drinkable as water and the mouth feel is the same. Neither of these are good in my book.

Truly not worth the calories. What a huge disappointment after I was strangely intrigued by the Sunset Wheat. I actually liked that. This on the other hand is a total waste of time.

1.68/5  rDev -43.1%

Appearance: Yellow. About all I can say.
Smell: Expected honey or other scent of a typical wheat beer, but got nothing.
Taste: Slightly sweet, with a hint of honey, like it was added as an afterthought. They brewed this an went "Oh yeah, we got to add the honey." Then just added it to the mix.
Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, with no aftertaste (thankfully).
Drinkability: Not a wheat beer. Won't have this again.

Final Thoughts: Not what I expected. Definitely worse...but don't even get me started on the Berry Weiss.

1.7/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance - Looks like a macro. Clear, light gold. Moderately tall, soapy head that doesn't stick around too long. Fizzy.

Smell - Quite light, even indistinct. Grainy with maybe a hint of a citrus smell.

Taste - Dry and malty. A little citrusy sourness at the end. Flavor seems very thin.

Mouthfeel - Like the flavor, the mouthfeel is quite thin. Stingingly carbonated.

Drinkability - Not real good, not something I'd keep around.

1.72/5  rDev -41.7%

Finally getting around to reviewing this stuff, have had it many times in years past. Found a Leinie's 12 pack sampler for $6.99 on closeout, probably the only way you could convince me to buy it. Clear gold in color, almost no head, just a couple bubbles. Smell is of nothing much, light malt and something adjuncty. Taste is unimpressive and boring. The little sweetness that the honey imparts doesn't make up for how poorly crafted this stuff is. Not a very good beer, aviod unless you get a deal like I did.

1.75/5  rDev -40.7%