Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Kristalweizen

Featuring a touch of real Wisconsin honey, Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a golden-hued traditional American weiss beer inspired by a classic German style. It's traditionally garnished with a lemon wedge for added citrus aroma that perfectly complements the sweet, subtle flavors of the beer.

Added by TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

3.5

Ratings: 1,578 |  Reviews: 469
1.66/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured with a rather creamy 2 finger head that appeared to have substance but then quickly collapsed back into the beer. Very light gold color, very clear and only subtle visible carbonation. A nice looking beer actually.

Aroma is of two things sweetness and the grainy smell of wheat. Not sure I would identify the sweetness if it wasn't in the name, so I'll try not to be led and say it smells like honey.

The taste is quite empty actually. I'm not kidding. I'm getting a slight sweetness and a bit of a wheat finish. But before that, I really do not get much flavor at all. My gosh, this tastes like I describe Coors light. (Water like) Not very good at all. You have to literally hold the beer in your mouth to get a sensation of any hops.

I guess it's a drinkable as water and the mouth feel is the same. Neither of these are good in my book.

Truly not worth the calories. What a huge disappointment after I was strangely intrigued by the Sunset Wheat. I actually liked that. This on the other hand is a total waste of time.

1.68/5  rDev -44.4%

Appearance: Yellow. About all I can say.
Smell: Expected honey or other scent of a typical wheat beer, but got nothing.
Taste: Slightly sweet, with a hint of honey, like it was added as an afterthought. They brewed this an went "Oh yeah, we got to add the honey." Then just added it to the mix.
Mouthfeel: Slightly flat, with no aftertaste (thankfully).
Drinkability: Not a wheat beer. Won't have this again.

Final Thoughts: Not what I expected. Definitely worse...but don't even get me started on the Berry Weiss.

1.7/5  rDev -43.7%

Appearance - Looks like a macro. Clear, light gold. Moderately tall, soapy head that doesn't stick around too long. Fizzy.

Smell - Quite light, even indistinct. Grainy with maybe a hint of a citrus smell.

Taste - Dry and malty. A little citrusy sourness at the end. Flavor seems very thin.

Mouthfeel - Like the flavor, the mouthfeel is quite thin. Stingingly carbonated.

Drinkability - Not real good, not something I'd keep around.

1.72/5  rDev -43%

Finally getting around to reviewing this stuff, have had it many times in years past. Found a Leinie's 12 pack sampler for $6.99 on closeout, probably the only way you could convince me to buy it. Clear gold in color, almost no head, just a couple bubbles. Smell is of nothing much, light malt and something adjuncty. Taste is unimpressive and boring. The little sweetness that the honey imparts doesn't make up for how poorly crafted this stuff is. Not a very good beer, aviod unless you get a deal like I did.

1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

Tastes like watered down lager. Each sip tastes worse than the last.

1.8/5  rDev -40.4%

It's a good thing they told me on the bottle that this was a honey weiss, otherwise I'd swear this is a pilsner. Picked this up on a trip to the midwest, hoping to soak in local color for a bit. Imagine my dissapointment. It comes out a perfectly clear golden color, smells a bit like a bottle of Miller, and tastes..

Not even really sure what to say about the taste. Starts off a bit sweet, which I'd like to think is due to some honey somewhere, even if it just tastes like sugar. Then it finishes sour. A mediocre, unhoppy sour.

You can do better than this. Feel free to avoid it.

1.8/5  rDev -40.4%

pours a crystal clear straw yellow color with a short white head that quickly faded to the beer and no lace. weak smell of cooked veggies matchs the taste thats all i want to say about that. mouthfeel was watery and carbonation weak. drinkability zero.

1.8/5  rDev -40.4%

I poured this beer into a weizen glass thinking it was a wheat beer. Little did I know, it was Coors Light.

That's what it looked like at least; yellow, fizzy with almost no head... completely clear and exceedingly boring.

The smell was somewhat skunky; light, flavorless with almost no aroma. Bready and yeasty.

Taste was bland and almost unnatural. Absolutely no hint of sweetness from honey (as the name implies) and a very mild wheaty undertone which is more breadlike than that yeasty taste you expect from the style.

Surprisingly, Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is quite good; mostly because of it's fruitiness as derived from blueberries added. This beer really has nothing to offer, especially one advertised as a honey weiss.

Maybe your buddies who drink nothing other than Miller Light will enjoy this one.

1.81/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured a piss yellow with very little head and no lacing. Smelled of artificial honey, rice, corn, steamed veggies. Taste of lemon and grainy. Thin body. This was my first drain pour. I thought it would be a good beer on a hot day but after drinking the quality of beers that I have been drinking there was no way I was going to was my taste buds on this crap.

1.85/5  rDev -38.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler.

Appearance: Pale yellow, nearly straw in color. The beer pours with a very wimpy head which subsides to nothing in literally a matter of seconds.

Aroma: Cheap, generic ale-like aroma that is almost overpowered by a sickly-sweet, artificial, vaguely honey-like character. I think Bud might even smell better than this swill.

Taste: This tastes more like a lager than an ale. It bascially tastes like a honey lager. Very little wheat beer characteristics, if any, are noticed.

Overall: Wow! What a crappy beer. This is one of the worst micro/craft brews I've ever had. I had a stomach ache after just three of these. I will never buy this beer again, and I urge you to save yourself from the bad beer blues that this crap induces. This beer is subpar in every aspect - gross, to say the least.

1.89/5  rDev -37.4%

Pours pale, clear yellow. Decent head, good lacing. Carbonation apparent, not very good looking for a macro.

Smell is near non-existenet. After trying for a bit, all I can get is corn. Absolutely horrid. It can maybe be construed as a bit of corn, nothing else.

There's a bit of honey here, overpowered by the carbonation. I expected more malt, but got very little. This beer is very much mass-market oriented. The corn is readily apparent, the honey seems forced, the carbonation overpowers.

Carbonation affects the mouthfeel as always, and the drinkability is hampered. Not a good track record for Leinenkugel's thus far from me, after this winter pack I'll probably never try another brew from them.

1.89/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance - Very clear, light yellow. Head is quick to dissipate.
Smell - Like a Miller light with a sweet note...not impressive
Taste - Drinkable, summer cutting grass type...that you want to guzzle down. No honey aftertaste and you cannot taste any wheat.
Mouthfeel - carbonated.
Overall - would not buy again.

1.93/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass.

Look - Crystal clear golden orange color. Streams of visible carbonation. No head.

Smell - Dominantly honey with a bready bit of malt and the tiniest bit of grassy hops.

Taste - The most vile concoction I've ever tasted. Disgustingly sweet in a vomit sort of way. Like honey mixed with rot and fungus. Terrible in every way imaginable.

Feel - Overly carbonated, gives an unpleasant feel to the terrible taste.

Overall - The first beer I've ever poured down the drain. Avoid at all costs. Don't know why this exists.

1.94/5  rDev -35.8%

1.95/5  rDev -35.4%

I am not very big on this beer. Tried it several times, and its actually never been very bad, but its also never been good. The idea that they even include honey, or weiss, in the name of this one is beyond me, as it doesnt seem to include either. Just a plain, run of the mill, macro lager for all I'm concerned.

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company