Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor
good
Read the review
Leinenkugel's Honey WeissLeinenkugel's Honey Weiss

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
leinie.com

Style: Kristalweizen

Added by TastyTaste on 03-07-2002

Reviews: 466 | Ratings: 1,560
3.01/5  rDev +2%

Pours light pale yellow with foamy head...not a particularly attractive beer

Surprisingly attractive sweet spicey nose with nice wheat undertomes

Sweet and lite with a hint of sour. Not on overly discernable weis flavor

A little fizzy, but not a bad light refreshing beer.

3.18/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Serving: Cold bottle into glass

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow, with white, frothy head and surprising amounts of lace. I'm mildly surprised.

Smell: Definitely wheat, a fair amount of graininess, a bit of that 'clove' characteristic of weizen's but not overpowering. An interesting nose considering the source, but pretty light overall.

Taste: Pretty easygoing, however it is very grainy, and has a sulfuric aftertaste.

Feel: pretty light and crisp, though drying in the finish.

Overall: Not bad for Leinenkugel. This was one of my first beers and it's fun to go back to. I was surprised by the appearance and smell, but the taste did not quite deliver in my opinion. A good summer beer nonetheless.

4.38/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had a very fresh bottle I picked up in Wisconsin while visiting family. Really good, I thought this would be another beer that was too sweet, but it's almost perfect for what it is. Amazing on a hot summer's day, it's definitely not a "poor" beer.

2.35/5  rDev -20.3%

Made a recent family journey to Flint Michigan and our first stop was at a Rite-Aid for a candy bar. Lo and behold on the floor was a 12 pack on sale of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. My curiosity overtook me. I have never ever had a Leinenkugel product and was quite excited at the prospect. Now "Rite Aid" and "on sale" should have clued me in, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Poured to a very pale yellow almost like grapefruit juice, with liitle to no head to speak of. I'm no chemist, but honey+wheat do not equal skunky (normally). The merit of this beer is its longevity. Tasted exactly the same (maybe even better) when room temperature was achieved. Macro brewing personified. Lifeless and redundant.

2.98/5  rDev +1%

The appearance of this beer is a light golden color with little head. It had a faint hop smell, and a slightly sweet taste with a hint of a hop taste. There was a smooth mouthfeel, but overall it is not an impressive brew. Though when there is limited choice, or your low on cash not a bad brew to have by far.

4.59/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was actually a very good beer in my opinion. The aromas of honey when you open the bottle were very noticeable. The taste of this was also very good and will continue to drink this beer when I am able to do so. This is very popular in my area as well.

3.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Clear yellow with a one-finger head. Died fast but has a good amount of lacing.

S: Grainy malts and wheat. A tiny hint of honey.

T: Very wheaty with a tiny bit of sweet honey.

M: Decent amount of carbonation with a clean finish. A medium body thanks to the trace amount of honey flavor which seems to thicken the beer by a small amount. A little watery nonetheless.

O: Easy to drink, clean finish, one of the more fuller-bodied Kristalweizen's but was still a little too watery. Overall a good beer with common flaws, so compared to others, one of the better ones.

Overall, not a bad beer, but I expected more of a honey profile in the beer. There's a bit of honey in the nose but It's barely perceptible in the beer itself. Overall the beer is good, but the wife and I just didn't pick up much of it's namesake in the profile. It's very drinkable, but I'd rather have a sunset wheat if I had a choice.

2.6/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Aside from the head, it looks like a lager with a clear yellow-gold body. Head has some staying power.

S - Honey, lemon and skunk. Pleasant and weird at the same time.

T - I don't know how to describe this. Very weird. I'm getting some light lemon peel with sweetness and maltiness. The finish is strange. Toothpaste?

M - Pretty watery.

O - Pales in comparison to the Sunset Wheat. If I wasn't a cheap ass in need of a buzz I would've probably set it aside.

3.15/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into 7 oz. glass.

Light golden color. Perfectly clear, which I don't like to see in wheats. Head disappeared quickly. Lacing weak, non-existent.

Honey smell faint, but decent.

Taste of honey much less obvious than other honey beers. Good balance of malt and hops. Medium carbonation.

Mouthfeel is like carbonated water, except for the malt.

Could easily do a session, but wouldn't necessarily want to.

4.73/5  rDev +60.3%

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss is a wheat beer made by Leinenkugel's Brewing Company in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. It's availabe mainly throughout the midwest US. It is one of my favorite three or four beers.

It's a fairly typical wheat beer, with a touch of a honey taste, however the honey taste isn't at all overpowering. The closest beer I can compare it with is Dundee's Honey Brown. It's typically served with a lemon slice, which I actually prefer not to have. It's remarkably refreshing during the summer, and smoothly satisfying even in the coldest of winter.

This is what I call a "gateway beer". So many people in the US are die hard Bud Light or Miller Light or <insert crappy mass produced American lager name here> fans, this is the beer I typically give these people to get them exposed to a different style of beer. This is the beer that woke me up to a whole new beer culture, and I am grateful for it.

Leinenkugel's also has a wide variety of other beers in their lineup, and most of them are good as well. In my opinion, Leinenkugel's has the best batch of variety beers (Sam Adams being a close second). To the people in Leinie country, I say thank you, and keep on brewing. To the people who have never tried a Leinie's, I say what are you waiting for? Drink up!

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

This clear golden beer poured a small inch and a half size white head that left some lacing.

The smell whats a mixture of sweet bread like with a lemon like smell

It didn't have a very strong flavor to it but i could taste some hint of malt and hops...but not any honey like taste as the name infers.

I felt that it was a medium carbinated beer that reminded me of a light beer.

It is def. a easy to drink beer that is a good change of pace from your typical american beer and when you need a break from the great german variety that I get to enjoy, however, I enjoy some of the other leinenkugel

3.34/5  rDev +13.2%

Smell-Very honey like. Some hops.

Looks-Straw like yellow. Not that great.

Taste-Lots of honey up front. The after taste isn't that great. The after taste, taste like a Bud Light or something like that.

Overall it's not that bad of a beer. Much better than Bud Light or a big mainstreem beer..but not far off from them. Give it a try.

2.88/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden yellow with a one-inch white, foamy head that settles quickly, but leaves a fair amount of thin lacing behind.

Amora is slightly sweet, mostly faint honey and malt.

The taste is about what the amora indicated: slightly sweet from faint malts and honey. Theres also a very faint fruity element in there as well, maybe banana?

Overall, a very light bodied but highly drinkable beer. Carbonation reminds me very much of a macro, but it does have a nice clean, crisp finish. Nothing really good or bad about this beer.

3.07/5  rDev +4.1%

The more opportunities I've had to pour myself a glass of HoneyWeiss, the more I've liked it. The first time, was not a great experience, but some family had given me a 12 pack. Slowly but surely over the next couple of weeks, I found myself enjoying the subtle tastes of a good wheat beer beneath the initially sweet honey.

Like many of Leinenkugel's flavors, this is a great stepping stone brew. From here, I am excited to try some of the Mead beers that are out there.

2.32/5  rDev -21.4%

i don't have much experiance with wheat beers, but this definately is not like the others i've had. pours very pale just like a mass produced lager with no head at all. there was no cloudiness as i've seen in other wheat beers. very slight honey flavor, but not too noticeable. save your money and just buy bud or miller, this really isn't any better and i don't thionk you're realy getting a wheat beer.

2.53/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a pilsener. A very light straw color with really no head.

There is really not much of a smell to it, maybe a hint of honey?

Mouth? I'm drinking one as I write this, is thin with a little too much carbonation.

As far as taste goes, I've had a few kristall's and this isn't even close. there is no "sourness"? that should be in a weiss, even a kristall weiss.

All in all, I don't think I will buy this beer again, it just doesn't have much going for it other than you could drink a lot of this in one sitting.

2.16/5  rDev -26.8%

Weird!

So I've seen and heard about this beer quite often. I finally tried it and I really wanted to like it. However, this was just a deplorable attempt by Leinenkugal. The appearance is ok with not much of a head and no real lacing but the color may lead you to believe the are some layers of flavor in the glass. The scent is an overwhelming aroma of corn and every other type of cheap filler you can think. Call the smell rancid, skunky or just flat out cheap...it wasn't pleasant. The taste is so disappointing. I can't say it's too horrible as you can drink it...if your Nicholas Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" and need a "fix" but the corn and grassiness hits you right of the bat and you then quickly get some nasty honey flavor. In my opinion there is balance here and it's all bad! The mouth-feel reminds me of tap beer from rusty pipes in a dive bar. Avoid this one! It's too bad , some of Leinenkugal's stuff isn't bad, but they crashed and burned on this one.

4.1/5  rDev +39%

One of my faves once you get past the German, Austrian, and Mexican lagers. As with many beers, this one is a bit better on draft - just a bit fresher tasting.

A: Always a nice golden yellow, fairly clear. It pours with a foamy head, which quickly dissipates, leaving behind some lacing.

S: Not overpowering. Just solidly beery, with a hint of sweetness, and something giving it a freshness.

T: Good. The honey comes through without being overpowering. Just a tinge of bitterness, but because of the presence of the honey, it is very well balanced. Serves well with a squeezed lemon. Taste remains palatable even after a couple pours.

M: This beer fizzes as you drink it, nice carbonation. It feels very clean, and doesn't seem to leave behind any unwanted residual flavors.

D: Pretty good, again. There is a certain fullness to this beer, but it isn't heavy by any means. I think it is just the carbonation. It is definitely a refreshing beer, and one of the better beers in this aspect, in my opinion.

3.66/5  rDev +24.1%

Is this really a wheat beer? Don't think so. When poured in the glass this brew virtually had no head. Taste like a macro style pilsner. It goes down good, and taste great ice cold on a hot Kansas summer day, however, I don't think this will be a brew that visits the ol fridgo very often.

i was excited to see this for sale in philadelphia in a variety pack since i can only get the sunset wheat in new york . well the honey weisse was a big disappointment i mean big . there was nothing to this beer i think id even drink a rolling rock over this im just wondering if i got some bad ones because the red lager and sunset wheats in the pack were very nice . p.s the other beer in the pack was the creamy dark not that good either

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

Just cracked one of these on a great spring day...can't get much better for the bargain. Sure there's better beers but this one hits great price point and is a quality brew. Great notes of Honey...go figure. Just enough sweetness in it to get you through a warm spring/summer day. I'd take this over the Shandy any day....the shandy is too sweet and fills you up so fast. This is a great session beer.

1.89/5  rDev -35.9%

Appearance - Very clear, light yellow. Head is quick to dissipate.
Smell - Like a Miller light with a sweet note...not impressive
Taste - Drinkable, summer cutting grass type...that you want to guzzle down. No honey aftertaste and you cannot taste any wheat.
Mouthfeel - carbonated.
Overall - would not buy again.

3.03/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a yellowish urine color.

S- Very minimal smell of honey. However, it does smell sweet.

T- Lighter than other Leinenkugel's beers, and with this one I can taste the alcohol. Definitely lacking something.

M- Tastes actually like a light beer

Not a favorite of mine, bought it in a winter variety 12 pack.

2.81/5  rDev -4.7%

Very good looking amber beer Slight head to it very low carbonation The smell of it was very malty The taste of the beer was very bitter which is why I didn't really care for it to me it wasn't very drinkable I probably won't have it again any time soon

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company