Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by stirgy on 03-25-2002

Ratings: 1,339 |  Reviews: 381

4.75/5  rDev +62.1%

4.67/5  rDev +59.4%

Berry Weiss is one of the better fruit beers available in my opinion. Until very recently it was only available in the summer months, but due to customer feedback, Leinenkugel is going to offer it year round now. I have had it in 12oz bottles and on tap. In a glass it has a pinkish color and you can really smell the berry flavors. Unlike most berry flavored beers, this one is on the sweeter side and not tart at all. It has a nice amount of carbonation, but very little head retention. Perfect for a hot afternoon to cool down, and equally suitable as a palate cleansing beer after drinking some high hopped or heavier styles.

4.64/5  rDev +58.4%

I'm a girl and what can I say, I like fruity drinks from time to time. But I also enjoy an ice cold beer as well. This brew offers me a little bit of both. The smooth berry brew has come to be one of my personal favorites and I would recommend you give this a try if you're looking for little something that the typical hops and barley combo doesn't offer.

4.56/5  rDev +55.6%

This was an enjoyable beer. It tasted kind of dry, rather like champagne with the flavoring of berries and just a hint of carbonation. It lacked an after taste and had very little hoppy flavor. This was a very good beer from Leinenkugel and I will be very happy to buy it again.

4.47/5  rDev +52.6%

In my opinion this beer is great on a warm summer night or anytime during the summer. I work part-time at a beer distributor and have recommended this beer to customers and it seems to sell ok when we have it in stock. my friends also seem to enjoy it too.

4.47/5  rDev +52.6%

One of my favorite pseudo-craft beers. It's 207 calories will scare some away, but this is a damn refreshing and delicious beer. Strong notes of wild berries with a bit of a wheat aftertaste.

Great in bottles, even better in a frosty can or mug. Love it.

4.45/5  rDev +51.9%

VERY impressive fruit beer.

I can say for certain this the best fruit beer I've had to date. It looks like a slightly dark wheat with strong head. The fruit aroma is pleasant, not overbearing at all. The taste is fantastic! It's a natural flavor that is welcomed uniformly on the pallet and goes down super smooth. I'm definitely getting more of this stuff. Great job Chippewa Falls!

4.44/5  rDev +51.5%

This is a very refreshing beer with a high drinkability. It is low in bitterness and high in sweetness. I love really bitter IPA:s but you can not judge this beer from that kind of perspective. This beer has got very low ratings on this site and I think it is unfair. There is definately room for this type of beer among the many different types you can try but try this with an open mind. I suspect that this beer has got low ratings on this site by people who are not really used to different types of beers. It is very different but has such a great and refreshing taste that I rank it high for it's originality.

4.43/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +50.2%

4.37/5  rDev +49.1%

Eye: Ok, so this is a first. The beer is pink! Its got fairly good head retention(at about 1/2 a finger) with some splotchy lacing...the head is an off white pinkish tinted color. Clear for a wheat beer, really you could say it looks like raspberry tea of lemonade, but just a tad clearer. Definitely looks good for the girly drink that it is. A bit more head would give it something more I think. Looks more like a wine cooler than a beer though. If you're in the mindset of wine cooler it looks great but in the mindset of beer it isn't all that appetizing to the eye, just too bright for what the general idea of beer is.

Nose: This beer is extremely potent. It has aromas of chiefly raspberries and strawberries. There is an overall soda sweet aroma in this brew. It also has a somewhat sour aroma-similiar to that of a framboise lambic. Not much of a wheat aroma here, but I believe that the nose of this beer is exactly what the brewmaster was going for. If you're going to make a fruit beer, well then go all the way and make it smell fruity.

Tongue: Well you can't flaw the brewer on this brew. It is most likely one of the best fruit beer's I've ever had. There is a full flavor profile of berries in this beer. Right up front the easily identifiable and right in your face berry flavor-again chiefly raspberry and strawberry-is followed by a nice wheat flavor which nicely balances out the "girlieness" of this beer. In my opinion this is the best fruit beer, even moreso the best wheat fruit beer, that I've ever drank. If one is going to make a fruit beer than make the fruit noticeable as is done here. I like the boldness of this beer. This beer captures the best of the wine cooler world-full fruit flavor and the best of the wheat beer world-the wheat flavor. It is a real nice blend of wine cooler and wheat beer-flavor wise.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: In the mouth this beer is spritzy, just like a wine cooler. Light and a highly carbonated body are perfect for this style of beer. Feels just right in the mouth. This beer is something that one has to be in the mood for. I think it would be very very refreshing on a hot summer day, it is something that I'll probably buy again, it might be a while, but I can assure you that sometime during the summer I'll be buying this beer again. If you are a fan of fruit beer that this is a must try. I won't be afraid to admit it. I like fruit beer, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company