Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 373 | Ratings: 1,307
2.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured a hazy, slightly pinkish yellow with a thick, pink head. Rather strong berry aroma--smelled like a wine cooler. Very sweet and lambic-like, almost like cough syrup. Yet at the same time it wasn't unpleasant. The underlying beer was not weiss-like at all in my opinion. Aftertaste was a bit nasty, which made the drinkability less than average.

Different, but too medicinal for my taste.

2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Visiting in Chicago the other day, we were in a bit of a rush heading to party so just stopping by the local grocer I grabbed a 6 pack and for whatever reason my buddy grabbed this.

At the party, I figured I had to at least give it a try. I really was shocked at how sweet it was. The flavors really didn't seem all that natural. I was able to stomach one, but that's about it.

3.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours out an orangish pink haze with quite a pink head, which rests to a small pillowing bubbles.

Smell. Very potent with the berries. Label says blackberry juice...i guess i get that. It is hard to tell, the berry aroma is very fresh, so it has that sweet and tartness to it. I also get a lot of strawberry due to this.

Taste. I was not expecting such a strong flavor of the berries, but it was quite there, puckered my jaw muscles. It is a very sweet beer, after a few sips of getting used to it, i can tell it is a wheat beer (I guess from lack of bitterness), but is still dominant of berries- tastes syrupy like juice from concentrate. With the strawberries i get from the aroma, i also get a good amount of rasberry. Aftertaste has a little bit of the tartness. Absolutely no bitterness in this beer.

Mouthfeel. body is at a happy medium for the style. Carbonation is appropriate.

Overall, i can see many people giving 5 for drinkability, and many giving a 1. I think they did a good job making what they wanted to make, a very fruity and sweet tasting beer that a large population would enjoy. With that being said, as a beer, it is lacking good qualities a beer should have (i.e. a malt flavor or hoppy flavor). So it is hard to give it an extreme on either side. It is as if they intended on making a drink similar to a smirnoff or wine cooler with beer ingredients, and did it. Personally, i think i can buy this again when wanting a beer that doesnt taste like a typical beer (malty). It is different, and a change up, which i need from time to time.

Edit: After having a few more, this beer began to drop on the drinkability scale...just so concentrated and fruity. It really reminds me of if one of the big boys decided to try and make a fruit lambic for the masses.

2.35/5  rDev -19.5%

We recently bought a keg of this because it was extremely cheap, decided to try it as getting Leinenkugel beer out here is quite rare.

A: This stuff looked like berry lemonade when being poured out of the keg. The head wasn't too bad, a nice bright white that lasted surprisingly well.

S: The smell was of well...berries and not much else. As my one friend said, it smells like cereal and beer.

T: My initial reaction to this was that it was very very sweet. Almost like drinking a "Hard" Lemonade. There is actually very little in this beer that made me think beer, the aftertaste was somewhat malty though to bring me back to the fact that indeed it was a beer.

M: All i can say for the mouth is that it is sugary, almost to the point of hurting one's teeth. The carbonation though was exactly what I like in a beer.

D: Overall this beer is quite easy to drink, and drink a fair amount of it, I wouldn't recommend more than one or two as the sugar really can catch up quickly.

I wasn't dissappointed with the beer, but I did figure it would be a little less fruity and sugary. As far as getting a keg to drink before a football game, it was not a wise decision.

3.62/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a color that was attractive and reminiscent of pink grapefruit juice or pink lemonade only a little darker. Upon opening of the bottle, your nose is overwhelmed by the smell of berries. The aroma to me was very much like wine. The taste was also of berries, a balanced convergence of sweet and tart flavors. The mouthfeel was very pleasant and nicely carbonated. I thought this was very refreshing. I could not session it, but its a nice refresher.

3.61/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy pink lemonade color with a forthy head that shows great retention and lacing

Smell: A big whiff of raspberry/blackberry

Taste: Opens with a sweet/tart berry flavor, with the sweeter elements winning the battle both before and after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and effervescent

Drinkability: Not a bad fruit beer but just not my type of fruit beer

With the recent win of a GABF gold medal I thought I would give the can someone left in my cooler at a pig roast a try.

A - Pours a pink grapefruit juice color with good deal of carbonation and a thin white head.

S - Sweet strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.

T - All sweet berries with strawberry, raspberry and blackberry. There is a slight dryness that makes the berries taste like an extract. Not much beer taste in the background.

M - Light and well carbonated that creates a fizzy mouthfeel.

D - I could see how someone that doesn't like craft beer could easily enjoy this. Tastes a lot like a wine cooler.

1.9/5  rDev -34.9%

Too much berry flavor for me. This is definitly a chick beer, which is okay, but I still think even most of the wine cooler babes would rather have those than switch to a beer like this. It tastes a lot like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, not much like beer, and way too sweet. It has a slick, syrupy feel, too sugary. Its not for me, thats for sure.

4.35/5  rDev +49%

This beer is probably underrated because it's a leine's. However, I really liked it. A lot of fruit beers are pussy on putting fruit in. Sometimes malts come out and then there is a hint of fruit. If you make a fruit beer, make the fruit come out. I like it. This beer had great beery flavor. There wasn't a whole lot going on with it. It was simple and to the point. It's a good tasting beer and I'm not surprised that it got Gold at the GABF.

Again I reviewed this using my cell phone for notes. Sorry I can't give more detailed reviews for the past few beers and this one.

2.78/5  rDev -4.8%

a: deep pink color with about a inch worth of head that dissapears rather fast leaving a ring of lacing around the edge of the glass
s: strong rasberry aroma, followed by a nearly as strong floral aroma, hints of wheat and sugar.
t: raspbeerry soda, slight hints of hop bitterness and wheat
m: light bodied beer with average amount of carbonation in big bubbles

overall, this was a very sweet beer but that is to be expected i suppose

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a bottle with a decent head and absolutely no lacing. After a minute or two the head completely disappears and all you see is the reddish-pink hue beer. I didn't see any carbonation happening at all either.

The smell was of berries and some sugar and I could already tell it was going to be very sweet.

The taste was exactly how I thought it would. As I drank I could sense a little tartness which left no aftertaste. It kind of overpowered my taste buds with carbonation. It was almost like I was drinking a wine cooler.

This was an ok beer. I'm not going to walk into a beer store or bar searching this one out, but if I happen to walk across it and the mood strikes...well then, I just might drink it again.

3.07/5  rDev +5.1%

This tasted very little like beer. More like raspberry flavored pop or mineral water. The fruit was just too strong for my liking. It tasted very sugary and very berry. I couldn't taste much typical beer flavors in it at all. Drinkability is therefore pretty low on this. Not my thing really. I much prefer Leinie's Sunset Wheat, where fruit flavors compliment beer flavors, instead of completely dominating them.

2.24/5  rDev -23.3%

Looks like grapefruit juice with a surprisingly sturdy finger of head perched on top.

Actually smells like a combination of tart raspberry and sweet blackberry. Not really "beer-y", but alluring just the same.

No, sorry. It doesn't taste bad but it doesn't resemble any sort of beer that I'm familiar with. Tastes like fruit soda poured into a weak wheat beer. Sloppy at best with a semi-offensive adjunct aftertaste.

Fizzy and thin, this is not something I have even the slightest urge to revisit. If I want soda, I'll buy soda. If I want a fruit beer, I'll buy a fruit beer. This doesn't really work as either. The thing is, I actually like fruit beers and another Wisconsin brewery (New Glarus) offers two such beers that are also quite sweet but are far superior. The difference is that those beers combine fruit and grain in a seamless way whereas this tastes like a mixer. Never a good sign when the brewers recommend you pour their beer over ice (the website used to suggest this).

3.49/5  rDev +19.5%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce bottle at approximately 43º. The beer poured with a nice head which dissipated in a couple of minutes and several small bubbles which went away quickly. Coloring was clear and light amber. There was no cloudiness as would be expected for a weiss beer.

Fruit which I would say was berry was very noticeable on the poor. This was verified with the inhalation of the aromas after the beer sat for a while. I was unable to detect much else do to the fruity aroma.

The taste was fruity and sweet and surprisingly pleasant. I had tasted this a few years ago on tap and though satisfied with its taste and sweetness I remember it as being syrupy. This was not bad but a little too much for my taste. The bottle this time did not exhibit those tendencies.

The taste keeps lingering and you constantly assess. Aftertaste hangs in there with the fruit starting and staying for a lengthy period of time.

This was better than I remembered from my previous tastes. I would not sit and drink this through a session because of the sweetness but would drink occasionally and mix with other Leinenkugel products as they suggest. I am surprised at my review rating.

3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

Heard about this one from a guy I work with. His beer tastes are pretty close to mine, so I figured I would give it a shot.

A: Whoa. Doesn't even look like beer. Pours a deep pink, almost grapefruit juice color with a tall, yet very light head that leaves a good lingering lace.

S: Not exactly like a regular wheat brew, with an obvious floral/berry smell. Nothing offensive.

T: Very, very strong raspberry flavoring with the slightest hints of hops in the background. Almost tastes like a juice with a little alcohol added to it.

M: Very thin, with an energy drink feel, but without the sticky sweetness. Extremely slick.

D: I feel like a few of these could be downed in a short setting because of it's soda-like tendencies, not that that's a bad thing, because the taste in and of it's self is pretty good.

3.42/5  rDev +17.1%

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss Bier pours an orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a pleasant berry aroma. There is a strong berry flavor and a pleasant wheat finish. A bit on the sweet side, but not bad for an American fruit flavored wheat beer.

2.17/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz bottle poured into nonic pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Pours a soda like purple mixed with brown, the head is a half inch of pure whiteness which is an odd contrast with the purple liquid, no lacing.

S: Soda like berry scent mixed with ceral grains here and there, all fakeness which is not so nice, just does not look or smell like a beer.

T/MF: Soda like mouthfeel with lots of little bubbles all over the tongue, light bodied and crisp and finishs pretty clean, soda like stickyness is mostly what lingers. Tastes of soda flavord berry sugary flavors with a hint of malt and ceral breadiness near the finish.

D. Sort of boring but I could see how this would be refreshing after a long hot day outside. Not a beer for beer lovers.

2.98/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a clear orangish-pink color with a light-pinkish head that dissipates rather quickly. no lacings here.

smells mainly of blackberries, with some raspberries and as well. there is little to no hops or malts to speak of in the aroma. just very sweet and fruity. upon warming a bit, a touch of malt shows through, but still faint.

taste is very sweet and full of berries up front, with a slight malt character thrown in, and a bit of wheat malt as well. finishes with a bit of hop dryness, but still very sweet on the palate. overall, this is a fake tasting and very sweet brew. More hops or adding earlier in the boil would give this one a bit more balance.

aftertaste is sweet and fruity.

mouthfeel is light-bodied, true to a wheat beer, and rather smooth, but the sweet and fruit are too strong to take this beer seriously.

drinkability is good for any drinker with a sweet tooth (myself not included). this brew will definitely give the drinker an energy boost, and a borderline sugar high with a couple bottles consumed.

2.89/5  rDev -1%

Picked up a bottle of this at Capone's. The color of the beer when I poured it into a pilsner glass was a deep red/amber color. It smelle overwhelmingly of berries and the taste was even more intense. I thought I was drinking a wine cooler. Little to no beer resemblence at all. This was a very bubbly heffe and and a very sweet mouthfeel.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get another but I would drink one after mowing the grass.

Berry Weiss gets across the board "ok" marks from me. I like a lot of fruity/vegetable style beers, and this one, while a bit artificial, still is decent.

Strange, off red/pink colour, modest head. Smell is sweet with some berry background.

The flavour is very sweet, sugary, with a somewhat artificial but not altogether unappealing berry flavour over the top. Not nearly as good as a real fruit lambic, but one shouldn't go to the Grand Ole Opry looking for an indie show either. It's not bad or particularly great.

Mouth and drinkability both about average. I think this stuff is easy to drink in small quantities, but a bit abrasive beyond a pint.

2.39/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours out a weird mix of orange and a hint of red. Body is hazed over. Head is a pink-tinted off-white and leaves some lacing. Smells like Cisco, blackberry jam, cherry Jello, and fruit roll-ups. Wheat comes out more in the taste, but not by much. Still overly sweet with all of the artificial characteristics found in the aroma. I taste a good deal of Cisco in this one. Mouthfeel is somewhat fulsome by the residual sugars and has a lively carbonation. This is too sweet and too Cisco-y for me. They should call this Cisco Swerve.

3.09/5  rDev +5.8%

A: The only color I can think of when I see this beer in my glass is of grapefruit (the meat of the fruit, not the peel). Small snow white head, dissipates quickly.
S: Lots of berry aroma.
T: Hmm, is this really a beer? Tastes more like a spritzer. Very sweet, honey and berries very prominent.
M: Have that lingering aftertaste of sweetness, but again not horrible.
D: Quite drinkable, actually. I probably won't go out of my way to buy an other one, but I am glad I finally tried this beer. I'd definitely choose this one over the Fruit Loop infused Sunset Wheat from the same brewery.

2.19/5  rDev -25%

I tried this beer on a whim. It looked average, smelled great (the berries, obviously), but I can't get on board with the taste. If I was faced with a choice between this and something like Smirnoff Ice, I'd go with this, but that's probably the only time.

2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer, served in a 12 oz mug, is a rather hazy light-reddish-amber color with a very small, fading head. Nose is sweetly berry-ish, but not too cloying nor does it smell like certain childrens' cereals (as do many berry beers). Unfortunately, bleagh, the flavor is overwhelmingly sweet and cloyingly berry-laden. I can't find any detectable beer or weizen character. One-dimensional at best.

Hmmm, not sure this is actual "beer". I've had a lot of other fruity wheat's before that have a lot more going for them in the beer department.

This pours a damn near pink, and is super carbonated giving you a very light pink, good size head. Gets to a ring pretty fast, a little lacing here and there. Beer smells very fruity, can't really get anything else smell-wise other than the dark berries that are super evident. The taste is basically the same as the smell. Not necessarily a bad taste, but the beer part of it just doesn't ever come through. VERY fruity, VERY sweet, VERY carbonated. This probably wouldn't be bad with a salad or some chicken during the summer time, but it's not what you're going for if you're looking to sit down with a "beer". Like someone said before, if your girlfriend hates beer, she'll probably like this.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company