Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 374 | Ratings: 1,318
1.26/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I remember drinking this in college, thinking it would be an upgrade to the cheap crap I was drinking at the time. Boy, was I wrong. If you like the taste of Fruity Pebbles, this is the beer for you. Otherwise, I would steer clear of this one from Leiney's, as they have many other better options.

2.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Berry Weiss. I already don't like the sound of that, but who am I to turn down a free beer? Pours a weird, off-shade of copper with a strange reddish hue to it, almost pink, but not quite there. The head grows big and foamy, but it's about as wispy as they come as it's gone within a minute, no lacing gets left behind.

The aroma is a splash of berries and sweetness; raspberry, blackberry, and some other kind of berries I'm sure (not really getting much strawberry, though). It's pretty artificial and "fake" smelling, like the aroma you'd expect from a candle or some kind of wall plug-in air freshener. But actually even a bit worse than those, since this has a somewhat chalky and medicinal character to it. Like crushed vitamins or something.

The flavor doesn't stray too far from the aroma - it's an awkward concoction of artificial berry juice, residual sweetness, and remnants of beer. Almost more akin to a wine cooler or a flavored malt liquor beverage, if it weren't for the wheat and yeast coated that gets left on the palate in the aftertaste. The strange chalkiness from the nose comes back to haunt the flavor a bit, too. Pretty sweet overall - not necessarily cloying, but it's not a desirable sweetness, either. Body is thin with a crisp mouth feel from the heavy dose of carbonation.

Yeah, this really isn't my thing. Glad that I tried it just so I know to steer absolutely clear of it next time. It's like a poor man's version of The Soft Parade by Shorts. I'll pass on this one next time.

2.67/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Acquired as part of the Leinenkugel's Summer Sampler pack. Expectations are fairly low for this one, since I haven't been a big fan of some of the other shandy / wine cooler type beers put out by Leinenkugel's, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a light bloody ruby color reminiscent of what grape juice concentrate with a little bit of alcohol mixed in would look like. Quarter inch of fizzing purple-pink suds disappears within seconds.

S - Smells of artificial "berry" flavor and grape juice concentrate. Seriously, this is like some Welch's grape juice with a tad bit of vodka or gin mixed in there. Smells like a medicinal lollipop that you give kids for a sore throat. Artificial grapes.

T - Carbonated, medicinal, artificial grape juice with a slight bit of sour funk to it. Not bad tasting or horrifying, but I'm not totally convinced that this is actually a beer. More along the lines of a berry version of Mike's Hard Lemonade. Also, this doesn't taste like actual berries at all. It tastes like the berry juice blend you buy and then later learn is mostly made of apple juice and grape juice. Doesn't taste as bad as the Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy did though.

M - Fruity, sugary, carbonated. Lightly bodied. Not much else to say.

Overall, a beer for the hot summer beach days. Beer? Is this a beer? I'm not so certain. It's more akin to an artificially flavored wine cooler, in my opinion. Highly drinkable 4.70% abv, I can definitely see a market for this, and I would drink it again, but this isn't real beer.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss ---2.5/5

3.54/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Medium foam which clung to the glass but cleared

smell was very fruity but pleasant

taste was consistent with the aroma. A bit setter than I prefer and stayed around.

The feel was smooth but foamy.

A nice beer from a good brewer.

1.91/5  rDev -34.6%

My sister turned 21, and being the naive little girl she is, she's going through this "I'm buying alcohol" phase. Hence, my excuse to drink this malt beverage.

Appearance: Pink malt beverage. Little head that fades quickly.

Smell: Overpoweringly sweet. Alcoholic fruit soda.

Taste: Mildly alcoholic, thick Juicy-Juice. Way too sweet. I knew it would be.

Mouthfeel: Feels like beer, but it really isn't. This review is over.

Overall: I didn't enjoy this. Got to hit every style though, I suppose... it was there, so why not? If you're a beer fan, you won't like it most likely.

2.57/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: A light reddish pink with a decent head that quickly dies down. Very little lacing.

Smell: A strong mixture of fruity berries. A first smell I already know that this beer is not going to be for me.

Taste: Extremely tart. Way too sweet for my liking. When I initially purchased this beer I expected a slight berry taste with a least some beer taste to it. But that is not the case with this beer, it tastes like a berry soda. Isn't terrible for hot days but that's the best review I can give it. After each drink I cringe at the tartness. Could not drink more than one bottle in a day. I'll give the rest of the six pack to my girlfriend and hope it doesn't go to waste.

Mouthfeel: Feel is medium body but not due to any normal ingredients you expect in a beer but medium because of the amount of sugar they pour into this beer.

Overall: The first drink or two is ok but even after that tasting I can already feel myself growing distant from the beer. I've heard of people mixing this beer half and half with other beers and I can understand why. It's simply overwhelming, if Leinenkugels could cut the taste in half I would be much more satisfied.

3.07/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Medium orange with dissipating head, no noticable lacing.

Smell: Sweet berries

Taste: Sweet berry flavor similar to wine cooler or berry flavored soft drink

Mouthfeel: Light texture with medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer is not very complex, but will work on a really hot day or for people who don't really like beer.

3.5/5  rDev +19.9%

A - dark reddish amber with a loose, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - blackberries

T - tart, blackberries, juice-like but not as sugary or sweet

M - light bodied, well carbonated, crisp at times

This is a mediocre, simple fruit beer. If you like blackberries and a light bodied beer then this is a decent offering. If you're looking for something complex or full bodied, look elsewhere.

3.22/5  rDev +10.3%

12oz can best by sep2012/

Look is a cloudy berry-red with a brown hue to it. Rough pour yielded an eerie light pink head that just looked wrong. Smell is raspberries, strawberries, and wheat. Taste is inoffensive, almost nonexistent wheat, tart berries with a cloying sweetness, with a dirty feeling finish. +1 feel for drinkability.

Definitely not my style of 'beer', but Leiny's knows it's fruit beers. It is what it says: a light wheat beer with tons of berries from the "northwoods of Wisconsin". A step above a wine cooler, I guess.

3.6/5  rDev +23.3%

A really nice light fruity beer. Nothing too bad but also nothing absolutely fantastic. I picked up a six for those times when I just wanted something light and this definitely fits the bill. I didn't pour it out, so no comment on the head or the over all colour. The taste had just enough 'beer' to it to let me know it was a beer and not a wine cooler. Honestly, I think this is a beer that a lot of people (who normally wouldn't like) could come to enjoy. Will I get another six... sure, now that my girlfriend likes it and she's busting into some of my other exotic craft beers. :)

3.79/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a dark pink with a finger and a half worth of head. Interesting, to say the least. It smells exactly like a strawberry milkshake and is very appealing to anybody, even my girlfriend who typically doesn't enjoy any type of beer. The taste is of cherry 7up and that's about it. Not bad, But not really that great. While leaving it in the mouth, No additional flavors come through, it only feels like sparkling wine upon your tongue. Once again, interesting. Overall, This was a good " beer " however not something that I could drink a lot of.

4.03/5  rDev +38%

This is a summer beer that doesn't taste like regular beers. It's for hot days when in Europe a lot of people start switching to pink wine, this is the beer equivalent.

In the Netherlands I would drink Hoegaarden Rosée, this comes close in quality and level of refreshment.

In europe aften called a girl beer, lots of guys drink it too. Refreshing beer, that is anything but a traditional beer. For that, yes, it's way too sweet.

1.23/5  rDev -57.9%

This is without a doubt one of the worst beers I have ever tried, It is not even worthy of a pour into any of my glassware lest the super sweet artificial flavors may forever taint my glassware, i would rather drink any other beer before this atrocity, The only way i was able to finish half the bottle(wich was left at my house after a cookout) was to pretend it was a wine cooler, wich it's taste more resembles....do not buy, do not drink for free

2.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Pinkish rapidly dissipating head on a reddish orange hazy body.

S: raspberry, cherry and strawberry.

T: very sweet with nearly every berry flavor in one beer. No other flavors really.

M: light body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: Alcoholic fruit juice, period. Mikes hard fruit juice basically.

1.71/5  rDev -41.4%

Transparent and bubbly watermelon red. Thick head on the pour with a soda-like consistency. Brief head life and minimal lacing.

Smell is fruity with intense blackberry notes and almost gives me a headache.

Flavor is way too sweet. Some honey character and a massive berry flavor and tartness with candied sweetness. Just the slightest hint of barley malt. No hops or bitterness can be detected. Tastes like a berry soda.

Feel is dense, sticky and syrupy from all the sugars. This is honestly like drinking blackberry nectar if such a thing exists. Its only saving grace is the carbonation.

This stuff is absolute garbage! Each sip I took to write this review was painful and I can't wait til I'm done to pour this down the drain. What these brewers have to realize is that with fruity beers, less is more; its all about the balance. If you want to try a good example of this style, pick up some Founders cerise.

4.47/5  rDev +53.1%

One of my favorite pseudo-craft beers. It's 207 calories will scare some away, but this is a damn refreshing and delicious beer. Strong notes of wild berries with a bit of a wheat aftertaste.

Great in bottles, even better in a frosty can or mug. Love it.

2.94/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a rather funky color. Pinkish/White head and an amber colored body. Not a bad looking beer but im nervous, sort of.

S- Can you say Strawberry Soda? Not much else to say but hints of berries, strawberries and some other fruity stuff.

T- Well the pour should have gave it away. Wild berry's and purple grapes. Reminds me of cranberry juice with some alcoholic kick to it.

M- Once again, soda like. Medium carbonation and a dry finish. Not much there after the liquid is in the stomach.

O- Half way through this beer I almost forgot it was an actual beer. If you like juice drinks then this is for you. I might consider buying this for my girlfriend who is into Mikes Hard Lemonade and all that other fruity stuff. Not a bad beer, it just depends on what you like.

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a hazy pink color with a medium off-white colored head. Smells like a berry flavored apple juice. Taste begins with some slightly sour apple flavor that is quite sweet, followed by some blackberries. There is a hint of malt and yeast flavor to know you are drinking a beer. The oversweet flavor becomes more and more cloying with each sip.

Mouthfeel is average. Overall too sweet, and the fruity flavor makes it taste more like a wine cooler than beer. Not horrible to drink, but not very beer like either.

3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

Pretty amazing pink tinted hue going on, head was white with addition of berry juice and flavors it's pretty much a light cotton candy pink frothing thick head. Aroma has tart vinous berries, with an upfront acidic quality with raspberry/strawberry juice notes. Flavor is a mix of juicy fruit, tart berries, earthy citrus flavor it's actually well blended...I thought I would have hated it but it's actually like a decent alcopop at least flavorwise. Great tasting by beverage definition they're onto something here, this will sell. Mouthfeel effervescent carbonation is sturdy, I actually enjoyed the beer it's filled with flavor and berry notes. Lighter bodied in beer standards slightly dry acidity, nothing like a Belgian fruit ale, but damn good drinking fruit beer that I generally despise even when made by microbrewers. Overall, I'm not into these types of beer, but I like this one go ahead try it, you may actually enjoy it.

2.92/5  rDev 0%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

The pour was a light reddish orange with a huge (3-4 finger) light pink fluffy head that was mostly lasting and had good spotty lacing.

The aroma was all about the berries with a light bread malt and a sweet yeast with notes of dark berries, candi-sugar and a definite Kool-Aid scent.

The taste was extremely sweet and a bit malty with a large dose of berries throughout and had a Cherry Kool-Aid finish. The flavor lasted only a short duration being of a candy sweet berry flavored soft drink.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a fizzy carbonation.

Overall although very sweet it was a rather refreshing and tasty brew, but basically it dose not resemble any type of brew I have had so far...

I poured this beer into a glassit has no head and the body is a blush color body. The smell is fruity and berry. The taste is berry, sweet, and fruity, not a normal beer taste. The mouthfeel is, it is almost like arbor mist. Overall this is a ok beer.

12 ounce bottle, there's a date of SEP 26 11 printed on it, but I have no idea if that's the bottled on or best by date. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a pinkish/amber color with a half inch light pink head. The head goes away quickly, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells like berry fruit juice/drinks and grain. For the most part it tastes like it smells, it tastes like a mix of fruit juice, grainy malt and berry flavored carbonated water. The flavor isn't quite as artificial tasting as I was expecting, so that's a plus. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's a little bit syrupy and is well carbonated. As far as fruit beers go, I'd have to say this is average all around. I've had better and I've had worse. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of this, but if someone gave me a bottle (a friend did give me this one) I wouldn't turn it down, either.

2.11/5  rDev -27.7%

Had this at a friends house, it was the only one left and it was offered to me so i said what the hell.

Did not pour this into a glass the bottle was so cold almost frosty. this beer isn't my usual type to drink so i'm gonna start off by saying i wasn't a big fan of it. It was very fruity (berry) and grainy, so carbonated i could also sense it in the smell.

the taste was everything you'd think, like a carbonated kool-aid mix, definetly not what a ber should ever taste like! in a way i enjoyed the carbonation, it's basicly the ONLY thing i did enjoy. Everyone has they're own taste in beer, but this wasn't mine.

2.91/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz single given to me in a mix of beers and poured into my Sam Adams glass. It poured a somewhat hazy, pink amberish color with a large and fizzy head to it. Nice head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows a lot of fruit extract flavors to it. I get some sweeter blackberry and cherry notes to it. I don't get much else coming out from behind the fruit extract flavors.

The taste has a sweet, fruit juice profile to it. I get cherry, blackberry and raspberry to it, but it's more of an extract fruitiness to it rather then fresh fruit. A lot of the sugary fruit sweetness is there as well making it almost Kool-Aid like.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was easy drinking, light and would probably be nice on a real hot day. Unfortunately though I just didn't think it was a very good beer. It was very sweet and sugary like a fruit punch and the fruity flavors felt very extracty to me. Would be a good beer to give to non-beer lovers though so I'm sure it has it's place and fans.

3.15/5  rDev +7.9%

a very interesting brew. pours a fruity purplish pinkish infused hazy gold color with a small bubbly head. smells like preserved fruit, sugary jams, and wheat. taste is better than i thought itd be, sweet like white sugar, like a spoonful of smuckers jelly, with a pleasant yeasty finish. this is not my favorite style of beer, but it is good for what it is. mouthfeel is thin and quenching, summery, drinkable. more than a couple of these might rot your teeth though.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company