Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 378 | Ratings: 1,324
2.8/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very colorful label that was eyecatching.

Appearance - Poured a orangish-pink with a 1 finger pink-white foam head that dissipates quickly. Not much lacing left behind at all.

Smell - Smells of light wheat and very sweet berry. Not much malts or hops aroma.

Taste - Tastes sweet with berry flavor very very prevalent.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability - Smooth and tasty.

This offering was much too sweet for my liking. It reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer. I would not want to try it again.

3.35/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Orange-pink color. Two-finger head with a slight pink tint.
S: Sweet berries, a hint of malt.
T: Fairly sweet, but good. Mixed berries, again some malt. No hops present.
M: Smooth, a bit thin. Nothing special nor bad.
O: Nothing about this is remotely complex, and reminds me more of a malt cooler than a beer. That being said, it is darn tasty and I could probably knock back a six-pack without thinking twice.

3.15/5  rDev +7.9%

Man did I over do it with this stuff at Summer Fest in 1990-something. It was the year it was released so it was pretty trendy. I guess we all have those stories to tell, so blah.... blah... blah... I picked up a sampler recently so I'm giving this a go.

Poured out of a 12oz can into my Ale Asylum pint glass.

A) It's a hazy pinkish color. I gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but there was still very little head.

S) I expected more when I stuck my nose into this brew. Initially there was just light fruity notes. I will say that as the beer warmed the fruity and floral fragrance was more predominant.

T) It reminded me a bit of cough syrup. You know, the kind you don't mind taking, but it's also not doing a damn thing for you.

M) I have no complaints here.

O) I'm not opposed to fruit beers. This just wouldn't be my first choice. I mean, give me a good framboise or a kriek any day of the week.

2.76/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours pink with half an inch of white foam and soda-like carbonation. Looks an awful lot like some kind of Fanta.

S - Also smells like soda. Smells like mixed berries, possibly sugar-sweetened. This isn't necessarily a bad sign, though (although it seems a bit overdone) - it could just go with the style.

T - Can't really figure out where it's going. Fruit taste is forward, but not very strong. Then it goes pretty quickly to a little bit of hops and astringency, sliding into some standard-issue weak wheat-beer flavor in the aftertaste. New Glarus Belgian Red it ain't.

M - Surprisingly long finish for a beer that basically drinks like a soda. Thin and fizzy at first, it seems to get more substantial with time. Again, I wish it could figure out which one it was supposed to be.

Overall, not a great exemplar of the style. Be a fruit beer, or be a weizen. Can't do both.

3.85/5  rDev +31.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a pinkish red with a head quickly dissipating into a slight sweet foam.

Smells very sweet and of red berries. Borderline soda experience.

Tastes like candy with a boozy kick but is not malty or artificial tasting... Pretty "real" yet rather sweet.

Mouthfeel is thin. Starts sweet and ends sweet.

Overall this is an enjoyable experience if you know what you're getting. I'm a crazy hophead with a sweet tooth too so this is a nice wat to mix things up, especially in the warmer months.

4.64/5  rDev +58.9%

I'm a girl and what can I say, I like fruity drinks from time to time. But I also enjoy an ice cold beer as well. This brew offers me a little bit of both. The smooth berry brew has come to be one of my personal favorites and I would recommend you give this a try if you're looking for little something that the typical hops and barley combo doesn't offer.

3.27/5  rDev +12%

The first time I had this I thought it was really good. That was of course only having half a bottle because I split it with a friend. The task of having a whole bottle really gets too sweet.

This beer pours out as a slightly hazy purplish pink color with a white head that doesn't last very long. The smell is of sweet berries and some wheat in the back. The taste is basically a wine cooler. Very sweet berries up front that fades into a light wheat aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth and not highly carbonated. It's ok if you like really sweet stuff. I'll drink it if it's around for free but that about all.

3.47/5  rDev +18.8%

Big ups to BeerWolf77 for being a man of his word and hunting down some Wisco beers in a CAN that I had had on my Wants for a while. CAN the man get some love from a brother? I CAN always use some more CANs for this nonsense. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "Beer brewed with honey and flavored with blackberry juice and other natural flavors"; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel family for five generations"; "Brewed with select malted wheat and flavored with a blend of berries from the Northwoods of Wisconsin. A berry good beer!" Ha! They made a funny with that last bit. Wait, I'm supposed to be the joker/ punster/funny man around here. This is a union shop, you boys, and you should leave the funny stuff to us professionals since we take it seriously.

Direct from the Leinie Lodge to my glass, the Crack & Glug produced two fingers of cotton candy, I mean cotton candy-like pink head with good retention. For you jaspers that wonder why it is so important to decant from CAN to a glass, the visuals on this one would be your answer. Pink beer! Like pink lemonade, including a slight haze. I am cuing up the theme to "Pink Panther", "F**kin' Perfect" by Pink, and "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd as musical accompaniment. The head disappeared fairly quickly, allowing me to get my nose deep into the pink. It smelled like ... wait for it ... raspberries! What did you think I was going to type? That scent came from the equally pink, but horribly nasty Bud Light Chelada. Shame on you! I was transported back to my paternal grandmother's backyard garden, where she had red raspberry bushes in abundance and as kids, we would raid those bushes like there was no tomorrow. Mouthfeel was soda pop fizzy and the natural flavors of blackberries and raspberries were prevalent on the tongue. It reminded me of those wine coolers of the early 1980's in terms of its tart sweetness and the fizziness. I hate to say it, but this was more of a beer for the G/F who might not dig some of the other beers in the cooler. Finish was very berry-like and it was not unpleasant, but one would probably be enough for this hophead.

4.56/5  rDev +56.2%

This was an enjoyable beer. It tasted kind of dry, rather like champagne with the flavoring of berries and just a hint of carbonation. It lacked an after taste and had very little hoppy flavor. This was a very good beer from Leinenkugel and I will be very happy to buy it again.

4.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Appearance- pour a redish/pink color with very thick white head that has long retention, very low to any carbonation to be seen, nice unusual appearance

Smell- wheat notes dominated by blackberry and blueberry like smell on nose,very fruity nose

Taste- okay the taste on this one is pretty good better even then i think the nose, and better then i was expecting, has a lot sweetness up front but a very nice tart finish really keeping things in a nice check, i really like the sweet and sour aspect of this beer, its a very enjoyable flavor profile to me and i think alot people non beer too would like that flavor, reminds me of some different lambic kind of fruit beers i have had often at much higher prices,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied and rather creamy and pretty smooth feel

Drinkabillity- overall i found this beer to beer very drinkable and enjoyable, not sure if something i could pound all night but certainly a rather unique and tasty beer offering, i think this beer would be very well like by alot of my friends that are even non beer drinkers which can be nice to have around for when they would be around, overall wound up finding myself pleasantly surprised by this one,

3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

This 12 ounce can of Berry Weiss came from a Summer Sampler 12-Pack. I initially thought that was a cool idea, but the other three brews in the sampler (Summer Shandy, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat) were all bombs. Here’s one final shot at redemption. "Best" by July 4, 2011. I cracked the can open and poured into a weizen glass.

A careful pour yields three fingers of head. Oh God; it’s pink. That goes for the head and the beer. Head retention is moderate to poor, though a lot of lacing does stick to the glass. A little bit of carbonation can be seen rising lazily. It is somewhat akin to pink champagne in appearance with an added pinch of haze.

The aroma boasts very literally of blackberries. I’m instantly taken back to my freshman year of college when I would buy Clearly Canadian Blackberry Sparkling Water from the cafeteria with my meal card. So I’m getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this; then it hits me. This is beer. Suddenly I’m not so sure what to think. At least this is being sold as a fruit beer, unlike Sunset Wheat which was labeled as a witbier but tasted like Froot Loops. So fruit beer it is, though I should note that I’m not smelling anything resembling beer.

Okay, so I have mixed feelings about the taste as well. First off, it’s delicious. The initial flavor is a virtual clone of the Clearly Canadian that I so loved and didn’t even know that I missed (do they even make that stuff anymore). This is highly carbonated and extremely sweet, with an underlying bitterness that is more reminiscent of cranberries than of hops. Only upon the finish do I notice a malt profile. There is definitely a nice wheat beer hidden under all of that artifice. Wheat flavor becomes the holding pattern into the aftertaste, reminding me that I am in fact drinking beer. But should I have to be reminded that I’m drinking beer?

Berry Weiss is light bodied, but on the heftier end of light. Alcohol is completely hidden. As stated before, there is a ton of carbonation, which would be really off-putting if not for the saccharine-like sweetness. This is a tough beer to review, because it doesn’t play by the rules, even for a fruit beer. I can’t really give it a thumbs up as beer, but this is super delicious and very thirst quenching. It’s only 4.8% alcohol by volume, but if I had a full 12-pack of these I’d be hammered.

So I think that this was my favorite “beer” in the Leinenkugel Summer Sampler Pack. While the other three brews only dabbled in ridiculousness, this beer is totally off the deep end. It might be the worst beer I’ve ever bought, but that won’t keep it out of my fridge for the foreseeable future.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
When I want beer, I do not give a Schlitz for Leinenkugel Berry Weiss. But when I want a light sparkling beverage, then I do give a Schlitz for Leinenkugel Berry Weiss.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I hadn't had this in a while, but I still laughed when the girl who sold me it said it tasted JUST like grape juice. So I popped the top...and it smells just like red grape juice. Did Welch's make this??

The taste isn't too much of a surprise. Pretty dang sweet...definitely on par with any wine cooler. Definitely a grape presence with raspberries also in there...maybe blackberries as well. In the finish, the wheat does appear in the back along with a good tart twang from the berries that tempers it from being too overwhelmingly sweet on the finish.

It isn't a complicated beer. If you're grabbing this one, you need to be prepared for perhaps the sweetest beer you've had in quite some time. I'll admit I did enjoy it as a change. Not every beer needs to be hyper bitter...this is a decent change-up.

3.54/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured chilled in wine glass (all that was avail.)

A: beautiful lavender-pink, with little head
S: very lovely berry smell, but as if kool aid
T: yep, it's kool aid; and sometimes you need a beer that tastes like kool aid, so I didn't dock points; it's very sweet, in the style of a lambic, infused with blackberry and other berry flavors
M: very foamy

Once again, don't try it if you're not planning on enjoying a very sweet beer.

I bought a 12pk Summer Sampler cans from Woodman's in Janesville, WI in spring 2011.

Poours a reddish amber color with a thin head on it. Great cranberry scent that reminds me very much of Ocean Spray. Very strong cranberry taste as well. Drinks rather smooth and has a great taste. I can understand why many BA's rate this beer rather low as it doesn't taste anything like a beer and more like a cranberry malternative. No real beer taste here but I enjoyed it. Something great to try this summer!

2.11/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Hazy red hued color with a 2 finger head which retained well. The color was a pinkish color.

S: Strong berry smell.

T: Wow. Way too sweet. Sour on the finish. Where is the beer? Tastes like soda.

M: Light body.

O: Did not care for. Just way too much berry...off-putting.

3.4/5  rDev +16.4%

I enjoyed a few of these at a spring training game in Tempe, AZ. The beer was surprisingly decent for a fruity beer. The beer obviously had an aroma of sweetened berries, a purplish color wih no head, a sweet finish and surprisingly good taste. No carbonation like I thought there would be, and no aftertaste. Overall a decent beer If you get a chance to try it, you will be surprised.

2.06/5  rDev -29.5%

reviewed from notes, this one was poured into a pint glass and given to me by my in laws.

i knew i was in trouble when this candy like color starts to fill the glass, with a fizzy white top that seams to pop up and fall down immediatly. ehh. but then i took a whiff, fake berries, and just light kool aid like aroma. not even close to a good fruit beer. way too light and the flavors and aromas are so blatently artificial it was downright scary. light berrys and hints of sweet malts try and poke up but they are just remnants of what would make a good beer.

overall no. some of these i can get by with and make a pass, but this was just way off the mark. too light, too fruity, just a mess.

2.95/5  rDev +1%

From notes: Poured an orangish pinkish hue with white bubbly moderate head, and a light haze. Aromas are artificial berry, sugary and sweet with crystal light and fruit punch shining through largely. Initial is the same, light carbonation, and a sweet berry punch like feel. It really feel a lot of raspberry crystal light. Not very beer like, but this could have been much worse. A little sweet and cloying, clearly. But not awful.

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Hazy rose color. About an inch of pinkish white head that disappears quickly.

S: Sweet berries smell.

T: Blackberries, honey. The sweet taste and blackberries are very dominant. Not much else comes out.

M: Light and easy drinking.

D: Sweet and light but comes across more like a wine cooler than a beer.

2.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Ruby red highlights, very slightly hazy and with a pinkish white foam crown. Color's pretty good, deep and dynamic coloring. Head is, well, pink. Pretty decent looking Wisconsin fruit beer. Smells pretty fruity; berries, obviously, rasp and blue varieties. Some softer wheat tones, with a twist on citrus rind. Very sweet and candy-like, but not exactly immature. Taste is very sweet, however, overpoweringly so. Lots of anonymous berry flavors loaded with sweet syrup. Big shot of streaky cereal adjuncts up the middle with a lasting clean aluminum flavor. Deeper inspection reveals some very pale malts used here, along with a faint touch of the honey mentioned on the label.

Way too sweet and one-sided. Hardly a beer, honestly. Drinkability is tough with this kiddie beer.

3.65/5  rDev +25%

Sounded interesting in the store. Waited for a hot day for with this beer it seemed fitting. Yikes, wine cooler. Effervescent pour, clear gold with little or no head. Smelled of berries but not fresh, artificial. Tasted very crisp and refreshing, but to much and very much like a wine cooler. It was tart and fruity and really was not bad. Drinkable? Yes, no doubt. Wait for a sultry summer day.

3.89/5  rDev +33.2%

Pours out a reddish color with a thin pinkish white head. Carbonation is moderate, little retention and little lacing.
The smell is blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, honey and wheat.
This has a strong berry taste followed by some honey,wheat and a little bit of hops. Also has a berry flavored syrup taste that reminds me of fruit flavored pop, but the alcohol reminds me of some wines.
The mouthfeel is a sweet sticky feel on the lips and tongue.
I'd say this is a nice drinkable beer and worth checking out for those that like fruit flavored beer.

2.28/5  rDev -21.9%

A: pinkish, purple body, big 2 finger head, and very little lacing.

S: raspberry, logan berry, perhaps blueberry. sugary sweet.

T: powerful sweet berries similar to the scent.

M: syrupy, big carbonation, feels a like a wine cooler or berry cola.

D: Can't handle more than one due to the sweetness. After visiting Leine's Chippewa Falls Brewery, I asked the tour guide, "do people actually buy Berry Weiss?" He responded, "it's a huge hit with the ladies."

2.03/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours pinkish/orange with small white head. Aroma of berrys, grapes, blueberry. Taste of blueberry , grapes, very fruity and sweet. Palate is light body, very bubbly carbonation. Reminds me of a wine cooler. Finish is very sweet. Did not like this beer.

2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a moderate caramelish color with maybe a hint of red. The nose is bright berries and a lot of sweetness. Cloying to start. The taste really gets in there with the sweetness and berry. Almost like beer juice. The feel is just too much with a lot of sugar. Way too much to drink more than a few ounces of; don't know how I did this in college.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company