Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by stirgy on 03-25-2002

Ratings: 1,338 |  Reviews: 380
2.27/5  rDev -22.5%

2.28/5  rDev -22.2%

A- Pours a purple color small head that goes to a thin layer of bubbles leaving no lacing.

S- Very sweet. Berries imagine that and that's about it.

T- Again berries all over the place. That's all I could taste very sweet. More like a wine cooler than a beer.

M- Seems really light and watery.

D- Well, I'm still not a fan of these fruit beers. I'll keep trying them and maybe find one that I like. I'll pass on this way too sweet and fruity for me.

2.28/5  rDev -22.2%

A: pinkish, purple body, big 2 finger head, and very little lacing.

S: raspberry, logan berry, perhaps blueberry. sugary sweet.

T: powerful sweet berries similar to the scent.

M: syrupy, big carbonation, feels a like a wine cooler or berry cola.

D: Can't handle more than one due to the sweetness. After visiting Leine's Chippewa Falls Brewery, I asked the tour guide, "do people actually buy Berry Weiss?" He responded, "it's a huge hit with the ladies."

2.29/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Poured out pink. Yes, pink! It also had an orangish hue. It really looked like Kool-Aid.

S - It smelled like berry. Just berry.

T - It tasted like berries only. There was NO beer taste at all. It was very sweet.

M - It was fairly crisp and light-bodied.

D - This was hard to drink. Too sweet and no real beer characteristics. I usually enjoy the style, but this one didn't do it for me.

2.29/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.3/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.31/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.31/5  rDev -21.2%

This beer pours a pinkish rose color. It has an off color pink head that gives way to lacing. The smell is of fruit and not much else. The taste is straight fruit. It is like drinking fruity peebles with alcohol. The mouthfeel is dry. Overall the drinkability is low, it is a little much however, my girlfriend who doesn't like beer thought it was great.

2.31/5  rDev -21.2%

12 oz bottle acquired from Whole Foods in ATL at my girlfriend's request. Figured I would give it a shot. Poured into a pint.

A: Poured a strange, enchanting color. Has yellow and pink hues. Got a huge, bubbly pink head. Actually created some sticky lacing that was a bit of a shock. Not bad looking.

S: Uh, smells like sugar, berries, over ripe fruits, and candy.

T: Candied berries, very sweet with heavy sugar. Not tasting much of anything else

M: Very thing but still coats the mouth. Probably the sugar. Has a lot of carbonation.

D: Girlfriend loves it, not a fan myself. Way to sweet and too many artifical flavor masking any trace of beer. Blah.

12oz. bottle poured into a Leinie's weiss glass

It pours a orange pink color with a frothy 2 finger head in the slightest pink shade that lingers a surprising amount of time. The beer has just a touch of haziness to it. A very minimal amount of lacing

The nose is upfront and fairly sweet with the berries. Unlike other well done fruit beers where the smell of fresh fruit is overpowering this one lends itself to a seemingly artificial extract raspberry smell without much backbone to it.

The first thing that hits my tongue is an overwhelming amount of sweetness. Those raspberry extract flavors then through with the expected flavors that come with using flavoring. The sweetness and the raspberry completely over powers any beer type taste. While swishing the beer in my mouth I could detect just the slightest flavor and mouthfeel of wheat. Besides that it's a very one dimensional sweet tasting fruit beer and not a very good example

The mouth feel is pretty clean, crisp and dry. I understand that all of Leinie's regular offerings are produced as lagers this shows. Hardly any body to the beer at all. The carbonation level is on the higher side which to me help wash away all the sweetness. Drinkability is pretty low because of the sweetness. Out of the many times I've had this beer I always find the last half of the pint almost unbearable in the how sugary it tastes.

2.32/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Light purple brown color.
Aroma: Sweet berry smell, like a wine cooler.
Flavor: Malty, very sweet berry taste; non-hoppy. Light bodied.
Overall: Malty like a beer, sweet like a wine cooler. No real redeeming quality to this 'beer', other than the fact its not absolutely terrible. It just kinda sucks!!

2.32/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.33/5  rDev -20.5%

My brother gave me a single of this. I don't know why. I won't be thanking him.

Pours a burnt orange color, slightly hazed with a pretty full but fizzy off-white, slightly pinkish head. Actually keeps a pretty good head.

Smell is sweet and fruity, lots of berry aromas. I can tolerate most any smell so long as it's not offensive. This is fruity but it's not offensive.

I said I could tolerate any smell as long as it's not offensive, but not so with the taste. This is ridiculously sweet and fruity. Lots of berry flavor, like drinking a malt liquor or something. It's not really a bad flavor, but not something I seek out in beer, or anywhere else actually. My brother described it as fruity pebbles in beer. I'll go with that.

Mouthfeel is light, but not thin, with adequate carbonation.

I won't touch this again. This might work on my wife, but I don't need another.

2.33/5  rDev -20.5%

This is not usually a beer I would try, but when it comes in a sampler pack, what choice do you have? It would be a sin to waste beer. This viewpoint directly conflicts with my long held belief of “Don’t fruit the beer, at least not at the brewery.”

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a chilled Frankenberry cereal bowl. Very little head retention, almost like a soda.
An interesting amber/pink color. Nothing wrong with that, I’m a fan of interesting… to a point.

That point has been crossed. The light, crisp aromas and flavors typical in a weissbier have been steamrolled by the stronger presence of fruity sweetness. This is definitely too sweet for my taste, and the slight bitterness of the hops doesn’t provide a balance. Rather, it imbues a medicinal tinge to the flavor that cannot be overlooked-- flashbacks of Robitussin and kennel cough.

I’ve been known to squeeze a little lime in my Corona or Tecate. Once or twice I have even garnished a hefeweizen with a lemon slice, but that’s about where it ends. I like tuna, I like martinis, but I wouldn’t mix up a batch of tunatinis. I guess I’m just a fan of beer flavored beer.

2.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Color is a reddish/orange with some pretty good carbonation, and a foamy white head with a bit of a reddish tinge to it. Aroma is very sweet, smelling of, you guessed it, berries. No big surprise there.

Tastes of berries again, seems to focus on raspberries here, and very, very sweet. Tastes more like a malternative than a beer to me. Much to sweet for my taste. Feel is crisp, but a bit too carbonated, again, feeling like a malternative instead of a beer.

For the malternative crowd, this is probably good. I've got a buddy who is hopelessly addicted to sweet ciders, as well, and he loves this stuff. I personally don't care for the sweeter beers, and this definitelly falls into that category.

2.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: Pours out a clearish, pinkish-orangey body with a thinnish, white head.

Smell: Fruity Pebbles on the nose.

Taste: Sugary sweet berry blend, baby! A dash of Snapple, Kool-Aid, a packet of artificial sweetener, and booze. No hops or bitterness. You'll find more IBU's in the angry glare I'm giving this thing.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This one just isn't for me. Has more in common with those malternative beverages and, if that's your bag, then maybe you'll be damn pleased to pound down a Berry Weiss.

2.34/5  rDev -20.1%

2.35/5  rDev -19.8%

Aroma: very sugary sweet, like candy, with sweet fruit aromas such as blackberry and Concord grape. There is a mild malt note in the background.

Appearance: frothy, finger-width white head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam. Some light, spotty lacing. Rosé colored hazy body.

Taste: initially there's sugary sweetness. Then, there's a strong mixed berry flavor that continues into the aftertaste. Towards the end of the taste, a hop twang kicks in, which becomes quite unpleasant insofar as it blends with the sugary, artificial berry flavor and the beer's texture to create a cough syrup taste experience (the hops mimicking the alcohol bitterness of cough syrup). In the background, there is a mild bread flavor from the malt.

Mouthfeel: light side of medium. Moderately carbonated.

Finish: mostly wet, somewhat chewy, and savory like a tart or candy.

Overall, I think Leinenkugel's makes fine flavored beers, but this is not one of them. I dislike the cough-syrup feel and flavor of this beer. The flavor is, like cough syrup, artificially sweet and overall disingenuous. This is not one of Leinekugel's better achievements.

2.35/5  rDev -19.8%

We recently bought a keg of this because it was extremely cheap, decided to try it as getting Leinenkugel beer out here is quite rare.

A: This stuff looked like berry lemonade when being poured out of the keg. The head wasn't too bad, a nice bright white that lasted surprisingly well.

S: The smell was of well...berries and not much else. As my one friend said, it smells like cereal and beer.

T: My initial reaction to this was that it was very very sweet. Almost like drinking a "Hard" Lemonade. There is actually very little in this beer that made me think beer, the aftertaste was somewhat malty though to bring me back to the fact that indeed it was a beer.

M: All i can say for the mouth is that it is sugary, almost to the point of hurting one's teeth. The carbonation though was exactly what I like in a beer.

D: Overall this beer is quite easy to drink, and drink a fair amount of it, I wouldn't recommend more than one or two as the sugar really can catch up quickly.

I wasn't dissappointed with the beer, but I did figure it would be a little less fruity and sugary. As far as getting a keg to drink before a football game, it was not a wise decision.

2.36/5  rDev -19.5%

a-light purpulish color small head
s- smelled a prsescence of hops and berry traces
t-the berry taste was very strong with only a slight trace of hops
m and d- very sweet, felt like i was drinking a wine

I'll admit limited knowlege on fruit beer style. But, I feel this beer was just to sweet. I feel they could've done better evening out the berries and the hop and malt taste.

2.37/5  rDev -19.1%

I had a bottle of this in the fridge from a tailgate party and thought I would give it a go. It pours a muted pink hue. I'd swear it was raspberry lemonade if I didn't know better. The aroma is rather promising. It smells super fruity. Lots of berries with a bit of sourness. The flavour is not good. There's a hint of berry with a malt overtone that finishes with a corn like after taste. It's as if you made a shandy with miller lite and pink lemonade. Sorry Leinies, not my cup of tea. Thankfully the Wisconsin faithful will pick up my slack when it comes to drinking this stuff.

2.37/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours hazy copper color with a little pink in there. This beer smells like any other mixed berry product. Taste is pretty much that... a mixed berry flavor which is very sweet. This is so sweet and fruity I can only drink one of these at a time.

I won't say that's it's terrible because I'll finish the rest that I got. But I would not get this again.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company