Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by pezoids on 03-25-2002

Reviews: 373 | Ratings: 1,307
3.45/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is hardly a beer. I mean, it's tasty and it I like it, but it's really not what I would consider a *beer*.

It smells like Hawaiian Punch and it looks like Kool-Aide. And it tastes like fizzy Kool-Aide. Unlike the other girly drinks, malt beverages like Smirnoff Ice and Zima, Berry Weis alone can say that it's completely original. It doesn't taste like fizzy, oversweetened crap. It just tastes good, and completely unique.

I'm not going to say that every beer drinker is going to like Berry Weis, though I do think that every beer drinker should try it. It's truly in a class by itself.

1.84/5  rDev -37%

12 oz bottle with a date of May 23 11. Sadly I bought it yesterday at Spec's, thanks for selling beer past it's pull date guys. Pours a hazed, reddish-copper color with a lavender tinted head. Retention is average and lacing is good.

Nose is very berry-oriented with more of a sweet lean than tart. Blackberry is most identifiable fruit and the wheat gets lost in the fruit-dominated aroma. More like a soda or alcopop than beer.

Waaay sweeter than I expected...leaves a syrupy, fruity residue on the lips. Beery aspects of this beverage are almost completely lost to artificial-tasting sweet fruit juice. I have a soft spot for fruit beers, but this is difficult for me to finish. I dont know if a fresher sample would help, but I cant help but think the sweet, artificial berry flavor would still be overwhelming. As much as I hate the malt beverage cliche 'panty-dropper', that is what came to mind right off the bat for this atrocity.

2.89/5  rDev -1%

This one is a cloudy reddish-brown with an odd pinkish tint. A whitish head sits pretty thick for a little while at about two fingers and retains pretty well, leaving a little thin lacing around.
The aroma is...well, fruits. It's a bit artificial with a saccharine sweetness. A very light grains presence is barely detectable, but there's no malt or hops presence noted.
Fruits are all over the flavor as well, with a sugary sweetness and, again, lingering grains. Malts remain undetectable, though a light hops presence sits underneath.
The body is on the light side of medium and there's a crisp bite to it.
It's better than the mess I imagine a totally macro effort at a fruit beer would be, but average as it is.

2.71/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a cloudy pale red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes into sparse lacing. The aroma is fruit punch Hi-C. There is nothing remotely "beery" about it. The taste is much like the aroma, but not quite as sweet, yet still very sweet. The is also a lingering, annoying artificial flavoring aftertaste. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with lively carbonation. It is nice to see Leinie's not going overboard with the carbonation like they usually do. Overall, this is more wine cooler than beer. I enjoy fruit beer when they are made with actual fruit. They one clearly is made for a lot of artificial flavorings which make it come across as an extremely processed product. I'm not a huge fan of processed homogenized products.

2.7/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Cloudy pinkish in color. Looks like grapefruit juice. One finger head that quickly goes. No lacing.

S- Smells like a berry lemonade flavored Kool-Aid. Berry wine coolerish smell. Slight bit of alchohol.

T- Literally tastes like an ale mixed with berry lemonade Kool-Aid. Sweet berry flavor. Kind of tasty, but a little too wine coolerish for me.

M- Lighter bodied, fizzy carbonation. A bit flat.

D- One or two is about all I could do on a hot summer day. A little too artificial in the flavor department for me.

2.67/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a regular glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy pink color. The head is a finger high, and light pink in shade. It has a rough texture and poor retention. However, there is a bit of lacing left on the glass. (3.25)

Smell: Berries, berries, and more berries. Mostly blackberry and raspberry, with only faint hints of the base wheat beer coming through. I can't give it a great score due to its simplicity - but honestly, it smells decent. It doesn't really seem artificial or chemical, either. (3)

Taste: Flavor-wise, it's about 90% fruity drink, 10% beer. I do taste hints of honey, wheat, and faint butter on the back end, but this is practically blackberry juice. While it's WAY too sweet, it doesn't particularly strike me as being chemical. Still, it's very simplistic and not at all likely to appeal to hardcore craft drinkers. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Very sweet. The finish needs to be cleaned up by a magnitude of sixty, actually. Carbonation is strong enough to will it down slightly more easily, but it becomes tiring after a while. (2.5)

Overall: Not great in the least, but given I had that horrifying Honey Abomination Cask from Shock Top earlier, this looks downright miraculous in comparison. Still, it tastes like a glorified wine cooler. Won't be buying this again, that's for sure. (2.5)

2.64/5: If Arbor Mist brewed a beer...

3.22/5  rDev +10.3%

Color is orangy lightish yellow, trying to be red, but thinning, fluffy loose head thats light greyish pink, fades and fizzes away pretty fast, leaves soapy, drippy lace. Smell is light of strawberry and raspberry with a wheaty touch and sharp tint of clean floral hops noted underneath. Taste is a weaker version of any decent fruit beer, light, crisp, lightly flavored of raspberry and strawbeery I guess, its hard to determine cuz its a little much and unmixed, very juice like but watered down quite a bit. Feel is lightly creamy but watery and a thin finish. Its a fine summer drink, but more then one of these and it could get tiresome. Give me a good hefe instead.

2.6/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Started off well - poured a reddish purple w 1 finger of white foam. The smell was very beer - a sweetness/tartness comes through that is nicely aromatic.

Then it all falls apart. The taste is quite honestly just not very good. Fruity, bordering on a cough syrup overtone. The berry flavor imparts a medicinal taste with honey notes that make it almost sickly sweet and too tart.

This one was hard to finish. As for the remaining five beers, I'm not sure when, or if, those will get finished.

3.02/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a rather sickly pinkish-brown, hazy body topped with an inch of dense white foam that shows average retention and leaves little lace. This would get at least a 3.5 if it weren't for the unappetizing color.

S: Super-sweet mixed berry aroma is overwhelming, but not unpleasant. I actually caught a whiff of dark cherries up front that reminded me of a quad - something I never, ever expected to compare to this "beer." That moment of similarity was quickly supplanted, though, but the more superficially sweet berries that dominate this brew.

T: Sickeningly sweet, with blackberries, raspberries, and cherries completely controlling the flavor profile - no malt, no hops, nothing but fruit. A little sourness on the finish keeps it from being completely cloying, though.

M: Light-to-medium-bodies with ample, but understated, carbonation. No complaints here.

D: A bit overly sweet, but the slightly tart finish keeps the sweetness from precluding quaffability. I personally wouldn't want to drink more than one of these, but that's more a reflection on my own distaste for heavily fruited beers than a condemnation of this brew's actual drinkability.

Notes: I'll always remember Berry Weiss as the first full beer I ever drank - thanks, Eric's uncle, for hooking up some twelve year olds with girly beer. At the time I thought it was absolutely delicious, but my tastes have obviously matured just a bit since then. Now, I find it boringly artificial in its onslaught of overly sweet fruit - but I bet that preteens and non-beer drinkers the world over would still find it tasty and accessible. It does what it aims to do reasonably well - I just wish Leinie's would stop making beers like this for the lowest common denominator and come out with something for BAs genuinely to enjoy.

Cheers!

1.76/5  rDev -39.7%

ADR summed this one up perfect. A train wreck in a bottle. Berries all over the place with nothing to constrain them. No balance, no drinkability. As ADR said, the berry flavor that seems interesting on the first sip, quickly becomes obnoxious. I just say "yuck".
BW looks like beer, but that is about it. More like one of those Jack Daniels coolers that my girlfriend drinks on occasion. She even said this wasn't bad, which spells disaster for any beer (as she is a swore beer hater). She and I are able to find middle ground in our relationship, other than our drinking patterns, but this beer should be avoided by everyone.
And I am from Wis, so I should be biased. But as a local, let me tell you to stay the hell away from this.

2.67/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Acquired as part of the Leinenkugel's Summer Sampler pack. Expectations are fairly low for this one, since I haven't been a big fan of some of the other shandy / wine cooler type beers put out by Leinenkugel's, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a light bloody ruby color reminiscent of what grape juice concentrate with a little bit of alcohol mixed in would look like. Quarter inch of fizzing purple-pink suds disappears within seconds.

S - Smells of artificial "berry" flavor and grape juice concentrate. Seriously, this is like some Welch's grape juice with a tad bit of vodka or gin mixed in there. Smells like a medicinal lollipop that you give kids for a sore throat. Artificial grapes.

T - Carbonated, medicinal, artificial grape juice with a slight bit of sour funk to it. Not bad tasting or horrifying, but I'm not totally convinced that this is actually a beer. More along the lines of a berry version of Mike's Hard Lemonade. Also, this doesn't taste like actual berries at all. It tastes like the berry juice blend you buy and then later learn is mostly made of apple juice and grape juice. Doesn't taste as bad as the Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy did though.

M - Fruity, sugary, carbonated. Lightly bodied. Not much else to say.

Overall, a beer for the hot summer beach days. Beer? Is this a beer? I'm not so certain. It's more akin to an artificially flavored wine cooler, in my opinion. Highly drinkable 4.70% abv, I can definitely see a market for this, and I would drink it again, but this isn't real beer.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss ---2.5/5

2.45/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: It's a bit of a hazy pink color with a one finger foamy head. Head has a slight pink color to it as well. Decent retention and very light lacing. Interesting pink color though.

Smell: Mostly smells of fresh berries (blueberry, rasberry, and strawberry). That's the overwhelming aroma. Underleath lies some earthy, grainy smells and a decent malt presence.

Taste: It's interesting, I'll give it that. Big time blueberry and rasberry taste. It's very sweet. Too sweet for what I prefer in a beer. At the tail-end is a nice malty taste that somewhat redeems it, but not completely.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light bodied. Very sweet. I think the sweetness makes it hard to drink. I couldn't handle more than one. It's really not a bad drink. But, I'm not impressed with it as a beer. Overall, it's an interesting beer, but not a good one.

2.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Immediately overpowered by the aroma. It is very fruity. It has a purple, pink, brownish hue. It is definitely berry flavored. I am not a huge fan but I could see it going down pretty easily on a warm summer day. It almost tastes more like a wine cooler than a beer. It is too sweet for my liking. Probably a big hit with people who are not fans of the taste of beer.

1.38/5  rDev -52.7%

Simply ghastly. Poured a creepy pinkish color. The bottle noted blackberrys used in the brewing, but the aroma was more raspberry candy. Cloyingly sweet berry flavor. If there is beer beneath this onslaught of berry syrup, I can't find it. This is more like some malternative berry cooler than beer. I toughed it out through half the bottle, and decided life is to short to struggle on with finishing the beer.

1.93/5  rDev -33.9%

I had this beer with a meal in Mattoon, IL. Before ordering it, I asked the waitress if it had a strong fruit taste. She said it did not but she must have been winging it because this tasted like kool-aid. I couldn't drink it because it was soooo sweet with a powerful berry taste. I couldn't tell it was a wheat beer at all.

2.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Wow, liquid syrup in a bottle. When they say it’s brewed with honey, they mean it. Also, it is “flavored” with blackberry juice and other natural berry flavors” – don’t like that aspect of the brew. The sweet berry flavors were just to overpowering, dominating every taste.

The pour, rose red color, medium bodied texture were all fine – just not very drinkable with that soda pop berry flavor. Closer to a alco pop malt beverage than a brew.

4.1/5  rDev +40.4%

Poured a hazy red color with large white puffy head. Smell is sweetish with mild berry scents in the foreground. Taste shows some weiis beer characteristics with some pleasnt berry undertones present. Finishes nice and refreshing. While not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be a nice summer afternoon change-of-pace brew.

3.31/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance - pours a diluted pink grapefruit juice color. A huge rocky pink head nearly overflows the glass. Plenty of lace trails interconnecting around the glass.

Aroma - wine cooler fruitiness, like candy or Kool-Aid.

Taste - wine cooler taste. If you put this in a wine cooler bottle, folks may not know the difference. The fruitiness is not offensively sweet, but neither is Gatorade. Stable flavor throughout, the finish shows off nothing new.

Mouthfeel - a sweet slickness to this, which I expected. Carbonation is a bit to the lighter side, adding some softness to the feel.

Drinkability - all it takes is a little sweet tooth to enjoy the beer. It was easily dispatched but not something I'd buy on purpose.

3.22/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours out to a light amber with pink hues and orange accents, formins a modest lightly pink head with good retention and mild lacing. Aroma is noted across the room...tart and juicy blackberries in droves, faint suggestion of macro lager ferment, and a certain dryness. Quite nice. Carbonation is moderate. Mouthfeel is average throughout with a cloying medium body. Not as spritzy as I would expect for a "Weiss". Taste begins sweeter than expected with lots of blackberries...bitterness is quite mild, and hop aroma or flavor is absent. Did I mention this is sweet? This is probably the sweetest beer I've had (beyond the sweetness of a dopplebock, which has at least some semblance of hop balance)...it's very much like a candy flavored wine cooler. Drinkability is limited owing to it's sweetness. The fermentation has some macro twang to it, and there is no discernable "weiss" characteristics.

This "beer" of a wine-cooler actually started out nice enough, but I've quickly found that I wouldn't want more than one, it's so sickly sweet. Actually, this would probably go really well mixed 60/40 with a really good IPA or hearty stout, so as to offset the sweetness with some hop flavor and bitterness.

2.55/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer, served in a 12 oz mug, is a rather hazy light-reddish-amber color with a very small, fading head. Nose is sweetly berry-ish, but not too cloying nor does it smell like certain childrens' cereals (as do many berry beers). Unfortunately, bleagh, the flavor is overwhelmingly sweet and cloyingly berry-laden. I can't find any detectable beer or weizen character. One-dimensional at best.

3.37/5  rDev +15.4%

The color of red grapefruit juice. Smells and tastes like sweet berries. Nothing tart or sour about this offering. Almost soda-like but, on the other hand, exactly what it purports to be (and nothing more).

3.38/5  rDev +15.8%

Half-inch foamy head on top of a hazy red-tinged orange color. No lace. Ho-hum.

All kinds of berry in the nose--obviously blackberry, but I could be tricked into believing there was raspberry and strawberry here. Even currant. Quite nice actually, but the fact I can't pick anything else out--like malt, hops, yeast, for example--doesn't bode well.

Flavor is as expected--total berry incarnate. With frothed milk and sugar. It's actually okay, but I'm still bothered by the fact that none of the traditional traits of beer are detected. Even the biggest, most extreme beers show their beer-iness in some way. With this I'm getting blackberry-creamsicle soda. I happen to love blackberry and any kind of creamsicle resemblance, so Leinie's Berry Weiss escapes this beer geek's wrath.

Mouthfeel lends a great slab of creaminess over the spritzy, soda-like texture. Pretty tart, almost pucker-inducing. Really liked this feature of the beer.

I don't know...should I commit hari-kari for liking this? I certainly wouldn't ever gravitate toward this given even mildly better choices, but it's not near as bad as I'd expected. And still not the hellish Boo-Berry soda that Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is. My German-beer-expert better-half says it tastes just like the German style this is derived from, and she would know. Give it a whirl.

Appearance: Moderately hazy amber brown in color, with a small, coarse, off-white head, and scattered, broken lacing, and slight carbonation. There is some slight sediment visible at the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: Strong aroma of blackberries, lesser honey, alcohol, and minor notes of herbal hops.

Taste: Rather pronounced notes of blackberries, almost like a blackberry cordial. Midway through the taste, some honey notes appear. Interestingly, none of the classic characteristics of wheat malt, seem to be present. Finishes dry, with a lingering blackberry wine note. Very sweet throughout.

Mouth feel: Smooth and fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Pleasant and drinkable, although more like a wine cooler, than a beer. The blackberry notes overwhelm the distinctive character of wheat malt.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.06/5  rDev +4.8%

One selection from the Summer Beers 12 pack. Brown 12 oz bottle. Pours golden with a slightly pink color. Short white head, with some good retention and thin lace. Points for uniqueness. You can smell the berries and some yeast, strong but not overpowering. Taste is quite sweet, almost like a wine cooler. Lots of berry flavor, raspberry and blackberry. Sweet and slightly sticky mouthfeel, but there is still enough wheat element. A good fruity hot weather drink, but a bit too sweet for me to have more than one at a time.

2.15/5  rDev -26.4%

Single, twelve ounce bottle just copped from Total Wine and More in West Orange... Out of all of the Leinenkugel beers I've sampled, this was by far my least favorite... The berry flavor was way too intense and too strongly reminiscent of a blackberry or berry soda for me to actually consider this a drinkable beer...
Pours an off-color, reddish hue with a modest head...
Smell was replete with blackberries, wheat, and sugars...
Taste was way too sweet with too much sugar in the backbone and a cloying presence of berries that rendered this one basically undrinkable for me...
Not recommended... Literally tastes liked spiked soda...

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company