Big Eddy Imperial IPA | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

1.75/5  rDev -52.8%

2.08/5  rDev -43.9%

2.27/5  rDev -38.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2013 on the label.

A: Pours a hazy amber brown with a moderate off white head.

S: Bitter hop is the first thing I notice. As it warms a lot of cracker and bready character comes out. Dark fruits and booze.

T: Not really an IPA. A boat load of malt that makes it seem more like an old ale. Perhaps this is a bit old per the April-June release date on the website.

M: Full bodied with a somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol makes it a bit harsh on the tongue. Sticky finish.

Overall not one I'd recommend. No motivation to finish the bottle.

2.29/5  rDev -38.3%

I did a double take when I saw this. Best by 09 Nov 2012, 8.2% ABV. $2.99 single from the Village Pump.

A clear copper with a dense, cream-colored head with good retention and nice lacing, this looks pretty good! The darker than expected color warns me that this might be a bit of a malt bomb, and that's what I find. A big crystal malt nose with astringent caramel, moderately stale in some ways, is the most noticeable aspect. In fact, it covers up the hops to a big extent! I get some pine, some citrus, and a mild vegetal character.

The palate opens quite sweet with a blend of moderate hop bitterness and a crystal malt astringency. For a beer that was hopped 5 times, this tastes very disappointing. There's moderate pine flavor, grapefruit and some tropical fruit as well. However, the sweetness is way too high for my palate, and it overpowers (rather than complements) the moderate hop bitterness, and the hop flavor just isn't strong enough. Sweet, mildly astringent on the finish, this beer is medium in body, carbonated to a moderate level. While I do like the occasional sweeter DIPA, this is disappointing as it lacks balance of any sort. I feel like I'm being harsh with my scores here, but I cringe with every sip here.

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

I was highly disappointed in this brew. I have had nice experiences with most "Leiny's", but this one was pretty bad.

Appearance - Nice orange color, almost no head.
Smell- Strong, sweet aroma with hints of diacetyl
Taste - Blah. This seems closer to a barleywine than a DIPA. The malt overpowers all with little to no help from the hops
Mouthfeel - The only thing Big Eddy got right was this; slightly thicker, rich mouthfeel, leaving the expected DIPA coating on the tongue
Opinion - Maybe they just labeled this beer incorrectly? I may have had a completely different opinion had I expected a Strong Ale or Barleywine

Big Eddy Imperial IPA from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company