Big Eddy Imperial IPA | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerBelcher on 03-12-2007

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

12 ounce bottle - $3.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

"NOV1912" on the bottle neck. I assume I haven't a second to waste!

Appearance: Pours an amber body with noted clarity underneath a foam layer, slightly yellowed.

Smell: Sugar encrusted toasted bread with floral, orangy notes from the hops (a slight candied, dried apricot fruitiness, too) and a slight whiff of alcohol.

Taste: Toasted, bready malts with a heavy pour of golden syrup and caramel. Large sweetness. Touch of dried apricot. Drizzle of orange oil with some comparatively easy-going resinous, floral qualities. Medium-plus bitterness, some heat from the alcohol. Sweetness slackens some, as does the body past the midway point, taking one an alcoholic sweet tea laced with citrus juice taste until the warming finish. There is a lingering bitterness, but, again, it's comparatively light when set against many IPA's, imperial or otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Some apparent stickiness to the mouthfeel.

Overall: While not exactly cloying, it's not what many people are looking for from a Double/Imperial India Pale Ale. Sorry, it just isn't.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

1.75/5  rDev -52.8%

4.63/5  rDev +24.8%

12 oz bottle drank straight from the neck then to the Dogfish Head Pint glass for further inspection.

A: Dark amber orange. Thick cloudy appearance with light carbonation. It has a really nice thin white froth head that is resilient sip after mouthwatering sip. Well done.

S: Brown sugar malts jump off first. Sweet nectarines, blood orange, rose pedals. This is full of sweet hop varietals, 5 in total, with Warrior and Chinook hops springing forth through the crowd. No real trace of pine which you get with almost all double IPA's..strange.. but hey its all good.

T: This is a slightly spicier Lagunitas Brown Sugga clone. This has more malts, spice box, and peppery flourish than most DIPA's. This beer is coated with loads of residual sugar and tangerine fruit.

M: Creamy, smooth, full bodied deliciousness. A really well rounded chewy mouthfeel. NICE

O: This is my second Big Eddy series from Leinenkugel, there other being one of my top 5 stouts Their Oak Barreled Russian Imperial Bourbon Stout, and let me say DAMN GOOD JOB!

nothing else to report but this BUY THIS BEER...put your regular good old boys down and GET THIS NOW... you will thank me and your tastebuds later..

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

4.04/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: It pours a hazy dark orange color and is topped with a thin layer 1/8” of white colored head that lingers.
Smell: The blend of hops in the aroma of this beer is excellent I get pine grass citrus all blended into one delicious sniff. Big Eddy maybe one of the best smelling beers that I can remember.
Taste: The flavor isn’t as distinctive and complex as the aroma but that would be a hard thing to live up to. There is a tasty balance to the flavor that makes it a good IPA just wish that the hops were more prominante.
Mouthfeel: This is on the heavy bodied side to most IPAs but it is still easy drinking without losing any flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

I feel at this time I can pretty much try any beer without a preconceptions. But I would be lying if there wasn’t something deep in my brain that had some questions before I popped this bottle open.

Any thoughts deep within my subconscious were immediately drowned out by this really amazing offering from Leinies. The nose is a dense cluster of citrus. I have had a few one note citrus IIPA's recently and I crave complexity. The nose has a number of distinct notes, grapefruit, slight orange, and maybe even a more pungent lemon. The smell carries almost perfectly over into the first part of the taste, which is actually pretty rare now that I think about it. Most beers tend to move on to other flavors, but I am glad this one let me really think about that citrusy nose. The flavors hang for some time before a really nice dank mouth rounds out the mouthfeel. God I love dank beers and this one isn't insanely dank, but still very forward.

If I am going to nitpick this brew, I think it could have handled almost a whole extra percent of ABV. I think the bottle said 8.2% and I wouldn’t have minded it sitting in the mid to low 9's. But that is really nitpicking.

Bravo to the brewers up in Chippewa Falls and their Big Eddy Series. Glad the folks down in Milwaukee let you off your leash because you are accomplishing some great things.

A side note - I refuse to rate appearance so every beer gets the same score as overall. Smell and taste are the only things that truly matter when rating a beer.

Served on tap in Big Eddy snifter. Deep red clear appearance with thin white head. The nose features an onslaught of pine, wood, resin, and grapefruit. Caramel malt backbone present. Taste is very malty with a swift kick of piny grapefruit hops. Lots of flavor, a touch on the boozy side. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy. Overall, a vey well executed beer by Leinenkugels, too bad this isn't their m.o. Worth a try.

4.75/5  rDev +28%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.41/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer poured out as a clear copper color with a white head on top. The head was white, it had a decent retention and it left a good lacing too. The smell of the beer is more malty than hoppy I think... The taste is moderately hoppy, it's got a bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is oily, it's thick and had a decent carbonation. Overall this beer is decent, it's not quite lively enough for an Imperial IPA. It's drinkable but not the best example of the style out there.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

A - A very dark amber brown/copper with a 1/2 inch of mocha colored head. Like the sticky lacing on this it runs all throughout the pour.

S - Malty, caramel like with a musky grapefruit and a touch of bittering pine.

T - Not as malt forward as I expected yet not a hop bomb. Pleasant malty grapefruit balanced with caramel sweetness and a touch of pine in the finish. Palatable and tasty.

M - Medium bodied yet goes down easy enough.

Overall much better than the RIS and on par with the style like the Wee Heavy. Seems like these guys know what they are doing.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

A – A caramel/orange colored body, light carbonation, with a yellow-white head. Nice looking 1 finger head. Great retention.

S – What a great smelling IPA. The hops smell really wonderful and diverse, there is also a fruity element to this, either a grapefruit or a pineapple.

T – Good, not amazing. Has a nice malty character to it that does not overshadow the hops but contribute to it in a very balanced manner. Both bitter and sweet at the same time. Extremely well-masked alcohol, and overall actually a very well crated IPA. It really gets better as it warms up a little bit too. But like I said, good, not amazing.

M – A nice medium body, with carbonation that lasts the whole way, has a nice mouth-feel.

O – Overall, Big Eddy made a damn fine IPA, very drinkable, very tasty, I would totally buy this again if I saw it.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Best by Oct 16, 2012 stamped in white on the bottle.

It pours a cloudy colour of rust/orange, with a tiny head of foam but it does leave some lacing behind.

Being close to the best by date, I'm getting a huge blast of caramel malt with light notes of read. No bitterness that reaches my nose buds.

The taste matches the smell. A huge malt presence with just a smallish hint of any hop bitterness. Even when I swish the beer in my mouth, I don't get the, now long faded I guess, hoppiness that's typical of a fresh Imperial IPA. And guess what? I'm DIGGING it! It reminds me of a well made Old Ale/Barleywine.

Close to full bodied, ample carbonation, smooth mouthfeel.

I would have loved to try and review a fresh sample but this, the way it is now, is very satisfying.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Part of a 4-pack, which I prefer over a bomber, so thank you Leinie's.
I like the hopping in this drink. It's fresh with some fruitiness and some citrus, but balanced out with more grass and herbal notes too. This bottle holds a more resin note, which I didn't notice on my previous bottle and something I can do without, but all in all it isn't too distracting or off-putting. It actually starts to blend into the malt character, which is kinda' nice. A solid but not amazing start.
Looks like a DIPA. Creamy tan head. Cloudy amber color.
Again, a little more resin in the flavor than I recall the first go around. But it fades and blends well. I'm enjoying the malt character of this one. Firm and solid and adding flavor and not just balancing out the hops. The hop flavors are strong and almost intense, but short lived and move quickly to the bitterness, which mimics that experience, but is less intense. The finish is more malt laden and is kinda' sweet. Hop flavors more than bitterness on the gentle ending.
Moderately high feel, but not overly big. Soft and reasonable smooth.
I liked my first bottle more than this one. I'll adjust scores if I find later bottles resemble the earlier one more than this. Temperature may be playing a part as I believe this one may be somewhat warmer. I like the blending and balance. I'm not fond of the resin quality which to me comes off as an unenjoyable aroma and taste.

Big Eddy Imperial IPA from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company