Big Eddy Imperial IPA | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerBelcher on 03-12-2007

From notes on 9/29/13

I had higher hopes for this one. Nice powerful aroma. A lighter color orange than other IIPAs I’ve had. Odd taste. Hoppy like it should be, but there is a strong flavor that I don’t quite care for, but it isn't bad. Also, this beer is around $12 for a 4 pack. Pretty pricey. There are much better and cheaper options out there.

4.16/5  rDev +10.6%

4.16/5  rDev +10.6%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.72/5  rDev -1.1%

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass
bottled: 7/14/14

A: Pours a very hazy dark copper with just under 1 fingers width of light tan colored head, which dissipates down fairly quickly and leaves a fair amount of lacing. 3.5

S: Grapefruit, tons of sweetness-almost a candied sugar like sweetness, subtle pine but this is most definitely very malt forward. 3.25

T: More hops than the aroma implied, with a significant amount of piney bitterness and some citrus rind. Pretty big bitterness. Sweet malts are present to balance. Not the best hop profile, but not bad. 3.5

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation on the heavier side but appropriate, ABV well restrained, drinkability is average. 3.75

O: Overall, meh. Not a bad beer, but no reason for me to have this one again. 3.5

Side note: this new rating system is complete dog shit, please change back ASAP.

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

3.26/5  rDev -13.3%

2012 vintage reviewed 26 July 2014.

The Great Bottle Eradication of 2014 continues unabated this evening. I purchased this one as a single at Country Garden Six Pack from their close-out cooler since it was already beyond its prime. It originally retailed for $15./4-pack, so unless it is skunked or otherwise flawed, I got a bargain since at 8.2% ABV, it can't be too bad.

From the bottle: "Our Berwery was born on the Big Eddy Spring in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin"; "Its waters guiding us through five generations of genuine brewing heritage."; "Five distinctive hops are added at every stage of the brewing process for our take on an Imperial IPA".

I employed a very gentle pour which produced only a skim of tawny head. I then agitated it in the glass to work up a quick finger of tawny head that quickly reduced to wisps. Color was deep-amber/light-copper to copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very sweet and malty, indicating that the hops had fallen away pretty significantly. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. Once again, the first thing that I noticed was a intense fusel alcohol burn! Man, this must have been really hot when it was fresh. I am realizing that DIPAs are not for me, fresh or no. Following the initial burn, it had a very sweet caramel malt flavor, which was not bad, but it was still coming across as very intense. Phew! It seems as though I had a bottle of this two years ago, but I have no notes on it, which is too bad. Finish was equally hot and sweet and if I had any regrets, it was that there were no hops in evidence at this point. This could have been a barleywine for that matter.

Big Eddy Imperial IPA from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company