Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy
Notes:
Reviews: 683 | Ratings: 3,812 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy looking light golden brew with a thick white head, how bad could this be? Oh boy, scary non beer aroma of lemon soda this might not be so good. Head fading... ok, not as sweet as I was expecting after the scent of this concoction yet sweet, with a bready finish. I’d call it a bit watery or light on the flavor. Good carbonation and a light feel is a good point of this soda beer. I guess this is 100% better than the old wine coolers we got belly sick on back in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

2.86/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

*Poured into a Teku from a 12oz bottle*

Looked a pale clear yellow with a white half finger head. In my opinion, this wasn't a very attractive color, as it looked a little strange, almost like an off colored lemonade. Had only a little bit of retention and only had micro bubbles with no rocky foam.

The aroma reminded me of light lemonade and also limeade.This citrusy smell evolved into a bit of a sweet biscuit character. Not a whole lot of depth or complexity in this department.

The taste was very surprising considering this beer should be lemon focused. But I primarily got a large biscuit and bready character to it for the most part with a little bit of lemon on the back end. It was slightly tart but very malt forward. Left a strong bread aftertaste in the end.

I felt as though there's not a whole lot to say on the feel, other than it was crisp and had a pretty light body and low carbonation.

This was a slightly below average beer for this style. Definitely not the worst I've had, but I was hoping for more of a pronounced lemon character than what I got.

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%

I feel like this beer gets way to much hate. Yeah it’s not an IPA and it’s a macro beer but it’s great for what it is. This should be in every beer lovers fridge from June through August. Perfect summer time beer or whenever it’s over 75 degrees. Smell is candied lemons and some grain. Has a yellow straw color. Taste is candied lemon with a weiss beer finish. I think this would be better if more Weiss flavor was included and less artificial lemon. Overall, I can’t wait to have one of these this summer on a beach somewhere or on a canoe trip.

4.02/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Lemon is extremely potent (smell and taste). Visual is blonde and clear, straw-like. Very light and smooth, but comes across as watery. Sweet brew is great on a summer day, hence the name.

3.71/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A classic.

Pours a very hazy bright but the soft-yellow hue, quickly dissipating all-white head leaves this beer with mild lacing on the rim though very little remains in the center atop the beer. Quickly moving bubbles snap from the bottom leaving this beer looking more like a soda in its character.

The smell is a bit funky, with notes of sweet candied lemonade and a smidgen of yeast.

The flavor is similar to that of its smell, sweet candied lemons which leave a tart feeling but this shandy uses honey-wieß beer so you're left with this punch of wheat that unexpectantly sits on the rear of the tasting notes. An odd mix of sweetness occurs, though this is highly approachable by all drinkers - a lot of notes can be off-putting if this isn't fresh or poured on a clean tap.

Mouthfeel is over-carbonated, though I believe it used to be a lot smoother than this.

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

(24 oz can, NOV0419; purchased cold... poured into 28 oz mug)

L: incredibly cloudy (like NEIPA), golden-amber liquid; puts up a tall mat of frothy foam which starts to crumble immediately, but a cap does hold for awhile; thick ring of lace at the top

S: much lemonade at the fore but, surprisingly, the underlying aromatics of the wheat are very much in the mix... interesting balance, wasn't expecting that - I must say it is an inviting scent... with each burp, the lemon won't quit

T: lemon(-lime) soda pop up front, with the weissbier swelling up in the finish; the aftertaste shifts back to the lemon drink, with some fruity yeast and a muffin-like malt note hanging in the back... after the first sip, the weissbier, which is relatively full-flavored, barmy, and overall rather tasty, begins to assert itself more, start to finish... as I said above, the more you burp, the more the lemon creeps back

F: healthy degree of stealth carbonation, short of spritzy; its body is on-point for a wheat beer (hefe or wit), light-medium and frothy, bouncy up front, mellow cottony/cushion-y residual film...

O: I have had this once or twice, swilling from the bottle - drinking it from a glass definitely allows the flavors to open up more... I'd never noticed this had a weissbier and not a lager as its base... can't deny it, this is pretty flavorful and enjoyable; wouldn't avoid it outright (1450)

3.02/5  rDev -5.6%

L: cloudy yellow color with nice frothy head
S:fruitiness up front with very mild hops barely coming through
T: a bit too much on the lemon peel side for my taste
F: refreshing but a bit strong with lemonade peel taste
O: glad I tried it

2.26/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I can't figure out why this is so popular. I think mostly women drink this? I'm not sure. I've tried it multiple times trying to see what the big deal is. It tastes like beer with Lemon Pledge in it. There are so many good Leinenkugel's beers, go towards those.

3.21/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From a can. Pours a yellow color with a small amount of white head. Lemon aroma. Light body with plenty of carbonation. Sweet lemon flavor with some grainy malts in the background. Refreshing, decent if you're outside on a hot day.

3.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

473 mL can from the LCBO; dated Feb 1 2019 and served slightly chilled. Labelled "Lemon Shandy" for the Canadian market, and more than likely brewed at one of the M-C plants on this side of the border.

Pours a foggy, translucent, pale golden-yellow colour, initially capped with nearly two fingers of foamy, soapy white head. Within several minutes, it has been reduced to a creamy-looking collar and a thin, filmy cap; a decent coat of messy lace develops after a few sips. The nose is straight-up lemonade and sugar, with only the barest semblance of grainy, wheaty malt sweetness being discernible underneath the citrusy, lemony bulk of the aroma. Inoffensive, and lacking that off-putting dish soap aspect that some lemon beers suffer from, but it's not exactly setting up high hopes.

It's ok - that's the best compliment I can muster. It tastes mostly of lemonade soda, backed by a subtle note of wheaty, grainy malt sweetness that is actually most noticeable in the aftertaste, after the lemon has faded. Suggestions of lemon peel towards the finish, but that's about all I can come up with to describe this one's flavour profile. Light body with good carbonation levels that give it a crisp, satisfying bite; exactly what I want from this sort of beer. Bonus points for its sessionability and refreshing nature.

Final Grade: 3.26, a C+. Leinenkugel's Lemon Shandy is just tolerable enough to adequately perform its function, i.e. quench thirst in hot weather. It's the sort of not-quite-beer that would be fine to drink at a baseball game with limited beverage options, or perhaps after mowing the lawn on a hot day. Hell, just this past summer (when it first showed up here in Ontario), I tossed a can in my backpack and enjoyed it on a hike. I'd never refuse this if it were handed to me, but there are too many other radlers (and, to a lesser extent, shandies) out there these days to settle for this mass-produced mediocrity.

3.48/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Meh! There are better summer beers. It might be somewhat refreshing on a hot summer day. I would drink this again but never order it or buy it again.

2.99/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tried this once and thought it was pretty eh. Not a huge fan of Shandys and learned that after having this beer. Still would drink, but only if it was in summer and this was the only beer available. My girlfriend is a fan of them, so I will probably end up trying this again at some point.

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%

What you have here is a beach beer, not something you want to have in a cold Winter's evening, not something to wrap up with and sip over long hours, this is a beer you drink while hot thirsty tired and just want something to go down cold and smooth.

A summer staple, belongs in every fridge 3 months a year.

Not bad on a mellow summer evening, although if you're looking for actual beer look elsewhere. This is more toward the bitch beer part of the beeriodic table. ca. 2008

Intriguing start. The lemony flavor is almost overpowering. As I continue the lemony flavor remains, but not as pointedly. Good, consistent finish. Still, this comes across to me as a lemonade beer well-suited to the summer heat. I can’t say that I’ll seek it out because it’s a one-trick pony, and I’d rather have an Arnold Palmer to do that trick. 2013/04/28

I'm putting in a new quick review since it's been a while and my fondness for this has grown since my original reviews. This is a wonderful go-to for hot days, with a nice blend of sweetness that still has some beery goodness underneath. Recommended whenever the heat has got you down. 2018/11/12

The perfect marriage of lemonade and beer! I said it and I will continue to drink this refreshing brew. It is amazingly refreshing and something that I will come back to and enjoy every summer, this is a contender just like Oberon.

2.79/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 12 ounce glass bottle.

Look - Normal decent looking Leinenkugel label except obnoxiously yellow.

Smell - Rotten lemons, damp carpet, semi-pleasant baking spices. Not the best smell, but it's got a decent amount going on.

Taste - A vague lemon flavor. Not too sweet, not too sour. Occasionally some hints of beer come through, but it's just the idea of beer more than beer itself.

Feel - Strong spiky carbonation and thin body make this drink very much like a soda. Not too big on it.

Overall - A "beer" for people who don't like beer. Nothing much here that I'd care to revisit, but it could be decent under a hot summer sun.

3.15/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On draught at Gaslight Social Club.

Pours a hazy yellow, small head of foam.

I get notes of lemon, wheat, bread. All on the light side.

Tastes like it smells. Inoffensive light flavours, simple, refreshing.

Light body with medium carbonation.

It is what it is. I miss the Sunset Wheat.

3.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From twelve ounce bottle, no discernible freshness date.
Pours a very thick frothy head that lasts a few minutes then gently laces the glass. Color is a cloudy lemon yellow. This is a weakly tasting brew of lemonade and slightly breads wheat. Leaves a medicinal aftertaste,but, not entirely unpleasant on a very hot summer day!

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer at a Milwaukee Brewers game at Miller Park. It was 88 and humid. I had two Shandys, which hit the spot. Not a beer that I would drink at a bar or an indoor event. This is good beer for what it's marketed for, summer.

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An excellent shady. Pours a cloudy pale yellow. Smells like lemon Pledge. Tastes like lemon meringue pie. Lemony with a little sweetness. Great hot summer day brew.

2.63/5  rDev -17.8%

It poured a hazy yellow with lots of carbonation and nice white head. The smell is of weak lemons and taste is of week watered down beer with a lemon hint. The was just not making it got me. Some people my like it but just not for me.

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Hard to believe I haven't had this before. This is a straightforward and solid shandy. Nice bright lemon flavors with a decent malt backbone. It's a great summer beer.

3.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Can- pours a hazy pale straw with a puffy 2 finger cap...aroma is subtle- biscuit dough and lemon with some grassy spiciness. Flavor is mild, rounded, bready with a lemon kiss and a creaminess in the mouth feel, fast crisp finish, a decent thirst buster...I never liked these things (My dad had to make shandys for my Mom in the summer heat because she thought beer was "fattening")...always thought they were fruity, weak ladies drinks...but I found myself liking this one as I literally slammed it after a hot day of yard work.

3.64/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light hazy golden color. 1 finger white head with decent retention.
The nose has a lemon aroma to it.
Taste A light slight lemon flavor. Slight sweet.
Body is light, and slightly watery.
For a shady, on a hot summer day, it's delicious.

2.53/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank out of the bottle so I didn't get to see the color. I could see that. It has a slight head. The taste was sweet with mild hops and a strong artificial lemony taste added. Very fizzy and watery. It wasn't the best I ever had but definitely not the worst. I probably won't go searching for this again, though. If you want a summer time beer just get some macro AAL. It would be cheaper and do the same trick.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company