Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 672 | Ratings: 3,761
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Meh! There are better summer beers. It might be somewhat refreshing on a hot summer day. I would drink this again but never order it or buy it again.

2.99/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tried this once and thought it was pretty eh. Not a huge fan of Shandys and learned that after having this beer. Still would drink, but only if it was in summer and this was the only beer available. My girlfriend is a fan of them, so I will probably end up trying this again at some point.

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

What you have here is a beach beer, not something you want to have in a cold Winter's evening, not something to wrap up with and sip over long hours, this is a beer you drink while hot thirsty tired and just want something to go down cold and smooth.

A summer staple, belongs in every fridge 3 months a year.

Not bad on a mellow summer evening, although if you're looking for actual beer look elsewhere. This is more toward the bitch beer part of the beeriodic table. ca. 2008

Intriguing start. The lemony flavor is almost overpowering. As I continue the lemony flavor remains, but not as pointedly. Good, consistent finish. Still, this comes across to me as a lemonade beer well-suited to the summer heat. I can’t say that I’ll seek it out because it’s a one-trick pony, and I’d rather have an Arnold Palmer to do that trick. 2013/04/28

I'm putting in a new quick review since it's been a while and my fondness for this has grown since my original reviews. This is a wonderful go-to for hot days, with a nice blend of sweetness that still has some beery goodness underneath. Recommended whenever the heat has got you down. 2018/11/12

The perfect marriage of lemonade and beer! I said it and I will continue to drink this refreshing brew. It is amazingly refreshing and something that I will come back to and enjoy every summer, this is a contender just like Oberon.

2.79/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 12 ounce glass bottle.

Look - Normal decent looking Leinenkugel label except obnoxiously yellow.

Smell - Rotten lemons, damp carpet, semi-pleasant baking spices. Not the best smell, but it's got a decent amount going on.

Taste - A vague lemon flavor. Not too sweet, not too sour. Occasionally some hints of beer come through, but it's just the idea of beer more than beer itself.

Feel - Strong spiky carbonation and thin body make this drink very much like a soda. Not too big on it.

Overall - A "beer" for people who don't like beer. Nothing much here that I'd care to revisit, but it could be decent under a hot summer sun.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On draught at Gaslight Social Club.

Pours a hazy yellow, small head of foam.

I get notes of lemon, wheat, bread. All on the light side.

Tastes like it smells. Inoffensive light flavours, simple, refreshing.

Light body with medium carbonation.

It is what it is. I miss the Sunset Wheat.

3.27/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From twelve ounce bottle, no discernible freshness date.
Pours a very thick frothy head that lasts a few minutes then gently laces the glass. Color is a cloudy lemon yellow. This is a weakly tasting brew of lemonade and slightly breads wheat. Leaves a medicinal aftertaste,but, not entirely unpleasant on a very hot summer day!

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer at a Milwaukee Brewers game at Miller Park. It was 88 and humid. I had two Shandys, which hit the spot. Not a beer that I would drink at a bar or an indoor event. This is good beer for what it's marketed for, summer.

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An excellent shady. Pours a cloudy pale yellow. Smells like lemon Pledge. Tastes like lemon meringue pie. Lemony with a little sweetness. Great hot summer day brew.

2.63/5  rDev -17.3%

It poured a hazy yellow with lots of carbonation and nice white head. The smell is of weak lemons and taste is of week watered down beer with a lemon hint. The was just not making it got me. Some people my like it but just not for me.

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Hard to believe I haven't had this before. This is a straightforward and solid shandy. Nice bright lemon flavors with a decent malt backbone. It's a great summer beer.

3.14/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Can- pours a hazy pale straw with a puffy 2 finger cap...aroma is subtle- biscuit dough and lemon with some grassy spiciness. Flavor is mild, rounded, bready with a lemon kiss and a creaminess in the mouth feel, fast crisp finish, a decent thirst buster...I never liked these things (My dad had to make shandys for my Mom in the summer heat because she thought beer was "fattening")...always thought they were fruity, weak ladies drinks...but I found myself liking this one as I literally slammed it after a hot day of yard work.

3.64/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light hazy golden color. 1 finger white head with decent retention.
The nose has a lemon aroma to it.
Taste A light slight lemon flavor. Slight sweet.
Body is light, and slightly watery.
For a shady, on a hot summer day, it's delicious.

2.53/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank out of the bottle so I didn't get to see the color. I could see that. It has a slight head. The taste was sweet with mild hops and a strong artificial lemony taste added. Very fizzy and watery. It wasn't the best I ever had but definitely not the worst. I probably won't go searching for this again, though. If you want a summer time beer just get some macro AAL. It would be cheaper and do the same trick.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Hazy honey gold, substantial head, good lace. Big whiff of faux lemon up front. Super mild, not a big flavour profile. Faux lemon again, almost medicinal to drink. Passable as a summer cooler. Very soft stuff.

2.48/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

The lemon flavoring they put in this is a disaster. Reminds me of the smell of lemon floor cleaner. I cannot enjoy drinking this beer. Reminds me of some artificial lemon flavored chicken wings I had one time. Nobody wanted to eat them. Likewise I don't see how anyone would want to drink this beer.

3.88/5  rDev +22%

Nothing fancy about this beer, but it is one of my summertime favorites. Super refreshing and light. Although I think the term is ridiculous, this is a nice session beer.

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nice refreshing brew, great for a hot summer evening. Enough color to look tasty, smell light and just a little fruity. Taste good but could be a little stronger citrus. Feel good, smooth. Not too filling but enough to leave you satisfied and not needing more.

2.18/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of those "cheap beers I'll drink if I have to." Not wholly unenjoyable, but often ends with a drain pour when I've just become bored of it.

L: Surprisingly vibrant amber-yellow coloring, thick and impossible to see through. Strange to me that such a low ABV can be so dark and non-transparent. Virtually no lacing to speak of, and a thick foamy head dissolves in seconds. Looks great upon first pour, but then simmers and appears almost flat.

S: I cannot smell this beer. Lemon? Maybe my nose isn't working today, but there's nothing here.

T: Lemon, wheatgrass, strange alcoholic bite despite the bare bones alcoholic content. Not a lot going on here, good or bad.

Feel: Watery texture leaves a lot to be desired; I'm thirstier now than I was before I started. Bad aftertaste.

O: I wouldn't bother. As Shandys and Radlers become more popular and marketable, you'll see dozens of comparatively priced competitors that actually have flavor. It's the "Blue Moon" of Shandys, if that makes sense.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

An aroma of grain and lemon juice. Tasted like beer meets lemon soda. There was lemon,a bit of malt and lemon tart and bitterness. It's far from world class but for something different at a bbq or picnic it can work

3.26/5  rDev +2.5%

I'd tried this on tap last year at an event, and it didn't really impress me for flavor. Having recently been to Spain and sampled the local "Clara" beverage (which is beer and lemon soda), I gave this Leine another try--but still found it to be "meh". However, I found the off-the-shelf Shandy can be improved a bit by your own addition of about 1.5 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of sugar (per bottle).

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Summer Shandy by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company at Salty Pelican Bar and Grill

Refreshing, easy on the palate summer beer. It drinks better when sitting on a coastal estuary eating fresh seafood! Add a slice of lemon; 5/11/17

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a golden color with a quickly-dissipating small head. Smells of lemon and wheat - almost like Pine-sol. Some lacing to the beer though it could definitely be improved (although not totally out of place for this beer.) Tastes overwhelmingly of lemonade, with no real hoppy flavor or other malts. Tastes almost like an extremely soft Vodka and Lemonade. Definitely something to drink a sixer of during a hot summer day, but not something to drink all the time. I'd recommend something else if available.

3.41/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

BA reviews strike me as harsh on this simple Summer Shandy that is merely doing its job of being refreshing.
Context is key.
If you review this as what we know as "beer", its poor ratings can be justified. But if we review it as a beverage with a simple job, then Summer Shandy is pleasant and pleasurable. I had it with a spicy lunch (that needed some lemon juice) on a nice summer day. This beer made me happy. And as Garrison Keillor has made famous for Minnesotans "That is good enough." (Leinie's is brewed near the Minnesota border.)

As for my review... I agree, Summer Shandy Looks like not much. And it Smells only a little better (lemons open up the nose for this beer's biggest plus.) To me, it Tastes fine. Lemons and wheat are a great summer combination that too many brewers shy from for fear, I suppose, of being accused of making sissy-beer. Feel? Mostly refreshing, cleansing the palate for more spicy food. Overall ? This beer made my lunch far more interesting than I expected.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company