Summer Shandy

Notes:
Reviews: 698 | Ratings: 3,879 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
TheBelgianAler524

4.77/5  rDev +49.1%

This is tied for my all time favorite beer along with Wittenkerke's white ale.

Very crisp, and light. One of those shandy/fruity beers that still tastes like beer. Taste is great, just a little bit tart and very refreshing. Mouthfeel is a bit sharp at times, but man is this a delicious beer if you like light, crisp and tart.

Sep 05, 2021
Storm_Rryder from Iowa

3.25/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light, wheaty and tart. I like sour beers but tart not really. It's not overly pronounced but enough that I'm not enjoying this one. Still refreshing, but too many better choices out there to go back to this one.

Jul 04, 2021
swampski from Louisiana

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I currently live in a Deep South rural hollow that has a liquor store and a Wal-Mart, so I don't get much of a selection, although thankfully, Hoegaarden, my global go-to beer, is available! Being a fan of Leiny's Vanilla Porter (which used to be Creme Stout) ever since doing a half-year-long gig in Wisconsin years ago, I decided to try this Summer Shandy. I'm a fan of fruity wheat bears like (where can I get it now?) Sam Adam's Blackberry Wit that get it right, so I decided to try this; I was not disappointed. In fact, now that the oppressive summer heat is in full swing with triple-digit heat index conditions, I find this beer irresistible; its essence is perfectly in tune with my loud A/C. Perhaps I have just needed a change of pace from the Hoegaarden, which I drink all the time, any season, any continent.

Yes, it's a bit light on the wheat part, but it's still there, and of good quality. Yes, there lemon is strong, but isn't an American wheat beer supposed to have lemon slice or two (or three) in it? I was bit leery of trying a beer that seeks to be strong in citrus, as I remember trying a Berliner Tart (perhaps also a Leiny?) that I had found painful, but this Summer Shandy nails it at just the right level of tart & sweetness while still feeling like "beer". Can't decide between lemonade & beer? This is the answer that splits it down the middle!

To the beer snobs that have to have an IPA, go elsewhere with your bitter brew. Is there a better representative of this style? Sure, get me a Boulevard ZŌN with some lemon slices; I haven't been able to find that since the summer years ago that I spent in southern Illinois. OTOH, Summer Shandy can be found at any major grocer anywhere in the USA. What are you going to do? In my fridge, Summer Shandy is next door to Sam Adam's Summer Ale (also easily available locally, and I am a huge fan of SA's Winter Ale), but I keep reaching for the Shandy.

Jun 15, 2021
defunksta from North Dakota

3.65/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pours a completely hazy (~90% opacity), light pale lemon color with a moderate white head. SRM of 6. (4.00)

Aroma: Strong aromas of lemon citrus, sweet candied lemon, lemonade, and some lemon pound cake underneath. (4.00)

Flavor: Strong flavors of unfiltered lemonade, wheat, more candied lemon. Leans sweet. (3.50)

Feel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Finishes somewhat clean on the palate. (3.50)

Compared to Fulton Blonde 6/8/21: Pours a lighter color. A stronger lemon aroma. Less honey and malt body. Lighter and cleaner

Overall: Pretty much what I expected for a lemon shandy here. Strong lemonade and lemon shandy flavors. Not bad for a light, fruity, and crisp alcoholic beverage. Notice I said "alcoholic beverage" and not beer. Not sure I would classify this as a beer. I think it drinks closer to a cider, cocktail, or mimosa, you decide. Nevertheless, it's a tasty offering from Leinenkugal. Is it surprising that this is the first drink I like from them and it is the one that is furthest from a beer? Maybe Leinenkugal should stick to things besides beer, because the more they try and make it a beer, the less I seem to like it. This may be their best "beverage" I've tried. (Final Rating: 3.65+)

Jun 08, 2021
KT3418 from Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I look at the ratings and feel like a lot of people forget there's some things that just require some context and this one. My first time having this was at a ball game and it was easily one of the best things consumed. It's a gathering beer, a fun time, I'd be extremely happy knowing what I know and finding this at a stadium cuz I'd for sure rather get it than macro stuff. It was just good idk, ease up and have fun

Jun 02, 2021
German-Helles from Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I poured this 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. In the beginning there was a 1/2" head of pure white foam over a hazy straw yellow near the bottom of the glass, but a slight orange hue added to the top half of the glass. The foam settled back to a thin layer with a large amount of carbonation cascading to the surface.
The aroma is sweet lemon of course with the with a light amount of malt notes. This is what I would expect from a beer with lemons on the label.
The taste is a sweet lemon drop flavor, very fizzy on the tongue. The mouth feel is light. There is not anything malty or hoppy in the flavor.
I had this after mowing lawn today, it quenched my thirst. This is enjoyable on a very warm day, very easy to sample a few. A couple of these find there way to my fridge each summer. Summer Shandy has found a little niche here in Wisconsin.

May 25, 2021
luckyseven from Michigan

3.66/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Rating this as my first review of a brew I have enjoyed over the years, especially in the summer. I choose to enjoy my beverage out of the bottle so I rate look based on the bottle and respective bottle cap. This is the perfect beer for when the weather gets warm here in Michigan and listening to tunes while enjoying this beer is fantastic. It goes down smooth, however, I am not a huge fan of the sugary aftertaste this brew leaves. As I said, it is great for sitting with some friends on a warm evening, but it is not what I would classify as a "world-class" beer by any means.

May 09, 2021
JayQue from Virginia

3.56/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad!!!! This is not a classic craft beer by any standard but as a summertime thirst quencher - it fits the bill!!!! Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Has a medium size foamy white head with good retention and a little filmy lacing on the glass. Hazy grapefruit color. Aroma and taste are 'lemon drop candy" and a very slight wheat bitterness. Nothing complicated, but pleasant enough!!! Mouthfeel is crisp and tart, not too light - just right for belting down a few on a hot day.

Apr 04, 2021
AlCaponeJunior from Texas

2.79/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not one of my favorites in the summer beer category. Smells and tastes a bit like a rest area off of I-10 in Texas. Probably tastes a little better than that. But not much.

Aug 06, 2020
JoKo from Connecticut

3.77/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy, bright yellow color with a high amount of carbonation. Inch thick white head that hangs on for a few minutes. The smell is all lemon, malts up front. The Taste is as expected, lemon up front, malts in the back, some graininess. Very easy drinkability, light bodied. Overall, definitely something for heat wave kind of weather, after being outside working, walking, exercising, or just being outdoors. Very good representation of style.

Aug 02, 2020
HighestBAC1015 from Nebraska

I WISH THIS SHIT WAS YEAR ROUND!!!!! I have to deal with the off brand Summer Shock Top whatever it is.... THE ONE WITH THE SUN!!! Welp OPE

Jun 22, 2020
PathofChaos from Maryland

2.02/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance:
Its like looking at an old-fashioned lemon lollipop, the kind where you can see hitch-hiking air bubbles that were fossilized within for their trouble. A bubble bath of white suds form the head and they bail out on dinner just before the check comes.

Bouquet:
Y’know how the directions on Lemon Pine Sol tells you to dilute one quarter cup with one gallon of water? Well, suppose you overdid it by an extra gallon or three and that’s what this smells like.

Feel:
Perhaps its only redeemable attribute. Its light body bathes in a soothing, sea-foam of carbonation that ends with a polite, citrus linger. Shockingly balanced.

Taste:
The day I was given this shandy, I had a customer who was looking for it. When I guided him to it, he asked convivially, “Ever had this one before?” I told him I hadn’t, that I preferred stouts and porters. He scrunched his nose like I’d sprayed him with skunk pee instead of answering his question, “But those are dark and thick!” he scolded.

In an attempt to avoid alienating the customer, I told him I also liked IPAs too. The effort backfired as the man recoiled and beheld me in abject horror, eyes widening, as though he’d just discovered I were a cross burning, devil smooching, apostate. “But IPAs are bitter as hell. This is light!” With that, he scrambled to the safety of the unopinionated cashier before any more of my heretical sermon could blaze pentagrams into his poor, virgin soul.

At the end of the day, I looked at this shandy and realized: This beer was the go-to beer for a man who despises actual beer. And by consciously pouring it into a glass, I was consenting to imbibe some revolting shit.

While I’m pleased to tell you it isn’t revolting, I can tell you that 14 out of its 16 ounces were used to clean my garbage disposal today. The sink now shares the same emaciated, wheat-and-lemon grass character that mimics the palate of this shandy, steel sink included.

Overall:
A drink for people who actually want White Claw, but are too emasculated at the thought of having to look another human in the eye as they purchase hard seltzer.

Jun 18, 2020
Davishobbs1 from Georgia

3.78/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

leinenkugel summer shandy is a decent beer and feels like a dick in my mouth. although to some, this may seem like a bad thing, but for me it was quite good. i also thoroughly enjoy the way it is overall. it smells like a normal beer, so i gave it a 2. i even added decimal points to show my experience in the field and that i am capable of distinguishing the vast array of alcohol brands i have tried. as a result, Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is a decent overall beer and i would recommend it is tried while trying to game with the boys.

Jun 11, 2020
Armotekma from California

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

A "I kind of want a beer, but lemonade, but not too sweet" kind of drink, suited for warmer weather. It's inoffensive, relaxing, and tasty; dangerous for the love handles for those who put away a few per its low ABV but nonetheless is a welcome addition to the fridge.

Jun 06, 2020
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy looking light golden brew with a thick white head, how bad could this be? Oh boy, scary non beer aroma of lemon soda this might not be so good. Head fading... ok, not as sweet as I was expecting after the scent of this concoction yet sweet, with a bready finish. I’d call it a bit watery or light on the flavor. Good carbonation and a light feel is a good point of this soda beer. I guess this is 100% better than the old wine coolers we got belly sick on back in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

May 12, 2020
just1cho from California

2.86/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

*Poured into a Teku from a 12oz bottle*

Looked a pale clear yellow with a white half finger head. In my opinion, this wasn't a very attractive color, as it looked a little strange, almost like an off colored lemonade. Had only a little bit of retention and only had micro bubbles with no rocky foam.

The aroma reminded me of light lemonade and also limeade.This citrusy smell evolved into a bit of a sweet biscuit character. Not a whole lot of depth or complexity in this department.

The taste was very surprising considering this beer should be lemon focused. But I primarily got a large biscuit and bready character to it for the most part with a little bit of lemon on the back end. It was slightly tart but very malt forward. Left a strong bread aftertaste in the end.

I felt as though there's not a whole lot to say on the feel, other than it was crisp and had a pretty light body and low carbonation.

This was a slightly below average beer for this style. Definitely not the worst I've had, but I was hoping for more of a pronounced lemon character than what I got.

May 09, 2020
RedbirdRona from Illinois

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%

I feel like this beer gets way to much hate. Yeah it’s not an IPA and it’s a macro beer but it’s great for what it is. This should be in every beer lovers fridge from June through August. Perfect summer time beer or whenever it’s over 75 degrees. Smell is candied lemons and some grain. Has a yellow straw color. Taste is candied lemon with a weiss beer finish. I think this would be better if more Weiss flavor was included and less artificial lemon. Overall, I can’t wait to have one of these this summer on a beach somewhere or on a canoe trip.

Apr 24, 2020
ASKasten

4.02/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Lemon is extremely potent (smell and taste). Visual is blonde and clear, straw-like. Very light and smooth, but comes across as watery. Sweet brew is great on a summer day, hence the name.

Mar 30, 2020
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

3.71/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A classic.

Pours a very hazy bright but the soft-yellow hue, quickly dissipating all-white head leaves this beer with mild lacing on the rim though very little remains in the center atop the beer. Quickly moving bubbles snap from the bottom leaving this beer looking more like a soda in its character.

The smell is a bit funky, with notes of sweet candied lemonade and a smidgen of yeast.

The flavor is similar to that of its smell, sweet candied lemons which leave a tart feeling but this shandy uses honey-wieß beer so you're left with this punch of wheat that unexpectantly sits on the rear of the tasting notes. An odd mix of sweetness occurs, though this is highly approachable by all drinkers - a lot of notes can be off-putting if this isn't fresh or poured on a clean tap.

Mouthfeel is over-carbonated, though I believe it used to be a lot smoother than this.

Feb 27, 2020
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

(24 oz can, NOV0419; purchased cold... poured into 28 oz mug)

L: incredibly cloudy (like NEIPA), golden-amber liquid; puts up a tall mat of frothy foam which starts to crumble immediately, but a cap does hold for awhile; thick ring of lace at the top

S: much lemonade at the fore but, surprisingly, the underlying aromatics of the wheat are very much in the mix... interesting balance, wasn't expecting that - I must say it is an inviting scent... with each burp, the lemon won't quit

T: lemon(-lime) soda pop up front, with the weissbier swelling up in the finish; the aftertaste shifts back to the lemon drink, with some fruity yeast and a muffin-like malt note hanging in the back... after the first sip, the weissbier, which is relatively full-flavored, barmy, and overall rather tasty, begins to assert itself more, start to finish... as I said above, the more you burp, the more the lemon creeps back

F: healthy degree of stealth carbonation, short of spritzy; its body is on-point for a wheat beer (hefe or wit), light-medium and frothy, bouncy up front, mellow cottony/cushion-y residual film...

O: I have had this once or twice, swilling from the bottle - drinking it from a glass definitely allows the flavors to open up more... I'd never noticed this had a weissbier and not a lager as its base... can't deny it, this is pretty flavorful and enjoyable; wouldn't avoid it outright (1450)

Aug 21, 2019
Urtravel from Pennsylvania

3.02/5  rDev -5.6%

L: cloudy yellow color with nice frothy head
S:fruitiness up front with very mild hops barely coming through
T: a bit too much on the lemon peel side for my taste
F: refreshing but a bit strong with lemonade peel taste
O: glad I tried it

Aug 09, 2019
HeyBeardMon from Michigan

2.26/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I can't figure out why this is so popular. I think mostly women drink this? I'm not sure. I've tried it multiple times trying to see what the big deal is. It tastes like beer with Lemon Pledge in it. There are so many good Leinenkugel's beers, go towards those.

Jul 22, 2019
detgfrsh from Texas

3.21/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From a can. Pours a yellow color with a small amount of white head. Lemon aroma. Light body with plenty of carbonation. Sweet lemon flavor with some grainy malts in the background. Refreshing, decent if you're outside on a hot day.

Jun 01, 2019
thehyperduck from Canada (ON)

3.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

473 mL can from the LCBO; dated Feb 1 2019 and served slightly chilled. Labelled "Lemon Shandy" for the Canadian market, and more than likely brewed at one of the M-C plants on this side of the border.

Pours a foggy, translucent, pale golden-yellow colour, initially capped with nearly two fingers of foamy, soapy white head. Within several minutes, it has been reduced to a creamy-looking collar and a thin, filmy cap; a decent coat of messy lace develops after a few sips. The nose is straight-up lemonade and sugar, with only the barest semblance of grainy, wheaty malt sweetness being discernible underneath the citrusy, lemony bulk of the aroma. Inoffensive, and lacking that off-putting dish soap aspect that some lemon beers suffer from, but it's not exactly setting up high hopes.

It's ok - that's the best compliment I can muster. It tastes mostly of lemonade soda, backed by a subtle note of wheaty, grainy malt sweetness that is actually most noticeable in the aftertaste, after the lemon has faded. Suggestions of lemon peel towards the finish, but that's about all I can come up with to describe this one's flavour profile. Light body with good carbonation levels that give it a crisp, satisfying bite; exactly what I want from this sort of beer. Bonus points for its sessionability and refreshing nature.

Final Grade: 3.26, a C+. Leinenkugel's Lemon Shandy is just tolerable enough to adequately perform its function, i.e. quench thirst in hot weather. It's the sort of not-quite-beer that would be fine to drink at a baseball game with limited beverage options, or perhaps after mowing the lawn on a hot day. Hell, just this past summer (when it first showed up here in Ontario), I tossed a can in my backpack and enjoyed it on a hike. I'd never refuse this if it were handed to me, but there are too many other radlers (and, to a lesser extent, shandies) out there these days to settle for this mass-produced mediocrity.

May 28, 2019
Imakoniver from New York

3.48/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Meh! There are better summer beers. It might be somewhat refreshing on a hot summer day. I would drink this again but never order it or buy it again.

Apr 24, 2019