Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 631 | Ratings: 3,499
4.65/5  rDev +49%

I poured this beer into a Hoegaarden Pint glass. There was little lacing, which immediately dissipated.

Flavor is mild and sweet. The flavor of a weiss beer immediately floods the palate. The lemon flavor is strong and sour. High marks for refreshment.

The aftertaste is all lemonade.

I just moved back to Illinois from California this summer. As such, I had know of the Leinenkugel beers, but had not tried any of them.

I was immediately thrilled to see that they a beer shandy. My college internship was in Windhoek, Namibia. There I spent many summer nights with my teammates enjoying Zebra, Sprinbok, & beer shandies.

Kudos to Leinies for bringing an unique beer flavor to the market. I enjoyed it with a little nostolgia & while listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album.

4.63/5  rDev +48.4%

Excellent summer Beer. Hint of Lemonade and Orange flavor with hoppy aftertones. Not a beer for the winter. But the hot 90° summer days, there is not much better!It is very easy to drink. The color is a nice cloudy yellow with a 1" white foam head. Out of the Leinies summer brews this is right behind the Sunset Wheat for me.

4.62/5  rDev +48.1%

I poured this beer this past weekend at Boise Beer Festival in Boise Idaho. I ended up having several of these over a few hours time. This beer was one of the most popular beers of the 200+ beers at the event. It was hot out so take that in count...

Appearance- hazy foggy yellow.
Smell-Lemon and hops
taste- Lemon and lots of citrus. there is a little hop showing in there as well.
mouthfeel- smooth lite and refreshing. It was creamy on a little level.
Overall- HEAVEN on a hot day. Seriously loved this beer...

4.61/5  rDev +47.8%

I bought a six pack of this a few years ago. I polished off 5 bottles in 25 minutes, before I realized how much I had. This stuff is evil! I've sworn it off.

It goes down too easily. It's best to skip it, if you're thirsty. It tastes more like lemonade, than a beer.

4.56/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow with a soapy white head. Lots of streaming bubbles and some particles floating about.

Smell is a wonderful nose cleaning lemony citrus smell that overpowers other smells that I may pick up.

Taste is a wonderful tart lemon snap. Taste reminds me of those lemon head candies I used to get as a kid.

Mouth feel is awesome! You take a drink and the tart forces your tongue to the roof of your mouth in a bizarre attempt to try to squeeze more out of it, and BAM the beer just disappears. So clean and crisp it really amazed me.

I am so happy the wife talked me into buying a six of this during our last Total Wine journey. And there will be many more of these coming home that is for damn sure. We live in Vegas where the summers get hot enough to burn the hairs off your nut sack and I can see a cooler full of ice and Summer Shandy going to the park and fixing up some serious damn BBQ!

4.54/5  rDev +45.5%

The appearance is a hazy, almost solid yellow, leaning slightly to an orange touch. The head is stark white and retains pretty well.

For the aroma, it smells of lemons, and a tad bit of malt (wheat, maybe?). Hop presence is just slightly noticeable, but it's hard to tell with the straight-forward lemon/citrus aroma.

The taste is primarily lemon zest, with some small sweetness, and a tiny backbone of malt- which to me, is hard to distinguish between barley and wheat. A nice balance, I suppose. Just bready and lemony.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of light, and the light side of medium. You really get a bite from the carbonation and the lemon zest.

Overall, this is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had, and I suggest giving it a try, especially if you like citrusy beers.

4.53/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer. Very refreshing. Lemonade is nice complement to the wheat. I could drink several of these on a hot summer afternoon or evening.

I would recommend that you try it. I think many of the reviews just missed the point of this beer.

My wife says it has a beautiful color (lemondrop). Very nice head. Lemon smell. Wheat beer initial flavor and nice lemonade finish.

Keep in mind that the kind of glass you use does make a difference in head, head retention, how it releases the aroma and ultimately how much you will enjoy it.

4.52/5  rDev +44.9%

I bought this beer by mistake, and I'm very glad I did. I've had shandies from overseas before, but this was the first I've had that used lemonade instead of ginger ale or Sprite.

On a hot summer day, you can't beat this drink. It is extremely refreshing, not a heavy beer at all. This is what you'll want to grab after cutting the grass or playing 18 holes of golf.

There is a strong flavor of lemon in the nose. Mouthfeel is very crisp, but not even slightly bitter. In the finish, there is a strong punch of lemon, but not so overpowering that you forget you're having a beer.

This beer will remain in my fridge until they stop making it.

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- a great lemony aroma, I rated this high because this is a shandy and it smells like one! Appearance- a healthy yellow color that belies the lemon. It looks like summer. Taste- if you are a shandy admirer then this won’t disappoint. excellent lemon flavor, with a hint of wheat and beer accents. Palate- just the right amount of carbonation, a light bodied beer. Overall- this is an excellent summer brew for those who enjoy shandy. If you are not into a crisp lemonade tinged beers then avoid this beer. If not enjoy this while it is in stock.

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

Bought this as part of a six pack mixer from Liberty Street Tavern. Great beer for a hot and humid summer day. It had a nice cloudy yellow pour. Had a nice head of foam with a nice lemon scent. The first taste had pleasantly sweetness to it but finished with a nice slightly bitter lemon. One of the better fruit beers I have had.

4.48/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had a bottle of this beer on a recent trip to Las Vegas. I saw it on the menu and had to try it. It was very refreshing and I ordered a second bottle. Goes well with any summer foods like bbq chicken! Not an everyday kinda beer, but an enjoyable tongue twister you should sample when you get a chance!

4.48/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

After hearing friends for 2 years talk about this beer I finally tried it. I am rather upset that I didn't try this sooner. The taste of the beer hits the spot on hot summer days. I never drank anything other then Miller or Coors but have ventured into other brands. This is so far the best that I have tried.

4.46/5  rDev +42.9%

I have had summer shandy out of a can, bottle and on tap. I would avoid having most beers out of a can, if possible (just a personal preference). Again, if you have read any of my previous reviews I am a citrus aficionado.

A- This beer is a bright yellow when poured into a glass.

S- The smell is lemony sweetness with a bit of a honeyish culmination.

T- It tastes of a citrus, lemon medley of fruit and a bit of maltiness that you pick up in the middle of your palate. I like to savor each mouthful of this beer and drink it on a warm summer day.

M- The texture of this beer is soft on the tongue and enjoyable.

I would recommend anyone that like citrus flavored beer to try this beer. You won't be disappointed. Cheers!

4.44/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had tried this a few years ago, but I didn't like it. It doesn't taste like beer. I considered it an error that this should be included in the category of beer. But after having seen the movie "Lemonade Mouth" I had been on a lemonade kick drinking everything and anything with a lemon taste. Precious got some of this at Costco so I thought I'd try it again.

It pours out a rich urine color, like the way your urine is when you're really sick. It's a cloudy yellowish color with very little head. The smell is a sweet lemony smell, and the taste is sublime, very lemony and very sweet. It's got a very light feel with a low alcohol content so you can drink a few or more than a few bottles while you're grilling on your deck on a summer afternoon and not worry about becoming sloshed. A perfect summer drink.

4.42/5  rDev +41.7%

I poured into a pint glass to a small white head after I finished mowing the lawn. It was a cloudy yellow color. It smelled lemony. It tasted like Blue Moon infused with lemonade. I guess if you're going to garnish wheats with friut you may as well do it during the brewing process. I thought it was very good and I apologize for the Blue Moon reference (not a fan). The Summer Shandy hit the spot on a warm day after some yard work. It is a very nice summer session ber.

4.42/5  rDev +41.7%

I loved this beer! As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell the strong aroma of lemon. Poured a hazy yellow with a thick creamy white head. The taste was definately lemonade with wheat flavor abounding. I found this to be quite refreshing while sitting by the pool on a hot day, grilling, or just enjoying the warm summer nights. This beer goes down very easy and compliments the season well. This is my second review of this beer... Now that the dog days of summer are in full swing I felt like this one needed a second look since for me the hot weather makes it even better!

4.39/5  rDev +40.7%

After drinking a Dubbel this certainly goes down like water. It is pretty pale looking and has a weak head and is not very cloudy for a wheat beer, but it is made by Leinenkugel :) Ok, well they still make some ok beers.

It smells very lemony and refreshing. Maybe it is a bit like household cleaners, but it sure smells good!

It has a very lemony flavor... Intense, but very clean finishing. I hate to say that I really like it. It is almost an alcopop, but the nice wheat beer finish saves it from being too sweet and girly.

It is light bodied beer that is super refreshing in my opinion. I could drink these all day long on a hot day.

4.39/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold.

4.37/5  rDev +40.1%

I love refreshing beers. This one is definitely sweet and citrusy, and is not for everyone. I enjoy it when I want something that is going to go down easy in the hot sun.

4.33/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I bought this on draft at local club on a whim, and the fact that it was $3 for a pint.

I was surprised at how perfect this beer was.

It tasted amazing and had the nicest cloudy unfiltered wheat beer coloring.

Just the perfect consistency all around.

And the sugar content wasn't too heavy either. I know a lot of summer beers like to load up on the sugars and fruit additives, but this one is just perfect from the keg.

Had it from a bottle later on in the night and it just didn't taste the same.

If you can find this on draft, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

It's just a very smooth drinkable beer and it really packs a punch in the flavor department. I tasted cardamom, orange peel and some other unique spices.

If I see this draft again it is my go to.

4.32/5  rDev +38.5%

This is a novices beer review: Its currently my perfect summer boat beer. Light and refreshing, and whats better than lemonade on a hot day? How about a lemonade beer?

I am sure as I get more into tasting and knowing the complexities of beer I will look back and laugh.

4.3/5  rDev +37.8%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges very hazy and resembles fresh squeezed lemonade with sugar. Slightly bronze but mostly very hazy and lemony.

Aroma matches the title of the beer; fresh lemons. Not much else, but I wasnt expecting much else.

Flavor is lemonade plus beer, just what a shandy is. A bit tart with some sweetness to match the tartness and make this an all around decent shandy.

This is much more convenient that a beer with lemonade added, and if I must say, this isnt bad. It doesnt taste like beer, but it isnt supposed to. A real easy drinker and not a bad "beer" at all.

4.3/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at a beer dinner that paired the Summer Shandy as well as the Sunset Wheat from Leinenkugel with an orange creme brule. The two paired amazingly with notes of lemon throughout the Shandy. Character that holds strong to both the Lemonade as well as the Wheat flavors that this beer is designed around. Keep this in the fridge for the ladies this summer!!!

4.29/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I have to go out on a limb here and disagree with a lot of reviewers here. I thought this was the best Leine's I have tried. I have a couple left, but I have had a good portion of their selection. Anyways, what I was most impressed with was the smell and taste. The appeance and Mouthfeel as debatable, but the mix of lime, honeydew and light citrus hops with a touch of sweet malt can really hit the spot on a warm day.

4.27/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance if Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a pale yellow color. The aroma of it is a lemon and citrus smell which i like a lot. It tastes like lemony beer as well and is very crisp and refreshing especially on a hot summer day. The overall taste and appearance is perfect for summer and really anytime. If you like lemonade you will love this. It does not have the typical beer taste to it.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company