Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,616 |  Reviews: 652
2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

This Radler poured with a bright lemon yellow hue that was capped by a fizzy, carbonated foam that collared away to nothing.

The nose is lemony, sort of sugary, with an obvious carbonated soda water.

The flavor is lemony as well but it's a sugary sweet artificial flavor. The finish is harsh and seems loaded with soda water, or Perrier like taste. I hate sparkling water and this reminds me of it.

The feel is so overly carbonated that it's harsh and prickly. It's almost too harsh to drink.

I drained poured this, because I should not undergo torture while drinking beer.

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a cloudy piss yellow colour that essentially looks like, well, a bit darker version of your typical lemonade. Eh.

The aroma is overpowered by an abundance of lemon. It's all lemon all the time. I got nothing else.

The flavour is more of the same: it's basically like drinking a glass of lemonade. I don't detect any hops, malt, wheat, etc. Just a lot of lemonade. This is a beer, isn't it? Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing, but not very beer-like.

If I wanted a damn lemonade I'd drink one. I wanted and was expecting a beer, and that's not what I got. I assume this is what those Hard Lemonade things taste like, and if so I don't know how people can consistently drink them. I enjoy the Leine Sunset Wheat. I was not at all happy with this one. Don't bother.

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

color looks like lemonade mixed with ice tea; sort of a golden hue with a brown tint to it..not particularly appetizing; has a nice crisp and fresh lemony smell but more like a lemonade smell than something i would associate with a beer; sort of tastes like a mike's lemonade but with less carbonation; yet i still think that is over carbonated; because of the carbonation it also has an odd feel in the mouth; very acidic and can really feel the bubbles on your tongue; almost like if you were to drink a soda...overall not too bad yet nothing special; i could see this as a beer to bring out at a summer party as it is not too complex, would probably be appeasing to most people and a little different than the normal macro brews

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of powdered County Time Lemonade before it is mixed with water. There is absolutely no beeriness to the aroma. The taste isn't quite so processed lemonade like, but there still is nothing beer about it. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this "beer' simply isn't for me. The only flavored beer I've tried that I think is fair to compare it to is Bud Light Lime, and if forced to drink one I would choose the Bud Light Lime.

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Color: Whitish, pale color, much like the color of lemonade.

Aroma: Strong but nice lemon wheat aroma. Seems more like carbonated lemonade than beer.

Taste: Lemon upfront that fades to a bitter wheat taste. Very much like bitter, unsweetened lemonade. Light. Somewhat refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Dry and sour at the same time. Unappealing.

Verdict: I really don't like this much. The aroma was nice but it goes downwards after that.

2.49/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Pours a two-fingered fizzy. white head on a cloudy pale body. Pour head retention, some lacing.

S- Smells like lemon juice...weird bread?

T- Taste more like a soda than a beer, Squirt comes to mind. Sugary sweet. There's this weird off-putting taste in there somewhere. Refreshing citrus aftertaste.

M- Very carbonated, would hate to puke this up D: Watery mouthfeel.

D/O- Points scored on the drinkability aspect, not the "overall" one...aspects evened out used for my score here. Made me burp a lot due to the high carbonation. If you enjoy this one, seek out the Potosi Steamboat Shandy, I found it to be much more enjoyable.

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Tounge feels like I just sucked on a lemon. Heartburn like crazy. Lay off the lemon zest

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not terrible, might say "yes" if offered it again, but I certainly wouldn't choose it for myself.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company