Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,612 |  Reviews: 650
2.81/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

4.05/5  rDev +29.4%

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Hazy yellow with an off-white head.

Smell: A bit weak, mainly citrus/grapefruit.

Taste: Initially disappointing, but it grows on you as you drink. Starts off really weak but grows to a medium flavored slightly bitter grapefruit.

Feel: Light, crisp, refreshing as any good radler should be.

Overall: I was initially unimpressed, but as I drank more the flavor body grew into a very enjoyable drink. I will no longer look down on people who drink this regularly!

3.74/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy straw with a medium sized fluffy head. The aroma is of bright lemon oil, some lemon juice, and a refreshing wheat quality. The flavor is simple and refreshing, dominated by the lemon with nice notes from the underlying wheat. The mouthfeel is light and fizzy. While I have had this Midwestern classic before, this is my first time thinking about and reviewing it. It is reasonably good and refreshing on a hot day. I see why it is such a blockbuster seller.

2.28/5  rDev -27.2%

3.21/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.31/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.86/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I find this brew rather pedestrian. Drinkable but not a top fruit brew. Too much lemon. Want fruit? Try a Sam Adams Porch Rocker or a Lancaster Strawberry Wheat.

4.01/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Smell is best, tastes a bit like lemon water-- definitely a hit or miss for some people.

3.38/5  rDev +8%

3.27/5  rDev +4.5%

4.44/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had tried this a few years ago, but I didn't like it. It doesn't taste like beer. I considered it an error that this should be included in the category of beer. But after having seen the movie "Lemonade Mouth" I had been on a lemonade kick drinking everything and anything with a lemon taste. Precious got some of this at Costco so I thought I'd try it again.

It pours out a rich urine color, like the way your urine is when you're really sick. It's a cloudy yellowish color with very little head. The smell is a sweet lemony smell, and the taste is sublime, very lemony and very sweet. It's got a very light feel with a low alcohol content so you can drink a few or more than a few bottles while you're grilling on your deck on a summer afternoon and not worry about becoming sloshed. A perfect summer drink.

4.05/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

When done right a shandy is a beautiful thing. The first time I had one I was at a LegoLand in Germany. Their flavor was lemony with a touch of heff, one of the best summertime beers for me hands down. Then there is this.

Looks- like a watered down American Lager. Dare I say Bud Light with a "is it supposed to be that color?"

Smell- there's lemon in here and they are not afraid to let you smell it.

Taste- I love Lemonheads, they have to be in my top 3 candies of all time(COAT?). You know that puckering your mouth does when you pop one in? Well this beer does it as well, but in a very disgusting way. Kind of like those old bitter beer face commercials.

Feel(s)- like it shouldn't be drunk by humans, livestock, or monkeys used in animal testing. Unless thats a more humane way of putting them down, the monkeys that is.

Overall this is bad beer, which is surprising given that I like almost every other offering I've had from Leinenkugel, including its cousin, the Lemon Berry Shandy. If you see any of their other Shandy's/Radlers grab one of those instead.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love lemonade and I love beer. Well I get both here so that you a really great. Not the most exciting beer in the world, but it goes great with a cigar on a really hot Texas summer afternoon. You might not gain any craft beer aficionado points drinking this, but it is very refeshing and just plain tastes good.

3.04/5  rDev -2.9%

3.67/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass
No bottling dates

A: Murky to the point of being opaque, very light pale yellow, large white head, minimal lacing. 3

S: Huge lemon, some wheat characters, decent amount of sweetness. Not much else, but I like it quite a bit. Like a wheaty lemonade. 4

T: Like the nose it's predominately lemon, fairly tart and some sugary lemonade sweetness. Sweet wheat to round it out. 3.5

M/D: Medium body, carbonation appropriate, very good drinkability although it's rather filling. 3.75

O: I know this beer gets crushed on BA but I actually like it for what it is, and find that's it's a nice refreshing drink on a hot SC summer day. 3.75

3.22/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

4.06/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I love this beer. Hate all you want, but it is damn good on a hot day! 12pk cans are a no-brainer

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company