Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,638 |  Reviews: 655

2.3/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is basically lemonade meets beer. It pours a hazy yellow with a head that didn't last very long. It was overpowered with lemons and I barely could tell that I was drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a crisp taste to it.

I personally think that lemonade and beer shouldn't be mixed, but I know of some friends that think the shandy is a great idea. This wasn't too drinkable for me.

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%

Well I'm not sure what to say about this one. A shandy is lager and lemonade mixed, and that's what this tastes like. The lemonade might not be the best (it tastes like powdered mix), and I'd like to see a hint more acidity, but I can hardly fault it. It's cloudy like lemonade (and actually has pretty good lacing), it smells like lemonade when you raise the glass to your nose, and it tastes like lemonade mixed with beer. And it's not overly sweet or overly bitter or overly acidic. So, overall it's fairly well done and nicely balanced. I enjoyed it, and I'd have another if I was at a BBQ or other warm-weather outdoor event.

3.21/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at Texas Arizona in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a rather cloudy pale lemon yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some bright yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of lemon citrus and adjunct grainy malt sweetness. This beer smells like the lemonade that is used in the making of it.

T: The beer is slightly sweet with a fairly moderate flavor of lemonade over a lighter flavor of grainy adjunct malts and just a touch of grassy hops. Minimal amounts of bitterness are noted.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Extremely easy to drink and refreshing, perfect for enjoying out in the sun of a really hot summer day.

3.05/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle Yellow-gold color: the look of filtered lemonade in lager beer.
Decent head for style.

An obvious lemon aroma and flavor. Better balance in the taste where the malt is also evident. Good sour/sweet balance.

O: a good version of the style. Fuller body and a touch more flavorful than most other radlers I've had.

3.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly strong lemon along with very light malts, almost no hops.

T: The taste is likewise full of sweetened lemons to the point that it's a bit overdone and not much else. The malt character is very thin and there's a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sour.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, the lemon flavor is so strong and sweet that this beer is the closest thing to a "malternative" beverage that I've seen while still technically being a beer.

3.42/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Bright yellow with a small white head.

S: Lots of fresh lemon going on here with a decent amount of sweetness underneath.

T: Lots of lemon going on here. Slightly sweet. Some pale malt in the background, but a lot of lemon; and, it's actually fairly refreshing.

M: Medium body with a good amount of tartness and dryness from the lemon.

D: Fairly drinkable on very warm days out in the sun. Quite sweet and probably hard to have more than one or two of, but not a bad offering.

2.99/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. Hazy and a lighter, golden yellow color with a thin, frothy white head to it. Decent lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lemon-aid, slightly lemony household cleaner type of flavor to it. Just a hint of a grainy, sweet, beer base to it.

The taste shows a little more of a sweeter, grainy, beer quality to it up front. The finish is all about the lemonaid with a tart, lemony quality to it.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. overall, it was a decent beverage but not a very good beer. I think I'd rather just have an actual lemon-aid.

3.08/5  rDev -2.8%

1.25/5  rDev -60.6%

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%

3.42/5  rDev +7.9%

Nearly no head and definitely no lace. Cloudy, chalky even. Lemon yellow color.

Strong lemon aroma. I've never had a shandy before, but I imagine this what it might smell like.

This tastes like lemonade mixed with a pale ale, which I guess is exactly what it should taste like. Hard to evaluate since the lemon is so dominant--from initial taste through the swallow and aftertaste. I would say that it is refreshing after walking 12 miles, it doesn't necessarily make this a good beer--just easy to drink. Soft drink carbonation but decently bodied.

1.5/5  rDev -52.7%

2.98/5  rDev -6%

Wow, am I ashamed & embarrassed! I am supposed to be a retired high school English teacher & a writer of some merit, but I CANnot tell from either of the below reviews if one of them was from a CAN. My local, in-person trader, tone77, to the rescue! We spilt the cost of a mixed 12-pack & he was gracious enough to pick it up & give me first choice of which six. The following review is definitely, unequivocally in support of The CANQuest (tm).

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "An Adventurous Taste Perfect for Summertime Fun."

I Crack!ed it open and CANducted the first inverted Glug in recent memory. This resulted in over a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head with excellent retention. Heck, it looked like meringue atop lemon pie filling! Why? Color was a cloudy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled like artificial lemons, too sweet to be natural. The CAN mentions "... with natural lemonade flavor added". Say what?!? Lemonade does not occur naturally, as far as I know. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, not precisely watery, but nothing to get excited about. Taste was like an interpretation of lemonade, like a mix packet that you might buy a cup of from some enterprising young kid during the summer. I am hip to the idea of a Radler, but until this site lists/recognizes it as a style, I CAN only judge it as a Fruit Beer. Its frutiness was sadly lacking. Finish was semi-sweet, but only because the lemon flavor gave it a mild tartness to cut through the sugary mélange.

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

I assume that the above was my CAN review (unsure), but I will give it a whirl from the bottle today (Sa, 12 March 2016).

From the bottle: "Brewed with pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."

Another accursed screw-top bottle! Death to bottles & especially screw-tops! I just let the beer fly into the glass out of frustration, but it di produce two-plus fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with great retention as a result. Color was a downright cloudy Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2). Nose had a candy-like lemon sweetness. I guess that is why lemons are prominent on the label. Mouthfeel was light, airy, but creamy! The taste was like lemon sherbet - lemon, but with a slight vanilla sweetness. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart, but not so overt as to be puckering. It would probably be very refreshing on a hot, humid summer's day.

2.66/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clouded, dull yellow body with a smallish, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Perhaps there may be some sweetish malt hints in there, but the nose is substantially made up of sharp scent of Lemon Pledge.

Taste: Light pale and soft wheat malts with a touch of honeyish sweetness with the vaudeville-like lemonade flavoring jumping in at a moments notice. Slightly acidic. Sorely lacking in hop character or bitterness. Finishes crisp and lemony with a thin, sweetish background of malted wheat.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: While I'm not opposed to the idea of beer blended with lemonade, this just has a repellent artificial quality to it. Less Summer Shandy and more of a Summer Shitty. Wait, am I allowed to say that?

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap at some bar in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

A: Served in a pint glass the beer is straw/light yellow in color, slightly hazy, with a one finger white head on top. Decent head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Reminded me of very strong and tart lemonade. It was very sweet and sugary, not much else came through at all.

T: Very similar to the aroma, lots of very sugary lemons. It reminds of cheap lemonade mix that I used to use as a kid, except this tastes like when you add WAY too much of the mix and a ton of the sugar sits at the bottom of your glass.

M: Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, the slightly sour twang is nice actually.

O: Honestly, better than I expected it to be, but still, a bit over the top in terms of sweetness and not very beer-like either.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company