Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 634 | Ratings: 3,511
3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured a very cloudy pale lemon color with a big, frothy 3 finger head that left a medium lacing throughout the drink
Nice lemony citrus smell-definately different
Light mouthfeel, the first hit is with carbonation and then the lemon takes over (again, definately different)
I passed by this several times, even after my friends at The Anderson's recommended it, but thought it was worth a try. I absolutely love the Sam Adams Summer and while I still feel it is much better, this Leiny isn't bad at all. I love lemonade and/or beer on a hot summer day and this is the best of both worlds.
Definately worth a try!

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

Just finished mowing up and decided it was time for a Shandy.

Poured at 43 degrees from a 12 ounce bottle dated 07237. Very light, cloudy and hazy with a suprising foam head and slight lacing.

Lemon with no noticeable malt or hop aromas.

No rocket science here so let us say light, refreshing, and easy to dispense when you are warm. Don't overthink this one.

Not a lot of compexity but does leave a nice mouth cleansing, lemony taste for a short time.

Would not drink a lot of these in one sitting but could be a choice for a day when you had other things to do later. Makes me want to ride my bike.

4.39/5  rDev +40.7%

After drinking a Dubbel this certainly goes down like water. It is pretty pale looking and has a weak head and is not very cloudy for a wheat beer, but it is made by Leinenkugel :) Ok, well they still make some ok beers.

It smells very lemony and refreshing. Maybe it is a bit like household cleaners, but it sure smells good!

It has a very lemony flavor... Intense, but very clean finishing. I hate to say that I really like it. It is almost an alcopop, but the nice wheat beer finish saves it from being too sweet and girly.

It is light bodied beer that is super refreshing in my opinion. I could drink these all day long on a hot day.

3.63/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a chilled pint glass

Poured a light golden color with a moderate head, minimum lacing but was still noticeable.

Smell - Lemonade, right off the bat. That was the first scent that I picked up. Almost reminded me of a Mike's Hard Lemonade malt beverage.

Taste - Very heavy with the lemon, with very slight - and I mean slight hops taste near the end. Just enough to remind you that it's still a beer.

Mouthfeel - I found the carbonation to really make this one. If it didn't have it, It would be weaker. This was a level above water feeling.

Drinkability - this would make for a last minute, end of a hot summer day session beer. Nothing really great about it other than the lemon flavor, if that is what you find to be really refreshing. There's better summer beers out there.

EDIT:

I wanted to revist this beer after some time has passed and clearly my palate/likes have changed it a bit. This is a perfect beer for a hot summer day, working in the yard or a solid bbq beer. Great example of a refreshing lawn mower beer and I'll be drinking these a lot this summer. Does it live up to being a Shandy, hell yeah it does. And it does it well.

4.33/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I bought this on draft at local club on a whim, and the fact that it was $3 for a pint.

I was surprised at how perfect this beer was.

It tasted amazing and had the nicest cloudy unfiltered wheat beer coloring.

Just the perfect consistency all around.

And the sugar content wasn't too heavy either. I know a lot of summer beers like to load up on the sugars and fruit additives, but this one is just perfect from the keg.

Had it from a bottle later on in the night and it just didn't taste the same.

If you can find this on draft, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

It's just a very smooth drinkable beer and it really packs a punch in the flavor department. I tasted cardamom, orange peel and some other unique spices.

If I see this draft again it is my go to.

3.62/5  rDev +16%

The brew poured a very cloudy yellow color, not allowing very much light to shine through. It had a bit of a small white head on top, that faded quickly. This brew didn't have much lacing at all.

The beer had a nice strong lemon aroma. Very much like lemons that have been sitting in the sun. Its dumb, its like sunshine in a bottle, the aroma makes you think summer right away. It has a great smell of a wonderfully cold lemonade. It seems to be holding true to the style.

Its apparent in the flavor of this beer that they have gone for. Its very much like the Sunset Wheat. It has a great lemon flavor that goes well with the carbonation levels of the brew. Its actually helps give this brew a great balance. Its a bit tart and sweet at the same time, making it very good.

The mouthful onl this brew is pretty good. I am not oen to drink a lot of vegetable/fruit beers, but this is a great one for the summer. Its has a thirst quenching aspect that is great. I would surely reach for this again.

Its a very drinkable brew, with a nice carbonation that goes with the lemon flavors. It goes down easy, with a bit of a tingle on the tongue. I will surely reach for it again.

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Hazy yellow color, glows in the glass. Pithy white foam rises and crumples back to a thin cap of bubbles. The aromas are of lemon rind and cotton balls. Taste is very nice, Like malted lemonade. Light clean biscuit malt with a tangy lemony finish. Nicely dry and light-medium body, very clean and easy mouthfeel, quaffable. Good summer pounder, its a very feminine beer but damn, don't I enjoy it on a hot day.

3.87/5  rDev +24%

This review will be on the product's merits as a beer but as a beverage in general. As a beer, this fails. It is extremely light with few taste characteristics of beer. However, it is not at all bad. It more resembles a mellow, less sweet lemonade. It is quite refreshing and fruity with some nice sweetness at first and then a more bitter/hoppy finish that balances nice. Quite refreshing and not at all bad for a hot summer day which is exactly how I am enjoying it. Worth trying for this purpose, not worth trying if looking for a great beer though.

3.41/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours bright hazy yellow with a foamy white head. Leaves a lot of lacing. Smells like lemonade. I don't have the greatest sense of smell but I'll be damned if anyone else can smell anything but lemonade in this. I like lemonade but I don't want my beer to necessarily smell like that and only that. The lemon flavors are real and pleasant. This kind of beer could easily go the way of Bud Light Lime, where it tastes like candy and not like fruit, but it doesn't. I still have a hard time picking out the beer flavors from it. Near as I can tell the wheat beer this is based on only contributes a foamy head and a bubbly mouthfeel. Clearly, this would be easy to drink on a hot day. But if I wanted beer, I would reach for something else.

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%

I don't see why people kill this beer. For those who complain it doesn't taste like a "beer" that is because a shandigraff is a combination of beer and lemonade; and considering that, it REALLY DOES taste like a beer - not winecoolerish in any way.

It is a solid session brew for hot afternoons in the backyard. To me, the lemon flavor wasn't cloying or artificial (as you might find with the Berry Weiss).

Don't compare this to your favorite IPA or RIS, have reasonable expectations, and you might just find that this brew is pleasing.

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

L- Hazy yellow body.

S- wheaty, lemonade

T- wheat and lemonade

F- smoothness with some fizz.

O- it's okay, not as good as I remembered. Great for guzzling on a hot day though!

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%

I've had this in bottles and on tap. I was first repulsed by it. But it has really grown on me. After walking 18 on a hot day it is pretty GD refreshing to whack down a few pints.

First of all it does taste more like lemonade than beer. You have to be really thirsty and be outside on a hot day to enjoy this hybrid beverage, otherwise it will seem too sweet. If are in mood for a solid malty beer, this will taste like lemonade and not satisfy you one iota & don't even bother.

It's not nasty sweet, fruity, or syrupy by any means. It's actually refreshing like lemonade. If you are thirsty you can knock down a few no problem w/o getting any nasty sugary wine cooler type filling issues. After 2 or 3 though you will be like "Okay I need a beer now that I've rehydrated myself."

But again it will just tick you off if you think it will taste anything like a malty/bitter beer. It is what it is and that is a refreshing lemonade type beverage.

2.99/5  rDev -4.2%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy 6pk bottles $8.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Freshness date painted on bottle neck.

Pours a hazy yellow color. A two finger white head that fizzles away pretty quickly. Leaving little to no lacing.

The aroma is wheaty, and lots of lemons with a touch of honey. The lemon smell is clean, doesn't smell fake or pectin based.

Taste follows the nose. A light wheaty taste, followed by a splash of lemons with a light touch of honey. Good and refreshing.

Mouth feel is light but not watery. Crisp, well carbonated and a light lemon tang will stick around for a while. Not too dry and not a tad bit bitter.

Overall not bad, just not my type of beer. Its crisp, clean and refreshing and i bet better on a hot summer day. However its mid April, not summer and this is already released? Whats next Oktoberfest in August? Anyway back on point, Hot day or not i would rather have a traditional Hefe over this any day.

4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

Presentation: Bottle, poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Golden, straw-colored hazy body. The 1/4 inch head is sticking with the beer quite nicely with some lacing.

S: Smells just like it tastes - lemonade and wheat.

T: Tastes like lemonade was poured straight into a Blue Moon. People may diss this beer because it tastes "cheap" and what not, but it tastes how it's advertised with no surprises.

M: Very smooth, doesn't have the sourness of some lemonades out there. The wheat is present the entire way. It mixes well with the lemon.

D: Great summer beer. I thought Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat took top honors out of this brewery but Summer Shandy is a close second when it comes to having a refreshing lighter beer.

2.6/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a light pale color with little to no head and a slight lace. At first you can smell a faint whiff of wheat and then the lemon dominates. The taste starts off like the smell with a taste of wheat to begin with and then the lemons come through and finishes with a bitter citrus aftertaste. The mouthfeel is sharp with a sour bitterness from the lemon and a good amount of carbonation. Lawn mower beer.

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

the appearance is similar to a liquid version of a lemon meringue pie. hazy bright yellow color with a, light spacey white head. im not sure of whether to wash my food down with this, or save it for after dinner. looks delicious.

a strong crisp lemon smell, with a little bit of wheat present.

the taste is lemonade with a hint of beer. you can detect a little yeasty taste. however its not that theres too much lemonade, its that the beer isnt strong enough to stand up to the lemonade with makes it off the mark. this would be an amazing selection if it were met with a stronger beer.

the mouthfeel is that of a "premium malt beverage". not very beery, but not really pop like either. but not what it should be.

good drinkability, but almost kind of off the mark of a beer. i hate to compare to bud light lime, cuz its not quite on that level, however its not quite enough to give it praise. caught in between.

2.68/5  rDev -14.1%

Hazy yellow color with a thin head that dissipates after a minute or two. Wheat on the nose with a soapy lemon aroma. Lemon flavor is predominant and definitely does not taste like fresh squeezed lemonade, but I wasn't expecting it to. More like Country Time lemonade. Carbonation is pretty good. All in all it is not a great beer, but it is pretty refreshing. I can't see myself buying this again, but on a 105+ degree day in Phoenix if someone handed me one I would certainly enjoy it.

3.07/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance is akin to white tea with huge fluffy white head that retains very well. Found out the hard way while pouring one out into another container for a round of disc golf outside in the summer sun. Definitely made me unhappy that I lost some beer.

Smell is very lemony and you can't really discern much else except a touch of wheat. Whatever, it's supposed to be a lemonade + wheat ale brew blend. Smells like it's described.

What a letdown. I was hoping for something brilliant for the flavor profile but what I got instead was something strange like a Mike's Hard Lemonade blended with just a touch of some wheat ale to create a slightly funky blend of flavor. Wish it could have been pulled off, I love beer and lemonade. Arnold Palmer was able to pull it off with tea. Will it happen with beer?

Mouthfeel wasn't 100% clean/crisp. A bit swirly and sometimes more head than beer. But most painful is that it has the same sensation that drinking a Mike's Hard produces.

Oddly enough, it's actually very drinkable and once I finished mine I was actually thinking about grabbing another just to follow it up with. I'd probably buy a sixer every summer just for the odd taste combination until someone managed to do a better lemonade-beer combination.

Appearance: This brew pours as a light yellow hazy wheat. The head is full yet not creamy. Lacings perceived. Pretty nice.

Smell: Lemon zingy! The intensity is about the same as one would expect hops in an IPA. I like this. Some sweet malt detected.

Taste: This is like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. I do not detect (to any major amount) other citrus flavors. The general wheat-sweetness is very subdued. Very light in overall presence. Very little (if any) hop bitterness. However, sweetness is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: VERY light in flavor. The palate stays clear. There is not the cloying sweetness of lemonade, however there is a residual malt sweetness. This is a GREAT selection for sitting around the pool in the summer. I approve highly.

Drinkability: This selection is very easy to drink. I would call this a "chick beer", but the lightness would go great on a hot summer day.

As mentioned earlier, this is most definitely a Radler.

Prosit!
Nikki

2.51/5  rDev -19.6%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks. This was my first "beer" and to me, is a good gateway beer for people who haven't developed a taste for that beer taste but want to.
Smells like a beer, plain and simple, but with lemon and citrus notes.
Tastes almost like a beer, but the beer flavor is drowned out by the citrusy lemon mixed in. Making for a more sour than bitter taste. moderate carbonation. Good for a warm summers day.

It tastes like a normal beer, but with a lemon twist. Good for those who want to get into drinking beers but haven't yet acquired the taste.

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good summer beer. When it is as hot as it is in Central Texas, you take advantage of these! This is a fun beer in a lot of ways - lots of citrus mixed in, so it's basically a beer-lemonade mix. I enjoyed it.

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%

From Notes

A: We have a hazy lemon peel color, with a off white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Ok we have some lemonhead smell along with a ton of sugary,
sweetness not much else.

T: Ok we have lemon soda water, and a weak one at that. There is also a bit of mineral taste.

M: This one felt weird, really syrupy, like a flat soda.

D: lack of carbonation, makes this one hard to drink, imo.

Thoughts- This one was a try at a shandy that was not all that close. I think I will stick to mixing my own.

2.87/5  rDev -8%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew.

2.94/5  rDev -5.8%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company