Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,653 |  Reviews: 656

3.12/5  rDev -1.6%

2.58/5  rDev -18.6%

I think this should almost be in the fruit beer category because of the strong lemon nature of this beer. Anyway this is what I think of it.

A - Poured a light hazy yellow looks close to lemonade big white head fades to an even cover fairly quick

S - Holly lemon scent batman didn't even have to get that close to be overpowered and theres a touch of wheat that fights through

T - Theres a lot of fake lemon flavor to this its like putting some country time in a wheat beer

M - The feel is actually average it has a lighter body with medium carbonation feels good at least

D - I don't really know about this one I don't think I can drink another full bottle of this stuff again I hope my wife drinks the rest of the six pack after all it was her idea to get this stuff

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

Bought a 12-pack of cans - easy drinking for a tailgate party prior to the Radiohead show in Mansfield. I have a few left over in the fridge so I thought I'd put a review in.

About a half inch of head right after the pour into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Cloudy as hell appearance, medium yellow color. Tastes like half lemonade, half beer..sugary aftertaste. It's not so bad. I don't think I would get many complaints if I had it available for a cookout.

At 4.2% ABV, it's very easy to pound a few without even thinking about it. Very refreshing, outdoor beer but not one I would recommend if you have a crew of craft beer lovers coming over.

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a fluted pint glass: presents very nicely, straw gold color with nice density and bright white head that lingers.

Smell is lemony, nearly lemonadey, almost too much so, but its refreshing; hints of wheat malt are there but feint.

Taste is almost exactly lemondade, tough to call this a beer but there is some malt/wheat flavors there.

Mouthfeel is slightly puckering heavy on the tongue in terms of sweetness, but dries in the finish.

Overall, this a suprisingly decent beer for the style attempt; if you have had shandies they are sweet and slightly malt; this nearly passes for fanta, i'd drink some after a long bike ride or day in the sun.

2.62/5  rDev -17.4%

Bottle Inspection: Weiss beer with lemon, 4.2% abv.

Aroma: Lemon pulp, bright and fresh, and a candy soda like Sprite. Lemon is really nice, and a mineral water background.

Appearance: Very hazy yellow glass with a thin frothy white head that gives loopy lace.

Flavor: What should be a refreshing light lemon drink quickly turns over to a worty sweet flavor with a white doughy bread yeast finish that tastes like Bud.

Mouthfeel: Light body, heavy carbonation, clean finish, not rough like wheat normally is.

Overall Impression: Be a malternative already! I love lemon and this just doesn’t work. I don’t like everything that’s not lemon in this beer. Maybe a different beer base would help, the Weiss isn’t doing it.

Thanks to Pegasus for the sample

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Juicy, light, inoffensive. Tasty and uncomplicated. I always give some extra points to a beer that suits outside activities so well. In this case, a Fourth of July concert and fireworks. Cheers!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Cloudy lemonade yellow. Short head that dissipates quickly.
S: Smells like dried lemonade mix.
T: Tastes more like lemonade than beer. I haven't had a Mike's in a while but would be curious to drink one side by side with this. A bit of caramel malt on the finish.
M: Nice, light, crispy.
O: Overall it's better than the sum of its parts. Not a complex or traditional beer, but a tasty summer drink.

3.81/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

2.39/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

2.25/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.11/5  rDev -1.9%

I've always wondered about these beers - how to pronounce the brewery name, if they ARE beers, etc. Luckily my pseudo-curiosity now may be quenched thanks to this lovely addition to a series I like to call...Free Beers From Work! Brewed with honey and natural lemonade flavor...what the?

Can pours into a pint a foggy yellow/blondish color..certainly looks a lemonade weiss. White head starts big, retains pretty well as a thick ring and spotty cap, leaves some lace.

Scent is straight up lemonade, lemon candies, slight cough drop vibe. Kinda amusing but not bad.

Taste resembles lemonade as well, that combined with the honey certainly makes it sweet, but not Mike's Hard Lemonade sweet. Tastes of wheat and bread give away the weiss base and remind you it's a beer. Some lager-like graininess, a bit tangy. Flavor is definitely light and kinda one-dimensional, but it's refreshing.

Decent mouthfeel, it's light but an alright body for 4.2%. On the foamy side carbonation-wise, small hints of alcohol.

Eh, not bad, but probably not the beer lover's kinda beer..has more in common with the fruity alcoholic drinks (mike's and such). Decent for a summer refresher though.

2.71/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade color. Medium sized, smooth, creamy, white head. Head disappears pretty fast leaving only a slight patchy lace.

S - Lemon juice/lemonade dominates the nose to a point where it really just smells like lemonade. And more lemonade concentrate than fresh squeezed.

T - Also dominated by the lemonade flavor but there is at least some malty flavor mixed in. Finished with a strong malted wheat flavor with the lemon dying off at the end. More malt comes out as I drink more but it isn't really exciting. Two note beer with them coming and separate times.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Refreshing and crisp finish.

D - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage.

Notes: Two notes hit you at different times and neither is all that great or complex. It does its job of being a nice summer beverage. Not overly tart or sweet. A good alternative to lemonade without being overly sweet. As a beverage, it has its place, but as a beer it is sub par.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

"Weiss beer with lemonade"

Isn't that a Russ?

Hazy, ghostly white in hue with a tint of yellow; white head, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Good head retention, the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap. Not much lacing, some unorganized clumps. Good appearance, overall...

Lemonade dominates the nose, as it should, I suppose. Clean wheat notes are noticeable once my nose adjusts to the massive lemon/citrus zest aroma. I can't really knock the nose; it says what it is suppose to say. I could envision, say, AB brewing something like this and either make it smell like a malternative or much weaker. Inviting for what it is... and yes, I do need to qualify my statement and dampened my praise.

The lemonade taste is not as strong as the nose indicated, which is okay. Wheat characteristics are easily detectable. I like the balance of sweet and tart. Clearly, the base beer is not a Bavarian-style wheat, it is just an American wheat ale. Modest wheaty-sweat-tart aftertaste, which was agreeable. While the beer is simple, lacks complexity, it does deliver the goods. I hated this beer last year... I was close-minded. Sure, it is not great but like I said, it delivers for a summer seasonal. I bet this would kill on a 101 degree day. I see why this beer is popular.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, good mouthfeel; I like the clean, cleansing finish.

I am surprised by how much I like it as a summer seasonal. Granted, I'd rather mix my own Radler or Russ but this would do in a major pinch. Nothing to freak out about, nothing to bash... it is a descent, gimmicky beer. I must say, Leine does brew 4 really popular wheat ales (largely, for the non-BA crowd)... Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat. They found their niche, kudos to them.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

Had this one many times but needed to do my review on it anyway. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours like a 'unfiltered wheat' that is a hazy yellow with about a 1-finger white head that goes away very fast with very little lacing. The aroma is of lemons (it's made with lemonade) and grain. Very nice but not over powering. The taste is very pleasant and smooth and is a great summer brew. No bitter aftertaste. A great beer that will never let you down. One of my favorite summer brews! Lighter+-medium bodied with good carbonation.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company