Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,614 |  Reviews: 650
3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Murky pastel lemon that looks as much like lemonade as it does like beer. Up top is a frothily creamy head of cumulus cloud white that sets off the color of the liquid beautifully. It doesn't hurt that the cap looks as good and leaves as much lace as your average hefe weizen. No matter what Summer Shandy tastes like, Leinenkugel has nailed the look.

Here's where it gets tough. Do I look at this beverage through my usual beer lens or through a shandy lens? The obvious answer is through a shandy lens. The nose is wonderful. It smells like lemon tart filling with a hint of wheatiness in the background. I'm going to check my beer geek bona fides at the door and say that this is just about the best smelling shandy that I can imagine.

If only Summer Shandy tasted as good as it smells, it would have been accorded legendary status among the Leinenkugel lineup, at least as far as I'm concerned. Damn, why couldn't they have figured out flavor as thoroughly as they figured out aroma?

I think the problem is that there's too much lackluster American pale wheat ale and not enough lemonade. I wouldn't mind if the base beer was of higher quality, but it's grainy and bland and doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. I'm sure most people will slam this beverage for being insufficiently beer-like, but given the various flavors at play, I'd like to see as much sweet lemon zestiness as is present in the nose.

The mouthfeel has been designed for maximum drinkability. Unfortunately, it's a little too light, bordering on frankly watery on the swallow. I liked the gentle carbonation initially. However, by the bottom of the bottle, it makes Summer Shandy feel blah.

I think it's pretty obvious that the determining factor in the quality of any given shandy is the quality of the beer (all lemonade uses a pretty standard recipe, after all). I hate to say it, but this brewery isn't known for the quality of its beer... which necessarily limits the quality of any shandy that they could produce. If Leinenkugel has determined that this stuff will increase their sales, more power to them.

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Wow, am I ashamed & embarrassed! I am supposed to be a retired high school English teacher & a writer of some merit, but I CANnot tell from either of the below reviews if one of them was from a CAN. My local, in-person trader, tone77, to the rescue! We spilt the cost of a mixed 12-pack & he was gracious enough to pick it up & give me first choice of which six. The following review is definitely, unequivocally in support of The CANQuest (tm).

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "An Adventurous Taste Perfect for Summertime Fun."

I Crack!ed it open and CANducted the first inverted Glug in recent memory. This resulted in over a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head with excellent retention. Heck, it looked like meringue atop lemon pie filling! Why? Color was a cloudy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled like artificial lemons, too sweet to be natural. The CAN mentions "... with natural lemonade flavor added". Say what?!? Lemonade does not occur naturally, as far as I know. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, not precisely watery, but nothing to get excited about. Taste was like an interpretation of lemonade, like a mix packet that you might buy a cup of from some enterprising young kid during the summer. I am hip to the idea of a Radler, but until this site lists/recognizes it as a style, I CAN only judge it as a Fruit Beer. Its frutiness was sadly lacking. Finish was semi-sweet, but only because the lemon flavor gave it a mild tartness to cut through the sugary mélange.

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

I assume that the above was my CAN review (unsure), but I will give it a whirl from the bottle today (Sa, 12 March 2016).

From the bottle: "Brewed with pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."

Another accursed screw-top bottle! Death to bottles & especially screw-tops! I just let the beer fly into the glass out of frustration, but it di produce two-plus fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with great retention as a result. Color was a downright cloudy Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2). Nose had a candy-like lemon sweetness. I guess that is why lemons are prominent on the label. Mouthfeel was light, airy, but creamy! The taste was like lemon sherbet - lemon, but with a slight vanilla sweetness. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart, but not so overt as to be puckering. It would probably be very refreshing on a hot, humid summer's day.

1.43/5  rDev -54.3%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again.

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%

I shared this with the mrs. -into a pint chilled.

The color is slightly hazy like lemonade golden yellow with rocky white cap that retains ok and has small beading. The carbonation is visible and lace sticks haphazardly. The smell is kind of lemony, but a little like lemon pledge without much beyond that. the feel is good with slight juicy citric bite and refreshing feel of semi-high carbonation with slightly clean and semi-dry finish with only a slight amount of sweetness throughout. Tangy and somewhat like lemonade in that it starts sweet and the tartness comes later.

The tastes is actually better than I expected with nice lemony and slight citrus peel tinges with slight malt flavor rounding out the flavor with slight astringent in the back of the throat like lemonade but the shandy maintains a balance of mild malt with tart lemon and seems to finish uncannily clean. Overall what can I say - I like this as a summer quencher and could probably enjoy this year round it is really decent if you enjoy arnold palmers or tea coolers depending on what you refer to them as. The malt is mild and the lemony flavor refreshes in a natural way. I consider this pretty decent for what it is.

3.8/5  rDev +21.4%

3.42/5  rDev +9.3%

A: The beer pours a cloudy bright yellow color with almost no head, just a few white bubbles.

S: Mostly just smells like lemonade. It actually has a nice tartness to it, as if there might be some real lemons in it. Slightly sweet/sugary, though. Not much in the way of the base wheat beer.

T: Not quite as good as it smells. There is a nice lemonade flavor, but it's a bit watery. Somewhat grassy with a bit of straw flavor. Like the aroma, there isn't much in the way of actual "beer".

M: Light bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Actually didn't mind this one too much. The aroma was much better than the flavor, though.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours out of the bottle a murky cloudy light yellow color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. It looks a lot like the liquid that comes out of one of those plastic lemons only this has a small head on it for a minute or two. The smell is pretty heavy on the lemon. There's a faint spicy wheat beer aroma deep underneath, but I mostly get lemons. The flavor is and odd mix of beer and lemon juice. It tastes like carbonated lemonade with a hint of macro wheat beer mixed in there. Medium to thin body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet and tart kind of mouthfeel happening. This one didn't really do it for me.
The lemony aspect of this I kind of enjoyed, but I think that the base beer that they used is just south of lackluster.

3.24/5  rDev +3.5%

The Summer Shandy to me is alot like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnov Ice or spikes countrytime lemonade. The appearance is yellow with with head. The nose is very lemony....not much else. The taste is a combonation of lemmon and grains. The mouthfeel is fine....too tart for me and wouldnt drink this stuff very often.

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

2.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy, cloudy whitish yellow with a thin lacing of crackling white head. It smells like artificial lemonade powder and grassy hops. The flavor is very similar; artificial lemonade, grassy hops, faint grainy notes. The mouthfeel is light bodied, a bit syrupy, sugary, but smooth.

This isn't nearly as bad as some other shandy-style beers I've had, but at the same time it's not good by any means. This is more lemonade than beer and artificial and sugary at that. I'll pass.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%