Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

3.17/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,625 |  Reviews: 655

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap this beer was a light golden color with a fluffy white head. It reminded me of a lemon meringue pie. The retention was only so-so though it did stick around as a collar and the lacing was scattered.The aroma was of lemons with hints of floral hops behind that. The flavors too were dominated by lemons but as it warmed up I tasted some crystal malt and a light note of bready malt. It started sweet but finished dry helping it to be a highly refreshing beer/shandy. The body was medium/light, the mouthfeel average and the carbonation a bit prickly.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%

3.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy lemonade color
Aroma-- Faint wheat and lemon zest
Taste--Let me preface this by saying that this beer was consumed after working in the yard on a 95-degree day. Tasted of subtle wheat and definite lemon. Light-bodied and very drinkable and refreshing.(Would have gone great over ice)
Let's face it, this is not a hard-core "big character" beer, but at 4.2ABV on a super hot day you can't go wrong with the "refreshment" aspect and "sessionability" of this beer. Pairs well with extreme humidity and thirst.

3.33/5  rDev +5%

It was a hot summer night... Meatloaf is ringing in my ears. Actually, it's a hot spring night, but the perfect time for something refreshing like a shandy. Tasted 28 May 2014.

Pours cloudy pale lemon-straw yellow. One finger of white head, fizzy. Okay retention, not much lacing. Looks like carbonated lemonade.

Smells like carbonated lemonade. Mostly I get lemons, with a bit of sugar to complement them. Not much of the beer in there, but I'm okay with that.

Taste starts well, when it's just the lemon, but then the beer shows up, and I'm disappointed. It just sort of falls flat, with emptiness where there should be flavor, and only a faint bitter twinge to even let me know it's there. I want it to either support or contrast with the citrus acidity more than it does.

Feel is good. Light, fizzy, lasting just long enough before it dries up thoroughly.

This is my first shandy, and I'm let down. Lemonade plus good beer sounds delicious. This is lemonade plus mediocre beer.

2.43/5  rDev -23.3%

This pale wheat ale is a cloudy yellow color and has a beige head. Poor retention. The nose has a mixture of grainy malt and wheat. The taste is light and has a decent amount of mild malts. A middling body is heavy on carbonation. Not the most drinkable in my book. Just too light.

2.25/5  rDev -29%

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

Bought a 12-pack of cans - easy drinking for a tailgate party prior to the Radiohead show in Mansfield. I have a few left over in the fridge so I thought I'd put a review in.

About a half inch of head right after the pour into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Cloudy as hell appearance, medium yellow color. Tastes like half lemonade, half beer..sugary aftertaste. It's not so bad. I don't think I would get many complaints if I had it available for a cookout.

At 4.2% ABV, it's very easy to pound a few without even thinking about it. Very refreshing, outdoor beer but not one I would recommend if you have a crew of craft beer lovers coming over.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

2.06/5  rDev -35%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a fluted pint glass: presents very nicely, straw gold color with nice density and bright white head that lingers.

Smell is lemony, nearly lemonadey, almost too much so, but its refreshing; hints of wheat malt are there but feint.

Taste is almost exactly lemondade, tough to call this a beer but there is some malt/wheat flavors there.

Mouthfeel is slightly puckering heavy on the tongue in terms of sweetness, but dries in the finish.

Overall, this a suprisingly decent beer for the style attempt; if you have had shandies they are sweet and slightly malt; this nearly passes for fanta, i'd drink some after a long bike ride or day in the sun.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company