Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 637 | Ratings: 3,530
2.83/5  rDev -9.3%

A buddy of mine drink this stuff nearly exclusively during the months it's available. He left the remnants of a 6-pack at my house, so I figured why not give it a review.

Appearance: Poured out a hazy, extremely pale yellow. Not unlike the color you'd find in homemade lemonade. The head was minimal at best, not even worth attempting a finger count. Obviously considering the previous statement lacing was non-existent as well.

Smell: Lemonade. It does actually smell somewhat like natural lemonade, which I suppose is a plus. On the flip side it doesn't give any hints or suggestions that I'm about to partake in something that could be considered beer.

Taste: Again it's a lemonade affair. I will say they've done a better job at flavoring this than some similar fruit beers, Cranberry Lambic comes to mind. It's a fairly pleasant, tart flavor. Behind the lemonade there is a bit of nondescript, bland wheat malt. There's also a smidgen of graininess.

Mouthfeel: The body is fairly thin, perhaps setting a foot into the field of medium bodied. The carbonation is surprisingly good. It's not the usual tongue prickling affair that I usual expect from beers such as this.

Drinkability: It's best to think of this beer as a nice, tall glass of ice cold lemonade. It works as a cheap lawnmower beer I suppose. On this hot spring night in Michigan it was certainly refreshing.

Overall, and I'm beating a dead horse at this point, this stuff is more like lemonade with a splash of beer than the other way around. If you keep that in mind it you may have a decent experience. If you are in the mood for something refreshing (outside the realm of beer) you may have a decent experience.

1.61/5  rDev -48.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance. Cloudy lemonade like appearance in the glass. Some head in the glass, about one finger.

Smell. Smells like lemon, not lemonade, more like Real Lemon lemon juice concentrate.

Taste. Dry taste. Obviously lots of lemons.

Mouthfeel. Carbonated. Reminds me of a wine cooler or sparkling wine. This reminds of the a malt based wine cooler rather than a beer. In PA malt coolers are solid at beer distributors while wine based coolers are sold at the state stores. At least that was the case back in the mid 80s when these types of drinsks were popular. I try never to refuse a beer, but i dont think this was a beer. I gave it to my wife and she enjoyed it.

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Tried this at Lamp Lighters in Palatine. Beer of the month apparently at this place. The color is a straw very light color. Smells of lemon and wheat. This tasted like lemonade on crack. Could only handle two before I switched back to some better beers. It would be good on a nice summer day when you want something light and refreshing.

2.77/5  rDev -11.2%

Got this beer in the Leinenkugel's variety pack. I had been looking forward to trying this one but was let down. The taste was like someone had taken their Sunset Wheat beer, but instead of the blueberry notes, they accidentally added some powdered lemonade. Much too sweet for my liking (and I though t the Sunset Wheat was very good, despite its sweetness). This tasted too little like beer and too much like lemonade.

It should be added that after my first one, I decided to mix this with the Berry Weiss (50/50) for something a little more tolerable.

3.57/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance:
Pours a muddy yellow color with a finger of white head, which dissipates into about an 1/8" topping.

Smell:
Lemons and sugar. That pretty much sums this one up. It smells just like lemonade.

Taste:
Lemonade and orange rind flavors with some sweet malt in the background. Lemony bitterness that doesn't really taste like it's coming from hops.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy and lightly carbonated. The taste lingers, but doesn't stick to your mouth the way lemonade would.

Drinkability:
During summer, this would be a drink of choice when I'm looking for something fruity. During the winter, I mostly take it out of my reserves to rebel against winter. As for being a beer, it... doesn't taste like beer. Still, great as it's own drink.

3.68/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

Obviously it's lemony. Perfect for a hot day - my reward after mowing the lawn! only complaint is the lemon flavor is a little chemically on the palette. Tastes a little like lemon "pledge" smells.
Avoid cans - bottle is noticeably better

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot.

2.97/5  rDev -4.8%

After a hard day of work I decided to raid the my dads cooler in his boat for an Icy cold one. I was expecting busch or miller lite or high life but to my surprise I found glass longnecks. I was puzzled but I grabbed one and my favorite beer glass to give this a try. This is my first Leinenkugel Product to try

Appearance: Lemony yellow (duh) I poured vigorously and got a decent head but it quickly faded into a slick on the top. Not much lacing but I wasn't expecting it to have much.

Smell: Lemon and more lemon. I got a slight smell of some thing wheaty but not much

Taste: Tastes like beer flavored lemonade. Not much of a beer taste in there. It is refreshing though so it has that in its favor.

Mouthfeel: Not much there, it is kind of foamy but doesn't feel like I am drinking a beer. It isn't an offensive feel but it is not on par with what I call beer.

Drinkability: It is smooth for sure. I am sure on a hot day when I don't want to drink one of my heavy imports I might reach for one of these, unless I am craving a BEER then I will grab a BEER. Just kidding it is ok but I wouldn't drink it around my buddies. My GF might like it though.

Overall it is not an offensive drink. It is still refreshing and tasty but it doesn't give me the feeling of beer. I am pretty impressed with this company for doing something a little differerent. I am never a fan of flavored beer myself but out of all the ones I have tried this is probably the best one.

2.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Lemonade beer? Good idea I guess. I would rather drink an Arnold Palmer with a shot of Grey Goose. Beer is pale light yellow. Of course smells like lemon and dirty dish water tones. Kind of looks like dirty dish water. They had this on a keg last year at a golf outing. I could only drink one. Too sweet, zesty and fizzy for a hot day. Upsets the stomach a little. Taste, sounds, drinks and feels like a soda pop. Sorry Leines this is your worst beer.

3.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Very refreshing...especially on this 95 degree SPRING day in PA!!! However, remindes me of "Mike's Hard Lemonade"...but better, actually. (Less ABV%, but that's ok!) Nice change of pace...but not for an old-time "beer-drinker." It's worth a try...especially in the hot months....but NOT a beer to have with the game...or with your old man!!! Smooth, refreshing, and LEMONY!!! Good summer refresher. Leinie does a good job...and they're very unique. Gotta give 'em that. Cheers and saaalute my BA FRIENDS! Happy summer '08!!!!

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never having tried this style before I don't want to be harsh. However having friends familliar with the style from living in Germany I don't feel so bad giving this review.
Aroma is "countrytime" lemonade mix. Not the drink, the powder. Very acidic . Pours an odd shade of milky yellow with a billowing cream head that lasts throughout leaving quite a bit of lacing. I cannot taste any beer in this. Its all lemonade. Very acidic and harsh. Quite a bit of carbonation in conjunction with the lemonade makes it more like a soda. I can see where they were going with this but just went overboard on the lemonade. If it was a more natural lemon flavor it would probably be pretty good. but this tastes very artificial.

3.57/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A : Pours a pale, hazy yellow. Two finger width of head that dissipates over a few minutes.

S : Very pleasant notes of citrus - definitely picking up the lemonade scent. Tad notes of wheat/malt.

T : Again, pleasant. Citrusy and lemony, quite refreshing. Can also taste slight wheat.

M : Light-medium mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, a very refreshing beer. I enjoyed this one.

2.39/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Light yellow color, with a decent head when poured into the glass. The taste of lemon is very clear. This beer is refreshing when served very cold and is good for a hot summer.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Hazy yellow with an off-white head.

Smell: A bit weak, mainly citrus/grapefruit.

Taste: Initially disappointing, but it grows on you as you drink. Starts off really weak but grows to a medium flavored slightly bitter grapefruit.

Feel: Light, crisp, refreshing as any good radler should be.

Overall: I was initially unimpressed, but as I drank more the flavor body grew into a very enjoyable drink. I will no longer look down on people who drink this regularly!

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade.

3.68/5  rDev +17.9%

Hmm? I liked this but it is certainly a departure. Some people may spit this out confusing it with a lemonade. You can smell the terpenes before you even get this to your face. The head was almost non-existent which could have been operator error on the part of the kids bartending. But all in all it was refreshing on a warm day which is its intention. It wasn't overly sweet even though it was incredibly flavorful and it didn't have the astringency usually associated with poorer versions. This one falls into the lawnmowers or daygame category alongside Samual Adams Summer Ale.

3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Instead of most summer beers which are a beer with lemonade flavor, this is a lemonade with lemonade flavor. More comparable to Mike's Hard Lemonade, minus the severe heartburn. This is very tastey stuff; potentially the most refreshing summer beer you can buy. I think it's great, although It's certainly on the fringes of the "malt beverage" catagory. The big difference, though, is no cloying sweetness or obvious sugar additives. I'll be stocking up of this for the summer months.

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

The shandy to me is a symbol of summer. I still look forward every year to seeing these guys on the shelves at the local liquor store. The color of the beer is a cloudy yellow with a white small foam head. This beer smells like a nice tall glass of lemonade to me more than a beer. The taste is more like a lemonade drink than a beer to me but I really do enjoy the taste due to the refreshing feel that comes with it. The name says it all this "beer" is definitely taylor made for those hot summer days spent on the hammock.

Definitely not a bad beer at all, but as I grow older I find myself more drawn to the hoppy citrus flavors than the straight lemonade approach.

4.44/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had tried this a few years ago, but I didn't like it. It doesn't taste like beer. I considered it an error that this should be included in the category of beer. But after having seen the movie "Lemonade Mouth" I had been on a lemonade kick drinking everything and anything with a lemon taste. Precious got some of this at Costco so I thought I'd try it again.

It pours out a rich urine color, like the way your urine is when you're really sick. It's a cloudy yellowish color with very little head. The smell is a sweet lemony smell, and the taste is sublime, very lemony and very sweet. It's got a very light feel with a low alcohol content so you can drink a few or more than a few bottles while you're grilling on your deck on a summer afternoon and not worry about becoming sloshed. A perfect summer drink.

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

1.7/5  rDev -45.5%

Unfortunately, in spite of my love for Leine's Sunset Wheat, I have yet to enjoy any of their other varieties. Although not as sickening as the Berry Weiss, this beer is no exception. It smells and tastes exactly like watered down lemonade. It reminds of Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I dislike, as it tastes nothing like beer. I imagine Leinenkugel is attempting to copy Radler (A combination of beer and Sprite), as this made me think of the Radler I drank in Germany. However, there is not enough beer flavor to this brew to make it enjoyable. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

2.84/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured an extremely light yellow color, probably due to the lemon and it has decent carbonation. The smell was sweet with a very powerful lemon scent. The taste was thin and smooth, with a strong lemon taste but also a grainy/wheat taste as well. This went down very smooth.

1.97/5  rDev -36.9%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back.

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company