Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,632 |  Reviews: 655

2.39/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.06/5  rDev -35%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

2.8/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Super hazy rusted yellow color. A fuzzy white head recedes to a good thick film. Light lines of lacing.

Aroma: Dried grass and lemon syrup.

Taste: A very straightforward taste of lemon candy and a bright seltzer kind of taste. Slight chalkiness.

Mouthfeel: Very chalky and carbonated, almost medicinal.

Overall: Heavy mouthfeel for a light, summery kind of beer. Too chalky, and reminded me of Lemonheads candy too much. Just not my thing.

3.81/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.06/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Hazy as all hell yellow with a stark white foamy head, poured from a can into a more slender glass than what I usually use.

S - All sorts of lemony with just a little bit of malt smell wafting around

T - Big lemon, little honey, not a ton else to reminisce on as far as traditional "beer" tastes go. Their was some tiny bitterness, but not (that I felt) from anything too exciting as far as hops are concerned.

M - A touch dry with not as much aftertaste as I thought at first. This was sweet as well, but not cloyingly so.

O - This one is a near perfect hot summer day beer that you can down several of. Not the best beer for a hearty experience, but hot and outdoors? Bring it on! Just make sure it's good and cold. Kinda goes funky when it warms up.

2.91/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

2.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Smells like the bottled lemon juice that comes in the yellow bottles in the grocery store, or in other words, kind of artificial, and not like beer at all. It also looks pale and sickly, like watery lemonade. Taste is very much lemonade like, and more so than beer. Granted this is not a good beer, nor , but it is easy to drink and summery.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company