Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,643 |  Reviews: 655
3.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy lemonade color
Aroma-- Faint wheat and lemon zest
Taste--Let me preface this by saying that this beer was consumed after working in the yard on a 95-degree day. Tasted of subtle wheat and definite lemon. Light-bodied and very drinkable and refreshing.(Would have gone great over ice)
Let's face it, this is not a hard-core "big character" beer, but at 4.2ABV on a super hot day you can't go wrong with the "refreshment" aspect and "sessionability" of this beer. Pairs well with extreme humidity and thirst.

3.33/5  rDev +5%

It was a hot summer night... Meatloaf is ringing in my ears. Actually, it's a hot spring night, but the perfect time for something refreshing like a shandy. Tasted 28 May 2014.

Pours cloudy pale lemon-straw yellow. One finger of white head, fizzy. Okay retention, not much lacing. Looks like carbonated lemonade.

Smells like carbonated lemonade. Mostly I get lemons, with a bit of sugar to complement them. Not much of the beer in there, but I'm okay with that.

Taste starts well, when it's just the lemon, but then the beer shows up, and I'm disappointed. It just sort of falls flat, with emptiness where there should be flavor, and only a faint bitter twinge to even let me know it's there. I want it to either support or contrast with the citrus acidity more than it does.

Feel is good. Light, fizzy, lasting just long enough before it dries up thoroughly.

This is my first shandy, and I'm let down. Lemonade plus good beer sounds delicious. This is lemonade plus mediocre beer.

2.43/5  rDev -23.3%

This pale wheat ale is a cloudy yellow color and has a beige head. Poor retention. The nose has a mixture of grainy malt and wheat. The taste is light and has a decent amount of mild malts. A middling body is heavy on carbonation. Not the most drinkable in my book. Just too light.

2.93/5  rDev -7.6%

Im not doing a full category by category review of this. Heres the deal. Is it refreshing? hell yea. Is it sweet? hell yea. Is it closer to Mike's Hard than a beer? Yea kinda. But it is a refreshing drink for a hot day and is what it is which is a weird style of beer and not great at that.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

2.06/5  rDev -35%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

07/28/2012
Very Lemony....Drank from a bottle, couldn't see much, but I imagine cloudy yellow.Normally I would not rate a beer this fruity, this high, but the lemon works very nicely for this summer beer.Strong carbonation; though artificial.Call me Crazy, I really enjoyed it. Great picnic beer. Ellie's 7th Birthday party.

2.91/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%