Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,643 |  Reviews: 655

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.06/5  rDev -35%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

07/28/2012
Very Lemony....Drank from a bottle, couldn't see much, but I imagine cloudy yellow.Normally I would not rate a beer this fruity, this high, but the lemon works very nicely for this summer beer.Strong carbonation; though artificial.Call me Crazy, I really enjoyed it. Great picnic beer. Ellie's 7th Birthday party.

2.91/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

3.06/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Hazy as all hell yellow with a stark white foamy head, poured from a can into a more slender glass than what I usually use.

S - All sorts of lemony with just a little bit of malt smell wafting around

T - Big lemon, little honey, not a ton else to reminisce on as far as traditional "beer" tastes go. Their was some tiny bitterness, but not (that I felt) from anything too exciting as far as hops are concerned.

M - A touch dry with not as much aftertaste as I thought at first. This was sweet as well, but not cloyingly so.

O - This one is a near perfect hot summer day beer that you can down several of. Not the best beer for a hearty experience, but hot and outdoors? Bring it on! Just make sure it's good and cold. Kinda goes funky when it warms up.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%

3.39/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light lemony yellow color with short lived white cap.

Light aroma that reminds me of peach/apricots. I know it's lemon (brewer says so) but I get peach blossoms.

Tastes like a simple wheat beer sweetened with honey and spiked with lemon slices. I say honey because the brewer says honey is used but this brew isn't particularly sweet, nor is it particularly tart which one expects from lemon. Perhaps the honey is used to offset the lemon but the combination is a good one here keeping everything in balance.

Texture is light and sprightly.

I think I get a hint of mild hop flavor in the aftertaste but all the rest is honey lemon. Sounds icky but this brew is very well balanced.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

2.87/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Treacle. Dislike flavored, sweetened coffees as much as most flavored beers. If I want lemon or lemonade or any other kind of fruit essence or juice in my beer - why would I not add it myself?!?!?!

2.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Smells like the bottled lemon juice that comes in the yellow bottles in the grocery store, or in other words, kind of artificial, and not like beer at all. It also looks pale and sickly, like watery lemonade. Taste is very much lemonade like, and more so than beer. Granted this is not a good beer, nor , but it is easy to drink and summery.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company