Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 636 | Ratings: 3,521
3.09/5  rDev -1%

The idea of lemonade and light beer is interesting. I can see real lemonade and a light beer would be good together. I'll have to try that one day.

Leinenkugels version is a decent attempt.

Color is a dull yellow. Frothy head. Lots of carbonation which lends to it's soda like taste.

Smell is lemony and light beerish. Strong sent of lemon and grains.

Mouth feel is thin and soda like. Probably from the high carbonation.

Taste has an artificial lemonade taste. Mixed with a grainy finish. The less beer adventurous should love it. Almost no aftertaste other than a little lemon back end. The bottle says it's a weiss beer but I'm not really getting that from it. More like a cheap light beer with lemonade. I'll have to try regular Leinenkugels and see how it compares.

Overall it's a nice drink for summer. BBQ's or at the golf course. I don't see it as a sessional drink. But it is light and refreshing. Would be good on a hot day.

2.27/5  rDev -27.2%

A very dull, overly sweat beer. Low ABV and very small amount of hops. Not a great beer for me, my neighbor loves it thought, so you very well may as well! It really tastes very lemony, but not subtle lemon like some beers I have had that are brewed with lemon rind, more like it was cut with lemonade or they used a very potent lemon extract.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

2.11/5  rDev -32.4%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

2.91/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

3.68/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

this one is probably a bit underrated here on BA. its got a pale hazy yellow glow, with a sudsy white head aver an inch tall. the nose is akin to a decent Berliner Weiss, lactic and tart, while also lemony and light. it feels less like a half lager half lemonade than it does a brewed beer with lemon, its zesty and acidic, refreshing and light, very fresh, and the lemon presence is huge here. its got a nice drinkability, and is very easy down. good bubbles, minimal body, although not soda-like as some can be. I love how real the lemons taste, not artificial at all, and I think the proportions are right. ive been recently appreciating the shandy style, and this one is sort of the original in the united states. I like it much better than many other leiny offerings, and would be happy to have this constantly on deck all summer, especially in the mornings and early afternoons. really this is pretty good.

2.3/5  rDev -26.3%

With their cheesy commercials, Leinenkugel's presents a beer that we're supposed to find refreshing and that we're supposed to find fun. It is refreshing but it's not very fun. Mainly, it's just cheap beer flavored with lemons. I asked the bartender to take it back, and he did, understanding that he was only setting me up for disappointment when he gave it to me in the first place.

And that's pretty much it. Don't expect complexity. It will quench your thirst, sure, but at around $8.99/six pack, you're essentially getting a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

It's sweet, it has overpowering lemon flavor, and it kind of tastes like beer. It's a beer for people who don't like beer, and Leinenkugel's will try to make you feel good about drinking it.

2.43/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a hazy, chalky, burnt yellow with a very fizzy bright white head that quickly faded into a thin film.
S: Huge sweet notes of lemonade and Sprit. Faint notes of wheat and chalky bready yeast poke through, but for the most part this is an onslaught of sugar and lemon syrup.
T: Thankfully way more of the base beer comes through in the taste. Run of the mill witbier flavors of wheat, dry grains, chalk, and bread come through next to synthetic flavors of sugary lemon candy and mineral water. Very light flavors all-around. Juicy lemon finish but a medicinal kind of syrupy lemoness lingers after the swallow.
M: Ultra frothy carbonation foams up in my mouth and takes away from this beers drinkability. Medium-light body but a foamy, soft and airy mouthfeel.
O: Could be worse but just too synthetic and soda-like for me to love. Really does taste like sprit lemon aid. Carbonation is distracting.

3.56/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce longneck twisty cap into a Shaker pint glass. A moderate pour produces about 1/2 inch of creamy white head, which dissipates quickly but still coats the sides of the glass. I see myriad swirls of carbonation dimly through the hazy, yellowish-orange brew. The beer really looks like liquid lemon meringue pie.

I can definitely smell lemon with perhaps a bit of corn mash and a whiff of aromatic hops. Very distinct lemon taste on the tongue- it actually tastes like real lemon. Despite the fruity flavor, a light malt taste shines through, along with a kiss of earthy hops. The body is light, yet the mouth feel is creamy. I think maybe the beer could use more bitterness provided by some hops with a light citrusy character, which would compliment the lemon quite well.

This is about the best commercial shandy I've tried. I really like this as a lunch beer when the weather gets hot.

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

3.36/5  rDev +7.7%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

3.69/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Frothy white head is thick at pour. Fizzy yellow in color. Sparse lacing.

S: Lemon dominates a refreshing wheat smell.

T: Wheat flavor up front quickly turns to a strong lemon presence (expected).

M: Fizzy. But still refreshing on a warm afternoon.

O: Sessionable if you can handle the constant barrage of lemonade.

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A hazy blonde, that is quite cloudy. Not a very pleasing color.

S: Just kind of like a yeasty, sweet smelling "beer", but that is it. It is a very flat smell.

T: Slightly sweet with just a tinge of lemon in there. There is the standard beer taste in there but it is very flat and mild.

M: Almost no carbonation, with a barely perceptible bit of it at the end in the form of a few light tiny bubbles that seems to just brush your tongue like a feather.

O: I got this after trying Fentiman's Shandy, which I got because I had heard of this Shandy and looked up the style. Fentiman's is sweet and tastes almost like a cola, but this is more towards the beer and lemon side of it.

3.16/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

16 oz can poured into a shaker pint glass. Best before Jun1013. Batch stamp F01140030

Appearance: Very cloudy / translucent light yellow beer with a bone white head that died down slowly over time to leave just a thick ring at the edge. Some initial lacing, but gone by about halfway through the beer.

Smell: Grainy, with a hint of lemonade to it.

Taste: Light, crisp. Very much like a light beer mixed with lemonade. Crisp and clean malt up front, then that lemonade sweetness in the middle, and a mild lemon tart finish. Tasty enough.

Mouthfeel: Lightly fizzy, with some of the stickiness and juiciness you would expect from a lemonade mixed with a beer.

Overall / Drinkability: I think this is pretty close to being a real shandy - just wish the beer had more backbone to it and then I think it would be a more interesting beer rather than just an average one. However, I will give it high marks for being quite drinkable and refreshing. Otherwise nothing special.

4.67/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Never heard of this beer until I moved to Omaha. Some guests left it behind at my hotel so I decided to try it. My first drink made me smile. It was not what I expected when drinking a beer. The bubbles reminded me of a soda pop, lemon and orange. Easy to drink. Found just in time to kick off summer.

2.69/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a snifter

A: Light gold. A white half finger head that turned to a silky covering of tiny bubbles. Great lacing.

S: Lemons, light, zesty, fresh.

T: Kinda dry. Flat, watered down lemonade. Lemons should be stronger. Great lemon belches, though.

M: Medium, dry. Frothy carbonation.

O: Not impressed. The smell far outweighs the taste. Almost like a Michelob Ultra.

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is really interesting - a bright, opaque yellow. There is about a finger-width of foamy head, but it disappears fairly quickly - typical for a citrus beer.

Smell is dominated by lemon, not much else going on there.

Taste is very tart and lemon. It is pretty pleasant for a warm day, but not much "beer" flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice, great amount of carbonation and a very dry finish. Very easy to drink.

Overall, this is my wife's favorite beer and I can see why - it is easy to drink and extremely refreshing. I also like that it isn't overly sweet. I'm more of a fan of subtle fruit beers, however, and the lemon is a bit overpowering for me.

This a great drank ! An A rating for sure, this not a beer but this type of beer usually has mixed with citrus-flavor, lemonade, cider . It is great on hot summer days, Laying on the beach, boating if you are not driving.If you are looking for IPA, pilsner, or sout this beer is not for you.

Appearance is a yellow, orange . The head is retains well.

Smells : lemons, and a some bit of malt and hops

TAste: It taste like lmeons malts and hops. It is very nice balce to it.

Mouthfeel: Is has a great mouthfeel . It is on the light side of medium.

Overall: A great beer to refresh your mouth on a summer day . I am glad six pack of this last night. I will be buying more of this beer in future. Ths is a grea beer!

2.65/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - Cloudy yellow pour with a thin white head. Looks like a margarita...

S - Scents of lemon, light grains and floral scents. Unfortuantely the lemon smell is to much like cleaning solvent.

T - Refreshing and a fun witbier but this goes too far to the Mike's Hard Lemonade route and is more tart and sweet than subtle. I like lemon but this is a bit artificial.

M - On a warm day this would be refreshing. In that vein this does the trick. But it is barely what I'd call beer. Too much lemon flavoring.

O - For the non beer beer drinker this may be a fun thing to try. Craft enthusiasts should pass.

3.38/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a bad beer.. just a bit too strong on the lemon. Best described as an Cream Ale with a strong lemon addition.

Proved to be overly tart lemony and with little sweetness.. Closer to a dry Mikes Hard lemonade than a Lager or an Ale.

I can see it being a good summer beer or a beer for someone that normally doesn't drink beer. For me though I think I will pass next time.

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

I've heard a lot of take about this but everyone has a different taste. This taste like lemonade and if you're a fan of Smirnoff you would probably prefer this because it is manageable taste wise if you're not a big fan of the sweetness in the Smirnoff. I could probably drink more than a few, i.e. manage a six pack, without feeling sick. I would accept this drink but probably not buy it personally just because it's not my "cup of tea."

4.27/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance if Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a pale yellow color. The aroma of it is a lemon and citrus smell which i like a lot. It tastes like lemony beer as well and is very crisp and refreshing especially on a hot summer day. The overall taste and appearance is perfect for summer and really anytime. If you like lemonade you will love this. It does not have the typical beer taste to it.

3.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at Texas Arizona in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a rather cloudy pale lemon yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some bright yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of lemon citrus and adjunct grainy malt sweetness. This beer smells like the lemonade that is used in the making of it.

T: The beer is slightly sweet with a fairly moderate flavor of lemonade over a lighter flavor of grainy adjunct malts and just a touch of grassy hops. Minimal amounts of bitterness are noted.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Extremely easy to drink and refreshing, perfect for enjoying out in the sun of a really hot summer day.

2.42/5  rDev -22.4%

Enjoyed from a bottle

A: Hazy, pale, yellow. Some streaming bubbles, two fingers of a white head.

S: Lemon, some white bread

T: Lemon up front, bready, with the slightest hint of booze and bitter, the finish is kind of boring yet refreshing.

M: light, dry, low carbonation

O: Not big on flavored beers. To much lemon, not enough depth. Kind of boring and bland. Not terrible, it's drinkable and solid for what it is. For a hot summer day it'd be nice. I mostly drink it in summer on the boat. If your new to beers and don't necessarily like beer all that much TRY IT!

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I've been seeing a lot of this stuff lately, all the stores are getting rid of it for the winter cheap as hell, and it feels slightly off drinking one of these in the middle of December, but it works. Glad I could finally just sit down and review it, although this beer is ideal for a party.

A - Pale, boring, carbonated straw looking color. Kind of murky, swampy looking. Nice clean white head on top, though.

S - Smells kind of like a lot of wheat with a little lemons. Like someone just poured lemonade into your Miller Lite. Doesn't smell bad or off-putting, just doesn't smell very genuine to me.

T - Watery, alcoholic lemonade taste. This is a beer that would probably go over well with people who are not big beer drinkers or big fans of beer in general. Kind of on the borderline with being almost more akin to a wine cooler than a beer. There is a zesty, fresh lemon taste, but again it just doesn't taste genuine to me at all. It gives off that "mass produced" vibe.

M - Carbonated. Probably way more than it should be. This beer does have a high drinkability, with a nice moderate 4.2% abv, but the high carbonation just leaves me feeling bloated.

Overall, not great, but worse beers do exist. A good starter beer I suppose for people who are looking to rage, and for those who don't like beer maybe that wanna try something different.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy ---3/5