Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 3,625 |  Reviews: 655

2.25/5  rDev -29%

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

4.25/5  rDev +34.1%

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

2.11/5  rDev -33.4%

I drank this directly out of the bottle around a campfire.

A- Since it was out of the bottle, I am scoring it AVERAGE.

S- I did take a whiff of it in the bottle and it was like lemony window cleaner. Just an awful combination of chemicals and grain. It wasn't a refreshing smell, but more of a lingering odor of a post-HazMat cleanup.

T- ew. I don't want to drink this. Lemony windex and corn. It fills my head with something I don't want, but I can't seem to get it out! It tastes like a really bad hefe mixed with Country Time Lemonade and salt. Why is it salty?!

M- It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel which is probably what they were looking for.

O- If you're presented with this at a BBQ this summer, pass. Grab a Coke or 7up instead

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

2.91/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

3.68/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

this one is probably a bit underrated here on BA. its got a pale hazy yellow glow, with a sudsy white head aver an inch tall. the nose is akin to a decent Berliner Weiss, lactic and tart, while also lemony and light. it feels less like a half lager half lemonade than it does a brewed beer with lemon, its zesty and acidic, refreshing and light, very fresh, and the lemon presence is huge here. its got a nice drinkability, and is very easy down. good bubbles, minimal body, although not soda-like as some can be. I love how real the lemons taste, not artificial at all, and I think the proportions are right. ive been recently appreciating the shandy style, and this one is sort of the original in the united states. I like it much better than many other leiny offerings, and would be happy to have this constantly on deck all summer, especially in the mornings and early afternoons. really this is pretty good.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

2.3/5  rDev -27.4%

With their cheesy commercials, Leinenkugel's presents a beer that we're supposed to find refreshing and that we're supposed to find fun. It is refreshing but it's not very fun. Mainly, it's just cheap beer flavored with lemons. I asked the bartender to take it back, and he did, understanding that he was only setting me up for disappointment when he gave it to me in the first place.

And that's pretty much it. Don't expect complexity. It will quench your thirst, sure, but at around $8.99/six pack, you're essentially getting a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

It's sweet, it has overpowering lemon flavor, and it kind of tastes like beer. It's a beer for people who don't like beer, and Leinenkugel's will try to make you feel good about drinking it.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%