Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,637 |  Reviews: 655
3.57/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a great summer beer. It pours out a straw yellow and clear. The beer has a moderate head that quickly dissipates. The bouquet was slightly heavy on the lemon side. The citrus component keeps that alcohol in check, leaving a pleasant scent on the mind.

The taste was lemonadey, the body was light with nice mouthfeel. Easy drinkin', refreshing on the hot dog days of a PA august.

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%

I went into this just hoping that the Summer Shandy would be better than the disastrous Sunset Wheat. Here goes:

The appearance of this one is so different from everything else - it's incredibly opaque and pale colored, like a butterscotch lollipop. The head is white and foamy. In the nose you can easily notice wheat, and the zesty, sugary lemonade. That's what you taste, too - lots of citrus, and enough lemonade to be pretty refreshing. In the mouth it's OK, a little dry. Overall, it's not what a serious beer drinker wants, but it does the job it's set for, and it goes down really easy. Maybe you wouldn't want more because it's not very interesting.

1.35/5  rDev -57.4%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

3.12/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz bottle (as pictured above): part of the "Summer Beers - International Collection/Beers from Around the World". Thanks to Brandy for bringing this up with her. The label describes it as "weiss beer with lemonade" and that's what it is.
Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color, with a very thin and soapy looking white head. Strong smell of lemonade - as a shandy should smell I suppose. Not much flavor in the beer itself, as the lemonade is the dominate taste. Some wheat flavor, especially in the aftertaste.
Light and easy to drink, nothing too overpowering. A bit watery without much body, but that it how it is meant to be. Light, refreshing, designed for a hot summer day. Intersting and decent, not great and not terrible either.

4.39/5  rDev +38.5%

After drinking a Dubbel this certainly goes down like water. It is pretty pale looking and has a weak head and is not very cloudy for a wheat beer, but it is made by Leinenkugel :) Ok, well they still make some ok beers.

It smells very lemony and refreshing. Maybe it is a bit like household cleaners, but it sure smells good!

It has a very lemony flavor... Intense, but very clean finishing. I hate to say that I really like it. It is almost an alcopop, but the nice wheat beer finish saves it from being too sweet and girly.

It is light bodied beer that is super refreshing in my opinion. I could drink these all day long on a hot day.

3.12/5  rDev -1.6%

Glass – Pint

A – Pours a pale, cloud yellow color that looks more like murky yellow-chalk water than a pale wheat shandygaff. Head is soapy in appearance and a slight off white color (may be my lighting?)

S – Smells like lemonade with a hint of alcohol.

T / M – Tastes off-wheat with carbonated sour lemonade. The mouthfeel is crisp and light.

D – Not my style, but could easily kick a few of these back, especially on a hot day.

4.42/5  rDev +39.4%

I loved this beer! As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell the strong aroma of lemon. Poured a hazy yellow with a thick creamy white head. The taste was definately lemonade with wheat flavor abounding. I found this to be quite refreshing while sitting by the pool on a hot day, grilling, or just enjoying the warm summer nights. This beer goes down very easy and compliments the season well. This is my second review of this beer... Now that the dog days of summer are in full swing I felt like this one needed a second look since for me the hot weather makes it even better!

2.01/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance - Cloudy yellow. Tall white head that quickly recedes. Certainly doesn't look bad.

Smell - Lemon aroma overpowers everything else. Smells a little artificial, like a lemon dish soap. Not entirely unappetizing though.

Taste - Just like the smell, the taste of lemon overpowers any underlying beer flavor. Maybe just a hint of sweet malt pokes through in the beginning. The lemon in this does not strike me as a "lemonade" flavor. More like lemony dishwater.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Seems flat.

Drinkability - Leine's used to have some cachet. Now it seems like they're just trying to bridge the gap between Miller Lite and Smirnoff Ice. For this reason, I feel like a tool when I have one of these in my hand.

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Poured a cloudy yellow with a very thin pale white head. Very low carbonation had the head disappear very quickly.

S: Very strong in the smell of lemons. Considering that this is a shandy it does have the aroma of lemonade.

T: Not much in the flavor of beer at all. Lemonade flavoring dominates this beer. Not along the same lines as a hard lemonade but none the less a nice alternative taste to such drinks.

M: Very easy on the taste buds and smooth going down. Quite watery however with no real body.

D: It's ok and maybe worth once in a while on a nice summer day. But I would not buy this on a regular basis even if I could.

3.87/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance - cloudy and foamy on the way out. Looks pretty much like lemonade with a head! It has a little head retention but doesn't completely cover the surface.

Aroma - I can smell the lemonade immediately on the pour. After a minute or so, some basic but legit grain is there, too. Smells good!

Taste - well...it's lemonade and beer. That's what it tastes like. The lemon pretty much dominates but some wheaty beer-like flavor is present.

Mouthfeel - bubbly, light, crisp, quite refreshing.

Drinkability - a fine pick on a hot day. This is different, tasty, and a nice break from the norm. It has the sweetness that you might associate with alcopop but the lemonade does a nice job of separating itself from that group at least a little bit.

4.15/5  rDev +30.9%

This is a really surprisingly tasty beer. I had one straight out of a bottle at a party and liked it so much I wanted to give it a real taste at home. The ale taste is low end but the lemonade flavor perks it right up and makes this a very drinkable beer.

3.18/5  rDev +0.3%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy pours billowy white head over a cloudy
yellow brew. The nose is sharp lemon meringue, and the flavor is bright
creamy lemon with a bit of grain in the finish. I was expecting something
diabolical, but it's really quite drinkable. The mouthfeel is surprisingly
round, and there's a nice balance between tart and sweet. It probably
really comes into it's own with summery food, like fried chicken or a nice
garden salad. A good beer to start the kids out on.

2.56/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a clowdy pale straw, much like an american wheat. Big white head persists. Initial aroma is lemon, but some malt comes through as this beer warms up. First impression is lemonade with beer poured in it (given the bottle says "weiss beer with lemonade" I would say they hit this one almost right on the mark (I would say they need to reverse the order and call it lemonade with weiss beer). I wouldn't buy this stuff, but on a hot day it isn't bad, it goes down easy, but I keep burping up lemon!

3.4/5  rDev +7.3%

This one pours a hazed pale lemon-tinged yellow color with a bubbly white head and sporadic lacing in the tall pilsner glass. The nose is of light wheat grains and lemonade powder. Not bad at all, just unusual for a beer. This smells of summer. The palate is actually considerably better than I anticipated. A solid American wheat beer with lemonade accents that, in my mind, could have easily been overdone. They're not. Subtle lemonade flavors intermingle with the light, palate-friendly wheat beer to create a summer refresher. I'd wager this is what Leinie's had in mind. Mouthfeel is light and unchallenging, as expected of the style, but it's not to a fault. The easy mothfeel and finish, with only a slight citrusy bitterness, add to the clean cool attitude of this beer. Exceedingly drinkable; this beer is made for the summertime. This is one you can drink on the cold side and not lose a lot of flavor, since it's really pretty staightforward in terms of flavor profile. I have to say I've been impressed with a couple of Leinenkugel's beer of late, but none more than this one for it's sheer ease-of-use and originality. Enjoy this one at your next summer party or picnic. If you're looking for a world class beer, this aint really it, but if you want something that is a unique change of pace, you might just dig it.

1.94/5  rDev -38.8%

A - Cloudy pale yellow (almost tan) brew with a big fluffy three finger head that settles to a thin persistent cap with a small amount of lace left on the glass.

S - Lemon rind zest hits my nose as soon as I poured this. Just pure lemonade aroma at first, then a little bit of cereal too.

T - The taste is less acrid than the nose in that it's more like lemonade than pure lemon rind. Reminds me of a lemon shake-up that you get at an amusement park. After about five seconds the strong lemon flavor washed away, and I'm left with what tastes exactly like Cheerios cereal.

M - Mild carbonation and a slick oily sensation add up to a less than pleasing mouthfeel. The finish is pretty clean with some graininess.

D - Pretty rotgut stuff. It's not all bad, and I would drink one again if offered to me for free, but I probably won't buy this again...although my fiance loves it so I probably will buy it again for her.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

Well, well, the ol’ British Shandy – quite a paradox of taste and flavors, I must say.

I mean, yeah, = looky here, this thing has all the appearance of a lemonade – albeit a hazy lemon yellow cooler with a frothy white head and decent lacing. Powerful lemonade aroma, not too bad with the quaff. Subtle, but still a wheat brew with lemonade, an unique and enjoyable session – this things are only 4.2%

Gave one to the wifey, she likey and agreed it would make for a summer quencher and change of pace. Fork, give it a try as a nice summer change up. But man, donno about how they would slide after the first 2 or 3...

4.13/5  rDev +30.3%

Appearance:
There aren't too many shandys on the market so it's a little hard to say what this beer 'should' look like but there's a big white head to the beer which is a positive note to a wheat beer lemonade or not. The beer looks like watered down lemon juice, there's plenty of haze and it's light-medium yellow in color. The aforementioned head shows good retention but little to no lacing.

Smell:
Again I'm not really sure what's supposed to be going on here but it doesn't smell bad. There's a strong presence of candy lemon like the smell in fruit snacks. Paralleling the lemon is a mild vein of yeasty funk. There really isn't anything else going on here, or perhaps the lemon is too strong. In summary, it smells pleasing at the very least so I guess I'll call it a success.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The lemon chills out a bit here and plays more of a complimentary roll. There's a smooth wheat intro with just a touch of lemon to it. The lemon is still coming through more candied than natural but it's still pretty tasty. The malts slowly fade out leaving a light lemon coating on the tongue. Once again I don't really know what to expect but it's wheat and lemon so I guess I'll call it a shandy and call it pretty good.

Drinkability:
The beer is easy drinking but at the same time it's lacking many of the qualities of lemonade that I enjoy and the same is true for wheat beer. It would make a good lawnmower beer but ultimately it's a specialty drink which makes it pretty one dimensional in terms of drinkability.

Bottom Line:
Thumbs up to Leines for being brave with their brewing/business. I'm not the biggest Leinenkugel fan but it takes some stones to bend SABMiller over and tell them you're making a shandy whether they like it or not. I imagine some "girl drink" talk went in to pitching this brew but I'm a dude and it's an alright beer.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured a very cloudy pale lemon color with a big, frothy 3 finger head that left a medium lacing throughout the drink
Nice lemony citrus smell-definately different
Light mouthfeel, the first hit is with carbonation and then the lemon takes over (again, definately different)
I passed by this several times, even after my friends at The Anderson's recommended it, but thought it was worth a try. I absolutely love the Sam Adams Summer and while I still feel it is much better, this Leiny isn't bad at all. I love lemonade and/or beer on a hot summer day and this is the best of both worlds.
Definately worth a try!

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%

I gotta tell ya, I passed this beer up accouple times already think'n, I'll wait. I guess I was affraid of the ade, Lemonade that is.

knowing what to expect, helps.
The beer pours a cloudy, hazy, pulpy yellow straw color. A nice white head forms and maintains well. Lace is pretty good too. No fizz.

The aroma, Wow!! set back and enjoy thisone. The aroma just pops out at you with big lemon, citric lime and some wheat.

The taste is good, Lemon yes, but toned down a piece. Hints of lime, sugar and wheat or bread-like.

The mouthfeel is alittle thin, watered. If they add lemonade to the beer, perhaps why. Myself, leave the pulp in.

Drinkable yes, goes down easy. A real pleaser on a hot day. We'll reach 90's, Im saving accouple for that. The low abv. is non-intrusive and aids the beers use.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Murky pastel lemon that looks as much like lemonade as it does like beer. Up top is a frothily creamy head of cumulus cloud white that sets off the color of the liquid beautifully. It doesn't hurt that the cap looks as good and leaves as much lace as your average hefe weizen. No matter what Summer Shandy tastes like, Leinenkugel has nailed the look.

Here's where it gets tough. Do I look at this beverage through my usual beer lens or through a shandy lens? The obvious answer is through a shandy lens. The nose is wonderful. It smells like lemon tart filling with a hint of wheatiness in the background. I'm going to check my beer geek bona fides at the door and say that this is just about the best smelling shandy that I can imagine.

If only Summer Shandy tasted as good as it smells, it would have been accorded legendary status among the Leinenkugel lineup, at least as far as I'm concerned. Damn, why couldn't they have figured out flavor as thoroughly as they figured out aroma?

I think the problem is that there's too much lackluster American pale wheat ale and not enough lemonade. I wouldn't mind if the base beer was of higher quality, but it's grainy and bland and doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. I'm sure most people will slam this beverage for being insufficiently beer-like, but given the various flavors at play, I'd like to see as much sweet lemon zestiness as is present in the nose.

The mouthfeel has been designed for maximum drinkability. Unfortunately, it's a little too light, bordering on frankly watery on the swallow. I liked the gentle carbonation initially. However, by the bottom of the bottle, it makes Summer Shandy feel blah.

I think it's pretty obvious that the determining factor in the quality of any given shandy is the quality of the beer (all lemonade uses a pretty standard recipe, after all). I hate to say it, but this brewery isn't known for the quality of its beer... which necessarily limits the quality of any shandy that they could produce. If Leinenkugel has determined that this stuff will increase their sales, more power to them.

1.26/5  rDev -60.3%

Tried this beer several times out of a bottle, but just couldn't get myself to enjoy any of it. The apprearance was cloudy much like the sunset wheat. Once poured into a glass and straight from the bottle, it smelled of terrible artifical lemon. I was unsure if I was about to drink a shandy or lemon pine sol. The taste was bad enough to make Kool Aid Man gag. It tasted of the most artifical lemon flavor mixed with flat soda water. The mouthfeel was terrible as well, because the carbonation was doing a nasty number on my tongue. The overall drinkibility was awful. This is by far the worst beer I have sampled of the Leinenkugel's line or from any brewery for that matter.

3.01/5  rDev -5%

Strange brew! Lemonade with a head! Cloudy pale straw yellow color with a decent, although short-lived, foamy white head, even managed a little lace.

The aroma is almost straight lemon zest.

The taste is also mostly tart lemon, just hints of wheat and cloves and some mild hops at the end. The finish is tart with a lingering lemon zest tang. No excessive sweetness.

Light bodied, drinkable, especially ice cold. Worth trying as a summer cooler. Not much like beer. but it's not bad, and is refreshing on a hot day.

3.18/5  rDev +0.3%

I think this one should be filed under fruit beer. There's a big, tart lemonade flavor up front with a bit of wheat flavor following. The aroma has a bit of lemon. It's kind of like they took a very pale wheat beer and dumped Country Time lemonade mix into it. If you love lemons and NEED them in beer, go for this otherwise, its not much more than lawnmower beer.

2.17/5  rDev -31.5%

Into a 12oz mug, this beer is a very pale straw color, quite hazy, with a nice creamy head on top. EGAD the aroma is like Lemon Fresh Pine Sol (tm). Huge lemoniness, but not pleasant like, say, lemon-aid. This tastes like those disgusting lemon malternatives. I can't find any hefeweizen flavors under the overwhelming lemon, except maybe faint fruitiness.

I couldn't finish this. It doesn't taste like the shandy's I used to drink in the UK during vacations in the 80s. Bleagh.

4.29/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I have to go out on a limb here and disagree with a lot of reviewers here. I thought this was the best Leine's I have tried. I have a couple left, but I have had a good portion of their selection. Anyways, what I was most impressed with was the smell and taste. The appeance and Mouthfeel as debatable, but the mix of lime, honeydew and light citrus hops with a touch of sweet malt can really hit the spot on a warm day.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company