Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 637 | Ratings: 3,528
2.85/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

from notes:

A- a lemon yellow and opaque look to it. Very carbonated and it looks too carbonated. It fizzes the whole time.

S- lemonade aroma and lemons. nothing too much to report. Wheaty and lemony smell

T- a mikes hard lemonade that actually has a a little flavor. Too much carbonation though. It is like drinking lemonade with beer thrown into it.

M- fizzy and bursting of bubbly. Too much so.

D- i put it down but i wouldnt have another. It is an interesting idea but i was happy with the beer. I like their honey weiss though.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. I've been seeing a lot of this stuff lately, all the stores are getting rid of it for the winter cheap as hell, and it feels slightly off drinking one of these in the middle of December, but it works. Glad I could finally just sit down and review it, although this beer is ideal for a party.

A - Pale, boring, carbonated straw looking color. Kind of murky, swampy looking. Nice clean white head on top, though.

S - Smells kind of like a lot of wheat with a little lemons. Like someone just poured lemonade into your Miller Lite. Doesn't smell bad or off-putting, just doesn't smell very genuine to me.

T - Watery, alcoholic lemonade taste. This is a beer that would probably go over well with people who are not big beer drinkers or big fans of beer in general. Kind of on the borderline with being almost more akin to a wine cooler than a beer. There is a zesty, fresh lemon taste, but again it just doesn't taste genuine to me at all. It gives off that "mass produced" vibe.

M - Carbonated. Probably way more than it should be. This beer does have a high drinkability, with a nice moderate 4.2% abv, but the high carbonation just leaves me feeling bloated.

Overall, not great, but worse beers do exist. A good starter beer I suppose for people who are looking to rage, and for those who don't like beer maybe that wanna try something different.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy ---3/5

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

After the Berry Weiss, I was very cautious about another fruity selection from Leinenkugels, but I bought the sample pack so I proceeded onwards.

This beer is actually pretty good, (especially in comparison to the Berry Weiss.) The lemonade flavor is subtle and I found it was really nice on a hot day, I felt like I was having a beer which maybe had been garnished with a slice of lemon. No problem!

A - A smooth dirty yellow, with a light white head.

S - Smells like beer, a major advantage. Slight hint of lemon in the scent, but it mostly only smelled like beer, mostly.

T - Tasted like a beer that you wouldn't buy all the time, but the girl working at the dock likes it so you order it, and she sticks a slice of lemon on there and slips you her number after you fix her shirt tag, which was sticking out. Then you wake up in your lawn chair and you've got no number and no lemon slice, but its hot and this beer is keeping you pretty cool.

M - smooth, no acidity from lemon or otherwise, very cool and refreshing.

D - smooth, tasty, not too sweet or sour from the lemon, easy drinking. A step up from mikes hard lemonade, somewhere in between mikes and a real beer.

Overall - not bad, I drank all 3 from the sampler while the other two berry weiss lie in wait for some sucker to try.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours out of the bottle a murky cloudy light yellow color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. It looks a lot like the liquid that comes out of one of those plastic lemons only this has a small head on it for a minute or two. The smell is pretty heavy on the lemon. There's a faint spicy wheat beer aroma deep underneath, but I mostly get lemons. The flavor is and odd mix of beer and lemon juice. It tastes like carbonated lemonade with a hint of macro wheat beer mixed in there. Medium to thin body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet and tart kind of mouthfeel happening. This one didn't really do it for me.
The lemony aspect of this I kind of enjoyed, but I think that the base beer that they used is just south of lackluster.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A- off cloudy light yellow, gigantic head, minimal lacing

S- nothing but lemons

T- slight sweetness,doughy, and very lemony

M- light crust with medium carbonation

O- okay feels like I'm drinking beer mixed with lemonade but definitely refreshing on a hot day

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Summer Shandy pours a hazy yellow color with a finger of white head that fades to a thin cap soon after the pour.

The aroma is a lemony, but not overpoweringly so with a hint of pine.

The taste is lemony and refreshing. Not sweet like an alcopop, this is definitely beer, which is a good thing.

The mouthfeel is light to medium with a lemony aftertaste.

I think drinkablility on this one will improve as the temperature rises. This is a beer that will slide down fast on those hot summer days. Probably good it is 4.2% abv for that reason. While this beer didn't wow me, it is quaffable. Take a chance and try this one.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

looks.... interesting. smells like concentrated lemonade thats been watered down with cheap beer. eww to sweet almost cloyingly so. tastes a little too artificial for me. I'm not a hater on Leinies in general but i would rather buy my own coors light and mix it with sprite for less money.

2.84/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured an extremely light yellow color, probably due to the lemon and it has decent carbonation. The smell was sweet with a very powerful lemon scent. The taste was thin and smooth, with a strong lemon taste but also a grainy/wheat taste as well. This went down very smooth.

2.84/5  rDev -9%

pours a yellowish copper color with little head.

smells of very strong lemon scents, almost to much.

taste is way more lemon than i expected but as i drank it i got more used to it, it does have a bite to it but thats from all the lemon flavoring.

heavily carbonated, lemon flavor covers the beer and you can really almost taste nothing but lemon, its a bit overwhelming.

easy to drink, decent beer for after a hard day of work or maybe out at the pool, it seems to be more of a refreshment than a beer, somewhat like lemonade. not bad though.

2.83/5  rDev -9.3%

A friend recommended this to me who is a serious beer drinker and really knows his stuff.

It is a cloudy yellow color, more lemonade than beer. Goes down easy.. As a thirst quencher, this really hits the spot on a hot summer day.

As a beer, it is just average. I am not sure you can even call it a beer.

Over all, it is a pretty good summer drink. Makes for a pretty good social lubricant as well.

It is hell of a lot better than Bud Light Lime.

2.83/5  rDev -9.3%

A buddy of mine drink this stuff nearly exclusively during the months it's available. He left the remnants of a 6-pack at my house, so I figured why not give it a review.

Appearance: Poured out a hazy, extremely pale yellow. Not unlike the color you'd find in homemade lemonade. The head was minimal at best, not even worth attempting a finger count. Obviously considering the previous statement lacing was non-existent as well.

Smell: Lemonade. It does actually smell somewhat like natural lemonade, which I suppose is a plus. On the flip side it doesn't give any hints or suggestions that I'm about to partake in something that could be considered beer.

Taste: Again it's a lemonade affair. I will say they've done a better job at flavoring this than some similar fruit beers, Cranberry Lambic comes to mind. It's a fairly pleasant, tart flavor. Behind the lemonade there is a bit of nondescript, bland wheat malt. There's also a smidgen of graininess.

Mouthfeel: The body is fairly thin, perhaps setting a foot into the field of medium bodied. The carbonation is surprisingly good. It's not the usual tongue prickling affair that I usual expect from beers such as this.

Drinkability: It's best to think of this beer as a nice, tall glass of ice cold lemonade. It works as a cheap lawnmower beer I suppose. On this hot spring night in Michigan it was certainly refreshing.

Overall, and I'm beating a dead horse at this point, this stuff is more like lemonade with a splash of beer than the other way around. If you keep that in mind it you may have a decent experience. If you are in the mood for something refreshing (outside the realm of beer) you may have a decent experience.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Too lemony and not sweet enough for me, though probably perfect for many. I'm used to cheap lemonade mixed with cheap beer when it comes to shandy and it seems the Co. was going for something a bit more upmarket and Whole Foods-ish. Which is great if it's your thing, it just ain't mine in this instance.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

Cans just popped up next to the bottles at the local stores for around $1.

There's really very little difference from bottle to can. What I do get is a weaker head that struggles and leaves almost nothing behind. In that respect, the main difference is the appearance. It's a shandy, so it is what it is, it's simply not a well-made one given that the lemon aspect overtakes all but the slightest inkling that this is a beer. It's a lemon soda with slight beer character. Shandy's not a beer purist's dream come true, but pick up a Stiegl (sp?) if you're going to get one. Otherwise, just drink this as something like Chrystal light mixed with Sprite. As such, perhaps it is pretty tasty.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a hazy dark urine color with two fingers of white head.

Smells of strong lemon pledge and lemon rind.

Wheat and lemon rind with some light bitterness on the finish.

Light-bodied with crisp carbonation and a tart, drying finish.

I can definitely see the appeal of this one, it's just not my thing. I'm not sure how traditional this "shandy" is anyways.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Was what I expected from reading other reviews. Good for a really hot Summer day, but nothing more. Kind of interesting during the first sip, then totally lost what little appeal it had. Tastes like artificial lemonade mixed with cheap beer. No do over for me.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

A - The pour from the bottle actually looks like lemonade. Once in the pint it has a yellow haze and a nice glow. The head is white and loudly fades away fast.

S - The aroma is filled with malt and lemon. The scent begs to be consumed.

T - The flavor starts with a kick of lemon. It moves on to a malty middle and finishes with an odd mix of the two.

M - The feel is coarse and abrasive. Partially because of the temperature and also because of the high carbonation in the brew. I don't think the feel adds much to the beer other than a refreshment factor because it is quenching my thirst.

~ In my humble opinion I'm not to impressed with the Summer Shandy. I will say though, I think the brewers succeeding in what they were attempting to accomplish. This is a beer and not a wine cooler. It does a good job satisfying thirst and can likely be consumed in large quantities. It is not something I'd purchase necessarily but it does have it's place among beers.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured at 40°F from a 12oz bottle (no date) into a nonic pint glass. Consumed on 09Sep16.
SMELL: Strong odors of artificial lemonade are slightly offset by mild wheat aromas along with subtle scents of honey and spicy hops.
3 out of 5
TASTE: The palate is instantly violated at first sip by strong flavors of bittersweet, artificial lemonade. The bitterness is immediately bolstered as mild flavors of stale cracker strike the taste buds. Mild flavors of wheat and grass attempt to rectify the initial failure, but fail to do so. Not even the trailing of the mild spicy hop and subtle honey flavors can ameliorate the overpowering bitterness.
2.5 out of 5
NOTE: What smelled mediocre, proceeded to taste displeasing. The bitterness from the lemonade and grain profile was too much to bear. This was not a terrible beer as I would prefer this over Bud Light any day, but this certainly made my foul beer list.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

There is only one way to drink this. Buy a 6 pack and put in the back of your fridge. After spending that 95 degree day out doing yard work, make it the first thing you drink. The light lemony flavor goes down smooth and easy. It's so refreshing you may even want to have one more.

Then go back to your favorite beer for the rest of the day, saving the other Summer Shandys for the next heat wave.

As a beer I give a 2.5 rating. As lemonade I'll rate it a 2. Put them together it's a 4.5.
Just don't order it at your neighborhood bar - you will be disappointed. Unless that's where you go when your hot and sweaty.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

It was 70 degrees yesterday and I sat on my front porch blastin' out old foreign punk rock. Today it's rainy so I bought this to cheer me up. :)

Serving type: bottle. the only way it comes?
appearance: always drink from the bottle.
Smell: citrus, maybe a little bread.
Taste: citrus and real beer flavor mixed. It starts off as citrusy but then turns to a beer flavor. A smooth citrus rather than zesty and pronounced one such as Mike's Lemonade.
Mouthfeel: real light and smooth.

Overall: I didn't realize this was only 4.2 percent until I got it home. I never buy below 5% just 'cause I want a real beer and not "lite" beer. I liked the other 3 beers I had by this company last summer. One was blueberry I believe and another wheat? Can't remember exactly. Summer Shandy is something you could drink all day if it was sold cheaply enough or was free. I'm not gonna but it again because at $7 it's a bit expensive for the ABV. and falling into the "joke" beer category such as being a lemonade.

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%

Notes from 7/27/11. On tap at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee.

A - Cloudy medium yellow with half a finger of white head

S - Lemonade. No malts or hops noticeable in the nose.

T - Lemonade at first with no obvious beer flavours. However, the finish has some grainy malt notes. Very sweet.

M - Light body. Somewhat heavily carbonated.

O - An interesting beer but not one that I would ever order again.

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%

App- is light gold murky in the middle

Smells like lemon and a lot of it at that

Taste is a strong lemon bite with a bit of a crisp dry finish at the end, personally I don't care for the taste the lemon is just too obnoxious to me.

MF- nice and smooth, good for summer time relaxation slight carbonation and citrus invades the toungue.

Drinkability- It's ok not that drinkable because I don't care for the taste, give me gumballhead anyday over this.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Super hazy rusted yellow color. A fuzzy white head recedes to a good thick film. Light lines of lacing.

Aroma: Dried grass and lemon syrup.

Taste: A very straightforward taste of lemon candy and a bright seltzer kind of taste. Slight chalkiness.

Mouthfeel: Very chalky and carbonated, almost medicinal.

Overall: Heavy mouthfeel for a light, summery kind of beer. Too chalky, and reminded me of Lemonheads candy too much. Just not my thing.

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a stein glass.

Even with an aggressive pour, only a thin head is obtained. Head dissipates VERY quickly, with no lacing at all.

Has a hazy lemonade appearance, just with a slightly darker cooler and some light carbonation.

Slight lemon smell, kind of sweet.

Sweet taste with a hint of tangyness at the end. Finishes fairly clean, but does leave the mouth a little puckered without a sour aftertaste. After the first one, the sweetness tends to build, bordering on overpowering. With the low ABV though, I could see how some reviewers have said it has high drinkability.

Overall not really impressed, and probably won't try this type of beer again. I've tried a few different types of fruit/vegetable beers, and I've yet to find one I really like.

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%

Grabbed this in an attempt to find a good beer to drink on a hot summer day. It is a cloudy yellow color, looks like the typical hefeweizen. The off white head quickly dispersed. The lemon smell over powers any typical beer smell and the taste is almost like drinking lemonade. It's crisp lemony taste is easy to drink, and if you like lemons you'll like the beer. Overall it taste like the typical hefewizen with four or five lemon slices squeezed into it. Decent offering for a hot summer day.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company