Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,637 |  Reviews: 655
3.99/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had it on a brewery tour while in Wisconsin. Tasted amazing then. But tastes a little bit more pedestrian out of the bottle I bought here in San Francisco. Still pretty good wheat beer, though it does have a slightly bitter aftertaste that reminded me of real barley and hops lager. In my book that's a good thing, but based on the category of beer, I guess that would make it an "adjunct" by witbier standards.

3.99/5  rDev +25.9%

3.98/5  rDev +25.6%

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for.

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Looks light and like lemonade but nothing better in the summer

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here.

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%

Admittedly I'm a sucker for sweeter beers, but even I was skeptical at a lemonade/beer combo. However girly it may be, it is a delicious and refreshing beer that manages to eliminate all of the negatives of a malt beverage like Mike's Hard or a flavored beer like Bud Light Lime. There's no lingering sweetness, and isn't harsh on the stomach acid wise. You can taste the beer and the lemonade, but neither are bad. The flavors don't taste fake or forced. Great refreshing beer for a summer barbeque.

3.96/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very refreshing beer to have in the summer because of the citrus flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance is pure gold with some cloudy. Smell is strong with lemon. Mouthfeel has some lingering to it, with a pleasant sweet tartness. The taste is strong with the lemon-aid. This is a great taste on a good hot 90 degree day here in PA. Overall this is a true seasonal beer, good in the summer. Let us have some burgers and dogs.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Picked up a 6 pack of this because I didn't feel like having the taste of regular beer in my mouth the next morning. Easy to drink, Smells nice, Tastes like Lemons as everybody else has said. Though with the low alcohol content it doesn't really get you drunk. A good beer to pick up if you want to have some ladies over who can't handle any other beer. Something I'd drink from time to time if I needed a filler to keep my buzz going

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%

I gotta tell ya, I passed this beer up accouple times already think'n, I'll wait. I guess I was affraid of the ade, Lemonade that is.

knowing what to expect, helps.
The beer pours a cloudy, hazy, pulpy yellow straw color. A nice white head forms and maintains well. Lace is pretty good too. No fizz.

The aroma, Wow!! set back and enjoy thisone. The aroma just pops out at you with big lemon, citric lime and some wheat.

The taste is good, Lemon yes, but toned down a piece. Hints of lime, sugar and wheat or bread-like.

The mouthfeel is alittle thin, watered. If they add lemonade to the beer, perhaps why. Myself, leave the pulp in.

Drinkable yes, goes down easy. A real pleaser on a hot day. We'll reach 90's, Im saving accouple for that. The low abv. is non-intrusive and aids the beers use.

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy has a thick, fluffy, white head and a very cloudy, pale yellow appearance. The aroma is of lemonade and just a touch of white bread. Taste is of lemonade, white wheat bread, sugar, and a very low bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy finishes mostly dry, tart, and refreshing. It’s not really a beer. It’s a flavored malt beverage. I think it’s very good, for what it is.

RJT

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Instead of most summer beers which are a beer with lemonade flavor, this is a lemonade with lemonade flavor. More comparable to Mike's Hard Lemonade, minus the severe heartburn. This is very tastey stuff; potentially the most refreshing summer beer you can buy. I think it's great, although It's certainly on the fringes of the "malt beverage" catagory. The big difference, though, is no cloying sweetness or obvious sugar additives. I'll be stocking up of this for the summer months.

12 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Cloudy light yellow color with moderate head

Smell: Maybe not particularly beer smelling but it has a great lemon smell. It is the smell of a really flavorful lemonade and just gives a great summer feeling

Taste: The flavor is less lemonade -ey then the smell which actually makes it a lot better. If you expect it to taste like a Mike's, it will not be what you expected. On the other hand there is a light beer flavor that mixes with the lemonade but is not very strong

Note: This is a really good beverage but it is a little hard to consider it wheat beer because there is very little wheat beer flavors (fruity but lacks the variety of fruit flavors). But I have never actually made a Shandy before but I feel this would be a good representation of it (very refreshing)

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured a very cloudy pale lemon color with a big, frothy 3 finger head that left a medium lacing throughout the drink
Nice lemony citrus smell-definately different
Light mouthfeel, the first hit is with carbonation and then the lemon takes over (again, definately different)
I passed by this several times, even after my friends at The Anderson's recommended it, but thought it was worth a try. I absolutely love the Sam Adams Summer and while I still feel it is much better, this Leiny isn't bad at all. I love lemonade and/or beer on a hot summer day and this is the best of both worlds.
Definately worth a try!

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

I liked this beer more than I thoght I would. I was expecting a Miller Chill and got more than I thought I would.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was a dull yellow and hazy with a decent head but very little retention.

Smell was very fresh and somewhat lemonade-ish. Really didn't get much of a hint that it was beer. Pleasant.

Taste was very good. I am not sure it would taste as good if it tasted more like beer or not. It is probably too lemony for some or most but it is not lemonade. The unfiltered nature of it keeps it from being Miller Chill soda pop like. Ultra refreshing. Would be a real hit on a hot summer day. Not an everyday beer by any means but in small doses at the real time it should be just the ticket.

Mouthfeel was slick and easy. Felt good on the tongue and coated the throat a little on the way down. Certainly not thick but less watery than I thought.

Drinkability. Again, in the right place, at the right time, I believe you could drink one after another. At 4.2% and with the slickness with which it goes, it is very drinkable. Not for everyone and probably not for purists but as a fun recreational drink I think Leine's got what they were going for. Would defintely have again.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company