Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 636 | Ratings: 3,521
1.81/5  rDev -42%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one.

2.03/5  rDev -34.9%

A: hazy light straw, minimal white head/lace.
S: lemons
T: tastes more like a lightly sweet artificial powdered lemonade than beer, but at least it's not super-sour or overly sweet.
M: thin, puckering, effervescent.
D: hard to finish one, unless i had a real hankering for lemonade. as far as lemonade goes, it's not terrible. as far as beer goes...

This beer is all about recovering from a hot long day of work or play. Don't expect malt or hop goodness. Expect a refreshing drink.

A: Cloudy yellow in appearance with a thin head that will lace down the glass if poured.
S: Smells of lemons on lemons with no hint of malt or hops; not a bad thing for this style in my opinion.
T: I liked this beer mainly because it was associated with good memories of when I lived in Bavaria where they would frequently mix a hefeweizen with lemonade making a "Radler." It is perfect for a hot summer day at the pool or just after coming inside.
M: Tiny bubbles, smooth.
D: Very similar to drinking lemonade... you can go until the citrus flavor as coated your tongue beyond comfort.

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Tried this at Lamp Lighters in Palatine. Beer of the month apparently at this place. The color is a straw very light color. Smells of lemon and wheat. This tasted like lemonade on crack. Could only handle two before I switched back to some better beers. It would be good on a nice summer day when you want something light and refreshing.

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well I know this is a average beer but because of the unique taste this is a just above average beer in my book.

The apperance is yellow it looks nice.

S - lemons really nothing extra.

T - I liked it but it is different it taste like the lemonade it was mixed with. I liked it but I can see people not liking it.

M - Mouthfeel is of lemons.

D - Again this is a different beer it is like a malt but it isnt. Thats okay it does what it is looking to do. My wife loves it. I feel it is agreat gateway into craft.

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

The pale, cloudy appearance isn't too impressive up front for this summery lemonade-infused wheat beer. The initial citrus smell isn't bad, though, but what really counts is the taste, and here it just reminds me far too much of Pledge furniture polish. Something here seems fishy (and plastic), and I won't be picking these up anytime soon.

3.74/5  rDev +19.9%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy poured a light color, with a decent head. It smells very strongly of lemonade, and had a sweet smell. The taste had a very strong lemonade flavor, and was rather sweet. Very very easy to drink, anybody would enjoy this beer. Overall its very different, and not bad, worth a shot, great on a hot summer day.

2.06/5  rDev -34%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

2.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a light straw color with a frizzly white head that pops. The aroma is of light malts and of course lemonade. Now I love a tall cold glass of lemonade as much as the other guy, but in my brew? My BA bud drizzam swears by this stuff. The taste is what you would think a light malt brew with lemonade and that is where it ends. The after taste is stale leaving a dry and almost stank taste in my mouth. I think it best to leave these two things separate, or at least to the women to drink in "hard" malt liquors.

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

3.3/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy pale straw color with minimal head. Scent is of lemons and pale malt - smells like lemonade mixed with a light BMC product. Taste is again a simple belnd of lemon and pale grains - the lemon is not too artificial nor too sour, there is no horrible big rush of sweetness, there is not even a twangy light beer taste. The backbone is a halfway decent fresh grain-like taste. Plain and simple - its a light lemonade mixed with a slightly above average beer. Light to medium bodied, a bit grainy in the mouth. Let me get this off my chest - i enjoyed it for what it was. That doesnt make it a great beer, but it was a nice drink.

3.69/5  rDev +18.3%

A fairly light beer but pleasant. The beer smells like lemon zest. Taste is of a light wheat beer with a strong lemon finish. It has a light crisp feel to the tongue. It would be quite refreshing making it a perfect beer to drink after a long hot day.

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith Euro pint. Pours a hazy pale yellow color with one finger white head that slowly subsides. There is no apparent lacing throughout. The aroma is of a malt beverage with a massive lemonade note. The flavor of this brew is almost not flavor with a subtle lemonade hint. It is light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this beer is not that enjoyable. Might be okay for getting someone off Mike's Hard Lemonade, but for an avid beer drinker, this is kind of blah...

2.71/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pour: Cloudy lemonade yellow with very active carbonation and a fizzy 2-fingered, pure white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lemons. Some wheat malt underneath it, and no detectable hops.

Taste: A bit like carbonated lemonade. No hop bitterness and a little bit of wheat sweetness, but overall, sort of bland. Good for refreshment after a hard day's work, but not much substance. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, like carbonated water. Was hoping for a bit more.

Drinkability: Quaffable but only because it's like water.

Final Notes: Good for refreshment on a hot summer day. Not good for much else, though. I wasn't a fan.

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a cloudy washed out yellow color below a fizzy white head that quickly dies leaving a small white lacing rimming the glass.

An initial whiff tells me I've just poured a piece of lemon meringue pie into my glass, If I was wanting to get drunk off of a pie, my choice would have been apple pie Ala mode, but I guess drinking desert is just one of the reasons I drink.

The taste is all lemon drops, this I think is more like something the wine cooler people or maybe the Smirnoff guys would market.

The light aftertaste is a lingering lemonyness that would have been pretty dang good if I had remember to have some grilled salmon or halibut handy.

I think this would have been better if it has been 100 degrees outside, or maybe at the lakes, who knows.

I rated this beer kind of low for a couple of reason:

1) If I wanted to drink lemonade I would have bought some Country Time.
2) If I wanted to drink a overly lemony alcohol drink I would have bought some Bartle's and Jaymes or those little Jack Daniel's favored drinks.
3) I kind of like trying flavored beers, and seem to rebuy them if the taste is subdued and the taste of beer is still there, not so with this outing from Leinenugel's.

next...

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sour lemons. Tastes like it smells, sour lemons with a touch of bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is not a beer I could spend the night drinking. Overall a decent but unspectacular brew.

2.83/5  rDev -9.3%

A buddy of mine drink this stuff nearly exclusively during the months it's available. He left the remnants of a 6-pack at my house, so I figured why not give it a review.

Appearance: Poured out a hazy, extremely pale yellow. Not unlike the color you'd find in homemade lemonade. The head was minimal at best, not even worth attempting a finger count. Obviously considering the previous statement lacing was non-existent as well.

Smell: Lemonade. It does actually smell somewhat like natural lemonade, which I suppose is a plus. On the flip side it doesn't give any hints or suggestions that I'm about to partake in something that could be considered beer.

Taste: Again it's a lemonade affair. I will say they've done a better job at flavoring this than some similar fruit beers, Cranberry Lambic comes to mind. It's a fairly pleasant, tart flavor. Behind the lemonade there is a bit of nondescript, bland wheat malt. There's also a smidgen of graininess.

Mouthfeel: The body is fairly thin, perhaps setting a foot into the field of medium bodied. The carbonation is surprisingly good. It's not the usual tongue prickling affair that I usual expect from beers such as this.

Drinkability: It's best to think of this beer as a nice, tall glass of ice cold lemonade. It works as a cheap lawnmower beer I suppose. On this hot spring night in Michigan it was certainly refreshing.

Overall, and I'm beating a dead horse at this point, this stuff is more like lemonade with a splash of beer than the other way around. If you keep that in mind it you may have a decent experience. If you are in the mood for something refreshing (outside the realm of beer) you may have a decent experience.

3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

a- virtually no head or no lacing, very cloudy light yellow golden in color, very close to lemonade in color and appearance

s-smells strongly of lemonade no strong aromas of hops or malt

t-taste of lemonade and citrus aftertaste of wheat and hops

m-smooth clean mouthfeel, kinda light feel

d-good drinkability

I recently found the Summer Shandy in a can and had to try it. It smells of lemon, and it definitely tastes like lemon. This beer goes down very smoothly. It would be easy to drink a lot of these. I'm surprised the rating is so low on here. This is a very decent summer beer. I recommend trying this beer if you haven't.

2.6/5  rDev -16.7%

Tried this at a baseball game last night. I often will at least try seasonal offerings because well...they aren't always available. I had reasonably high hopes because I like regular Linenkugel. I was very disappointed. Way too much lemon flavor. Tastes more like lemonade than beer. Would not order again.

2.65/5  rDev -15.1%

A - Small amount of lacing and somewhat cloudy appearance

S - Overpowering lemon smell. Sorta smells like lemon flavored dish detergent. Not the worst smell in the world, but not great.

T - Very light tasting

M - Light to medium light body. Crisp mountfeel and minimal after taste.

D - Somewhat drinkable. I am thinking the heavy lemon flavor would get to me by the third beer.

Overal: Blah

2.77/5  rDev -11.2%

Got this beer in the Leinenkugel's variety pack. I had been looking forward to trying this one but was let down. The taste was like someone had taken their Sunset Wheat beer, but instead of the blueberry notes, they accidentally added some powdered lemonade. Much too sweet for my liking (and I though t the Sunset Wheat was very good, despite its sweetness). This tasted too little like beer and too much like lemonade.

It should be added that after my first one, I decided to mix this with the Berry Weiss (50/50) for something a little more tolerable.

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

Fairly mixed feelings about this one. It is a good, casual summer drinker in certain settings, but not others.

Beach -- good
Barbeque -- not so good.

They advertise this as 'beer with a hint of lemonade' but it's honestly the other way around. It isn't terrible, but it barely feels like beer. May as well reach for a Mike's hard, you won't look that much worse for doing so.

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%

From Notes

A: We have a hazy lemon peel color, with a off white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Ok we have some lemonhead smell along with a ton of sugary,
sweetness not much else.

T: Ok we have lemon soda water, and a weak one at that. There is also a bit of mineral taste.

M: This one felt weird, really syrupy, like a flat soda.

D: lack of carbonation, makes this one hard to drink, imo.

Thoughts- This one was a try at a shandy that was not all that close. I think I will stick to mixing my own.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company