Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 634 | Ratings: 3,512
2.49/5  rDev -20.2%

A- Pours a two-fingered fizzy. white head on a cloudy pale body. Pour head retention, some lacing.

S- Smells like lemon juice...weird bread?

T- Taste more like a soda than a beer, Squirt comes to mind. Sugary sweet. There's this weird off-putting taste in there somewhere. Refreshing citrus aftertaste.

M- Very carbonated, would hate to puke this up D: Watery mouthfeel.

D/O- Points scored on the drinkability aspect, not the "overall" one...aspects evened out used for my score here. Made me burp a lot due to the high carbonation. If you enjoy this one, seek out the Potosi Steamboat Shandy, I found it to be much more enjoyable.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If I am being honest, there was a point in time that I loved this. Over time, less and less so though. It used to come across as a very nice citrus shandy. Refreshing and quaffable. Now it seems artificial and fake. There is also an aftertaste that the entire Leinenkugel brand seems to have that I do not like and have a hard time stomaching.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It is beer that borders with kemonade. Teenagers would like it. It has wierd aftertaste that possible only with US made food chemicals. The idea is mix Real lemonade with Real Wheat beer. When brewed in Midwest as one unit it turned into chemical wierdness.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never having tried this style before I don't want to be harsh. However having friends familliar with the style from living in Germany I don't feel so bad giving this review.
Aroma is "countrytime" lemonade mix. Not the drink, the powder. Very acidic . Pours an odd shade of milky yellow with a billowing cream head that lasts throughout leaving quite a bit of lacing. I cannot taste any beer in this. Its all lemonade. Very acidic and harsh. Quite a bit of carbonation in conjunction with the lemonade makes it more like a soda. I can see where they were going with this but just went overboard on the lemonade. If it was a more natural lemon flavor it would probably be pretty good. but this tastes very artificial.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a cloudy, pale yellow. Very fizzy with a white, one-finger head. Looked like lemonade especially while pouring it out of the bottle to the glass.

S - Smelled just like lemonade.

T -Tasted like lemonade with some wheat and clove notes.

M - It was soft and smooth. Also, quite fizzy.

D - It was drinkable but it didn't remind me of beer. It certainly makes a nice lemonade.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a bright, cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that quickly fades. Aroma fills the room with a sickenly sweet lemon lime flavor... much like Sprite. With your eyes closed, this smells just like a soda. uh oh.

First sip is overwhelmingly lemon and sweet. Again, I could mistake this for a Sprite. I don't know how to rate this as a beer, because it doesn't resemble one in any way.

On the positive side, it is drinkable and unoffensive. You wouldn't know this had alcohol in it. Similar to a Smirnoff Ice or other bitch-pop. If I were 10 years younger and wanted to get a sorority girl drunk, this would do nicely.

I'm scoring this low except for drinkability because I hardly consider this a beer.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy pours a hazy golden yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce brown bottle. It smells just like lemonade. The body is very light as is the flavor. Up front the lemonade flavor isn't bad, but then it seems kind of artificial in the finish. More a malternative than a beer.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy yellow with dense fast fading white head and spotty lacing. Smell: lemonade. Taste: highly carbonated lemonade with a touch of wheat. Mouthfeel: carbonated lemonade. There's not much here to suggest that this is a beer rather than a less sweet malternative. Doesn't stand up to other pale wheats I've tried, even though this is certainly refreshing.

2.51/5  rDev -19.6%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks. This was my first "beer" and to me, is a good gateway beer for people who haven't developed a taste for that beer taste but want to.
Smells like a beer, plain and simple, but with lemon and citrus notes.
Tastes almost like a beer, but the beer flavor is drowned out by the citrusy lemon mixed in. Making for a more sour than bitter taste. moderate carbonation. Good for a warm summers day.

It tastes like a normal beer, but with a lemon twist. Good for those who want to get into drinking beers but haven't yet acquired the taste.

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

Cloudy yellow pour, if it had lemon pulp in it, you might be thinking you gots lemonade up in here. Head disappears even though it was large, contributing to that thought.

Lemon aroma, slight yeast like aroma to it. That part was enjoyable.

Taste, is uh, weird. Lemon, but not the way I'm used to, usually its like lemon sour, or lemon citrus hop feel, but no, this is like, lemon candy almost. The beer isn't bitter, yet has lemon as its most defining characteristic. Just doesn't come across like beer, or a fruit beer even, like a hotty totty/boilermaker type of drink, something with lemon and beer in it, but not a 'lemon beer' per se. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes beer.

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired as part of a variety box at Von's grocery and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a five finger wide head of beige colour. Fair creaminess. Nice thickness. Okay frothiness. Retention is good - about 6+ minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky cloudy dull yellow-orange. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's not looking good at all. Kind of crappy, to be honest.

Sm: Fake lemon zest. Artificial fruit esters. Sugary syrupy fruity crap. Clean malts. Just artificial through and through; not really appealing.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An aroma of moderate to somewhat high strength.

T: Artificial lemon zest. Sugars. Light somewhat complementary floral hops. Pale malts. Clean barley. Imbalanced and overly sweet. Neither complex nor subtle. Feels like generic mass-produced crap.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Duration, intensity, and depth of flavour are lackluster.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sugary texture leaves it a bit coarse. Overcarbonated. Lacks depth. Poor presence on the palate. Doesn't really suit the flavour all that well. Comes off artificial.

Dr: Drinkable, sure. But poorly executed. I wouldn't pay for it again, but I doubt I'd refrain from grabbing one from the cooler at a summertime party. It's bad, but downable. Best enjoyed without expectations that it'll be a beer. More of a garbage radler that you recognize is bad but drink for vague refreshment and tame inebriation. Meh.

Low C-

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a very hazy yellow, forming a 1 inch white head. Very light spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - Strong aroma of alcoholic lemonade. Nothing else is detectible.

T - Just like the bottle says, this tastes like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. Not necessarily bad. The lemonade flavoring dominates the taste, but a hint of the wheat comes out in the finish.

M - Light bodied. The flavor stays on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Not sure I could say this is very drinkable. I suppose I could see having one of these on a hot afternoon, but definitely not something I would ever order at a bar.

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

The smell was definitely of the brewing process and not so much of a beery scent, but it had a hint of a different, yeasty aroma. Not unpleasant at all. First sip was an eyebrow raiser. The carbonation and taste of beer with a most definite taste of lemonade. Succeeding sips after the tastebuds settled in confirmed that the lemonade taste ruled over the beer taste. Not thick in the mouth parts at all, but the remnants of the lemonade flavor lingered. Quite nice, actually. For now, anyway.

More sips, more lemonade. Hey, where's the beer? It was as if the lemon citrus flavor took over the whole show like that real hammy kid at eighth grade graduation commencement performance. Ok, I see where this is going. Now, was this concoction brewed for the thirsty, or for the ladies?

I'd classify this beer as another "lawnmower" beer. You're hot, sweaty, smelly and stinky from cleaning out the septic tank or whatever, and you want to slake your thirst. Grab a couple of these guys. They'll go down just like... well, like lemonade. You'll hammer those down and go for the third before your stomach knows it has a visitor. But if you're chillin' on a so-so day looking for a good tasting manly beer, pass this one up and grab something else. There are plenty of others to choose from.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from my dual-tap kegerator into a pint glass. I normally wouldn't buy a lemonade flavored beer but from time to time, I have to give a tap choice to my wife and this is one her favorites during the summer. With that said, lets get on to the review.

Appearance: This pour is yellow and cloudy, typical of your unfiltered wheat beer. Average one-finger head that quickly diminishes.

Smell: Believe it or not, the lemonade aroma dominates. I mean really dominates. I can't smell much of anything else. Certainly not any beer aroma.

Taste: Yes sir, this is a lemonade beer. Not as bad as a lemonade flavor wine cooler, as it lacks the syrupy sweetness and thickness. I catch a faint background of a wheat beer trying desperately to come out, but the lemon flavor pushes back hard and says, "Not on my watch".

Mouthfeel: It has that lively carbonation and does go down effortlessly.

Overall: I'll be honest, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, plus high humidity weather, this beer would taste pretty darn good going down. Short of that, this beer didn't have the typical flavors of a good unfiltered wheat ale, which it tries to resemble. I liked it better than their Sunset Wheat, which was too sweet and cereal tasting for my liking. Give me my Allagash White Ale or Southampton Double White Ale for my summer drinking beer...

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

The appearance is a bright yellow. Kind of a fun color.
In the aroma I get some of the pilsner malts and a good chunk of sugary citrus.
Taste is very sweet with little to no beer flavor. Carbonation is prickly.
If you like lemonade, go for it. If I am in the mood for a radler/shandy I would rather mix lemonade with a lager of my choosing.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells like friggen' lemonade. At first - letting it open up will reveal a little bit of "beery" character. The first part of the taste is pretty beer-like (think a standard lager), while the second half shows off the lemon some. There's literally nothing else to this. I do think the feel is refreshing, but it could be a little less lumpy in spots. Meh, it is what it is, and I've had worse. Doubt I'd drink it again unless I got particularly curious (and shit like that does happen pretty frequently).

2.53/5: Well...I certainly don't hate it

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a long-lasting white head, no lace.

S: Smells like 7-UP.

T: Very light flavour, hint of malt and hops. The lemon comes through in the finish, but overall very mild.

M: Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D: Interesting enough to try once, but the beer got boring fast, not something to come back to.

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

A - pale, cloudy yellow body topped with a creamy white head, decent retention, no lacing
S - lemonade, wheat, yeast, biscuit
T - sweet and tart, artificial lemonade, wheat, biscuit, yeast
M - thin and watery, high carbonation, refreshing finish brings you back for more on a hot day
O - I'm not crazy over this by any means, but it does serve its purpose on a hot day. I'll drink it if it's around but I wouldn't buy it unless someone was requesting it.

2.55/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out.

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

This was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's still not very good. Pale cloudy big white head. Not bad. Smells like lemons and nothing else. Doesn't really taste like anything but lemons. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I'm definately not a fan of mixing beer with artificial flavors. That being said, it was somewhat refreshing. It is what it is. This tastes like a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. That's because it is a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. If that sounds good to you knock yourself out.

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a clowdy pale straw, much like an american wheat. Big white head persists. Initial aroma is lemon, but some malt comes through as this beer warms up. First impression is lemonade with beer poured in it (given the bottle says "weiss beer with lemonade" I would say they hit this one almost right on the mark (I would say they need to reverse the order and call it lemonade with weiss beer). I wouldn't buy this stuff, but on a hot day it isn't bad, it goes down easy, but I keep burping up lemon!

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade.

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a cloudy washed out yellow color below a fizzy white head that quickly dies leaving a small white lacing rimming the glass.

An initial whiff tells me I've just poured a piece of lemon meringue pie into my glass, If I was wanting to get drunk off of a pie, my choice would have been apple pie Ala mode, but I guess drinking desert is just one of the reasons I drink.

The taste is all lemon drops, this I think is more like something the wine cooler people or maybe the Smirnoff guys would market.

The light aftertaste is a lingering lemonyness that would have been pretty dang good if I had remember to have some grilled salmon or halibut handy.

I think this would have been better if it has been 100 degrees outside, or maybe at the lakes, who knows.

I rated this beer kind of low for a couple of reason:

1) If I wanted to drink lemonade I would have bought some Country Time.
2) If I wanted to drink a overly lemony alcohol drink I would have bought some Bartle's and Jaymes or those little Jack Daniel's favored drinks.
3) I kind of like trying flavored beers, and seem to rebuy them if the taste is subdued and the taste of beer is still there, not so with this outing from Leinenugel's.

next...

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith Euro pint. Pours a hazy pale yellow color with one finger white head that slowly subsides. There is no apparent lacing throughout. The aroma is of a malt beverage with a massive lemonade note. The flavor of this brew is almost not flavor with a subtle lemonade hint. It is light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this beer is not that enjoyable. Might be okay for getting someone off Mike's Hard Lemonade, but for an avid beer drinker, this is kind of blah...

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company