Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

3.17/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,625 |  Reviews: 655

1.26/5  rDev -60.3%

Tried this beer several times out of a bottle, but just couldn't get myself to enjoy any of it. The apprearance was cloudy much like the sunset wheat. Once poured into a glass and straight from the bottle, it smelled of terrible artifical lemon. I was unsure if I was about to drink a shandy or lemon pine sol. The taste was bad enough to make Kool Aid Man gag. It tasted of the most artifical lemon flavor mixed with flat soda water. The mouthfeel was terrible as well, because the carbonation was doing a nasty number on my tongue. The overall drinkibility was awful. This is by far the worst beer I have sampled of the Leinenkugel's line or from any brewery for that matter.

1.26/5  rDev -60.3%

Way too fruity; beer or lemonade, not both.

1.26/5  rDev -60.3%

I purchased this beer in a limited edition case of their seasonal beers. This brew looks like lemonade when poured into a glass with a trace of carbonation. It smells like lemonade, but tastes like lemon furniture polish. I'll save the rest for my brother in-law when he visits...he'll drink anything

1.27/5  rDev -59.9%

A - A hazy yellow color with a big white head, no lacing.

S - Smells like someone pissed in some lemonade. Seriously, that's what it smells like. Truly horrible skunked lemon and malts.

T - This is one of the all-time worst beers I have ever tasted. Disgusting, tastes like fizzy lemonade that has gone bad with a little bit of malt in it. I actually think I'd rather have a wine cooler.

M - A bit watery, and way carbonated. I don't know that it's super bad, but it's sure not adding anything to the experience.

D - It tastes so repulsive I couldn't get more than about a quarter of the way through it, and I really tried.

1.28/5  rDev -59.6%

This sounded good on paper. Lemonade, meet a wheat beer. Well, if they had used a decent lemonade and a mediocre wheat beer then maybe they would have had something. All this is, is a sickly, sweet mess on top of a less than mediocre wheat beer. Yuck.

1.29/5  rDev -59.3%

A- murky lemon yellow. bif foaming white head fizzles down fast with some spots of lace left behind. little bits of yeast float about in the brew.

S- lemon candy and dish soap with no other detectable aromas.

T- artificial and medicinal, lemon soap, some plain white bread in the finish with an unpleasant aftertaste.

MF- thin, fizzy, and starchy feeling. not all that refreshing due to the strange flavor.

D- i've made my own radlers by mixing home made lemonade with a good german beer, but this is undrinkable for me.

1.3/5  rDev -59%

1.31/5  rDev -58.7%

1.32/5  rDev -58.4%

1.35/5  rDev -57.4%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

1.36/5  rDev -57.1%

1.37/5  rDev -56.8%

1.39/5  rDev -56.2%

Tastes like lemon piss

1.43/5  rDev -54.9%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again.

1.43/5  rDev -54.9%

Tried to figure out if I was drinking lemon pledge or carbonated lemonade with a strong alcohol feel.

1.44/5  rDev -54.6%