Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 636 | Ratings: 3,521
2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Once again, a big disappointment. I guess I am just not into these lemonady flavored beers. I'm with Myotus on this one. I will drink it in a pinch, but anything is better than Bud Light.

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

A hit of lemon followed by a little sweetness and rounding off into a light wheat taste. A great beer.

Taste Rating in Words: It's an afternoon at the lake, a summer day floating in the pool, an afternoon running through the sprinkler.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured at 40°F from a 12oz bottle (no date) into a nonic pint glass. Consumed on 09Sep16.
SMELL: Strong odors of artificial lemonade are slightly offset by mild wheat aromas along with subtle scents of honey and spicy hops.
3 out of 5
TASTE: The palate is instantly violated at first sip by strong flavors of bittersweet, artificial lemonade. The bitterness is immediately bolstered as mild flavors of stale cracker strike the taste buds. Mild flavors of wheat and grass attempt to rectify the initial failure, but fail to do so. Not even the trailing of the mild spicy hop and subtle honey flavors can ameliorate the overpowering bitterness.
2.5 out of 5
NOTE: What smelled mediocre, proceeded to taste displeasing. The bitterness from the lemonade and grain profile was too much to bear. This was not a terrible beer as I would prefer this over Bud Light any day, but this certainly made my foul beer list.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Hazy yellow with an off-white head.

Smell: A bit weak, mainly citrus/grapefruit.

Taste: Initially disappointing, but it grows on you as you drink. Starts off really weak but grows to a medium flavored slightly bitter grapefruit.

Feel: Light, crisp, refreshing as any good radler should be.

Overall: I was initially unimpressed, but as I drank more the flavor body grew into a very enjoyable drink. I will no longer look down on people who drink this regularly!

3.74/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy straw with a medium sized fluffy head. The aroma is of bright lemon oil, some lemon juice, and a refreshing wheat quality. The flavor is simple and refreshing, dominated by the lemon with nice notes from the underlying wheat. The mouthfeel is light and fizzy. While I have had this Midwestern classic before, this is my first time thinking about and reviewing it. It is reasonably good and refreshing on a hot day. I see why it is such a blockbuster seller.

2.86/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I find this brew rather pedestrian. Drinkable but not a top fruit brew. Too much lemon. Want fruit? Try a Sam Adams Porch Rocker or a Lancaster Strawberry Wheat.

4.44/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had tried this a few years ago, but I didn't like it. It doesn't taste like beer. I considered it an error that this should be included in the category of beer. But after having seen the movie "Lemonade Mouth" I had been on a lemonade kick drinking everything and anything with a lemon taste. Precious got some of this at Costco so I thought I'd try it again.

It pours out a rich urine color, like the way your urine is when you're really sick. It's a cloudy yellowish color with very little head. The smell is a sweet lemony smell, and the taste is sublime, very lemony and very sweet. It's got a very light feel with a low alcohol content so you can drink a few or more than a few bottles while you're grilling on your deck on a summer afternoon and not worry about becoming sloshed. A perfect summer drink.

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

When done right a shandy is a beautiful thing. The first time I had one I was at a LegoLand in Germany. Their flavor was lemony with a touch of heff, one of the best summertime beers for me hands down. Then there is this.

Looks- like a watered down American Lager. Dare I say Bud Light with a "is it supposed to be that color?"

Smell- there's lemon in here and they are not afraid to let you smell it.

Taste- I love Lemonheads, they have to be in my top 3 candies of all time(COAT?). You know that puckering your mouth does when you pop one in? Well this beer does it as well, but in a very disgusting way. Kind of like those old bitter beer face commercials.

Feel(s)- like it shouldn't be drunk by humans, livestock, or monkeys used in animal testing. Unless thats a more humane way of putting them down, the monkeys that is.

Overall this is bad beer, which is surprising given that I like almost every other offering I've had from Leinenkugel, including its cousin, the Lemon Berry Shandy. If you see any of their other Shandy's/Radlers grab one of those instead.

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love lemonade and I love beer. Well I get both here so that you a really great. Not the most exciting beer in the world, but it goes great with a cigar on a really hot Texas summer afternoon. You might not gain any craft beer aficionado points drinking this, but it is very refeshing and just plain tastes good.

3.67/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass
No bottling dates

A: Murky to the point of being opaque, very light pale yellow, large white head, minimal lacing. 3

S: Huge lemon, some wheat characters, decent amount of sweetness. Not much else, but I like it quite a bit. Like a wheaty lemonade. 4

T: Like the nose it's predominately lemon, fairly tart and some sugary lemonade sweetness. Sweet wheat to round it out. 3.5

M/D: Medium body, carbonation appropriate, very good drinkability although it's rather filling. 3.75

O: I know this beer gets crushed on BA but I actually like it for what it is, and find that's it's a nice refreshing drink on a hot SC summer day. 3.75

2.84/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured an extremely light yellow color, probably due to the lemon and it has decent carbonation. The smell was sweet with a very powerful lemon scent. The taste was thin and smooth, with a strong lemon taste but also a grainy/wheat taste as well. This went down very smooth.

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%

When I was first introduced to the Summer Shandy a few summers ago, I was not quite sure what to expect. Then I realized, it is rather like the radler that is served in Germany. Beer plus lemonade, it works. Yes, it's a bit sweeter than some may like, but I find this to be an excellent summertime, post-yardwork refreshment.

2.39/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Light yellow color, with a decent head when poured into the glass. The taste of lemon is very clear. This beer is refreshing when served very cold and is good for a hot summer.

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Was what I expected from reading other reviews. Good for a really hot Summer day, but nothing more. Kind of interesting during the first sip, then totally lost what little appeal it had. Tastes like artificial lemonade mixed with cheap beer. No do over for me.

2.87/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Treacle. Dislike flavored, sweetened coffees as much as most flavored beers. If I want lemon or lemonade or any other kind of fruit essence or juice in my beer - why would I not add it myself?!?!?!

3.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

APPEARANCE: A hazy yellow with a finger of white foamy head that settles quickly. Minor lacing, good looking carbonation when you rock the glass.
AROMA: Tart lemon, maybe getting some bready malt or yeast. Smells like a wheat beer.
TASTE: Artificial lemon, sweet, a little cloying.
FEEL: Average carbonation, medium thin body, fairly crisp.
OVERALL: Like a cross between a typical adjunct lager and a Mike's lemonade.

2.83/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Too lemony and not sweet enough for me, though probably perfect for many. I'm used to cheap lemonade mixed with cheap beer when it comes to shandy and it seems the Co. was going for something a bit more upmarket and Whole Foods-ish. Which is great if it's your thing, it just ain't mine in this instance.

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

Im not doing a full category by category review of this. Heres the deal. Is it refreshing? hell yea. Is it sweet? hell yea. Is it closer to Mike's Hard than a beer? Yea kinda. But it is a refreshing drink for a hot day and is what it is which is a weird style of beer and not great at that.

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells like friggen' lemonade. At first - letting it open up will reveal a little bit of "beery" character. The first part of the taste is pretty beer-like (think a standard lager), while the second half shows off the lemon some. There's literally nothing else to this. I do think the feel is refreshing, but it could be a little less lumpy in spots. Meh, it is what it is, and I've had worse. Doubt I'd drink it again unless I got particularly curious (and shit like that does happen pretty frequently).

2.53/5: Well...I certainly don't hate it

3.37/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Typical shandy. Light yellow colour with a white head. Smells of lemon. Tastes more tart than smooth. Nothing special. Alright to knock down a couple on a warm summer day.

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From notes taken 04/26/16:

Very pale yellow, mostly opaque. Fluffy, pure white head of good retention. Lemon juice aroma, angel food cake. Lemons, bready wheat, yeast notes on the palate. Toasty cereal in retro-olfaction, mild citrus, almost more lime than lemon in aftertaste. Bready aspects are what make this beer, in my opinion. The lemon is mediocre, still good for refreshment. Light to medium in body, spritzy then nearly creamy. Overall, nothing special next to the Orange or the Grapefruit Shandy.

4.37/5  rDev +40.1%

I love refreshing beers. This one is definitely sweet and citrusy, and is not for everyone. I enjoy it when I want something that is going to go down easy in the hot sun.

2.94/5  rDev -5.8%

The smell and taste are equally and strongly of lemons. It's a very sweet drink. The feel is light bodied and heavily carbonated. It looks and tastes a lot like store bought carbonated lemonade, like MinuteMaid. There is a light aftertaste of lemons. Overall, it's alright if you want a sweet, lemon beer.

4.06/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light, hazy yellow with a decent bright white head. Obviously, the lemon taste & smell dominates this brew. Tastes like somewhat watered down lemonade and I'm okay with that - if I'm in the mood for it. Super refreshing and definitely perfect for a hot summer day at the pool. It isn't complex and doesn't pack much to brag about, but it is good for what it is, I suppose. A refreshing shandy on a hot summer day.

4.56/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow with a soapy white head. Lots of streaming bubbles and some particles floating about.

Smell is a wonderful nose cleaning lemony citrus smell that overpowers other smells that I may pick up.

Taste is a wonderful tart lemon snap. Taste reminds me of those lemon head candies I used to get as a kid.

Mouth feel is awesome! You take a drink and the tart forces your tongue to the roof of your mouth in a bizarre attempt to try to squeeze more out of it, and BAM the beer just disappears. So clean and crisp it really amazed me.

I am so happy the wife talked me into buying a six of this during our last Total Wine journey. And there will be many more of these coming home that is for damn sure. We live in Vegas where the summers get hot enough to burn the hairs off your nut sack and I can see a cooler full of ice and Summer Shandy going to the park and fixing up some serious damn BBQ!

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company