Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 637 | Ratings: 3,530
3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Murky pastel lemon that looks as much like lemonade as it does like beer. Up top is a frothily creamy head of cumulus cloud white that sets off the color of the liquid beautifully. It doesn't hurt that the cap looks as good and leaves as much lace as your average hefe weizen. No matter what Summer Shandy tastes like, Leinenkugel has nailed the look.

Here's where it gets tough. Do I look at this beverage through my usual beer lens or through a shandy lens? The obvious answer is through a shandy lens. The nose is wonderful. It smells like lemon tart filling with a hint of wheatiness in the background. I'm going to check my beer geek bona fides at the door and say that this is just about the best smelling shandy that I can imagine.

If only Summer Shandy tasted as good as it smells, it would have been accorded legendary status among the Leinenkugel lineup, at least as far as I'm concerned. Damn, why couldn't they have figured out flavor as thoroughly as they figured out aroma?

I think the problem is that there's too much lackluster American pale wheat ale and not enough lemonade. I wouldn't mind if the base beer was of higher quality, but it's grainy and bland and doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. I'm sure most people will slam this beverage for being insufficiently beer-like, but given the various flavors at play, I'd like to see as much sweet lemon zestiness as is present in the nose.

The mouthfeel has been designed for maximum drinkability. Unfortunately, it's a little too light, bordering on frankly watery on the swallow. I liked the gentle carbonation initially. However, by the bottom of the bottle, it makes Summer Shandy feel blah.

I think it's pretty obvious that the determining factor in the quality of any given shandy is the quality of the beer (all lemonade uses a pretty standard recipe, after all). I hate to say it, but this brewery isn't known for the quality of its beer... which necessarily limits the quality of any shandy that they could produce. If Leinenkugel has determined that this stuff will increase their sales, more power to them.

1.43/5  rDev -54.2%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again.

3.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at Texas Arizona in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a rather cloudy pale lemon yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some bright yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of lemon citrus and adjunct grainy malt sweetness. This beer smells like the lemonade that is used in the making of it.

T: The beer is slightly sweet with a fairly moderate flavor of lemonade over a lighter flavor of grainy adjunct malts and just a touch of grassy hops. Minimal amounts of bitterness are noted.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Extremely easy to drink and refreshing, perfect for enjoying out in the sun of a really hot summer day.

3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

I shared this with the mrs. -into a pint chilled.

The color is slightly hazy like lemonade golden yellow with rocky white cap that retains ok and has small beading. The carbonation is visible and lace sticks haphazardly. The smell is kind of lemony, but a little like lemon pledge without much beyond that. the feel is good with slight juicy citric bite and refreshing feel of semi-high carbonation with slightly clean and semi-dry finish with only a slight amount of sweetness throughout. Tangy and somewhat like lemonade in that it starts sweet and the tartness comes later.

The tastes is actually better than I expected with nice lemony and slight citrus peel tinges with slight malt flavor rounding out the flavor with slight astringent in the back of the throat like lemonade but the shandy maintains a balance of mild malt with tart lemon and seems to finish uncannily clean. Overall what can I say - I like this as a summer quencher and could probably enjoy this year round it is really decent if you enjoy arnold palmers or tea coolers depending on what you refer to them as. The malt is mild and the lemony flavor refreshes in a natural way. I consider this pretty decent for what it is.

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

A: The beer pours a cloudy bright yellow color with almost no head, just a few white bubbles.

S: Mostly just smells like lemonade. It actually has a nice tartness to it, as if there might be some real lemons in it. Slightly sweet/sugary, though. Not much in the way of the base wheat beer.

T: Not quite as good as it smells. There is a nice lemonade flavor, but it's a bit watery. Somewhat grassy with a bit of straw flavor. Like the aroma, there isn't much in the way of actual "beer".

M: Light bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Actually didn't mind this one too much. The aroma was much better than the flavor, though.

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

Nearly no head and definitely no lace. Cloudy, chalky even. Lemon yellow color.

Strong lemon aroma. I've never had a shandy before, but I imagine this what it might smell like.

This tastes like lemonade mixed with a pale ale, which I guess is exactly what it should taste like. Hard to evaluate since the lemon is so dominant--from initial taste through the swallow and aftertaste. I would say that it is refreshing after walking 12 miles, it doesn't necessarily make this a good beer--just easy to drink. Soft drink carbonation but decently bodied.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had on tap at some bar in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

A: Served in a pint glass the beer is straw/light yellow in color, slightly hazy, with a one finger white head on top. Decent head retention and moderate lacing.

S: Reminded me of very strong and tart lemonade. It was very sweet and sugary, not much else came through at all.

T: Very similar to the aroma, lots of very sugary lemons. It reminds of cheap lemonade mix that I used to use as a kid, except this tastes like when you add WAY too much of the mix and a ton of the sugar sits at the bottom of your glass.

M: Surprisingly crisp and refreshing, the slightly sour twang is nice actually.

O: Honestly, better than I expected it to be, but still, a bit over the top in terms of sweetness and not very beer-like either.

2.99/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. Hazy and a lighter, golden yellow color with a thin, frothy white head to it. Decent lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lemon-aid, slightly lemony household cleaner type of flavor to it. Just a hint of a grainy, sweet, beer base to it.

The taste shows a little more of a sweeter, grainy, beer quality to it up front. The finish is all about the lemonaid with a tart, lemony quality to it.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. overall, it was a decent beverage but not a very good beer. I think I'd rather just have an actual lemon-aid.

2.98/5  rDev -4.5%

Wow, am I ashamed & embarrassed! I am supposed to be a retired high school English teacher & a writer of some merit, but I CANnot tell from either of the below reviews if one of them was from a CAN. My local, in-person trader, tone77, to the rescue! We spilt the cost of a mixed 12-pack & he was gracious enough to pick it up & give me first choice of which six. The following review is definitely, unequivocally in support of The CANQuest (tm).

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "An Adventurous Taste Perfect for Summertime Fun."

I Crack!ed it open and CANducted the first inverted Glug in recent memory. This resulted in over a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head with excellent retention. Heck, it looked like meringue atop lemon pie filling! Why? Color was a cloudy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled like artificial lemons, too sweet to be natural. The CAN mentions "... with natural lemonade flavor added". Say what?!? Lemonade does not occur naturally, as far as I know. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, not precisely watery, but nothing to get excited about. Taste was like an interpretation of lemonade, like a mix packet that you might buy a cup of from some enterprising young kid during the summer. I am hip to the idea of a Radler, but until this site lists/recognizes it as a style, I CAN only judge it as a Fruit Beer. Its frutiness was sadly lacking. Finish was semi-sweet, but only because the lemon flavor gave it a mild tartness to cut through the sugary mélange.

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

I assume that the above was my CAN review (unsure), but I will give it a whirl from the bottle today (Sa, 12 March 2016).

From the bottle: "Brewed with pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."

Another accursed screw-top bottle! Death to bottles & especially screw-tops! I just let the beer fly into the glass out of frustration, but it di produce two-plus fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with great retention as a result. Color was a downright cloudy Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2). Nose had a candy-like lemon sweetness. I guess that is why lemons are prominent on the label. Mouthfeel was light, airy, but creamy! The taste was like lemon sherbet - lemon, but with a slight vanilla sweetness. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart, but not so overt as to be puckering. It would probably be very refreshing on a hot, humid summer's day.

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours out of the bottle a murky cloudy light yellow color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. It looks a lot like the liquid that comes out of one of those plastic lemons only this has a small head on it for a minute or two. The smell is pretty heavy on the lemon. There's a faint spicy wheat beer aroma deep underneath, but I mostly get lemons. The flavor is and odd mix of beer and lemon juice. It tastes like carbonated lemonade with a hint of macro wheat beer mixed in there. Medium to thin body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet and tart kind of mouthfeel happening. This one didn't really do it for me.
The lemony aspect of this I kind of enjoyed, but I think that the base beer that they used is just south of lackluster.

2.61/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy, cloudy whitish yellow with a thin lacing of crackling white head. It smells like artificial lemonade powder and grassy hops. The flavor is very similar; artificial lemonade, grassy hops, faint grainy notes. The mouthfeel is light bodied, a bit syrupy, sugary, but smooth.

This isn't nearly as bad as some other shandy-style beers I've had, but at the same time it's not good by any means. This is more lemonade than beer and artificial and sugary at that. I'll pass.

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours lemon-drop yellow with a thin white head that vanishes.

Smells like lemon merangue pie with a powered "artificial" lemonade mix. Interesting - where's the beer?

The taste is of powered lemonade - ala from a mix- slight lemon merangue. Sweet. I guess this is what they were going for...Again - any "beer" flavor is hardly detectable - some maltiness at most. Hardly, though.

Light-bodied, weak, a bit watery, with a lemonade dryness.

The concept is fine - but, this is hardly a "shandy". Regardless, this will be suited to the people who like lemonade from a powder mix with just a tad of undetectable alcohol. Too sweet, in an "artificial" way, for me, though lemonade dryness almost makes up for it - almost.

3.24/5  rDev +3.8%

The Summer Shandy to me is alot like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnov Ice or spikes countrytime lemonade. The appearance is yellow with with head. The nose is very lemony....not much else. The taste is a combonation of lemmon and grains. The mouthfeel is fine....too tart for me and wouldnt drink this stuff very often.

3.04/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a hazy, opaque, clouded-yellow coloring that is pale and murky, with a thin, filmy coating of white head along the top. Aromas of roasted wheat are drowned out by a tart, sweet lemon zest bouncing out of the glass. Flavors are very lemon heavy, with a tart, effervescence that hits the sides of the tongue and the roof of the mouth like someone poured a Fresca into a wheat beer. Smooth, roasted wheat backbone that supports the lemondrop sweet main palate. The aftertaste is tangy and syrupy sweet, like you just ate a bag of lemon Jolly Ranchers. The finish is smooth and light, with a slight effervescence to it, as well. All in all, I can see how some people like this, but it is definitely not my mug of beer.

2.99/5  rDev -4.2%

12 ounce bottle without freshness information.

Pours light, cloudy and lemony. Larger near white head slowly shrinks. Leaves decent tongues of thicker stickage.

Nose of lemon pledge (you know the cleaning product)

Lemon theme is bold and continuing. Lemon note is kinda artificial tasting and off putting.

Only time I could see enjoying this would be on a very hot day and if I was very thirsty. Definitely not something I will likely try again

Picked up at the Ramstein shoppette. Buying American beer in Germany. Why? Not impressed. Doesn’t quite hit the same plane as a German radler. Not enough of the lemonade, just tastes watered down.....

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%

I think this one should be filed under fruit beer. There's a big, tart lemonade flavor up front with a bit of wheat flavor following. The aroma has a bit of lemon. It's kind of like they took a very pale wheat beer and dumped Country Time lemonade mix into it. If you love lemons and NEED them in beer, go for this otherwise, its not much more than lawnmower beer.

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%

Notes from 7/27/11. On tap at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee.

A - Cloudy medium yellow with half a finger of white head

S - Lemonade. No malts or hops noticeable in the nose.

T - Lemonade at first with no obvious beer flavours. However, the finish has some grainy malt notes. Very sweet.

M - Light body. Somewhat heavily carbonated.

O - An interesting beer but not one that I would ever order again.

2.49/5  rDev -20.2%

A- Pours a two-fingered fizzy. white head on a cloudy pale body. Pour head retention, some lacing.

S- Smells like lemon juice...weird bread?

T- Taste more like a soda than a beer, Squirt comes to mind. Sugary sweet. There's this weird off-putting taste in there somewhere. Refreshing citrus aftertaste.

M- Very carbonated, would hate to puke this up D: Watery mouthfeel.

D/O- Points scored on the drinkability aspect, not the "overall" one...aspects evened out used for my score here. Made me burp a lot due to the high carbonation. If you enjoy this one, seek out the Potosi Steamboat Shandy, I found it to be much more enjoyable.

2.72/5  rDev -12.8%

Thought I'd try this since it was free. Went to the Coors pre-game party for the Rockies home-opener. I'm shy to pay for any Leiny's after my horrible run-in with Sunset Wheat...

Pours cloudy yellow, hollow foamy head. Not all that big. Actually looks like urine.

Aroma is 99% lemon, without the pucker. The last 1% is stale malt.

Taste is lemonade without the acidic puckering. It's a good thing this one has a ton of lemony-ness because the malt is ugly. It's like burnt cardboard. The lemon covers this up.
Thin feel, some carbonation separates it from unsweetened lemonade. Glad it was free

3.15/5  rDev +1%

The beer pours a cloudy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale wheat scent along with a citrusy lemon zest. The taste is average. It has a very light wheat flavor. It's a bit watery and is covered up with a lame lemon essence. The lemon flavor is weak and doesn't lend itself well to the rest of the palate. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is not a very good seasonal at all. It should have more lemon flavor as well as more malt content. This comes across as a weak wheat ale with an even weaker lemon content.

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head The aroma is straight lemonade. The flavor is more of the same. Nothing but lemons and the slightest bit of grain or wheat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.16/5  rDev +1.3%

I received this bottle from a Leinenkugel rep, so why not review it? It pours a very, very cloudy gold in color with a soapy looking bright white head. It kind of looks like a quality Berliner weiss. The aromas consist of Country Time lemonade mix with a light pale malt finish. It smells artificial but it is appealing on the nose. The flavors too are of premixed lemonade with a light and dry malt finish. There isn't any complexity but it is what it is. It's insanely light and easy to drink. This is a great summertime option if you're wanting something non-BMC and with some flavor. Like most of their "flavored" beers the flavors presented seem artificial so that stops me from giving them too much credit for this tasty brew. It's a fine shandy.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company