Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,568 |  Reviews: 641
3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

I shared this with the mrs. -into a pint chilled.

The color is slightly hazy like lemonade golden yellow with rocky white cap that retains ok and has small beading. The carbonation is visible and lace sticks haphazardly. The smell is kind of lemony, but a little like lemon pledge without much beyond that. the feel is good with slight juicy citric bite and refreshing feel of semi-high carbonation with slightly clean and semi-dry finish with only a slight amount of sweetness throughout. Tangy and somewhat like lemonade in that it starts sweet and the tartness comes later.

The tastes is actually better than I expected with nice lemony and slight citrus peel tinges with slight malt flavor rounding out the flavor with slight astringent in the back of the throat like lemonade but the shandy maintains a balance of mild malt with tart lemon and seems to finish uncannily clean. Overall what can I say - I like this as a summer quencher and could probably enjoy this year round it is really decent if you enjoy arnold palmers or tea coolers depending on what you refer to them as. The malt is mild and the lemony flavor refreshes in a natural way. I consider this pretty decent for what it is.

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

A: The beer pours a cloudy bright yellow color with almost no head, just a few white bubbles.

S: Mostly just smells like lemonade. It actually has a nice tartness to it, as if there might be some real lemons in it. Slightly sweet/sugary, though. Not much in the way of the base wheat beer.

T: Not quite as good as it smells. There is a nice lemonade flavor, but it's a bit watery. Somewhat grassy with a bit of straw flavor. Like the aroma, there isn't much in the way of actual "beer".

M: Light bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Actually didn't mind this one too much. The aroma was much better than the flavor, though.

2.98/5  rDev -4.5%

Wow, am I ashamed & embarrassed! I am supposed to be a retired high school English teacher & a writer of some merit, but I CANnot tell from either of the below reviews if one of them was from a CAN. My local, in-person trader, tone77, to the rescue! We spilt the cost of a mixed 12-pack & he was gracious enough to pick it up & give me first choice of which six. The following review is definitely, unequivocally in support of The CANQuest (tm).

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."; "An Adventurous Taste Perfect for Summertime Fun."

I Crack!ed it open and CANducted the first inverted Glug in recent memory. This resulted in over a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head with excellent retention. Heck, it looked like meringue atop lemon pie filling! Why? Color was a cloudy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled like artificial lemons, too sweet to be natural. The CAN mentions "... with natural lemonade flavor added". Say what?!? Lemonade does not occur naturally, as far as I know. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, not precisely watery, but nothing to get excited about. Taste was like an interpretation of lemonade, like a mix packet that you might buy a cup of from some enterprising young kid during the summer. I am hip to the idea of a Radler, but until this site lists/recognizes it as a style, I CAN only judge it as a Fruit Beer. Its frutiness was sadly lacking. Finish was semi-sweet, but only because the lemon flavor gave it a mild tartness to cut through the sugary mélange.

I CAN tell you that I was not a huge fan of this one last year around this time, bottle give it another try. I CAN't wait to get back on The CANQuest (TM)!

Wow! I have to give it props for presentation. Two fingers of bone-white head above a cloudy banana-yellow colored beer!?! It looked like liquid lemon meringue pie! It smelled like it, too, that or Lemon Pledge. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was a sugary lemonade. I would have preferred it to tend more towards tart and/or dry, but the inherent sweetness was not to my liking. Finish was still too sweet for me to really get behind it. I am a member of Leinie's Lodge, but I am not putting this in my canoe (unless Pocahontas is coming along and she would like to drink it, in which case ...). Nah, this is just too close to kiddie alcopop for my taste.

I assume that the above was my CAN review (unsure), but I will give it a whirl from the bottle today (Sa, 12 March 2016).

From the bottle: "Brewed with pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Since 1867."

Another accursed screw-top bottle! Death to bottles & especially screw-tops! I just let the beer fly into the glass out of frustration, but it di produce two-plus fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with great retention as a result. Color was a downright cloudy Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2). Nose had a candy-like lemon sweetness. I guess that is why lemons are prominent on the label. Mouthfeel was light, airy, but creamy! The taste was like lemon sherbet - lemon, but with a slight vanilla sweetness. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart, but not so overt as to be puckering. It would probably be very refreshing on a hot, humid summer's day.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

3.8/5  rDev +21.8%

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours out of the bottle a murky cloudy light yellow color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. It looks a lot like the liquid that comes out of one of those plastic lemons only this has a small head on it for a minute or two. The smell is pretty heavy on the lemon. There's a faint spicy wheat beer aroma deep underneath, but I mostly get lemons. The flavor is and odd mix of beer and lemon juice. It tastes like carbonated lemonade with a hint of macro wheat beer mixed in there. Medium to thin body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet and tart kind of mouthfeel happening. This one didn't really do it for me.
The lemony aspect of this I kind of enjoyed, but I think that the base beer that they used is just south of lackluster.

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.24/5  rDev +3.8%

The Summer Shandy to me is alot like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnov Ice or spikes countrytime lemonade. The appearance is yellow with with head. The nose is very lemony....not much else. The taste is a combonation of lemmon and grains. The mouthfeel is fine....too tart for me and wouldnt drink this stuff very often.

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

2.61/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy, cloudy whitish yellow with a thin lacing of crackling white head. It smells like artificial lemonade powder and grassy hops. The flavor is very similar; artificial lemonade, grassy hops, faint grainy notes. The mouthfeel is light bodied, a bit syrupy, sugary, but smooth.

This isn't nearly as bad as some other shandy-style beers I've had, but at the same time it's not good by any means. This is more lemonade than beer and artificial and sugary at that. I'll pass.

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

2.99/5  rDev -4.2%

12 ounce bottle without freshness information.

Pours light, cloudy and lemony. Larger near white head slowly shrinks. Leaves decent tongues of thicker stickage.

Nose of lemon pledge (you know the cleaning product)

Lemon theme is bold and continuing. Lemon note is kinda artificial tasting and off putting.

Only time I could see enjoying this would be on a very hot day and if I was very thirsty. Definitely not something I will likely try again

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours lemon-drop yellow with a thin white head that vanishes.

Smells like lemon merangue pie with a powered "artificial" lemonade mix. Interesting - where's the beer?

The taste is of powered lemonade - ala from a mix- slight lemon merangue. Sweet. I guess this is what they were going for...Again - any "beer" flavor is hardly detectable - some maltiness at most. Hardly, though.

Light-bodied, weak, a bit watery, with a lemonade dryness.

The concept is fine - but, this is hardly a "shandy". Regardless, this will be suited to the people who like lemonade from a powder mix with just a tad of undetectable alcohol. Too sweet, in an "artificial" way, for me, though lemonade dryness almost makes up for it - almost.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company