Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,671 |  Reviews: 658

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.71/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade color. Medium sized, smooth, creamy, white head. Head disappears pretty fast leaving only a slight patchy lace.

S - Lemon juice/lemonade dominates the nose to a point where it really just smells like lemonade. And more lemonade concentrate than fresh squeezed.

T - Also dominated by the lemonade flavor but there is at least some malty flavor mixed in. Finished with a strong malted wheat flavor with the lemon dying off at the end. More malt comes out as I drink more but it isn't really exciting. Two note beer with them coming and separate times.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Refreshing and crisp finish.

D - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage.

Notes: Two notes hit you at different times and neither is all that great or complex. It does its job of being a nice summer beverage. Not overly tart or sweet. A good alternative to lemonade without being overly sweet. As a beverage, it has its place, but as a beer it is sub par.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

"Weiss beer with lemonade"

Isn't that a Russ?

Hazy, ghostly white in hue with a tint of yellow; white head, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Good head retention, the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap. Not much lacing, some unorganized clumps. Good appearance, overall...

Lemonade dominates the nose, as it should, I suppose. Clean wheat notes are noticeable once my nose adjusts to the massive lemon/citrus zest aroma. I can't really knock the nose; it says what it is suppose to say. I could envision, say, AB brewing something like this and either make it smell like a malternative or much weaker. Inviting for what it is... and yes, I do need to qualify my statement and dampened my praise.

The lemonade taste is not as strong as the nose indicated, which is okay. Wheat characteristics are easily detectable. I like the balance of sweet and tart. Clearly, the base beer is not a Bavarian-style wheat, it is just an American wheat ale. Modest wheaty-sweat-tart aftertaste, which was agreeable. While the beer is simple, lacks complexity, it does deliver the goods. I hated this beer last year... I was close-minded. Sure, it is not great but like I said, it delivers for a summer seasonal. I bet this would kill on a 101 degree day. I see why this beer is popular.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, good mouthfeel; I like the clean, cleansing finish.

I am surprised by how much I like it as a summer seasonal. Granted, I'd rather mix my own Radler or Russ but this would do in a major pinch. Nothing to freak out about, nothing to bash... it is a descent, gimmicky beer. I must say, Leine does brew 4 really popular wheat ales (largely, for the non-BA crowd)... Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat. They found their niche, kudos to them.

2.25/5  rDev -29%

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours a great golden straw color, with a nice bit of head and great lacing for a wheat beer. Wonderful scent, a nice wheat/straw aroma with a strong lemon/lemonade scent (the lemon is a bit too strong, I wish the wheat came out just a little more). It has a great mixed flavor, a nice wheat beer with a huge lemonade hit (again, just a bit less lemon and a bit more wheat would've been excellent). It goes down exceptionally smooth, it would be horribly easy to drink a few of these while mowing the yard. A nice shandy. It's not a great pale wheat ale, but it is a great wheat ale with lemon/lemonade.

2.8/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Super hazy rusted yellow color. A fuzzy white head recedes to a good thick film. Light lines of lacing.

Aroma: Dried grass and lemon syrup.

Taste: A very straightforward taste of lemon candy and a bright seltzer kind of taste. Slight chalkiness.

Mouthfeel: Very chalky and carbonated, almost medicinal.

Overall: Heavy mouthfeel for a light, summery kind of beer. Too chalky, and reminded me of Lemonheads candy too much. Just not my thing.

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

07/28/2012
Very Lemony....Drank from a bottle, couldn't see much, but I imagine cloudy yellow.Normally I would not rate a beer this fruity, this high, but the lemon works very nicely for this summer beer.Strong carbonation; though artificial.Call me Crazy, I really enjoyed it. Great picnic beer. Ellie's 7th Birthday party.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%