Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,636 |  Reviews: 655
2.8/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Super hazy rusted yellow color. A fuzzy white head recedes to a good thick film. Light lines of lacing.

Aroma: Dried grass and lemon syrup.

Taste: A very straightforward taste of lemon candy and a bright seltzer kind of taste. Slight chalkiness.

Mouthfeel: Very chalky and carbonated, almost medicinal.

Overall: Heavy mouthfeel for a light, summery kind of beer. Too chalky, and reminded me of Lemonheads candy too much. Just not my thing.

2.25/5  rDev -29%

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

Had this one many times but needed to do my review on it anyway. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours like a 'unfiltered wheat' that is a hazy yellow with about a 1-finger white head that goes away very fast with very little lacing. The aroma is of lemons (it's made with lemonade) and grain. Very nice but not over powering. The taste is very pleasant and smooth and is a great summer brew. No bitter aftertaste. A great beer that will never let you down. One of my favorite summer brews! Lighter+-medium bodied with good carbonation.

3.81/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2.43/5  rDev -23.3%

This pale wheat ale is a cloudy yellow color and has a beige head. Poor retention. The nose has a mixture of grainy malt and wheat. The taste is light and has a decent amount of mild malts. A middling body is heavy on carbonation. Not the most drinkable in my book. Just too light.

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

2.06/5  rDev -35%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

2.93/5  rDev -7.6%

Im not doing a full category by category review of this. Heres the deal. Is it refreshing? hell yea. Is it sweet? hell yea. Is it closer to Mike's Hard than a beer? Yea kinda. But it is a refreshing drink for a hot day and is what it is which is a weird style of beer and not great at that.

2.91/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company