Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,670 |  Reviews: 658

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light lemony yellow color with short lived white cap.

Light aroma that reminds me of peach/apricots. I know it's lemon (brewer says so) but I get peach blossoms.

Tastes like a simple wheat beer sweetened with honey and spiked with lemon slices. I say honey because the brewer says honey is used but this brew isn't particularly sweet, nor is it particularly tart which one expects from lemon. Perhaps the honey is used to offset the lemon but the combination is a good one here keeping everything in balance.

Texture is light and sprightly.

I think I get a hint of mild hop flavor in the aftertaste but all the rest is honey lemon. Sounds icky but this brew is very well balanced.

3.02/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz can poured into a Brooklyn snifter. My dad loves this beer, so I bought him a 12pk for when he comes over to the house...figured I'd give one a shot on this warm summer night.

A - Pours a very hazy/cloudy translucent extra pale golden color - somewhat fruit juice like. A strong finger of very fizzy soda-y head rises on the pour and loudly disintegrates to the surface leaving a mono-layer of bubbles for a collar and nothing else. Not that impressive for a wheat based beer.

S - Pure lemonade on the nose complete with a sugary sweetness on top of the fruit. I like lemonade and enjoy this smell too, but its difficult to reconcile this as beer from the aroma.

T - Yep, lemonade on the tongue too...but not a clean lemonade flavor, almost like there is a splash of orange juice? in there too. The faintest hint of wheat can be found as well as a sprinkle of hoppy bitterness.

M - Thin, fruity/lemony, Sprite-like, fizzy and very prickly strong carbonation level.

O - Objectively, this isn't a very good beer. In fact it doesn't even resemble beer...Mike's Hard Lemonade is more beer-like than this. This being said, I kinda enjoy this on its own, standing by itself without attaching a label to it. Hot day, mowing the lawn, a 12pk could disappear quickly...just think of it as a refreshing lemon drink with a touch of alcohol in it...it's not bad. I like it, but this isn't beer!

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.02/5  rDev -36.3%

Appears a hazy golden yellow with a 2 finger thick white head and some light lace. Very pretty beer.

Smells like lemon oil or cheap lemonade. Some sweet wheat/malt fighting its way thru, but this is pure artificial lemon and very un-beerlikee.

This is awful. Take a very light wheat beer and mix in a Sprite with a good squeeze of lemon. There it is.

Well carbonated and light bodied, which was good, because it helped get this beer down. Overall, I drank the pint, but it sucked. Lemon soda with a beer in there somewhere. Avoid this.

2.78/5  rDev -12.3%

This one is certainly unique. I'm somewhat familiar with the shandy recipe, but never had one bottled.

Cloudy but very pale. Not a lot of head, leaves a soapy rim. The aroma is a little weak, clearly some sugary lemonade but few other hints as to the contents. Lemon rind for sure. The flavor is lemon-astringent at first, the wheat keeps things even and drinkable. Ever so slightly reminiscent of Lemon Pledge.

Overall, I can see a market for this one, albeit a small one. It's a little easier on the way down than a Mike's Hard, not exactly a malternative but somewhere shy of a beer. Definitely drink cold, wouldn't hurt to have a beach handy.

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap this beer was a light golden color with a fluffy white head. It reminded me of a lemon meringue pie. The retention was only so-so though it did stick around as a collar and the lacing was scattered.The aroma was of lemons with hints of floral hops behind that. The flavors too were dominated by lemons but as it warmed up I tasted some crystal malt and a light note of bready malt. It started sweet but finished dry helping it to be a highly refreshing beer/shandy. The body was medium/light, the mouthfeel average and the carbonation a bit prickly.

3.33/5  rDev +5%

It was a hot summer night... Meatloaf is ringing in my ears. Actually, it's a hot spring night, but the perfect time for something refreshing like a shandy. Tasted 28 May 2014.

Pours cloudy pale lemon-straw yellow. One finger of white head, fizzy. Okay retention, not much lacing. Looks like carbonated lemonade.

Smells like carbonated lemonade. Mostly I get lemons, with a bit of sugar to complement them. Not much of the beer in there, but I'm okay with that.

Taste starts well, when it's just the lemon, but then the beer shows up, and I'm disappointed. It just sort of falls flat, with emptiness where there should be flavor, and only a faint bitter twinge to even let me know it's there. I want it to either support or contrast with the citrus acidity more than it does.

Feel is good. Light, fizzy, lasting just long enough before it dries up thoroughly.

This is my first shandy, and I'm let down. Lemonade plus good beer sounds delicious. This is lemonade plus mediocre beer.

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%

3.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy lemonade color
Aroma-- Faint wheat and lemon zest
Taste--Let me preface this by saying that this beer was consumed after working in the yard on a 95-degree day. Tasted of subtle wheat and definite lemon. Light-bodied and very drinkable and refreshing.(Would have gone great over ice)
Let's face it, this is not a hard-core "big character" beer, but at 4.2ABV on a super hot day you can't go wrong with the "refreshment" aspect and "sessionability" of this beer. Pairs well with extreme humidity and thirst.

2.91/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

3.74/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a hazy straw with a medium sized fluffy head. The aroma is of bright lemon oil, some lemon juice, and a refreshing wheat quality. The flavor is simple and refreshing, dominated by the lemon with nice notes from the underlying wheat. The mouthfeel is light and fizzy. While I have had this Midwestern classic before, this is my first time thinking about and reviewing it. It is reasonably good and refreshing on a hot day. I see why it is such a blockbuster seller.

2.43/5  rDev -23.3%

This pale wheat ale is a cloudy yellow color and has a beige head. Poor retention. The nose has a mixture of grainy malt and wheat. The taste is light and has a decent amount of mild malts. A middling body is heavy on carbonation. Not the most drinkable in my book. Just too light.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company