Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 636 | Ratings: 3,521
3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Instead of most summer beers which are a beer with lemonade flavor, this is a lemonade with lemonade flavor. More comparable to Mike's Hard Lemonade, minus the severe heartburn. This is very tastey stuff; potentially the most refreshing summer beer you can buy. I think it's great, although It's certainly on the fringes of the "malt beverage" catagory. The big difference, though, is no cloying sweetness or obvious sugar additives. I'll be stocking up of this for the summer months.

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

The shandy to me is a symbol of summer. I still look forward every year to seeing these guys on the shelves at the local liquor store. The color of the beer is a cloudy yellow with a white small foam head. This beer smells like a nice tall glass of lemonade to me more than a beer. The taste is more like a lemonade drink than a beer to me but I really do enjoy the taste due to the refreshing feel that comes with it. The name says it all this "beer" is definitely taylor made for those hot summer days spent on the hammock.

Definitely not a bad beer at all, but as I grow older I find myself more drawn to the hoppy citrus flavors than the straight lemonade approach.

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

4.44/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had tried this a few years ago, but I didn't like it. It doesn't taste like beer. I considered it an error that this should be included in the category of beer. But after having seen the movie "Lemonade Mouth" I had been on a lemonade kick drinking everything and anything with a lemon taste. Precious got some of this at Costco so I thought I'd try it again.

It pours out a rich urine color, like the way your urine is when you're really sick. It's a cloudy yellowish color with very little head. The smell is a sweet lemony smell, and the taste is sublime, very lemony and very sweet. It's got a very light feel with a low alcohol content so you can drink a few or more than a few bottles while you're grilling on your deck on a summer afternoon and not worry about becoming sloshed. A perfect summer drink.

1.7/5  rDev -45.5%

Unfortunately, in spite of my love for Leine's Sunset Wheat, I have yet to enjoy any of their other varieties. Although not as sickening as the Berry Weiss, this beer is no exception. It smells and tastes exactly like watered down lemonade. It reminds of Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I dislike, as it tastes nothing like beer. I imagine Leinenkugel is attempting to copy Radler (A combination of beer and Sprite), as this made me think of the Radler I drank in Germany. However, there is not enough beer flavor to this brew to make it enjoyable. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

2.84/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured an extremely light yellow color, probably due to the lemon and it has decent carbonation. The smell was sweet with a very powerful lemon scent. The taste was thin and smooth, with a strong lemon taste but also a grainy/wheat taste as well. This went down very smooth.

1.97/5  rDev -36.9%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back.

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

1.66/5  rDev -46.8%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

4.15/5  rDev +33%

This is a really surprisingly tasty beer. I had one straight out of a bottle at a party and liked it so much I wanted to give it a real taste at home. The ale taste is low end but the lemonade flavor perks it right up and makes this a very drinkable beer.

2.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

3.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a thick, weaky, frothy head, not really thick and impressive. The beer is a hazy, cloudy yellow. The smell is nothing to be impressed by, but not offensive either. The beer is a bit syrup like, or cheap, not super hight quality in terms of being a lemonade beer. This is an easily drinkable, but not outstanding brew. I've had it before, I'll have it again, and I enjoy it, but it isn't anything to be wowed by.

It tastes like lemon. I'm not going to lie, the lemon was over powering and I didn't much care for it. If you like a strong lemon flavor, this may be the beer for you.
Leinenliugel's - Honey Weiss. This wasn't as bad, You could taste the honey in it. It wasn't a particular strong wheat beer or that memorable seeing how I just drank it and nothing really stands out.

2.39/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Light yellow color, with a decent head when poured into the glass. The taste of lemon is very clear. This beer is refreshing when served very cold and is good for a hot summer.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Better than I was expecting, never having had shandy before. I appreciate the fact that it does taste like "beer with lemonade," and not some sort of weird lemon-infused sports drink. The tastes blend pretty darn well, and it makes for a refreshing drink. I'm not sure if drinking a lot of it in a sitting would sit really well with me, (I get a sense that the lemon vs. beer might give me a stomach ache down the line) but it would be a good lawnmower beer.

On a side-note, I wonder if the beer the lemonade is blended with is Leinenkugel's Original or something different?

4.06/5  rDev +30.1%

Very drinkable beer, not a strong beer aftertaste, almost watery, which most people like anyways, nice limon flavor, not so much limeonade but more straight limon,very cloudy unfiltered beer but most craft brews are, tried it at a cool temperature to extract more flavors, probly taste great on a hot day when these are ice cold.

3.23/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a glass. 3/4 head. Then 1/2 head then 1/4 head, then none. Hazy yellow color. Beautiful aroma, lemonade, lemon pledge. Taste is 1% hops, 1% malt. 98% lenonade. While not a very "beery" beer it has enough flavor to pass as one. Very lemonady, like an Arnold Palmer minus the tea amd plus beer. Overall not bad. Very refreshing. A gpod beer for sitting outside on a hot summer day.

3.45/5  rDev +10.6%

Having never tried a "shandy" before I was very apprehensive. Beer with Lemonade sounded disgusting to me. I was mistaken. This hazy white/golden colored beer was a pleasant surprise. The sweetness and well, lemonade flavor make it a pretty good summer beer.

3.15/5  rDev +1%

Pours a nice bright yellow with a two finger white head that fizzes away at a fair pace and leaves some lacing. Smells strongly of lemon and not much else. Taste is of carbonated lemonade with some malts thrown in. This was a surprise to me as I was expecting more balance, not that it was a bad taste, it just threw me off. Mouthfeel was decent, again like carbonated lemonade. This was an interesting beer and was really refreshing for sure, but it's not something I would get again myself.

4.61/5  rDev +47.8%

I bought a six pack of this a few years ago. I polished off 5 bottles in 25 minutes, before I realized how much I had. This stuff is evil! I've sworn it off.

It goes down too easily. It's best to skip it, if you're thirsty. It tastes more like lemonade, than a beer.

3.07/5  rDev -1.6%

The appearance is not impressive, but not bad either. The head, never much, dissipates into near nothingness extremely fast, leaving a cloudy dark yellow.

It smells very nice, though not too strong. Unsurprisingly, the citrus scent from the lemon is evident immediately, mixing well with a slight alcohol nose. It actually sort of reminds me of lemon tea. A faint hint of spiciness.

Very tingly beer, reminding me of soda in how initially tingly we're talking. It smells like it tastes. Not strong, but nice. Very, very citrusy, so the six pack box wasn't lying when it told me this stuff was made with lemonade. It never really tastes much "like beer" to me, though, until I hit the aftertaste, which might actually be my favorite part of drinking this beer. It's got a very, very nice aftertaste. The lemon and alcohol tastes finally mix very well at that point. Before that, the lemon is more dominant.

Overall, an okay light beer. Without the lemonade background in its making, this would be very mediocre. As is, it's good enough past mediocre to be okay. I like it.

2.62/5  rDev -16%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours very pale straw, slightly cloudy with a 1 1/2 inch head the mostly disappeared. Some loose lacing that fell back into the beer.

Smells of grass, lemon, and some light spice.

This beer is dominated by the lemon. There were some softer malt/yeasty flavors and a hint of citrus other than lemon.

This beer was a bit thin, almost spritzy feel with medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit much. The label says "Weiss beer with lemon" so I was looking forward to something refreshing. Well the lemon was there, but I never did find the weiss beer part. It was light and ctirusy cool, but left me feeling more like I was holding a clear "malt" beverage than a beer. Too much lemon and way to sweet to even think about drinking more than one without getting a stomachache. Interesting, but more lemonade than beer. I won't be getting this one again.

3.13/5  rDev +0.3%

This was a suggestion from my son. He say's it's his favorite beer. My impression was that it has a citrus taste to it. But after he said he thinks it tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" I have to admit he had it nailed, it does taste like Fruity Pebbles. It definitely has a unique taste to it.

2.9/5  rDev -7.1%

poured into pint glass

A- cloudy yellow. head quickly disappeared. lacing sticks to glass nicely.Little to no carbonation.

S- Sweet blend of wheat and fresh lemonade. However it kind of reminds me of a Bud Light Lime or some other low quality fruit infused beer.

T- Pretty tasty. Initial lemon pow followed by even more lemon. Aftertaste is surprisingly... lemon!

M- Very easy going down. No carbonation on tongue with nothing but lemon aftertaste left in mouth.

D- I find this beer to taste more like a "bitch drink"(excuse the language) however it is easy to drink and on a weekend like the 4th of July I might end up with several in my belly. I wouldn't rush out to the store to buy more though.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company